Prospect Info: The 2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread

What Year Do You Want The Senators Pick?

• 2018: Since they won't be as bad as in 2019

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • 2019: Since they should retool making them worse off

Votes: 51 34.7%
  • Don't care, either year works for me

Votes: 53 36.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Boqvist appears to still be in the 4-7 range on most lists. The recent multiple concussion issues might scare a few teams though.

Montreal need LHD and wouldn't be a surprise to see them pick Hughes at #3. I think he was the one they wanted before winning the lottery.

I’ve seen him lower on some but he was a guy that was with regularity 2/3/4 on lists to start the season and is now pushing 7/8. The point was more that Boqvist was the #2 defensemen to start the season.

I expect Montreal to select Kotka.

Last edited:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Boqvist definitely fell for me. His offensive talent is high but I'm not sold on his defense at all, and as we all know I'm not a big fan of offense-only defensemen. Hughes is actually really solid defensively along with his dynamic puck skill, I could definitely see him fighting with Zadina for 3rd.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I did my first "mock draft" the other day and came up with this Top 10:

#1 - Buffalo: Rasmus Dahlin
#2 - Carolina: Andrei Svechnikov
#3 - Montreal: Jesperi Kotkaniemi
#4 - Ottawa: Filip Zadina
#5 - Arizona: Oliver Wahlstrom
#6 - Detroit: Adam Boqvist
#7 - Vancouver: Quinn Hughes
#8 - Chicago: Brady Tkachuk
#9 - Rangers: Noah Dobson
#10 - Oilers: Evan Bouchard

With the Avs taking Kravtsov at #16. Had Bokk going to the Flyers at 14, and Wilde to the Isles at #12

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
After seeing the results of the team board mock; trade down?

I know the Great Duchene Caper has sated in desire for quantity, but a team like the Rangers have 3 1sts, 2 2nds, and 2 3rds plus an extra 1st or 2nd from Tampa will probably want to consolidate some of that draft capital and Igor Shesterkin is a well rated goalie prospect.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
After seeing the results of the team board mock; trade down?

I know the Great Duchene Caper has sated in desire for quantity, but a team like the Rangers have 3 1sts, 2 2nds, and 2 3rds plus an extra 1st or 2nd from Tampa will probably want to consolidate some of that draft capital and Igor Shesterkin is a well rated goalie prospect.

What an odd non-sequitur.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Damn it, that lazy comparison to Greg made me roll my eyes so hard that they got stuck. Thanks a lot, jerk.

The main comparison I'm making is that I believe they will have similar NHL careers and the team that picks him in the first round will regret it.

Reactions: landy92mack29

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I’ve seen him lower on some but he was a guy that was with regularity 2/3/4 on lists to start the season and is now pushing 7/8. The point was more that Boqvist was the #2 defensemen to start the season.

I expect Montreal to select Kotka.

Habs are locked into Zadina and can't see them choosing anyone else.

Sens are likely looking into replacing EK, so either Hughes or Boqvist will be chosen 4th and the other player by AZN. Tkachuk will fall to the Canucks at 7 after not drafting the other brother years earlier.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
The main comparison I'm making is that I believe they will have similar NHL careers and the team that picks him in the first round will regret it.

Denisenko is kind of a boom or bust option.

However, he is exactly the type of player the AVs need for secondary scoring. He is often compared to Panarin which is really impressive. Breakaway offense, but not great defensively. I agree being risky, but if he can round out his game this could be an incredible selection.

He might not be a safe pick, but definitely a player the AVs should consider if available.

Reactions: McMetal

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Denisenko is kind of a boom or bust option.

However, he is exactly the type of player the AVs need for secondary scoring. He is often compared to Panarin which is really impressive. Breakaway offense, but not great defensively. I agree being risky, but if he can round out his game this could be an incredible selection.

He might not be a safe pick, but definitely a player the AVs should consider if available.
He's Russian, there's always going to be questions about how they transition to North American hockey. He has really intriguing puck skills, a high motor, and good vision which make him an interesting prospect, but there are a fair number of doubts about him too. I think the risk/reward profile is worth it at 16, although admittedly only if Kravtsov and Bokk are both gone, which seems unlikely. I wouldn't be mad if they believed in him there though.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Even if you think he’ll bust, bringing up Greg just makes your opinion more questionable. Greg’s a big, slow perimeter center with issues staying engaged on the ice; Denisenko is a not-very-big but quick winger with a good motor who attacks the net. It’s just a weird comparison to make cause they have little in common outside of their passports and having + hands...although Denisenko’s are definitely more magical.

He has some concerns about translating to the smaller ice and how much longer he’s going to stay in russia before his KHL deal expires & he decides to come over...but Grigorenko’s NHL time is not a reason to be concerned about Denisenko.

Last edited:

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Draftwired Mock

1/16 Noel, Serron RW Oshawa

2/47 Samuelsson, Adam LD U.S. U18

2/58 Marchenko, Kirill RW Mamonty Yugry

3/78 Kotkov, Vladislav LW/RW Chicoutimi

4/109 Kondelik, Joachim C/LW Muskegon

5/140 Douglas, Curtis C Windsor

6/171 Giles, Patrick C U.S. U18

7/202 Roberts, Connor C Flint

Reactions: JLo217 and LTC Pain

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
Draftwired Mock

This is my favourite mock for our first 2 picks. Landy's game (physical and defensive) showed well in the POs and Serron could provide more of that for future years. I like that Serron already has the skating to fit our current image to go along with the Ozone cycling and net-front presence which we are lacking in.

Samuelsson provides us with another good skating D-first big man to pair with one of our RH PMDs.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
That actually sounds like fun for us anyways. Who doesn't love a little chaos?
I'd still prefer to draft in the "sure top 12" though...if pick #16 is in the same tier as pick #45 that sucks a little.

Montreal have 3 picks in the top 45, that's interesting for them I guess.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003

I think it was probably worded poorly by the anonymous scout, because I think the suggestion is that there is a lack of consensus after the top 15 or so prospects. As a result, you could see a lot of perceived "off-the-board" picks in that range. But I don't really think it will be off the board if it is based on a team's own rankings, in light of the lack of consensus.

The Avs are in a position to pick up a high quality prospect at 16. I would like to see them look at packaging the two second rounders in an effort to select higher in the second round. I think you will see some high quality prospects go in the 32-42 range.

Speaking of "off-board-picks," one prospect that I am enamored with that I think may (or at least should) go much higher in the draft than expected (at least by the media) is Ty Dellandrea. He has a nice frame to add more mass, excellent skater, and he has a high compete level with an advanced defensive game for his age. Also, he is a center with a right-handed shot.

For all of the scouts (and media) that are in love with Hayton, I am not sure what would push Dellandrea further down than Hayton under the circumstances.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I've been watching more and more games lately and I hope to God we don't pick a goaler with either our 1st or two 2nds (3rd might be reaching that level as well). We need goaler prospects, but we shouldn't be put into a desperation considering how weak this year's goalkeepers are. Select players and best available at those picks and when we get a surplus we can trade them for legit goalender prospect(s). I don't know why more of you guys' do not want to do what Predators did with defenders. True, they haven't won a Cup, but they still should be favourites and could be the best contender once they realise that Rinne is done.

Also as @Gigantor The Goalie mention in the past, Spencer Knight is unbelievable. His decision-making with the puck is still very iffy, but all the tools and techniques you want for a goaler is absolutely there. Definitely a 1st rounder for me as we speak.

Lastly, Kupari has joined the "absolute no-go" list for me. The guy is not only insanely raw, but he hasn't shown the flashes you want from a raw player like K'Andre (talk about him more below) and Serron at least have. Just a very vanilla player that provides very little in terms of strengths; please pass on him.

Boqvist definitely fell for me. His offensive talent is high but I'm not sold on his defense at all, and as we all know I'm not a big fan of offense-only defensemen. Hughes is actually really solid defensively along with his dynamic puck skill, I could definitely see him fighting with Zadina for 3rd.
It's actually the opposite for me, I think Boqvist's offencive game got overrated compared to his defensive game which is better than what people report. He's had a solid U18, showed enough offencive dynamic ability to still be considered a top 11 player, if he fell to our pick that would be amazing value for us. Picture someone similar to Cam Fowler in terms of dropping and playing style.

K'Andre Miller though, damn this kid is good. He's still fairly raw (which is becoming a common theme for this draft), but I totally understand why HockeyProspects have him as a middle first rounder. You heard it first here, but he's easily better than Woo, Sandin, and McIsaac to the point that I might want him at 16th overall. He would be a reach, but someone who should make you look good a couple years down the road. He has as powerful as a stride as Brett Burns, is as tough as Erik Johnson, has the swag of Nikita Zadorov, and has enough intelligence of Pietrangelo. That first comparison I used is the player I think he resembles the most: Brett Burns and those defenders are rare.

Last edited:

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I did my first "mock draft" the other day and came up with this Top 10:

#1 - Buffalo: Rasmus Dahlin
#2 - Carolina: Andrei Svechnikov
#3 - Montreal: Jesperi Kotkaniemi
#4 - Ottawa: Filip Zadina
#5 - Arizona: Oliver Wahlstrom
#6 - Detroit: Adam Boqvist
#7 - Vancouver: Quinn Hughes
#8 - Chicago: Brady Tkachuk
#9 - Rangers: Noah Dobson
#10 - Oilers: Evan Bouchard

With the Avs taking Kravtsov at #16. Had Bokk going to the Flyers at 14, and Wilde to the Isles at #12
Not terrible but there is no way that Kotkaniemi is going over Zadina. Especially considering #3 pick is Montreal, they won't take international over a guy who played in the Q. Not to mention Zadina is simply just the better player at the moment.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Draftwired Mock

I like the two first picks actually. Not sure after that, just don't know enough. Serron is an interesting player.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I've been watching more and more games lately and I hope to God we don't pick a goaler with either our 1st or two 2nds (3rd might be reaching that level as well). We need goaler prospects, but we shouldn't be put into a desperation considering how weak this year's goalkeepers are. Select players and best available at those picks and when we get a surplus we can trade them for legit goalender prospect(s). I don't know why more of you guys' do not want to do what Predators did with defenders. True, they haven't won a Cup, but they still should be favourites and could be the best contender once they realise that Rinne is done.

Also as @Gigantor The Goalie mention in the past, Spencer Knight is unbelievable. His decision-making with the puck is still very iffy, but all the tools and techniques you want for a goaler is absolutely there. Definitely a 1st rounder for me as we speak.

Lastly, Kupari has joined the "absolute no-go" list for me. The guy is not only insanely raw, but he hasn't shown the flashes you want from a raw player like K'Andre (talk about him more below) and Serron at least have. Just a very vanilla player that provides very little in terms of strengths; please pass on him.

It's actually the opposite for me, I think Boqvist's offencive game got overrated compared to his defensive game which is better than what people report. He's had a solid U18, showed enough offencive dynamic ability to still be considered a top 11 player, if he fell to our pick that would be amazing value for us. Picture someone similar to Cam Fowler in terms of dropping and playing style.

K'Andre Miller though, damn this kid is good. He's still fairly raw (which is becoming a common theme for this draft), but I totally understand why HockeyProspects have him as a middle first rounder. You heard it first here, but he's easily better than Woo, Sandin, and McIsaac to the point that I might want him at 16th overall. He would be a reach, but someone who should make you look good a couple years down the road. He has as powerful as a stride as Brett Burns, is as tough as Erik Johnson, has the swag of Nikita Zadorov, and has enough intelligence of Pietrangelo. That first comparison I used is the player I think he resembles the most: Brett Burns and those defenders are rare.

K'Andre's one of those players that I've been interested in. Lots of raw skills, if he can put it together our D would be pretty set.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Miller has all the physical tools to be a beast. I have him in the first, but given how raw he is it will take him years to reach his potential and there's always a chance with players like that that something will get derailed on the way. If he does though, he's going to be a force of nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad