Prospect Info: The 2015 NHL Draft Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.

HobokenIrish

May 3, 2011
Charlotte, NC
I can only hope that after this weekend of religious holidays that everyone here spent their time praying to whoever their God is for a lottery win of Connor McDavid!!!

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
I believe i said IF we got something worth while!

You are NOT trading up into the top 5. No one will trade down and away from the top five players in this draft. I dont care what kind of talent they have already.

I am not only suggesting trading down. Its just something that if the Devils believe that they are comfortable with any of the players i suggested and your only moving down a couple of spots and gaining another first (In my hightly unlikely situation) makes sense.

Lou is either going to make the pick or trade it for an NHL player. I dont believe he will end up trading down this year. It was just an idea.

DevilSlovenia

Jul 1, 2014
Isn't the biggest need of this team a RW? Elite center is needed too but we don't have any decent RW's.

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
Isn't the biggest need of this team a RW? Elite center is needed too but we don't have any decent RW's.

Wingers are thought to be easier had than elite centers.....

I think it odd that folks think no one will trade down from the top 5 but then advocate we trade down from 6. Is there that clear a difference between pick #5 and pick #6? I'd argue there was a consensus top 6 with Crouse being I the top 6 in many of the so called "experts" rankings.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Wingers are thought to be easier had than elite centers.....

I think it odd that folks think no one will trade down from the top 5 but then advocate we trade down from 6. Is there that clear a difference between pick #5 and pick #6? I'd argue there was a consensus top 6 with Crouse being I the top 6 in many of the so called "experts" rankings.

I believe that the top 5 picks are the top tier while the next 6 or 7 players are the second tier of players in the draft. Meaning that you could easily argue for anyone of Crouse, Barzal, Rantanen, Provorov, Connor, or Werenski going 6th and it would be a good pick.

The Devils will have someone they view as the better prospect and maybe it’s not close with the rest. Who knows? But if you value them all nearly the same would it matter if you drafted 6th or 9th because you would walk out with something you value high plus an additional asset? I am not under any circumstances suggesting that the Devils trade down any further then 9th or 10th at the MOST and also ONLY if the value of the additional asset makes sense and is worth it.

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
Off the top of my head if Lou can get Taylor Hall for that pick...injuries aside, do you do it? He'd be worth it, its just the injuries that scare me with him, but when healthy, the guy is great...and a change of scenery could help.

I don't see who else is out there that Lou can legit acquire that a team would be WILLING to part with for the pick/trade...

If you can trade up and get one of the big 3 outside of McDavid/Eichel try to do it....maybe try to trade a Boucher/one of the young D in the minors and a 2nd if possible...get creative without giving up the young D. If you HAVE to...it be between Merril and Gelinas for me...not sure as they both have their strengths and could both be really good in a couple of years.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Let's not trade the 6th or 7th overall pick.

Draft one of the highly skilled forwards available with that pick.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Let's not trade the 6th or 7th overall pick.

Draft one of the highly skilled forwards available with that pick.

If it were 6th overall and we were picking up an additional 2nd +, and moving back no further than 10th overall I think I would do it.

...of course, that's assuming Marner and Strome are both off the board.

Devils820

Feb 19, 2014
NJ
I'm hoping that Marner falls to us. Seems pretty realistic that two top 5 teams pick a defenseman, or someone takes Crouse.

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011
Carolina is the serious wild card when it comes to us getting Marner. Assuming the order goes: BUF- McDavid, ARI- Eichel, EDM- Hanifin, TOR- Strome.

I've heard several things, such as CAR is high on Rantanen after his WJC performance and they love Crouse's size, so who knows. There is a very good chance we leave with Marner

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
Look at Carolina's prospect pool as well as their current lineup and you'll see they are rather small and are not very physical. Nearly all of their forwards with NHL potential are 6'1" or under. I would think it possible they pass on a guy 5'10 and 165 pounds in favor or a guy like Crouse as he's EXACTLY what they are missing.

Marner has skill no question but at 165, I'm sure there is some questions about his size and durability as there typically are with small players. Size alone is what will keep Marner from being a top 3 or 4 pick but for NJ, I think he's worth that risk - for Carolina, I just think there are better options for them.

DevilSlovenia

Jul 1, 2014
The Devils have no top 6 centers so that's a pretty big need too.

They need a number 1 center, I think Henrique and Zajac are both 2. line centers. But there are no RW that could play on any team in top 6. Or they just sign Radulov and Kovalchuk and RW problem is solved without giving assets away. :laugh:

NJD1982

Mar 31, 2007
I'd say Edmonton isn't a lock for Hanifin. Klefbom and Nurse are really good lefty prospects, I don't think it's out of the question for them to take Strome and maybe move Draisaitl to wing.

If Edmonton takes Strome then it could really shake things up for us.

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
I'd say Edmonton isn't a lock for Hanifin. Klefbom and Nurse are really good lefty prospects, I don't think it's out of the question for them to take Strome and maybe move Draisaitl to wing.

If Edmonton take Strome, I think Toronto goes with Hanifin. Although they are apparently looking for a Center, Barzal and Zacha are reaches at #4 and Marner may translate better to the wing with his smaller size. Toronto could also look at Crouse.

Still, I think good for NJ and hopes for Marner...

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Off the top of my head if Lou can get Taylor Hall for that pick...injuries aside, do you do it? He'd be worth it, its just the injuries that scare me with him, but when healthy, the guy is great...and a change of scenery could help.

I don't see who else is out there that Lou can legit acquire that a team would be WILLING to part with for the pick/trade...

If you can trade up and get one of the big 3 outside of McDavid/Eichel try to do it....maybe try to trade a Boucher/one of the young D in the minors and a 2nd if possible...get creative without giving up the young D. If you HAVE to...it be between Merril and Gelinas for me...not sure as they both have their strengths and could both be really good in a couple of years.

For Taylor Hall? Without question.

NJD1982

Mar 31, 2007
If Edmonton take Strome, I think Toronto goes with Hanifin. Although they are apparently looking for a Center, Barzal and Zacha are reaches at #4 and Marner may translate better to the wing with his smaller size. Toronto could also look at Crouse.

I don't think Barzal or Rantanen at 4 is that much of a reach. We tend to over exaggerate what a reach is, teams have their own big boards. I think a scenario which we see McDavid, Eichel, Strome, and Barzal in that order is not out of the question.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Good article. We want to get a Finnish Laphund for our family dog in a couple of years - Devils draft Rantanen and it will be easy to name him.

If I ever get a cat, I'm going to name it Antero Kiittymaki. My friend also had a cat named Esa T. Kitten.

NJD1982 said:

Edmonton isn't in a spot to get picky about which side certain Ds play. But if they did go with Strome, I think Toronto/Carolina could still take Marner/Hanifin (in some order) which would put us in the same spot.

Erie vs London in the next round of the OHL playoffs as well. Should be a nice showcase for Strome vs Marner.

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008

Drewr15

Jun 30, 2005
New Milford, CT
If I ever get a cat, I'm going to name it Antero Kiittymaki. My friend also had a cat named Esa T. Kitten.

Those are great.

At this point I am hoping for a Marner slide or Rantanen. Those are the two in reading up on all that everyone has posted here the past couple of weeks, that I have liked the most. Still hoping for the lottery win though.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I do know I would feel a lot better if Columbus passes Dallas and Colorado. That 6% is still to high odds wise for me to feel good. Bad enough Philly has decent odds, don't want Columbus around there well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad