The 2018 Panthers off-season thread-Petrovic is back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
who do u realistically think we could get at 2C and for what?
There is not a quality 2C that would come here. Stastny is probably the only guy and at 32 he certainly will not retain his present salary of $7.5M. Someone will grab him for 3 or 4 years at $5.5 to $6M and I doubt the owners would pay him. If Tavares leaves, then the Isles will probably scoop him up. Next up is Bozak and he is more a 3C at his age that also could likely grab $4.5 to $5M for 3 or 4 years to a team willing to pay. Lots of competition, especially with the Habs who need both a 1C and 2C.

Hopefully one of McCann or Borg can get good enough in the FO circle to at least give us a viable 3C for the stretch run next season. I don't see either of them solidifying their position as an NHL center until the following season. :)

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
^ I'm a bit torn on the vets versus young guns thing.

On the one hand it's pretty clear that Point and Cirelli and DeBrusk and Pastrnak and Heinen are just better at this point than R Nash and Marleau and Backes and Pavelski and a bunch of slowing down vets.

On the other hand, they can't carry their teams without the Bergerons and the Marchands and the Kucherovs etc, and they aren't really even better (except for maybe Pasta) than the next tier vets like Hornquist or Palat or T Johnson etc.

Getting the draft picks right is critical, almost every year. But picking a couple of FA vets right (don't have to do this every year) is also critical. We did well with Yandle and Dadonov. Hope we do well with even one FA add this summer. That could be huge. Just one!

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
^ I'm a bit torn on the vets versus young guns thing.

On the one hand it's pretty clear that Point and Cirelli and DeBrusk and Pastrnak and Heinen are just better at this point than R Nash and Marleau and Backes and Pavelski and a bunch of slowing down vets.

On the other hand, they can't carry their teams without the Bergerons and the Marchands and the Kucherovs etc, and they aren't really even better (except for maybe Pasta) than the next tier vets like Hornquist or Palat or T Johnson etc.

Getting the draft picks right is critical, almost every year. But picking a couple of FA vets right (don't have to do this every year) is also critical. We did well with Yandle and Dadonov. Hope we do well with even one FA add this summer. That could be huge. Just one!
but who? none of us are very high on the options out there which is why I think in the end its gotta be a trade for a hoffman type player. someone on a tolerable contract that will give us 2 scoring lines. Id really like to see 2 players like him because injuries that didn't happen last year will almost certainly happen this year but I know one is the best we can possibly hope for/afford.

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
I will be disappointed if I see Barkov and Trocheck taking defensive zone faceoffs for the 3rd line again next season. That can't be a permanent solution and it will hold us back. We can't just make quick fixes on the fly and pretend everything is ok long-term. Look at Vegas. They can throw any of their four lines in the defensive zone. Eakin and Bellemare as #3C and #4C do PK and are about (or over) 50% in the faceoffs. It is not a certainty that Boughner trusts Borgstrom or McCann to do the job next year (both around 40% faceoff wins). I think it might be a good idea to bring in another experienced cheap C like Brodziak, Vermette or Beagle.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Evander Kane is another option for the top 6. He did extremely well in his short time in San Jose. He would add some toughness, is only 26, UFA. Solid in the playoffs too.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
If Dougie Hamilton is available that's a guy we should go after. It wouldn't be cheap but our first this year, Mascherin and something else could be a starting point.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
If Dougie Hamilton is available that's a guy we should go after. It wouldn't be cheap but our first this year, Mascherin and something else could be a starting point.
He's listed at $5.5M/yr ... I'd definitely go for a trade not involving core or Borg.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
He's listed at $5.5M/yr ... I'd definitely go for a trade not involving core or Borg.
borgstrom would have to be on the table for Hamilton. Might be able to get it done without him, but you aren't getting a deal like that done without it hurting badly somewhere

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Evander Kane is another option for the top 6. He did extremely well in his short time in San Jose. He would add some toughness, is only 26, UFA. Solid in the playoffs too.
Yeah, just what we need.......Evander Kane. I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him anywhere near South Beach. You ever see that tweet of his in LV with all the money in his hands showing Mayweather he is a player? He was trouble in Winnipeg, trouble in Buffalo, and his short stop in SJ was just a probationary PR scam for a new contract. This is a guy who is capital TROUBLE and next to his namesake Patrick, is cut from the same moral cloth. :)

Reactions: I am not exposed

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Yeah, just what we need.......Evander Kane. I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him anywhere near South Beach. You ever see that tweet of his in LV with all the money in his hands showing Mayweather he is a player? He was trouble in Winnipeg, trouble in Buffalo, and his short stop in SJ was just a probationary PR scam for a new contract. This is a guy who is capital TROUBLE and next to his namesake Patrick, is cut from the same moral cloth. :)
Oh no, a young rich athlete likes to party! As if any major city doesn't have nightlife.

Reactions: CaptainScrewy

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Oh no, a young rich athlete likes to party! As if any major city doesn't have nightlife.
Even if (which it's fair to do) we ignore the multiple sexual assault charges, there's still no doubt that

1. He was hated in both Winnipeg and Buffalo's dressing room-which is extremely concerning
2. He's definitely not the type of #Character player Tallon wants
3. Anecdotal but at the Panthers Sabres game in February he spent the entirety of a 1 goal game yelling from the Buffalo bench at Petro, completely ignoring the game.

harv33173

Oct 5, 2003
i'd take kane in a heartbeat for the right price. he played well in san jose and that's definitely a party town and appeared to be well liked by both the players and coach!

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Just an overall bad guy. Did you see the cross-check to the face of Pierre-Edouard Bellemare? That was a complete lowlife move IMO. He only pulls that crap with players that he knows won't beat the snot out of him. He was running around mouthing off in a game against Vegas before the playoffs when Reaves challenged him and he couldn't get off the ice fast enough. Byfuglien also threatened to beat the crap out of him in the Jets locker room and he put his tail between his legs. He stayed away from Haley when Haley was trolling him on the bench after he was giving Petro a hard time. He's lucky he has hockey to support himself otherwise I think he'd be doing time. :)

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany

Thats true but with kane you have the same Problem as with Marchand, the total Blackouts and upcoming suspension. Only for Kane cause he is no Marchand and only Marchand and a a handful get away with anything.

sorry i would find it be funny if Kane goes to Vegas, in the City where the shit and bad news around him beguns. :D

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Evander Kane was a guy I wanted for a decent price at the deadline. He is not at all the type of guy I want on the team long term.

I'm really hoping we don't sign a big UFA winger. They literally never work out. We'd be much better off trying to acquire one through a trade and getting a C in FA. Tavares is ideal. Wouldn't mind Thornton either, especially if we draft Veleno who will be NHL ready by 2019-20.

Trocheck doesn't need high end wingers. He just needs guys who won't get in his way and don't need the puck on their sticks. Malgin's speed and finishing ability and Vatrano's nose for the net and shot make me think they'd be good compliments on either side. We have already have Huberdeau, Dadanov and Borgstrom to play in the top 6, trade Bjugstad+ for an upgrade and have that new guy play with the new C and Borgstrom.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
ive never been impressed with evander kane, dont want him. he'll cost too much for what he'll most likely ultimately bring, and he could bring some baggage, although i admit thats last on the things im worried about. i just dont think hes that great.

Reactions: Boothinator

Boothinator

@MrBoothinator
Sep 19, 2009

I think he will resign with SJ. Especially if Thornton takes a paycut

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
The salary cap didn’t deliver the Golden Knights’ top line; bad talent evaluation did

Here's some salt for the folks that are still suffering from the "DT had no choice, he had to cut salary"-delusion. :)

It'll be interesting what kind of a brain dead move DT will be planning to execute when Seattle enters into the league in a few years. The Cats need a new GM before the next exp draft.
Ah yes, an article that suggests we should've been able to dump Demers along with Smith to Vegas and dismisses the notion of an internal cap.

What a brilliantly written piece indeed.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Ah yes, an article that suggests we should've been able to dump Demers along with Smith to Vegas and dismisses the notion of an internal cap.

What a brilliantly written piece indeed.
You can tell if someone just uses analytics without watching the player based on their view of Jason Demers:

By calling him a #3, I know @Jeffler watched zero Florida Panther games. Don't get me wrong, everything else he said in that tweet is right, but the McGinn trade was great for Florida because it got rid of a horrendous player on a bad deal (that Arizona is already trying to trade lol) for a serviceable (granted extremely overpaid) bottom 6er who will be gone soon.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
The salary cap didn’t deliver the Golden Knights’ top line; bad talent evaluation did

Here's some salt for the folks that are still suffering from the "DT had no choice, he had to cut salary"-delusion. :)

It'll be interesting what kind of a brain dead move DT will be planning to execute when Seattle enters into the league in a few years. The Cats need a new GM before the next exp draft.

Going down as one of the worst decisions by DT. I'm ready for Pronger to take over.

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
People are still crying over the fact GM GM didn't want to deal with other GMs than his friends ?

Or that every other GM around the league didn't offer more than a 4th-rounder for Rielly Smith ?

I'm not sure which one it is...

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
You can tell if someone just uses analytics without watching the player based on their view of Jason Demers:

By calling him a #3, I know @Jeffler watched zero Florida Panther games. Don't get me wrong, everything else he said in that tweet is right, but the McGinn trade was great for Florida because it got rid of a horrendous player on a bad deal (that Arizona is already trying to trade lol) for a serviceable (granted extremely overpaid) bottom 6er who will be gone soon.
+ it opened a spot for Weegar, who already showed last season (granted in a very small sample size) that he's at least on par with what Demers can bring. The difference between the two is that the kid is getting paid 3.5M-ish less per (assuming that Weegar's extension is around 1-1.75M per).

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
+ it opened a spot for Weegar, who already showed last season (granted in a very small sample size) that he's at least on par with what Demers can bring. The difference between the two is that the kid is getting paid 3.5M-ish less per (assuming that Weegar's extension is around 1-1.75M per).
Putting garnish on it only makes it somewhat more bearable.

We needed a couple 2nd liners all year last year. Smith and March could have both filled those spots easily.

What happened to Smitty had nothing to do with making room for Weegar. Also dont believe it is 100% on DT, but it still doesnt make it better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad