Prospect Info: The 2018 NHL Entry Draft Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don't understand why we couldn't trade a 5th round pick or something for his negotiating rights.

If someone wanted to do something like that, they had plenty of time to work something out. They probably just don't think it's worth the effort.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
There are limited slots for players to talk with teams (and teams to talk with players). So, perhaps the Sharks are looking at a lot more dudes than normal and/or some of their interests had a number of other teams filling their schedule.

And/or the Sharks are doing due diligence for future years (trade/claim acquisitions).

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
There are limited slots for players to talk with teams (and teams to talk with players). So, perhaps the Sharks are looking at a lot more dudes than normal and/or some of their interests had a number of other teams filling their schedule.

And/or the Sharks are doing due diligence for future years (trade/claim acquisitions).
Makes me think that the Sharks are looking at a pretty wide range. Could be about moving down or up. Also with how the Sharks are known for taking "character" guys and putting a lot of stock into some of the combine tests, makes sense they're sticking around awhile.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Makes me think that the Sharks are looking at a pretty wide range. Could be about moving down or up. Also with how the Sharks are known for taking "character" guys and putting a lot of stock into some of the combine tests, makes sense they're sticking around awhile.

This is why I can’t shake the thought that we’re going to draft Jack Drury. This kid bleeds character. Quite a mover in the draft standings. I’m on board with wanting him here.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Could be looking for a two 2nds for #21 deal maybe?
Moving back, moving forward, trading a roster player for some picks, I hope they do something. I would also be willing to bet that Tim Burke would trade his left nut to trade up and draft Oliver Wahlstrom.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
This is why I can’t shake the thought that we’re going to draft Jack Drury. This kid bleeds character. Quite a mover in the draft standings. I’m on board with wanting him here.
ljfVqcy.jpg

Oh god we're getting Jack Drury.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
A particular perspicacious scout friend of mine gave me this list of underrated "potential steal" players:

Adam Samuelsson
Albin Eriksson
Alec Regula
Alexis Gravel
Anderson MacDonald
Connor Roberts
Curtis Douglas
Duncan McGovern
Hugo Leufvenius
Jáchym Kondelik
Jared McIssac
Jared Moe
Jett Woo
Krystof Hrabik
Mattias Samuelsson
Maxime Grondin
Patrick Giles
Ryan O'Reilly
Thomas Éthier
Tyler Tucker
Vladislav Syomin

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
A particular perspicacious scout friend of mine gave me this list of underrated "potential steal" players:

Adam Samuelsson
Albin Eriksson
Alec Regula
Alexis Gravel
Anderson MacDonald
Connor Roberts
Curtis Douglas
Duncan McGovern
Hugo Leufvenius
Jáchym Kondelik
Jared McIssac
Jared Moe
Jett Woo
Krystof Hrabik
Mattias Samuelsson
Maxime Grondin
Patrick Giles
Ryan O'Reilly
Thomas Éthier
Tyler Tucker
Vladislav Syomin

I can only comment on the ones I’ve seen, but I really don’t care for either Samuelssons or for McIsaac. I like Giles as a late rounder, though. Think he could have a Tommy Wingels type of career. I like Woo a lot.

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
For those of you that have tuned into the NHL Combine, what have they been saying about high schooler Jay O'Brien? He's shot up to low 30's overall, and he could be someone we look at if we keep #21 overall.

2018 NHL Draft prospect profile: Jay O'Brien — A star high school centre
Looking at that VO2 list O’brien Is the name that stood out to me. He’s been a steady riser and apparently had a great US prospects game. Also, isn’t Thayer Academy where Coyle was drafted out of?

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
An interesting thought I just had is that it’s been a long, long time since the Sharks drafted a Canadian in the first round. I think Couture was the last. But the Sharks sure do like Euros drafted out of the CHL.

God, the combine terrifies me. Josh Norris was on absolutely no one’s radar as a potential first round pick until he dominated the combine.

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
You are correct. I believe Coyle had a 2 year stint at Thayer.
Interesting, if the sharks have a big scouting presence there he could definitely be on their radar. Would definitely fit the bill for first round reach. Side note, have the Sharks ever drafted a Swede in the first round? Seems like every team but the Sharks drafts a ton of Swedes…

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I can only comment on the ones I’ve seen, but I really don’t care for either Samuelssons or for McIsaac. I like Giles as a late rounder, though. Think he could have a Tommy Wingels type of career. I like Woo a lot.
I just automatically put first in between late rounder and thought you wanted Giles as a late first rounder. I have never disagreed with anyone more :laugh: now I understand what you’re saying though.

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
Liam Foudy is another guy that killed it at the top prospects game fitness tests and the combine. Comes from a very athletic family. Father played pro football and his mother was a sprinter. Sharks love their “ pure athletes”. Buddy can flat out skate too so fits in to where the NHL is trending.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I just automatically put first in between late rounder and thought you wanted Giles as a late first rounder. I have never disagreed with anyone more :laugh: now I understand what you’re saying though.

Have a little faith in me. :laugh:

Mattias Samuelsson is my Official prediction for the Sharks in the first round.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Have a little faith in me. :laugh:

Mattias Samuelsson is my Official prediction for the Sharks in the first round.
After seeing the V02 test I think it’s McIsaac or Lundestrom. I know you don’t like Samuelsson but I love Samuelsson and would be okay with taking him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad