Prospect Info: The 2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread

What Year Do You Want The Senators Pick?

• 2018: Since they won't be as bad as in 2019

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • 2019: Since they should retool making them worse off

Votes: 51 34.7%
  • Don't care, either year works for me

Votes: 53 36.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think be best comparison to Wilde will be EJ... a physically talented defender who has every attribute to be a great #1, but probably never fully puts it together because they lack the high end IQ and consistency. I'd absolutely pick Wilde at 16 without hesitation... I don't think he makes it that far though.

For the Avs, I think 16 will be a very solid spot to pick. There should be some good D prospects sitting there, centers with very projectable 2nd line upsides, or wings with dynamic abilities. They should be able to have choices in each of those groups, and make a very solid selection. That isn't to say they can't hit a landmine with the pick, but the landmines out there should be very avoidable.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I think be best comparison to Wilde will be EJ... a physically talented defender who has every attribute to be a great #1, but probably never fully puts it together because they lack the high end IQ and consistency. I'd absolutely pick Wilde at 16 without hesitation... I don't think he makes it that far though.

For the Avs, I think 16 will be a very solid spot to pick. There should be some good D prospects sitting there, centers with very projectable 2nd line upsides, or wings with dynamic abilities. They should be able to have choices in each of those groups, and make a very solid selection. That isn't to say they can't hit a landmine with the pick, but the landmines out there should be very avoidable.
Agreed, which still isn't a bad comparison for Wilde by any means nor at the 16th overall pick. I'm just scared that Avs consider Lundestrom and Smith as legit prospects considering I've seen both ranked around our pick in a lot of mock drafts.

Reactions: MikeC

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Agreed, which still isn't a bad comparison for Wilde by any means nor at the 16th overall pick. I'm just scared that Avs consider Lundestrom and Smith as legit prospects considering I've seen both ranked around our pick in a lot of mock drafts.

We disagree on Lundestrom (though I'd even say 16 is probably too high for him), but to me the landmines are easy to pick out and avoid. If the Avs can't make a good selection here, it says something about the scouting staff.

I really think the people who rank Smith highly are the ones that base a lot more off stat lines. His numbers seem to say he has top end ability, but when you watch, you're just left so disappointed. Fine player in the 30+ range... not a top 15 guy to me.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
We disagree on Lundestrom (though I'd even say 16 is probably too high for him), but to me the landmines are easy to pick out and avoid. If the Avs can't make a good selection here, it says something about the scouting staff.

Who would that be?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Who would that be?

Smith, Samuelsson, McLeod, Groulx (though I really, really like him... would be a reach at 16), Kupari... probably a couple I'm missing. Not that any of these players are bad or prospects I wouldn't draft... they are just players that should be avoided at 16 with the depth of this draft. If this draft was weaker, I'd probably consider more of these players around 16, but it is too strong and there is too much upside in some players to pick a player like Groulx at 16. Yeah Groulx is very likely to be a middle six, 2 way center... but his ultimate scoring upside is probably 50-55 points and that is if things go well. I don't see aiming for that when a Wilde sort of D is out there and Hallander is likely in the mid 2nd.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Smith, Samuelsson, McLeod, Groulx (though I really, really like him... would be a reach at 16), Kupari... probably a couple I'm missing. Not that any of these players are bad or prospects I wouldn't draft... they are just players that should be avoided at 16 with the depth of this draft. If this draft was weaker, I'd probably consider more of these players around 16, but it is too strong and there is too much upside in some players to pick a player like Groulx at 16. Yeah Groulx is very likely to be a middle six, 2 way center... but his ultimate scoring upside is probably 50-55 points and that is if things go well. I don't see aiming for that when a Wilde sort of D is out there and Hallander is likely in the mid 2nd.

There's really that much high end depth? I thought there was a decent sized drop off after the first 12 or so.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
So are there questions about Wilde's offense or why is he consistently so low? I drafted him in both the mock here and the Oilers' mock draft.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Got bored, did a draftwired sim (no trades, "high predictability":

116Denisenko, GrigoriLWLoko Yaroslavl
247Merkley, RyanRDGuelph
258Skarek, JakubGDukla Jihlava
378Clark, KodyRWOttawa
4109Bernard, XavierLDDrummondville
5140Sutter, RileyC/RWEverett
6171Sokolov, YegorLWCape Breton
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
There's really that much high end depth? I thought there was a decent sized drop off after the first 12 or so.

I don't agree with that assessment... I get around 20 players (probably 21-22 if I really thought about it) I really like as top tier (obvious tiers form within that, but high end where most drafts drop at 9-12... that is where I see this one). I expect some to fall and slide even into the 30s. Once you get out of the top 6/7 I don't see a huge difference to ~20. I think this first round is very deep compared to most years. Lacks #1 center types (Kotka is the lone guy who I'd feel comfortable projecting there)... but that is really it.

So are there questions about Wilde's offense or why is he consistently so low? I drafted him in both the mock here and the Oilers' mock draft.

All about his brains and consistency. There are moments he looks like a top 5 sort of D... them moments where you wouldn't touch him in the first. He is as physically talented and has as good of tools as anybody in the draft.

Reactions: Avs_19

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

Merkley and Thomas would also be a reach in the 1st round.

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
here my choice
16th Kravtsov
Farabee
Hayton
or Defenceman Samuelsson, McIsaac or Sandin

47th Wise
Berggren
Marchenko
or defencemen Ginning,Woo or Beaudin

58th Nordgren
Shafigulin
Drury
or goalie Skarek, Dostal or Rodrigue

Reactions: Postanin CB Ting

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Hey Hench—

Now that the NHL season is over and the draft is coming down the pike, would you still take McIsaac at 16? You’ve been one of his biggest fans, so just curious on how you think he stacks against others that you’ve been viewing this year.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
We better stay far, far away from Grigoren--I mean, Denisenko. He keeps flying under the radar here despite his red flags.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
We better stay far, far away from Grigoren--I mean, Denisenko. He keeps flying under the radar here despite his red flags.

Denisenko would be a fantastic pick for the Avs.

As would Kravtsov.

I just did a mock with Draftwired and boy if the draft played out like it did I would be so happy.

Our first 3 picks we came out with Dobson at #16 who fell from being ranked #8. Bokk at #47 who fell from his 26 ranking. And finally Jack McBain at #58 who fell from his 27 ranking.

Would be insane to get Dobson and Bokk but I cant see those two in particular being fallers in the draft, I expect them both to be big risers.

Reactions: Postanin CB Ting

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Merkley and Thomas would also be a reach in the 1st round.

Merkley really wouldn't be at all... I think it is pretty likely he goes in the first, but the character red flags are his issue. Thomas isn't even close to a reach there. I'm not as high on him as some, but he is right in that range.

Hey Hench—

Now that the NHL season is over and the draft is coming down the pike, would you still take McIsaac at 16? You’ve been one of his biggest fans, so just curious on how you think he stacks against others that you’ve been viewing this year.

Short story, yeah I would. Probably not my top pick there (even amongst D), but I wouldn't blink at selecting him. His game didn't grow as much as you'd want it to this season and I think that stemmed from him trying way too hard at the beginning of the season. He wasn't amazing at the U18s (especially against the US), but he was clearly the best Canadian defensemen there. While Smith and Tychonik looked completely overmatched, he held his own. Now he has significant consistency issues and isn't the most dynamic defensemen out there... but I think there is plenty of offense in there (he will never come close to being a 50 point guy, so that shouldn't be an expectation) and his physical skill set is very good.

With regards to defensemen (and this isn't completely thought out) I probably go: Dahlin - Hughes - E Bouchard - Wilde - Boqvist - Dobson - Merkley - McIssac - Bernard Docker - Addison - Alexeyev... Those are probably the defensemen that I'd consider with a 1st round pick. Not all really should go in the first, but I wouldn't blink at those. There are others I really like such as Demin, Harris, Simon Johansson, Sandin, and Perunovich... but they are later sort of picks.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Denisenko and Grigo are very different players. The big knock against Grigo was a lack of intensity in his game. Denisenko has a real motor on the ice, he's constantly moving his feet and either attacking the puck carrier or attacking the net.

Reactions: cgf

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Denisenko and Grigo are very different players. The big knock against Grigo was a lack of intensity in his game. Denisenko has a real motor on the ice, he's constantly moving his feet and either attacking the puck carrier or attacking the net.

They are both highly talented and have issues with consistency. Cheat on D. Essentially ineffctive without the puck. The only real difference is size.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Short story, yeah I would. Probably not my top pick there (even amongst D), but I wouldn't blink at selecting him. His game didn't grow as much as you'd want it to this season and I think that stemmed from him trying way too hard at the beginning of the season. He wasn't amazing at the U18s (especially against the US), but he was clearly the best Canadian defensemen there. While Smith and Tychonik looked completely overmatched, he held his own. Now he has significant consistency issues and isn't the most dynamic defensemen out there... but I think there is plenty of offense in there (he will never come close to being a 50 point guy, so that shouldn't be an expectation) and his physical skill set is very good.

I was recently reading the 2018 draft thread from last summer and it's funny that just a year ago, McIsaac was considered the 2nd best dman from this draft behind Dahlin by pretty much everyone.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I was recently reading the 2018 draft thread from last summer and it's funny that just a year ago, McIsaac was considered the 2nd best dman from this draft behind Dahlin by pretty much everyone.

Things change and players develop differently. I don't think McIsaac regressed so much as he didn't progress much at all... and others passed him. That said, that might have been here... but Boqvist is a player that I think most outside of this board had #2 behind Dahlin. He's another faller, but not as significant of one.

The real eye-opening player to me this year was Hughes. I figured he'd be top 10 or near it, but he was great in college this year and held his own against men at the worlds. I think he's closer to Dahlin/Svech than Zadina. If I was in need of a defensemen at #2, I'd even consider picking him there.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Things change and players develop differently. I don't think McIsaac regressed so much as he didn't progress much at all... and others passed him. That said, that might have been here... but Boqvist is a player that I think most outside of this board had #2 behind Dahlin. He's another faller, but not as significant of one.

The real eye-opening player to me this year was Hughes. I figured he'd be top 10 or near it, but he was great in college this year and held his own against men at the worlds. I think he's closer to Dahlin/Svech than Zadina. If I was in need of a defensemen at #2, I'd even consider picking him there.

Boqvist appears to still be in the 4-7 range on most lists. The recent multiple concussion issues might scare a few teams though.

Montreal need LHD and wouldn't be a surprise to see them pick Hughes at #3. I think he was the one they wanted before winning the lottery.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Who should I be looking at in the Oilers' HF Mock I'm doing? My pick at 120-something is coming up, and I have no idea who to draft in the later rounds. (Save for Vehviläinen.)

I've got Nico Gross on my radar, but I already took two D's and I need a forward (winger probably since I'm the Panthers).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad