Prospect Info: The 2015 NHL Draft Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Ah ok, so the 5th gets rescinded if the third round pick becomes a second when Detroit reaches the Finals. Got it. I somehow completely missed that there was ever a 5th round pick involved.

AusDev

Jan 13, 2015
Yeah that's it. As it is now, it is just a 2016 3rd. If they make the conference final they add a 2015 5th. If they make the cup final you take out the 5th and change the 3rd to a 2nd. So lets hope they go the whole way.

Last edited:

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Right. So we are rooting for Detroit. We either get an extra 5th this year or the third becomes a 2nd next year.

Definitely rooting for Detroit. That extra 2nd in 2016 is a much more attractive bargaining chip in trade.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Barzal didn't only drop because of injury. Many guys are out-producing him and outplaying him.

Barzal's been a tale of two seasons:

First half: He was playing with Justin Hickman who was trying to play through a bad shoulder injury. Hickman eventually decided to shut it down, but had shown enough to get a contract from the Bruins which he signed a couple weeks ago.

Shea Theodore didn't play for Seattle for the first few months of the season. He got hurt in Anaheim's training camp, so the Ducks kept him around to rehab. Theodore got a conditioning stint in the AHL as well before returning to Seattle. By then, Barzal had already gotten hurt.

If you give a guy a linemate with one good shoulder and take away the team's best defender, it shouldn't be a surprise if he doesn't put up monster numbers.

Second half: When Hickman called it a season, that opened up an overage spot for Seattle to bring back Roberts Lipsbergs (incidentally an invite for the Devils prospect camp last summer). Lipsbergs led Seattle in goals in 2013-14.

When Barzal came back in late January, that was the first time that Seattle had all of its big guns in place all season.

Barzal's splits for this season:

First half (Hickman/no Theodore): 20 games, 7 goals, 11 assists
Second half (Lipsbergs/Theodore); 20 games, 5 goals, 26 assists (111 point pace over a 72 game season)

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
Looking at the standings, we're pretty well ensconced into the 7th overall spot. That's a good place to be, especially if another D-man other than Hanafin goes before us.

I have three wishes regarding the lottery, in descending order:
1. We win it, or
2. Any team with orange in their uniform doesn't win it, or
3. A team behind us in the standings doesn't win it.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Looking at the standings, we're pretty well ensconced into the 7th overall spot. That's a good place to be, especially if another D-man other than Hanafin goes before us.

I have three wishes regarding the lottery, in descending order:
1. We win it, or
2. Any team with orange in their uniform doesn't win it, or
3. A team behind us in the standings doesn't win it.

I think number 3 is close to worst case (worst case is number 3 and the winner has a big P on its chest).

We have to win it or someone ahead of us does. Yes even the Laffs. I don't want to be pushed back a draft spot because or lotto balls.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I think number 3 is close to worst case (worst case is number 3 and the winner has a big P on its chest).

We have to win it or someone ahead of us does. Yes even the Laffs. I don't want to be pushed back a draft spot because or lotto balls.

The only team I want to win it aside from us is Arizona.

Everyone else I could care less. Although if someone like the Kings win it, that will suck.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The only team I want to win it aside from us is Arizona.

Everyone else I could care less. Although if someone like the Kings win it, that will suck.

I would root for that but I really don't want to be pushed back a spot. 7th to 8th who knows how that changes the board.

Just let it be someone 1-6 or let us win it.

kiwidevil

We may have two picks in the second round really close together if we win and few and Florida doesn't pick it up.

BomaLightDevils

Jan 15, 2011
Copenhagen
Anybody knows how kyle o connor compares to Dylan larkin? Size is a Big difference but he also a year younger.
Larkin is having a tremendous year at Michigan, better point Per game then zach P.
Kyle is also going to Michigan next year and hopefully Detroit dont make larkin go Pro so they could play together Again. Michigan is stacked next year and With berenson as coach this would do wonders i Think for hes development. Larkin is looking to be a number one center, points, hockey IQ, size 215, a two Way game. A good player to learn from and they have played With eachother at the u18 team. If larkin goes Pro, then kyle would have more responsibility and thats only a plus because the kid is Ready for it
I would make kyle o Conner the first Pick of this years draft for the devils. No red flags What so ever and With a steady future ahead of him.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I caught the Michigan/Michigan State games on TV this weekend and I have to say, Werenski looked pretty good. Really smooth skater who wasn't afraid to rush the puck up ice. I'm not saying we should draft another D, but if that was the pick, I wouldn't be quite as worried about it as I was before I saw him play.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Anybody knows how kyle o connor compares to Dylan larkin? Size is a Big difference but he also a year younger.
Larkin is having a tremendous year at Michigan, better point Per game then zach P.
Kyle is also going to Michigan next year and hopefully Detroit dont make larkin go Pro so they could play together Again. Michigan is stacked next year and With berenson as coach this would do wonders i Think for hes development. Larkin is looking to be a number one center, points, hockey IQ, size 215, a two Way game. A good player to learn from and they have played With eachother at the u18 team. If larkin goes Pro, then kyle would have more responsibility and thats only a plus because the kid is Ready for it
I would make kyle o Conner the first Pick of this years draft for the devils. No red flags What so ever and With a steady future ahead of him.

From what I've seen (and somebody tell me if I'm wrong), Larkin is a much more purely-offensive guy with decent play in his own end, while Kyle Connor is a much more-rounded two-way player. Larkin also seems to be a good conventional power forward, creating good scoring chances for himself from his size and positioning, while Connor has more creativity and overall hockey sense.

I might be blowing smoke but that's from what I've seen of the two. I would love to see them both play together next year. Michigan is going to be a scary team.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
I caught the Michigan/Michigan State games on TV this weekend and I have to say, Werenski looked pretty good. Really smooth skater who wasn't afraid to rush the puck up ice. I'm not saying we should draft another D, but if that was the pick, I wouldn't be quite as worried about it as I was before I saw him play.

There are a lot of good d-men in this first round, but if we were to take any one of them, I'd want Hanifin or Werenski. They just seem to be on another level. Werenski's also got a great first/outlet pass from his own zone to start the breakout.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Do we really need to use our first for a defensemen? If that's the case I rather try and deal with the Jets for their two 1st. rounders, one is a middle pick the other a late one.

Colin White and Brock Boeser or Paul Bittner would make me happy and we can use our two 2nds to grab another winger and defensemen.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
There are a lot of good d-men in this first round, but if we were to take any one of them, I'd want Hanifin or Werenski. They just seem to be on another level. Werenski's also got a great first/outlet pass from his own zone to start the breakout.

Hanifin is really good. I'm a Vermont grad so I watched the two Vermont/BC games that were on NESN over the weekend. In addition to being highly skilled he borders on being a little cocky. Sort of a lefty-shooting Severson.

Santini, by the way, still needs more time to develop.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Do we really need to use our first for a defensemen? If that's the case I rather try and deal with the Jets for their two 1st. rounders, one is a middle pick the other a late one.

Colin White and Brock Boeser or Paul Bittner would make me happy and we can use our two 2nds to grab another winger and defensemen.

We don't need to, but if we're higher on one that's available than any forwards available, I wouldn't be shocked or outraged if we took one. With a top 10 pick I think you should always go BPA, unless the difference between the BPA and a need is negligible, which it very likely could be this year.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Hypothetical situation:

IF we win the draft lottery AND Buffalo offers us Eichel, Reinhart, STL's 1st, and something else as the core of a deal to move up.

Would you take the deal, or keep McDavid?
If not, what kind of package would make you trade down from #1 to #2?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Hypothetical situation:

IF we win the draft lottery AND Buffalo offers us Eichel, Reinhart, STL's 1st, and something else as the core of a deal to move up.

Would you take the deal, or keep McDavid?
If not, what kind of package would make you trade down from #1 to #2?

Definitely worth thinking about but I have no idea why Buffalo would even come close to that. Eichel isn't that far behind McDavid skill wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad