Prospect Info: The 2018 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Another one of Bouchard's best aspects is his NHL readiness. I could see him join Dahlin as the only defensemen to go straight to the NHL. He has nothing left to prove in the OHL, and IMO could make an immediate positive impact to our powerplay and offense.
NHL ready? This guy has a lot of development in his own end to go before he's in the NHL.

I'd be shocked if he played next year.

Kalost

Jan 21, 2015
Would you trade up a spot (exchange picks with the Rangers) to 9th overall? We are pretty much guaranteed a defenseman there.

I'm starting to feel like one will drop to us at 10, i see the Hawks going with Kotkaniemi/Smith. They drafted RHD Jokiharju last year so why not a nice lefty to with him or go for a C like Kotkaniemi.

The Rangers went a bit off the board last year and could again this year so. Taking Lias Anderson over higher consensus ranked guys like Mittelstadt,Vilardi,Tippet.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I'm starting to feel like one will drop to us at 10, i see the Hawks going with Kotkaniemi/Smith. They drafted RHD Jokiharju last year so why not a nice lefty to with him or go for a C like Kotkaniemi.

The Rangers went a bit off the board last year and could again this year so. Taking Lias Anderson over higher consensus ranked guys like Mittelstadt,Vilardi,Tippet.
Starting? I'd put money on it and have felt that for weeks. Pretty much always one or two teams go outside the box and grab someone not ranked that high.

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
I'm just not convinced one of the dmen falls to us. It just feels like theres just one two many teams for it to happen. I honestly wonder if Wahlstrom drops to us. Tkachuck too but thats probably just reading HF and at 10 he would probably be a good pick for us.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Kotkaniemi and Kravtsov are both legit threats to break into the top 9.

They are both risers who saw their stock increase in the last couple months and I'm betting that sticks in scouts minds when they are trying to find separation between closely ranked prospects.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

They are both risers who saw their stock increase in the last couple months and I'm betting that sticks in scouts minds when they are trying to find separation between closely ranked prospects.

Kravtsov won't get taken in the top10. He's more likely to fall than to rise on draft day IMO. I have some concerns about his hockey sense. HP and FC only has him ranked in the mid-late 20's too. I think his range is somewhere between 16-31 honestly. Talented kid with a nice skillset, but quite risky. I would assume most teams are a bit averse to taking that kind of risk. Guys like Nichushkin and Guryanov haven't worked out too well in recent times. Kravtsov could be next. These russian prospects are so tough to judge.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Kravtsov won't get taken in the top10. He's more likely to fall than to rise on draft day IMO. I have some concerns about his hockey sense. HP and FC only has him ranked in the mid-late 20's too. I think his range is somewhere between 16-31 honestly. Talented kid with a nice skillset, but quite risky. I would assume most teams are a bit averse to taking that kind of risk. Guys like Nichushkin and Guryanov haven't worked out too well in recent times. Kravtsov could be next. These russian prospects are so tough to judge.

Even Niklas Nordgren is risky pick ( lacks, size, skating and physicality) so lets see which one goes first.
I don't know much of Kravtsov but somehow he was KHL's rookie of the year instead of Tolvanen
which was really odd.

And if it was my decision i would take Nordgren first but not in 1st round.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Sorry stupid question but does anybody know when NHL draft combine starts?
Next Friday is 1st June and still no information or any other reports nowhere regarding NHL draft combine.

Kalost

Jan 21, 2015

Kotkaniemi definitely, i think Kravtsov rising into the top 15 is as far as that will go and even then might just be top 20.

His play should move him past guys like Denisenko and Kupari, who were ranked higher all year. But i don't think he will get into the top 10.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Kotkaniemi hype is catching on these boards... some Habs fans are open to taking him #3.
wouldnt be a bad pick at 10 if we miss out on all the Ds

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Have to think Dobson winning memorial cup will boost him a bit. GMs love guys who are winners.

Still think there’s a good chance that a center is picked in the top 9, likely Kotkaniemi.

Hope the oilers keep the pick.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Kotkaniemi definitely, i think Kravtsov rising into the top 15 is as far as that will go and even then might just be top 20.

His play should move him past guys like Denisenko and Kupari, who were ranked higher all year. But i don't think he will get into the top 10.

I realize not everyone can slip into the top 10... there'd be about 20 players taken in the top 10 if that was the case. :)

I'm just saying there's a few players that could legitimately be on several teams top 10 lists that aren't in the "consensus" lists (which are generally useless anyway).

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Bulat Shafigullin is another darkhorse that could go a LOT higher than most think. I haven't even seen him mentioned but he could go in the 1st round as well.

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
A Sens poster (Bert) is saying the Sens will take Bouchard. This poster from the replies seems to have some connections within the Sens organization.

A quick glance at Coyotes board and they indicate the organizational weakness is RHD. The posters seem to think the org prefers Boqvist but his concussions might scare the team away from him. (Personally I think if Tkachuk is there the whole Keith Tkachuk played for the organization could mean he's the selection).

The Habs are said to be very high on Kotkaniemi. It's probably the Finnish C or Zadina.

Det wants RHD but their coach just saw Hughes up front and personal as he coached the USA WHC team. Blashill also had Larkin rooming with Hughes.

Vancouver is apparently very high on Dobson but a poster who claims to have some connections said the team will take Boqvist if he's there (....other posters called this other poster out but just stating what I read on their board).

No idea what Hawks and NYR prefer but Gorton apparently said he wants character/leadership so some posters thought that might mean Farabee as the pick.

So based on this a possible mock draft:
Buf - Dahlin
Car - Svech
Mtl - Zadina
Ott - Bouchard
Ari - Tkachuk
Det - Hughes
Van - Boqvist/Dobson
Chi - Wahlstrom
NYR - Farabee/Kotkaniemi
Edm - Dobson/Boqvist

Reactions: HailMcJesus