Prospect Info: The 2021 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
A player draft can be done just as easily remotely as in person. Why rush gathering large swaths of people into indoor venues? Most places don't have everything in place yet not to risk a super spreader event. Holland just saw 1000+ get Covid a concert.

Agreed, also it takes a lot of time and logistics to organize an event of this stature. You can't just put one on in a couple of weeks, plus borders are still largely closed so how the heck are you getting everyone there lol.

I have no issue with another virtual event, they likely started planning for it months ago when things were still very much up in the air.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Watched a few scouting reports / films on Zach Dean, and he's intriguing. Lots of pace and skill at C. 17 might be a but high for him, though.

Reactions: ps241

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Watched a few scouting reports / films on Zach Dean, and he's intriguing. Lots of pace and skill at C. 17 might be a but high for him, though.

I've got my blackbook now so I'll have to look him up later:

Players I like based on watching and reading about so far in no particular order:

Lambos
Bourgault
Othman
Costa
Ceulemans

Reactions: BatVader

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Players I like based on watching and reading about so far in no particular order:

Lambos
Bourgault
Othman
Costa
Ceulemans
Agree. I like the Swedish wingers, too.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham

Lambos
Bourgault
Othman
Costa
Ceulemans
I’m still leaning heavily towards taking Ceulemans regardless if he’s still available…THD is a big need where LW and C are not

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I’m still leaning heavily towards taking Ceulemans regardless if he’s still available…THD is a big need where LW and C are not
Ceulemans won't make a difference for the Jets for 3-5 years. Lots could change by then. Still, he might be the best player available at 17.

Reactions: BatVader

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Ceulemans won't make a difference for the Jets for 3-5 years. Lots could change by then. Still, he might be the best player available at 17.
None of those available at that spot will make any difference for that time frame, but with what we have in the pipes now, RHD and RW are still our biggest areas of need

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Blackbook has him ranked 20th. They like his all around hockey IQ, work ethic and skill. They also like his ability to transition the puck.

I watched a shift by shift game and some highlights I think he'd also be a good pick for the Jets and might be a bit undervalued due to his slow start in the Q after coming back from an injury.

He definitely would bring something different to the table upfront then what we have.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Honestly, the player I’m most hoping falls to the JETS is Francesco Pinelli and they make no mistake in taking him with the #17 pick. He has enough skill, great work ethic/character to succeed. Could he become a Ryan O’Reilly, Anthony Cirelli type or dare I say Nick Suzuki? I believe he’s got all the tools and the hockey IQ that it’s not impossible.

That’s not to say I wouldn’t be happy with several others.

For forwards I really like the following players
Mackie Samoskevich
Logan Stankoven
Oskar Olausson
Chaz Lucius
Xavier Bourgault
Red Savage

If they are looking at defensemen these are some of my favourites
Scott Morrow
Corson Ceulemans
Ryan Ufko
Carson Lambos
Vinny Iorio
Jack Bar
Bryce Montgomery

*Logan Mailloux was an interesting prospect. Just not sure what the JETS stance will be regarding his issues.

Overall I’d be thrilled with any sort of combination of these as their 3 picks. Really wish Chevy could throw his scouts a bone by getting them an additional 2nd

#17 Pinelli
#50 Morrow
#82 Iorio

Last edited:

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
The betting odds on PlayNow for Jets 1st selection:

Corson Ceulemans 2.25
Carson Lambos 6.00
Aatu Raty 8.00
Fabian Lysell 8.50
Chaz Lucius 9.00
Zachary Bolduc 9.00
Fyodor Svechkov 10.00
Logan Stankoven 11.00
Matt Coronato 11.00
Sasha Pastujov 11.00

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I head to the office tomorrow for the first time in 3 weeks. I plan to buy the Black Book and dig in this week.
How many prospects are usually covered in the Black Book? If it’s inexpensive enough I might purchase it next week after the draft and read about all the Jets picks if they’re in there

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
How many prospects are usually coveted in the Black Book? If it’s inexpensive enough I might purchase it next week after the draft and read about all the Jets picks if they’re in there

They cover 109 prospects in the 2021 draft with detail writeups on each, and have brief writeups on 30 or so prospects for each of the 2022 and 2023 drafts. There is 500 plus pages.

I bought it for the first time this year and it's well worth the money imo.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
They cover 109 prospects in the 2021 draft with detail writeups on each, and have brief writeups on 30 or so prospects for each of the 2022 and 2023 drafts. There is 500 plus pages.

Their ranking for 2022 is OUT there.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

Thanks, next time I’m near Chapters I’ll grab a copy

Whileee

May 29, 2010
McKenzie's list drops tomorrow. In terms of understanding how the 1st round is likely to play out, his list is by far the most informative.

This year I purchased the guides from Elite Prospects and HockeyProspect.com ("Black Book"). They are both informative in different ways and they gave quite different rankings, so they provide some diverse perspectives.

Reactions: ps241 and surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
McKenzie's list drops tomorrow. In terms of understanding how the 1st round is likely to play out, his list is by far the most informative.

This year I purchased the guides from Elite Prospects and HockeyProspect.com ("Black Book"). They are both informative in different ways and they gave quite different rankings, so they provide some diverse perspectives.

Yup, rankings are really all over the map this year. It was really interesting to read the NHL scout comments in the blackbook and how different scouts saw completely different things in players. Some of the comments also gave me some pause as to just how trained some of these scouts are to make these calls. I can see why certain teams are not so successful given some of the takes.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
How many prospects are usually covered in the Black Book? If it’s inexpensive enough I might purchase it next week after the draft and read about all the Jets picks if they’re in there

Sorry for the delay it looks like @surixon got you your answer!

Reactions: snowkiddin

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yup, rankings are really all over the map this year. It was really interesting to read the NHL scout comments in the blackbook and how different scouts saw completely different things in players. Some of the comments also gave me some pause as to just how trained some of these scouts are to make these calls. I can see why certain teams are not so successful given some of the takes.

The guys I talk to on this say that one of the important things is making sure you get a good sample size when you are scouting. Like anything else though there are going to be people that are flat out better at talent projection evaluation.

What I would be most interested in is finding out how orgs do internal reviews for individual scout efficiency. So you leave it up to your director of scouting? Do guys build lists of the talent in their territory and do these lists get graded over time?

Reactions: surixon

jimsabo21

Jul 2, 2011
Will Scouch (Scouching's) final rankings YouTube video. A bit of a long watch (40 mins), but he goes into some depth on every first round prospect including video and analytics. I personally agree with his evaluation methods.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Will Scouch (Scouching's) final rankings YouTube video. A bit of a long watch (40 mins), but he goes into some depth on every first round prospect including video and analytics. I personally agree with his evaluation methods.

Yes, it's a good listen. I watched during a workout this weekend - certainly not as invigorating as live REM or U2 on "blast", but a good way to get a snapshot of some of the top players.

He's particularly high on Stankoven and Lysell, compared to others. He also likes a couple of the other Swedish wingers (Robertsson and Rosen).

He's getting a bit higher on Lambos, but seems pretty unsure about Ceulemans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad