Prospect Info: The 2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread

What Year Do You Want The Senators Pick?

• 2018: Since they won't be as bad as in 2019

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • 2019: Since they should retool making them worse off

Votes: 51 34.7%
  • Don't care, either year works for me

Votes: 53 36.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Can I quote myself on Kotka?

Sure haha since I'm forgetting exactly what you said. I know you've been a fan of his for a while as well but do you think he goes higher then even the ~8-10 range like he seems to be projected right now?

To me Montreal screams like a team that will take him over another Winger at #3. I mean there's a lot of teams in the first 7 or 8 picks that I think have big needs for a young Center and would love to take him.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I think it'd be great for the Avs if a bunch of defensemen go in the top 15. Dahlin, Boqvist, Bouchard, Hughes, and Dobson are probably guarantees. It'd be nice if a team or two falls in love with Smith, Wilde, McIsaac, Merkley, etc as well. I want a forward with the 16th pick unless someone like Hughes or Dobson unexpectedly falls to the Avs.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
I think it'd be great for the Avs if a bunch of defensemen go in the top 15. Dahlin, Boqvist, Bouchard, Hughes, and Dobson are probably guarantees. It'd be nice if a team or two falls in love with Smith, Wilde, McIsaac, Merkley, etc as well. I want a forward with the 16th pick unless someone like Hughes or Dobson unexpectedly falls to the Avs.
My thoughts exactly. Which brings up the question if which higher ranked forwards have a chance of sliding.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Personally, I think the pool in general can handle it. 2 1sts next year, 2 2nds this year... plus the group that is already in. I'm just not worried about a risky player in that spot (especially when the payoff can be that high). Also a reason I think I'd look heavily at Bokk too. I also think Merkley's bust potential is lower than some think. Get him around a good leadership group and locker room where he fits, and I think he will come around quickly. If the Avs picked him, he's a rare player that I'd prefer to be rushed. Get him around professional coaching and leadership ASAP. (FTR I don't think the Avs will draft him)

At a glance, I see exactly what you're saying with Smith... the more and more that I have dug into his game though, I just don't see a plus skill much of anywhere in his game. Yeah he is smart, but he isn't top level smart. Yeah his skating is good, but it isn't Girard good. His attributes are all a plus level at the WHL level, but not to the extent that they continue at the international level. I've never come away from a game of his at higher levels and thought he stood out in any facet. I think that will only get worse as he moves up. To me, he is a smaller defensemen that doesn't have enough of a standout attribute to be an impact NHL player. I think his game is complete and solid enough to carve out a NHL role somewhere, but I highly doubt he ends up much (if any) better than Hickey. And that is who he reminds me the most of on a consistent basis. I'll be a rare person that vastly prefers Addison out of the WHL.
You do get to watch a lot more prospects than I do, so I'm not going to argue with you there on Smith. I guess we'll see, I still feel like they grab a forward at that spot, the best D are all likely to be gone except for Wilde, and even that's 50/50. The home run swing forwards though will all or mostly be there.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Really starting to warm up to the idea of taking Bokk at 16 as well. The idea of potentially taking him on the Rantanen route(Coming over to play with the Eagles next season) is appealing to me.
It would be a reasonable guess that he would be amenable to that too. He's already playing away from home in Sweden right now, unlike Kravtsov, Kaut, Ylonen, and Denisenko. Small difference to him to come play here. An Eagles top line of Greer-Shvyrev-Bokk would be a real fun thing to watch.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Really starting to warm up to the idea of taking Bokk at 16 as well. The idea of potentially taking him on the Rantanen route(Coming over to play with the Eagles next season) is appealing to me.

Agreed. I’d still prefer the top 5 forwards (Svech, Zadina, Kotka, Wahlstrom, Tkachuk) or one of the Russians (Kravtsov, Denisenko), but I’m really waffling between Bokk, Farabee & Hayden if they are all gone and none of the top 5 blueliners (Dahlin, Bouchard, Dobson, Hughes, Boqvist) fall to us.

This might just be WC-related-nationalism, but I’m starting to have a really tough time suppressing my excitement at the idea of the Avs having a talented german in the pipeline...even though I promised myself that I wouldn’t get my hopes up after Buffalo broke my heart in 2015 by passing on Drae.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Agreed. I’d still prefer the top 5 forwards (Svech, Zadina, Kotka, Wahlstrom, Tkachuk) or one of the Russians (Kravtsov, Denisenko), but I’m really waffling between Bokk, Farabee & Hayden if they are all gone and none of the top 5 blueliners (Dahlin, Bouchard, Dobson, Hughes, Boqvist) fall to us.

This might just be WC-related-nationalism, but I’m starting to have a really tough time suppressing my excitement at the idea of the Avs having a talented german in the pipeline...even though I promised myself that I wouldn’t get my hopes up after Buffalo broke my heart in 2015 by passing on Drae.

I was thinking about Bokk and you the other day wondering why you hadn't brought that up yet (at least that I seen), or at least more so lol.

Reactions: cgf

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Everyone should be hopping on the Bokk bandwagon, I really hope we snag him.

I really like Hayden too but that's not a surprise to anyone. Y'all know I love my 200ft Swiss army knife players.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I was thinking about Bokk and you the other day wondering why you hadn't brought that up yet (at least that I seen), or at least more so lol.

lol for a long time I just figured he’d be too much of a reach at our 1st and I didn’t think he’d last until our second, so it didn’t seem like he’d make sense for us unless we had sold Soda for Pittsburgh’s 1st & Gustavsson at the TDL.

...but a big part of it was just how devasted I was when Buffalo ignored me and went with the consensus to select Reinhart instead of Drae. Which became twice as painful when the god damn oilers picked Leon instead, forcing me to watch more Edmonton games than I ever wanted to.

Because of 2015, I was trying really hard not to have any expectations with Bokk. So that i wouldn’t be too disappointed regardless of what team I end up having to watch to follow him.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
lol for a long time I just figured he’d be too much of a reach at our 1st and I didn’t think he’d last until our second, so it didn’t seem like he’d make sense for us unless we had sold Soda for Pittsburgh’s 1st & Gustavsson at the TDL.

...but a big part of it was just how devasted I was when Buffalo ignored me and went with the consensus to select Reinhart instead of Drae. Which became twice as painful when the god damn oilers picked Leon instead, forcing me to watch more Edmonton games than I ever wanted to.

Because of 2015, I was trying really hard not to have any expectations with Bokk. So that i wouldn’t be too disappointed regardless of what team I end up having to watch to follow him.

Well Colorado likes their guys, so you never know. They were trying to move up to get Mikko. So in this range it could be absolutely wide open. For all we know they love Merkley and have him listed in their top 10, and Bokk in the 10-15 range lol.

We are too far removed from Joey Hishon for me to actually expect him to be a cautionary tale. Hell they had Timmins as a 1st rounder last year.

Let's just say, between the board, our draft position, and our history. I'm not even going to attempt to predict who they'll pick.

I think I've told you this before, but I've got a soft spot for Germans as well since I'm only one generation removed on my moms side.

Reactions: Lemonlimey and cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
True that. I love Mikko and swiftly changed my mind after watching him play for the Rampage, but if they’d had done what I was expecting them to we’d have Lawson Crouse now instead :laugh:

So I’m just gunna let myself be surprised...hopefully in a pleasant way lol

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
True that. I love Mikko and swiftly changed my mind after watching him play for the Rampage, but if they’d had done what I was expecting them to we’d have Lawson Crouse now instead :laugh:

I hope I'll reach this point with the Avs and goalies...but I'm going to be waiting awhile.

Reactions: CobraAcesS and cgf

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Well if they'd have done what I expected in Jost's draft, we'd have one of Brown, Chychrun, or McAvoy lol. Then if they had done what I wanted in 2013 we'd have Barkov or Jones.

Oh and we'd have Frk instead of that other guy drafted right before him way back.

I think I wanted Werenski, Mikko, or Barzal for that draft. So it's one of the few I wasn't pissed off directly after our first round.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Well if they'd have done what I expected in Jost's draft, we'd have one of Brown, Chychrun, or McAvoy lol. Then if they had done what I wanted in 2013 we'd have Barkov or Jones.

Oh and we'd have Frk instead of that other guy drafted right before him way back.

I think I wanted Werenski, Mikko, or Barzal for that draft. So it's one of the few I wasn't pissed off directly after our first round.

I wanted Crouse or Mikko so badly, but I was convinced Crouse would be a rich man's Ladd with an elite two-way game, to go with great smarts & a 30-goal-a-year caliber shot. I was over the moon with having Landy-Crouse-Greer down the left side of our top 9 giving each line a big time PWF with actual talent.

In the Jost draft I was so enamored with Keller that I didn't even have an alternative that I wouldn't have been disappointed with lol.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I cant remember who was a "favorite" of mine in Josts draft. I know last year I warmed up to Makar before the draft and when we took him I was pretty happy. Although I said about a month before that draft that Pettersson was going to be the best player to come out of that class but I didn't think we would take him.

Rantanen draft I remember wanting him or Barzal. I liked Crouse as well but if I remember correctly I had Rantanen and Barzal over him in preference. Was also extremely high on Provorov that year but knew we wouldn't have a shot at him.

I really cant remember the Jost draft though for some reason other then I know I did like Jost but dont think he was at the top of my list by any means.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I really wanted Brown or in 16. I've come around to Jost, but I still like Brown a lot too. In 15 I didn't follow the draft as much, but I remember looking at Rantanen and thinking he was so good there was no way he would be there at 10.

Avalanche

Mar 18, 2011
Cornwall
If I remember the Jost draft correctly, I think the board was pretty split between Sergachev and Brown with a few wanting Jost/Keller/Chychrun/McLeod/Fabbro

There was also that Barrie to Edmonton for the #4 pick rumor which got a lot of people's hopes up for PLD

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
If I remember the Jost draft correctly, I think the board was pretty split between Sergachev and Brown with a few wanting Jost/Keller/Chychrun/McLeod/Fabbro

There was also that Barrie to Edmonton for the #4 pick rumor which got a lot of people's hopes up for PLD

That would have sucked if we took Pool party there after making that trade... Maybe it didn't happen because PLD got taken. Yeah, that's what I'll tell myself.

If I remember right I didn't think Sergachev would be there either, but I remember people talking about him.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Sure haha since I'm forgetting exactly what you said. I know you've been a fan of his for a while as well but do you think he goes higher then even the ~8-10 range like he seems to be projected right now?

To me Montreal screams like a team that will take him over another Winger at #3. I mean there's a lot of teams in the first 7 or 8 picks that I think have big needs for a young Center and would love to take him.

I’ve had Kotka high all year... always maintained that with health he’d shoot up the board. If I was Montreal, I wouldn’t hesitate taking him at 3. It might be a few spots high, but not worth the risk to not get your guy and move down.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Yeah, maybe make a pick or two here and there looking for your "depth" players, and be very careful with your firsts, but especially in the late rounds I would rather see them go for skill every time. Depth is way less of a problem for this franchise, let's try to get a Bratt, Klingberg, or Palat out of these next two years.
Here's one to watch out for, for you...

Semyon Der-Arguchintsev at eliteprospects.com

23. Semyon Der-Arguchintsev - Forward - Peterborough Petes
SDA is definitely one of the more intriguing players available from the OHL this year. Not the biggest (5'10, 170lbs), but in terms of playmaking ability and skill with the puck, Der-Arguchintsev is right near the top. This guy creates so much time and space for himself by keeping the puck on a string, spinning off checks along the wall and prolonging zone time. Strength is definitely an issue, but he's also the youngest player eligible this year (Sept. 15 birthday) and it's scary to think about how good he could be offensively once his conditioning improves. Those 39 assists on a poor Peterborough team really stand out as a positive. Another thing holding him back is a lack of game breaking speed. He's not slow, but without question, SDA relies on his hands and skill to create elusiveness rather than his feet. It explains why he's not more of a factor creating off the rush. If that speed improves, it would really add that dynamic ability to his game. And would help him become a little more effective cutting through the middle of the ice. Der-Arguchintsev also needs to get better in the defensive end, especially if he wants to stay down the middle. The effort isn't always there on the backcheck and he lacks the strength to consistently win battles along the wall. But I reiterate, this is one of the youngest players available and he has a very high ceiling if everything gets put together. It's the type of pick you make in the 3rd or 4th round and perhaps look like a genius.

~ OHL Prospects

I like the sound of that Hayton guy but I think the AVS should be able to get a solid NHL player in their range.

My favorites that may be available are Hayton, Kupari, Kotkaniemi, and McLeod.

I know McLeod isn't the most skilled of the bunch but that NHL size.
Hayton is pretty much a more talented version of Connor Bleackley. That might scare you, but it's more of a comparison than actual red flags since Hayton is by far a superior talented player. I do think he needs to lose some weight (Hayton), but are similar in playing style.

What’s Merkleys issue? Ego or?
Merkley reminds me a lot of Tony DeAngelo, however Merkley is a legitimate top 5 prospect in regards to pure talent whereas DeAngelo was always considered just a 1st rounder. That's why Merkley is such a polarizing figure compared to Anthony and why I am still a pretty big fan of him even with the concerns.

He has Jesse Ylonen, who I've never heard of, in his top 15. He also loves the Russians in this draft.
Ehhhh...I am quite outspoken on Pronman, but I had Ylonen at #11th in my spring rankings and know that Bender also has him very high. He's a Sebastian Aho clone for me, probably not as good of course, but are still quite close.

Some think Smith's size will hold him back. To me, his IQ and skating combo is too much like Girard's for me to dare underestimate him. Not sure I like drafting him when we already have a Girard, but that's a personal philosophy and not a judgement of quality.

And yeah, that height/weight has to be a mistake. Somebody said he'd grown a couple inches, which would make him Makar sized and probably make teams believe in him more. But no, 6'2 is very wrong.
Smith's U18 performance has been beyond dreadful, easily the worst player besides Akil Thomas for me (I still have faith in Akil though). Ty is still a very smart player, but has brain-farts and a complete lack of dynamic talent. What you're going to get from Smith is a very safe player similar to Mark Pysysk with a very unsexy ceiling. In all honesty, I can label Smith as a defender who has good gap control and is a great passer...............eh.............umm..................*silence*...................that's all. Sure those two qualities are definitely 1st round level talent, but I can't say anything else which makes me hype him up.

I totally get when you say that you don't want to underestimate him as what we've all seen from Girard. But let me stress a couple of thing, he doesn't have the cocky/confidence attitude that Samuel has to make plays out of nothing. In addition, he absolutely does NOT see the field of vision to make a play that Girard has. Smith is all about "off the boards and off the glass" which Don Cherry is going to fall in love with. Don't get me wrong, the safe play is always the smart play, but I argue that you need a fine-line between both for a top 15 prospect and I've only seen one.

On the other hand though I am loving Kevin Bahl, getting him at Nashville's pick would be freckin' awesome! Picture a better and more mobile version of Logan Stanley.

Probably an unpopular opinion... but Merkley >>>>>>>>> Smith. Smith is just so meh when put against the best. He just doesn't stand out in a good way and I don't see a skill that can make him stand out at the NHL level. Now I think he will be a NHL player, but more of a 4-6 puck mover sorts... a quality depth player. I'd just much rather take the chance on Merkley getting his head straight. If that happens, you could have a game changing sort of puck mover. A guy who makes a significant difference on the ice.
Absolutely this times a thousand. Smith is on the verge of joining Lundestrom and McIsaac as absolute no-go players for me. As I mentioned above, Merkley is a top 5 legitimate prospect if we're arguing on talent alone and should always be considered the selection.

I'm no expert but everything I've seen/read about Ty Smith so far is that he's a high IQ minute muncher with top pairing potential. Best dman coming from the WHL, mostly ranked between #8 and #12 OA.

Also he's a LHD unlike Wilde and Merkley.
This is a really down year for the WHL, so just because Smith is the best to come out of the dub doesn't really say a lot: Bowen Byram is easily the better defender already and he's not even eligible until 2019, while Wilde is so much better than Smith as well. Wilde is a Trouba clone with Erik Johnson's swag and puck-moving ability like a tank. He's so hard to control when he's on his game, but he does have occasional brainfarts, consistency issues, and holding on the puck for too long, but those will come with experience. Trust me, when we do our redrafts in 2022, Wilde will be in the top 10.

Reactions: McMetal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad