Prospect Info: The 2015 NHL Draft Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
4th largest media market in the USA. Are you saying only top three are large? That's very much a losing argument.

Now, the case can certainly be made that Philly is more of a Flyers-loving market than a hockey loving market but that's also been a dying notion in recent years.

Living in South Jersey I can tell you Philly is an Eagles town. And when I say large market I'm talking a heck of a lot more than local media. Oh and being significantly smaller than LA, Chicago, and NYC, saying they're not really a large market is not a losing argument...where are you drawing the line? They're about the top of the next tier...big deal.

People in other cities don't come out for Philly teams when they're visiting nor do they have any kind of national fan base in any sport (minus the Phillies but that blip in history is ending). So no, I don't really see why the NHL would give two shakes if McDavid goes to Philly. The top 3 and Toronto? Sure. A middling team that needs a boost, yep. The Flyers? Who cares.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
People actually think the lotto is not only rigged by the NHL but then E&Y is going to risk its reputation on helping the league pull off this stunt??

My next question to those people would be if they find that Reynold's Wrap is worth the extra money, or does the store brand suffice to keep the government brainwave controllers at bay?

conspiracy-theories-lol-300x289.jpg

Sascha Goc

Mar 9, 2014
People actually think the lotto is not only rigged by the NHL but then E&Y is going to risk its reputation on helping the league pull off this stunt??

My next question to those people would be if they find that Reynold's Wrap is worth the extra money, or does the store brand suffice to keep the government brainwave controllers at bay?

My neighbor works for E&Y , they have boxes at MSG so clearly they're gonna push McDavid to the west :sarcasm:

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
I think we're getting McDavid or Crouse. For some reason I just don't see conte and the other scouts biting on Rantanen. As much as I like him as a player, just not sure the devils dig European forwards anymore.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I think we're getting McDavid or Crouse. For some reason I just don't see conte and the other scouts biting on Rantanen. As much as I like him as a player, just not sure the devils dig European forwards anymore.

I feel like the Devils love Meier. Just a hunch. I doubt he's the best pick though where we are.

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
I feel like the Devils love Meier. Just a hunch. I doubt he's the best pick though where we are.

All of these players will be impact forwards for us. I saw in the other thread people want chiasson, and to me Crouse or Meier would fit that bill within a year or so and have way higher potential.

Obviously the forwards we select won't be as "sexy" per se as Marner or Strome, but I don't think they will be any less important to the success of our forward group moving forward.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
All of these players will be impact forwards for us. I saw in the other thread people want chiasson, and to me Crouse or Meier would fit that bill within a year or so and have way higher potential.

Obviously the forwards we select won't be as "sexy" per se as Marner or Strome, but I don't think they will be any less important to the success of our forward group moving forward.

i think the devils are in a position where they need to draft a sexy player with their high pick, and acquire the "power forward" type via trade (chiasson).

GhostofKenKlee

Living in South Jersey I can tell you Philly is an Eagles town. And when I say large market I'm talking a heck of a lot more than local media. Oh and being significantly smaller than LA, Chicago, and NYC, saying they're not really a large market is not a losing argument...where are you drawing the line? They're about the top of the next tier...big deal.

People in other cities don't come out for Philly teams when they're visiting nor do they have any kind of national fan base in any sport (minus the Phillies but that blip in history is ending). So no, I don't really see why the NHL would give two shakes if McDavid goes to Philly. The top 3 and Toronto? Sure. A middling team that needs a boost, yep. The Flyers? Who cares.

You forget who owns the Flyers, in terms of hockey. Philly is a very important hockey market in the USA. Don't kid yourself into thinking it isn't.

Hockey is the red headed step child in alot of US markets, however Philly isn't one of them.

It is an Eagles town now, but was a baseball for a long time before that.

Philly is the fourth largest media market.

http://www.stationindex.com/tv/tv-markets

It's not really up for debate.

However, as a city it's the largest 'rust belt' city and fastly dropping down the top ten.

it was just passed by houston a decade or so ago and phoenix will pass as will San Antonio.

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
I would think that NY, LA, Chicago, and Boston would be the top 4 US markets, then perhaps Philly....

Where does NJ lump in there? under NY?

GhostofKenKlee

I would think that NY, LA, Chicago, and Boston would be the top 4 US markets, then perhaps Philly....

Where does NJ lump in there? under NY?

Boston is a high ranking media market but Philly is higher.

"media markets" are different than city markets and other rankings.

NJ is lumped in the CSA and MSA for most or all of NYC and Camden down is considered pure Philly MSA. I have seen and read that the 2000 census there was a heated battle between the two markets for the turf between Trenton and camden. IE Bordentown and top half of Burlington county and across.

The government does cite Newark/Union and other clusters in data collecting and does treat NJ as it's own stats. However, Media markets are totally different. Our state officials are also complacent in this all as well. While you do have overlaps in media market in the Mercer County area, Hunterdon as well as Ocean County, it's more based on what they carve out.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
Pittsburgh are struggling. Maybe Crosby's past his best. A couple more losses and they could get McDavid in as cover. :sarcasm:

If Pittsburgh misses the playoffs and wins the draft lottery, I'll do a naked lap around the Rock with a tinfoil hat on. THAT would get me believing that it's all rigged :laugh:

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
If Pittsburgh misses the playoffs and wins the draft lottery, I'll do a naked lap around the Rock with a tinfoil hat on. THAT would get me believing that it's all rigged :laugh:

But then Edmonton would pick 1st overall since they own Pittsburgh's first round pick this year, and it's not lottery protected.

I don't know what I would do if Edmonton had the 1st and 4th picks this year.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Edmonton being able to draft both McDavid and Hannifin = HF explodes

hobgoblin933

Jun 22, 2011
Cohoes, NY

If you think it's outside the realm of possibility that the league would make accommodations to place a generational talent like McDavid in a struggling market like Arizona to boost local interest and validate their decision to award Arizona a franchise, then you're woefully naive.

Buffalo, Edmonton, and Toronto will be fine no matter how many losing seasons their fans are forced to endure. Arizona is already on life support.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Zubrus?

I like Meier alot, and think he fits the Devils. I could see us taking him, or trading down and adding another asset and taking him.

If we acquire a 2nd 1st round pick around 20th, sure

I have a feeling this draft is going to make a lot of rankings look bad. The difference between the guys in that 2nd tier is miniscule, and there will be plenty of surprises.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I have a feeling this draft is going to make a lot of rankings look bad. The difference between the guys in that 2nd tier is miniscule, and there will be plenty of surprises.

And that would be different from other drafts how? :laugh:

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
And that would be different from other drafts how? :laugh:

Most drafts at least bear some resemblance to the projected 1st round from the more informed sources. Outside of the top two, however, I don't think this draft will bear much resemblance to anyone's projection.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
If you think it's outside the realm of possibility that the league would make accommodations to place a generational talent like McDavid in a struggling market like Arizona to boost local interest and validate their decision to award Arizona a franchise, then you're woefully naive.

Buffalo, Edmonton, and Toronto will be fine no matter how many losing seasons their fans are forced to endure. Arizona is already on life support.

So you're saying that if he goes to Arizona or a smaller market, the whole thing is rigged, but if he doesn't, then it's not?

Whatever the result is, the conspiracy theorists will spin it as proof of a conspiracy. That's what makes these people so laughable, they wait until they see the result before creating the story as to why it happened. "Oh see, they just wanted him to go to team X for reason Y. I knew it was rigged." I could make a list for every team as to why the NHL would rig the system to help them.

And people whined that we never got to see them draw the balls, yet once they announced that we would see them drawn this year, it immediately became "Sure but they never show us how they generate the number combination for each team!"... and even if they did, it would be "Yeah well we never saw video of them manufacturing the balls. They were probably weighted!" Conspiracy theorists will never be satisfied, because they want to believe there's a conspiracy!

It's very much possible that the NHL would like certain results. They probably wanted Rangers vs. Kings in 2012 for better ratings, yet we won the series. But do I think it's out of the realm of possibility that they are going to rig the system, including having their independent auditor (with their own reputation on the line) in on the rigging? Yes, yes I do.

And if you believe the league is that crooked, why do you even waste your time following it?

Last edited:

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Yeah, enough with the rigged BS. Colin 226 hit it on the head - conspiracy theorists will manipulate any possible result into a conspiracy theory narrative.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I don't mind Button's rankings, but it's tough for him since he's trying to cover everybody on his own. Button does a bimonthly interview with an Edmonton station. Last week, he did a piece about some QMJHL prospects who he just saw. Perhaps not surprisingly, a few of the QMJHL got a boost from where they were on his list last month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad