The 2018 Panthers off-season thread-Petrovic is back

Status
Not open for further replies.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
@vendetra still cant read your post, as i said in the last post i quoted you, that you arguments out of Line.
But since i saw your post while reading not logged in.

Tell me why was the greatest most effective Lines Panthers ever had 3 Way play. 1st Years Fleischmann/Weiss/Versteeg one of the best chemistry 1st line for a while. Also was one Deadly PP.
Hub/Bar/Jagr under Gallant was one of the most feared hard to play against Line. And that was Barkov 2 years ago with an Injury during the Season.

Now you have Dadonov/Barkov and trocheck/Huberdeau and we miss PO. Another great Dou Toews/kane since 3rd Line member must traded away and one gone out of PO. McDavid/Draisaitl no third Linemate out of the PO. Gaudreau/Monahan out of the PO. So i see where your argument had some solid ground the whole League runs with Pairs.

OH by the Way WSH 3 person 1st Line, Winnipeg 3 Person 1st line, Vegas 3 Person 1st Line, jets 1st+nd 3 person line, Pittsburgh Duo (out of PO after 2nd Round) Tampa 3 person chemisty 1st Line.

It must be an miracle that all the Teams, who push and get the max chemistry and Line combination out of their TopLine reach the PO and get far. Must be a true miracle since anyone in the League runs Duo.
I forgot LA 3 person 1st Line over years.
Phi 3 Person 1st Line + 2nd Line
Toronto 1st and 2nd Line chemistry 3 person.
Columbus 1st Line 3 person
Minnesota 1st Line 3 person very effective during regular Season. known for Goals in less SOG

I think i will call the league and say, hey Guys its only allowed to run with Duos then 3 person line Chemisry.

By the Way Years Pantehrs reached PO. 1st Line 3 person Line chemistry. maybe it has something to do with, its harder to focus on 3 player in the O Zone then 2 Players, double Teams the Puck Carrier and game opener, goes the 3rd Person is not serious to take on the Line in chemistry.

By the Way for the you and the other Poster, i saw beside 5-9 Games nearly every Panthers Game Live, from EU that means go to Bed at 4AM. Maybe your not thinked till the end post, hand over Bjugstad skill, was an argument to block your post.

OMG how could i forgot i want denied that, the most effective Time Bjugstad had, was in the Beginning of the Season, the great Line chemistry on 3rd Line. I think i forgot but maybe it was a 3 person Line chemistry. But maybe it was also a Duo, but that was the Beginning of the Season and the Time was long ago.
Nice try but your wrong.. scheiffele wheeler.. they switch up Connor on that line when it's not going good. Same with every other first line u mentioned.. you just don't pay attention. I could through and list all the players and teams u claim keep the same 3 on a line but it's just not true.. Washington? No usually backstrom ovi. Tampa? Nope stamkos kucherov were kept most of the time.. I could go on and on. Your just misinformed.. its ok your entitled to your opinion even tho it is very inaccurate.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
But it brings me nothing if i have 1 1/2 Top 6 Players with Line chemistry. Be fair 1st Line Chemistry is Barkov/Dadonov and Trocheck/Huberdeau and thats was it for Line chemistry.
But in my sense to get the best and most out of each other, means get 3 Players into one Line, special in the Top Lines on each Team. That they can help and push each other to the max.
Now anyone should tell me how Bjugstad as a WINGMAN in word and meaning, can help and push Barkov.
Sure Bjugstad had a better Year but is a one man show on a Line with two Players. Im not happy that we still dont get the max out of our two Top Lines.

But yes Top4 Top2 Physcial Defensman is a most this Season.

Bjugstad was the 3rd best possession generator and 2nd best primary points per 60 player on the team last year. And this was with a slow first half of the year where he wasn't getting any ice time.

Is he Blake Wheeler ? No.

He is being maximized by playing with Barkov and Dadonov. That allows Trocheck to play with Huberdeau. The entire team went on a tear after Boughner made that lineup decision.

All those teams you mention: TB, WAS, WPG, etc that made the playoffs got there because they aren't playing forwards like Jaimie McGinn in their top 6 or on the Power Play.

They aren't playing Derek Mckenzie or Michael Haley who were two of the worst forwards in the NHL with regards to point production.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
@vendetra still cant read your post, as i said in the last post i quoted you, that you arguments out of Line.
But since i saw your post while reading not logged in.

Tell me why was the greatest most effective Lines Panthers ever had 3 Way play. 1st Years Fleischmann/Weiss/Versteeg one of the best chemistry 1st line for a while. Also was one Deadly PP.
Hub/Bar/Jagr under Gallant was one of the most feared hard to play against Line. And that was Barkov 2 years ago with an Injury during the Season.

Now you have Dadonov/Barkov and trocheck/Huberdeau and we miss PO. Another great Dou Toews/kane since 3rd Line member must traded away and one gone out of PO. McDavid/Draisaitl no third Linemate out of the PO. Gaudreau/Monahan out of the PO. So i see where your argument had some solid ground the whole League runs with Pairs.

OH by the Way WSH 3 person 1st Line, Winnipeg 3 Person 1st line, Vegas 3 Person 1st Line, jets 1st+nd 3 person line, Pittsburgh Duo (out of PO after 2nd Round) Tampa 3 person chemisty 1st Line.

It must be an miracle that all the Teams, who push and get the max chemistry and Line combination out of their TopLine reach the PO and get far. Must be a true miracle since anyone in the League runs Duo.
I forgot LA 3 person 1st Line over years.
Phi 3 Person 1st Line + 2nd Line
Toronto 1st and 2nd Line chemistry 3 person.
Columbus 1st Line 3 person
Minnesota 1st Line 3 person very effective during regular Season. known for Goals in less SOG

I think i will call the league and say, hey Guys its only allowed to run with Duos then 3 person line Chemisry.

By the Way Years Pantehrs reached PO. 1st Line 3 person Line chemistry. maybe it has something to do with, its harder to focus on 3 player in the O Zone then 2 Players, double Teams the Puck Carrier and game opener, goes the 3rd Person is not serious to take on the Line in chemistry.

By the Way for the you and the other Poster, i saw beside 5-9 Games nearly every Panthers Game Live, from EU that means go to Bed at 4AM. Maybe your not thinked till the end post, hand over Bjugstad skill, was an argument to block your post.

OMG how could i forgot i want denied that, the most effective Time Bjugstad had, was in the Beginning of the Season, the great Line chemistry on 3rd Line. I think i forgot but maybe it was a 3 person Line chemistry. But maybe it was also a Duo, but that was the Beginning of the Season and the Time was long ago.

I'll take you up on your assertion that other teams first line were better than our first line, or that McDavid and Monahan's line were not good enough since they are duos and not trios. Let's see if you are correct or if you are completly wrong.

GF/60 --- GF%

Dadonov-Barkov-Bjugstad: 4.72 --- 61.7%
Huberdeau-Barkov-Dadonov: 3.4 --- 56.8%
Huberdeau-Barkov-Bjugstad: 3.17 --- 66.7%
Huberdeau-Trocheck-Malgin: 2.94 --- 52.9%

Draisaitl-McDavid-Maroon: 3.73 --- 62.1%
Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland: 3.49 --- 63.08%

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler: 2.94 ---56.6%
Laine-Stastny-Ehlers: 4.57 --- 69.6%
Ovechkin-Backstrom-Wilson: 2.65 --- 59.4%
Marchy-Karlsson-Smith: 3.99 --- 66.7%
Stamkos-Kucherov-Namestnikov: 3.43 --- 55.8%
Stamkos-Kucherov-Miller: 3.54 --- 42.86%
Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist: 3.65 --- 64.3%
Rust-Crosby-Guentzel: 2.21 --- 58.82%
Iafallo-Kopitar-Brown: 3.03 --- 67.4%
Giroux-Couturier-Konecny: 4.13 --- 64.2%
Voracek-Patrick-Simmonds: 2.63 --- 50%
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander: 4.13 --- 65.6%
Marner-Kadri-Marleau: 2.95 --- 58.06%
Panarin-Dubois-Atkinson: 3.38 --- 69.23%
Zucker-Staal-Granlund: 4.3 ---- 55%
Marchand-Bergeron-Pastranak: 2.58 --- 61.36%

2011-2012: Fleischmann/Weiss/Versteeg: 2.75 --- 51.52%
2015-2016: Hub/Bar/Jagr: 3.53 --- 67.9%

You are completly wrong.

If you think that we didn't get max chemistry out of the 1st line, you have no idea what you are talking about. The Barkov line, in any configuration was one of the best line in hockey. There are no arguments against that.

The only line you mentionned that is comparable to Dadonov-Barkov-Bjugstad is Winnipeg's thrid line, with easy assignment and a smallish sample size. The rest of the first line you enumerated get crush! In the whole league, only 2 lines have been more productive than the Dadonov-Barkov-Bjugstad line. 2!! And both these lines have smallish sample size and 200 minutes less of ice time together.

You'll need to find an other scapegoat, because if this team didn't make the playoffs it's not because their first line was not good enough, far from it. It's all about depth. Same reason McDavid and Monahan didn't make the playoffs, depth. They also had goaltending issues.

Just because I feel like it, let's look at the best lines of the past 5 years that played 300 minutes together and compare it to Dadonov-Barkov-Bjugstad. Let's see how they stack.

2017-2018: Dadonov - Barkov - Bjugstad: 4.72 --- 61.7%
2017-2018: Beauvillier - Barzal - Eberle: 4.34 --- 61.9%
2016-2017: Brown - Matthews - Hyman: 3.67 ---60.53%
2016-2017: Maroon - McDavid - Draistl: 3.57 --- 60.38%
2015-2016: Kunitz - Crosby - Hornqvist: 4.83 --- 75%
2015-2016: Smith - Forsberg - Ribeiro: 4.21 --- 64.7%
2014-2015: Kucherov - Palat - Johnson: 4.31 --- 67.6%
2014-2015: Schwartz - Lehtera - Tarasenko: 3.62 --- 64%
2013-2014: Jokinen - Malkin - Neal: 4.86 --- 75%
2013-2014: Seguin - Benn - Nichushkin: 4.55 --- 74.5%

So 3 lines were better than Dadonov-Barkov-Bjugstad in the past 5 years ... but yeah, they didn't get max chemistry since obviously they should have outplayed Crosby and Malkin....

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Bjugstad was the 3rd best possession generator and 2nd best primary points per 60 player on the team last year. And this was with a slow first half of the year where he wasn't getting any ice time.

Is he Blake Wheeler ? No.

He is being maximized by playing with Barkov and Dadonov. That allows Trocheck to play with Huberdeau. The entire team went on a tear after Boughner made that lineup decision.

All those teams you mention: TB, WAS, WPG, etc that made the playoffs got there because they aren't playing forwards like Jaimie McGinn in their top 6 or on the Power Play.

They aren't playing Derek Mckenzie or Michael Haley who were two of the worst forwards in the NHL with regards to point production.
The thing about it is, Bjugstad is not even close to the player he can be IMO. I feel if the right coach talks to him, he could reach a much higher level. I hope that right coach isn't with another team.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I'll take you up on your assertion that other teams first line were better than our first line, or that McDavid and Monahan's line were not good enough since they are duos and not trios. Let's see if you are correct or if you are completly wrong.

GF/60 --- GF%

Dadonov-Barkov-Bjugstad: 4.72 --- 61.7%
Huberdeau-Barkov-Dadonov: 3.4 --- 56.8%
Huberdeau-Barkov-Bjugstad: 3.17 --- 66.7%
Huberdeau-Trocheck-Malgin: 2.94 --- 52.9%

Draisaitl-McDavid-Maroon: 3.73 --- 62.1%
Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland: 3.49 --- 63.08%

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler: 2.94 ---56.6%
Laine-Stastny-Ehlers: 4.57 --- 69.6%
Ovechkin-Backstrom-Wilson: 2.65 --- 59.4%
Marchy-Karlsson-Smith: 3.99 --- 66.7%
Stamkos-Kucherov-Namestnikov: 3.43 --- 55.8%
Stamkos-Kucherov-Miller: 3.54 --- 42.86%
Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist: 3.65 --- 64.3%
Rust-Crosby-Guentzel: 2.21 --- 58.82%
Iafallo-Kopitar-Brown: 3.03 --- 67.4%
Giroux-Couturier-Konecny: 4.13 --- 64.2%
Voracek-Patrick-Simmonds: 2.63 --- 50%
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander: 4.13 --- 65.6%
Marner-Kadri-Marleau: 2.95 --- 58.06%
Panarin-Dubois-Atkinson: 3.38 --- 69.23%
Zucker-Staal-Granlund: 4.3 ---- 55%
Marchand-Bergeron-Pastranak: 2.58 --- 61.36%

2011-2012: Fleischmann/Weiss/Versteeg: 2.75 --- 51.52%
2015-2016: Hub/Bar/Jagr: 3.53 --- 67.9%

You are completly wrong.

If you think that we didn't get max chemistry out of the 1st line, you have no idea what you are talking about. The Barkov line, in any configuration was one of the best line in hockey. There are no arguments against that.

The only line you mentionned that is comparable to Dadonov-Barkov-Bjugstad is Winnipeg's thrid line, with easy assignment and a smallish sample size. The rest of the first line you enumerated get crush! In the whole league, only 2 lines have been more productive than the Dadonov-Barkov-Bjugstad line. 2!! And both these lines have smallish sample size and 200 minutes less of ice time together.

You'll need to find an other scapegoat, because if this team didn't make the playoffs it's not because their first line was not good enough, far from it. It's all about depth. Same reason McDavid and Monahan didn't make the playoffs, depth. They also had goaltending issues.

Just because I feel like it, let's look at the best lines of the past 5 years that played 300 minutes together and compare it to Dadonov-Barkov-Bjugstad. Let's see how they stack.

2017-2018: Dadonov - Barkov - Bjugstad: 4.72 --- 61.7%
2017-2018: Beauvillier - Barzal - Eberle: 4.34 --- 61.9%
2016-2017: Brown - Matthews - Hyman: 3.67 ---60.53%
2016-2017: Maroon - McDavid - Draistl: 3.57 --- 60.38%
2015-2016: Kunitz - Crosby - Hornqvist: 4.83 --- 75%
2015-2016: Smith - Forsberg - Ribeiro: 4.21 --- 64.7%
2014-2015: Kucherov - Palat - Johnson: 4.31 --- 67.6%
2014-2015: Schwartz - Lehtera - Tarasenko: 3.62 --- 64%
2013-2014: Jokinen - Malkin - Neal: 4.86 --- 75%
2013-2014: Seguin - Benn - Nichushkin: 4.55 --- 74.5%

So 3 lines were better than Dadonov-Barkov-Bjugstad in the past 5 years ... but yeah, they didn't get max chemistry since obviously they should have outplayed Crosby and Malkin....

Are you Rainman? Or a wizard? Your analytics and number crunching is impressive. I remember it dating back to the Bjugstad thread and obviously it continued before, when I wasn't a member of this site yet. :cheers:

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
The thing about it is, Bjugstad is not even close to the player he can be IMO. I feel if the right coach talks to him, he could reach a much higher level. I hope that right coach isn't with another team.
I think last year was about as good as it's going to get. If the 1st line stays healthy and maybe if he gets more powerplay time I wouldn't be surprised if he hits 60 but he's going to be 26 going into his 7th season.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
As well as Nick did last year he still hasn't retained the accuracy/velocity he once had since the hand/wrist injury. A good off season rest and then going to his Uncle's shooting school just might do the trick. As much as I think he's a great person and solid hockey player, if the chance comes to move him they should. Like Smith, a change of scenery just might be the best medicine to light a fire. :)

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
As well as Nick did last year he still hasn't retained the accuracy/velocity he once had since the hand/wrist injury. A good off season rest and then going to his Uncle's shooting school just might do the trick. As much as I think he's a great person and solid hockey player, if the chance comes to move him they should. Like Smith, a change of scenery just might be the best medicine to light a fire. :)
Yeah, but what's in it for us? :rant: :)

Reactions: I am not exposed

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I've been saying for a long time that moving Nick would be a huge mistake. I had no idea the first line stats with him were THAT good. Now I think that it would be lunacy to trade him.

Nick was seriously impaired by injuries prior to this year, other than his first year. It's incredible that people don't acknowledge this.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I've been saying for a long time that moving Nick would be a huge mistake. I had no idea the first line stats with him were THAT good. Now I think that it would be lunacy to trade him.

Nick was seriously impaired by injuries prior to this year, other than his first year. It's incredible that people don't acknowledge this.

I agree. Trade Nick when Tippett is producing 50+pts, he showed this year to be fairly strong down low, on the forecheck and responsible on the backchecks while putting up a decent amount of points, think 60pts is still possible for the Bjeast. Also can be a mentor to Tippett.

Who's to say he doesn't hit 50-55pts again this year? Those are Reilly Smith numbers, he just needs to play more PK to help ease Trochecks usage or give him more PP to boost his production.

He provides all that and depth as well, Malgin and Vatrano are still young and youngish respectively so other than Dadonov playing on his opposite wing and Sceviour, we don't have a ton of RW experience.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Yeah, but what's in it for us? :rant: :)
Barkov had hit the wall at the end of March and the Cats lost the final three games of that month. Mr. Boo scapegoated Nick the first game in April after he turned the puck over that resulted in a goal and Sceviour was in. Apparently, Boo felt Nick hadn't stepped up when the line needed a spark.

I feel Nick's success down the stretch was a byproduct of playing on the top line with Barkov/Dadonov. That's just my own eye test and I would bet Tallon feels differently. Since Tallon seems to be in the drivers seat, there is a 90% chance that Nick stays. The only way he is moved is if Tallon has an opportunity to acquire a player that would make Boughner happy. Time will tell this off season. :)

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I feel Nick's success down the stretch was a byproduct of playing on the top line with Barkov/Dadonov. That's just my own eye test and I would bet Tallon feels differently. Since Tallon seems to be in the drivers seat, there is a 90% chance that Nick stays. The only way he is moved is if Tallon has an opportunity to acquire a player that would make Boughner happy. Time will tell this off season. :)

If we were to move Nick,

Braun + Tierney/Labanc
for
Bjugstad + Pysyk + Mascherin?

Really like Labancs game, been producing in every league he's played, his last two OHL years were better than Trocheck in terms of points, think Trocheck but more of a playmaker. Only thing is we have Malgin too as a RHS playmaker.

Or

D. Hamilton and Ferland
For
2018 1st, Bjugstad, Pysyk and Mascherin

Last edited:

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
If we were to move Nick,

Braun + Tierney/Labanc
for
Bjugstad + Pysyk + Mascherin?

Really like Labancs game, been producing in every league he's played, his last two OHL years were better than Trocheck in terms of points, think Trocheck but more of a playmaker. Only thing is we have Malgin too as a RHS playmaker.

Or

D. Hamilton and Ferland
For
2018 1st, Bjugstad, Pysyk and Mascherin
Remains to be seen if the rats abandon the ship and refuse to sign extensions if they sign Kane. Pavelski/Couture are there for another season at least, so they can let Thornton walk. If one of those guys tells mgt they will not resign prior to the TDL............then Nick could be an option. Personally, I would not want to be a part of any team that has signed Kane. The guy is a cancer.

Hamilton will go for much more than we can offer and I don't think they will move him unless it's a big return. Backlund, Frolik and Bennett had just an awful year in the plus/minus and their production fell off. I would guess if they could get rid of Brouwer and Frolik's contracts they would be happy. Brouwer will likely get bought out and I don't see anyone taking Frolik for 2 more years at $4.3M without them eating $1M per. Bennett is good in the FO circle but takes many stoopid penalties and is not really producing as they expected. He's going into his 4th year and his production keeps going south. I think a change of scenery might do him good. At worst he could replace Mac after next year. :)

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013

He was carried by considerably better players. He won't be traded but in a hypothetical scenario where I could move him for a dman and sign 2 UFA forwards I'd do it (that's complete fantasy though, and he definitely won't be moved).

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Nick's actual salary is going up starting this season and forward.

4.3, 5, and 5.2. Could be a factor down the line if the internal salary cap is still in effect.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Remains to be seen if the rats abandon the ship and refuse to sign extensions if they sign Kane. Pavelski/Couture are there for another season at least, so they can let Thornton walk. If one of those guys tells mgt they will not resign prior to the TDL............then Nick could be an option. Personally, I would not want to be a part of any team that has signed Kane. The guy is a cancer.

Hamilton will go for much more than we can offer and I don't think they will move him unless it's a big return. Backlund, Frolik and Bennett had just an awful year in the plus/minus and their production fell off. I would guess if they could get rid of Brouwer and Frolik's contracts they would be happy. Brouwer will likely get bought out and I don't see anyone taking Frolik for 2 more years at $4.3M without them eating $1M per. Bennett is good in the FO circle but takes many stoopid penalties and is not really producing as they expected. He's going into his 4th year and his production keeps going south. I think a change of scenery might do him good. At worst he could replace Mac after next year. :)

Thornton sounds like he will take a paycut to come back for one more year. SJ has some good young defensemen coming up through the pipeline so Braun isn't a long term stay in my eyes. Boughner knows his game which would help speed up the playing scheme/role he has coming here.

I don't see Tallon trading Nick as he's coming off his best all around year but Tippett is his replacement, a lot may depend on how well Owen develops. Also Nick shouldn't be protected come the SEA expansion draft so the next 2 years is the time to say goodbye. On the fence for this year to trade him but if it's in a package for a top 4 D then we do it.

If not Hamilton then maybe Brodie at a cheaper cost. Dougie went for a 1st and two 2nds No? So he's probably increased his value to a mid 1st, late 1st (Bjugstad) + 2nd/3rd = Mascherin.

Ferland = Pysyk

they need RW badly and they have Andersson, a young RD busting down the door. They also don't have a 1st, 2nd or 3rd this year in the draft too.

Just read some articles stating there is chatter about cashing in on Dougie to recoup some picks as more of their complimentary players are close to UFA and they may jump start the re-tool and have JG, SM, MT and RA being their core guys going forward while restocking the pond. :)

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
If not Hamilton then maybe Brodie at a cheaper cost. Dougie went for a 1st and two 2nds No? So he's probably increased his value to a mid 1st, late 1st (Bjugstad) + 2nd/3rd = Mascherin.

Ferland = Pysyk
brodie would also be really expensive, hes not going anywhere realistically. I would do pysyk for ferland in a heart beat, i doubt they do. and bjugstad doesnt exactly count as a late 1st, where someone was drafted in 2010 doesnt exactly mean anything anymore.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Thornton sounds like he will take a paycut to come back for one more year. SJ has some good young defensemen coming up through the pipeline so Braun isn't a long term stay in my eyes. Boughner knows his game which would help speed up the playing scheme/role he has coming here.

I don't see Tallon trading Nick as he's coming off his best all around year but Tippett is his replacement, a lot may depend on how well Owen develops. Also Nick shouldn't be protected come the SEA expansion draft so the next 2 years is the time to say goodbye. On the fence for this year to trade him but if it's in a package for a top 4 D then we do it.

Ferland = Pysyk

they need RW badly and they have Andersson, a young RD busting down the door. They also don't have a 1st, 2nd or 3rd this year in the draft too.

Just read some articles stating there is chatter about cashing in on Dougie to recoup some picks as more of their complimentary players are close to UFA and they may jump start the re-tool and have JG, SM, MT and RA being their core guys going forward while restocking the pond. :)
Consummating any deal for Nick with Tallon calling the shots will be tough. I already saw cracks in the Mr Boo/Tallon relationship start to appear during the year. Boo values Petro as a semi enforcer and Alex just doesn't want the job, hence he was benched at the beginning. The coach/player relationship is fractured IMO as Boo/Petro don't like each other. I think Tallon told Boo to get Petro back in the lineup. What they do with Nick will determine who has more strength with Viola........Tallon or the Committee/Boughner. If there is a good offer on the table for Nick, he will be moved before the draft. If not, they can wait until the TDL to give Tippett/Borg or others time to showcase their wares.

I'm not a big fan of doing a deal on a supposed 3/4 Dman to please Boo. I just don't see that much difference between Weegar and what is realistically available. Weegar at least offers the physicality necessary to do the job and his stock is on the rise. If McCoshen can't be the LH compliment to Petro on the 3rd pair, then see what's out there tradewise by offering up a pkg of Pysyk/Nick or maybe get lucky in the draft and have a stud fall to 15.

I can't see Calgary moving RW Ferland as he scored 21 G and had 41 pts. They need his component of physical play with Brouwer likely being bought out. Certainly Pysyk's value is no where near as important as Ferland to the Flames, especially since being exposed as a pure 3rd pair guy.

Hamilton is a cornerstone D. Hell he almost had a hat trick against us and is an excellent shut down guy. He was moved as he wanted out and Chiarelli is a proven idiot as attested many times in past transactions. :)

Last edited:

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
So just to catch up...

We like Bjugstad again, Huberdeau isn't good (to some people) and we're all agreeing with things Brokin says?

This is a weird summer

Reactions: Kid Icarus

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
And Tallon and Boughner don’t see eye to eye.
Didn't I already insinuate that? Many think Boo was sitting Petro because he stunk. His brother was on twitter saying we should trade him if we weren't going to play him. Petro himself was not happy that Boo was sitting him and let the press know: “Ever since I was scratched after Carolina, they didn’t really say anything to me after that game,” Petrovic said. “Just scratched me. I know I could have been better, but I think a lot of guys didn’t have their best games in that game either. I guess I was just singled out after that game. Since then, they’ve been talking to me on and off, but not very direct. At the start, they said I had to be hard to play against and everything. The Carolina game I had seven hits and a couple blocked shots. I don’t know how much harder you can play against someone.”

Hard to play against and he needs to clean up a few things per Boo. Tranlated: You will be a semi enforcer or you will not play. Scratched in 9 of the first 20 games till he was finally reinserted into the 3rd pairing and then was there the rest of the season. So ask yourself, did Petro all of a sudden change his game where it made Boo happy? IMO, no...........I think Tallon stepped in and told Boo to play "one of his guys" as his value was shrinking and he felt the pressure that Petro wanted out.

Don't agree? That's your right. ;)

Last edited:

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Didn't I already insinuate that? Many think Boo was sitting Petro because he stunk. His brother was on twitter saying we should trade him if we weren't going to play him. Petro himself was not happy that Boo was sitting him and let the press know: “Ever since I was scratched after Carolina, they didn’t really say anything to me after that game,” Petrovic said. “Just scratched me. I know I could have been better, but I think a lot of guys didn’t have their best games in that game either. I guess I was just singled out after that game. Since then, they’ve been talking to me on and off, but not very direct. At the start, they said I had to be hard to play against and everything. The Carolina game I had seven hits and a couple blocked shots. I don’t know how much harder you can play against someone.”

Hard to play against and he needs to clean up a few things per Boo. Tranlated: You will be a semi enforcer or you will not play. Scratched in 9 of the first 20 games till he was finally reinserted into the 3rd pairing and then was there the rest of the season. So ask yourself, did Petro all of a sudden change his game where it made Boo happy? IMO, no...........I think Tallon stepped in and told Boo to play "one of his guys" as his value was shrinking and he felt the pressure that Petro wanted out.

Don't agree? That's your right. ;)
I think the coach and GM of any NHL club try to make decisions that improve the on-ice result, rather than engaging in behind the scenes psychological scheming at the levels of teenage girls.

We all have our different perspectives I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad