Prospect Info: The 2015 NHL Draft Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Kessel is not Toronto's problem like they make out.

but in 2015, Kessel is 0-0-0 against playoff teams

DevilsFanInFla

Feb 28, 2014
I can't really fault Kessel for this season. That team has been straight up lit on fire like a dumpster full of gasoline soaked tires. He's usually a very dependable scorer and I really think he would thrive in the low pressure media market that is NJ. That being said, I don't think trading that pick is the right move. Kessel isn't getting any younger and it's not like he would be the missing piece that wins us the Cup next season. However, if Toronto is dead set on getting rid of him and Lou can pull a cheap deal (not likely) I wouldn't be against him being in NJ, just not at the cost of our 1st.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Being 7th, I would be open to trading down especially if the "big 5"(McDavid, Eichel, Strome, Marner, and Hanifin) are gone. I would rather trade down because the next couple of guys are really strong. I would rather take Barzal or Rantanen if we end up keeping the pick though.

The next 7 IMO are Barzal, Provorov, Werenski, Rantanen, Kylington, Crouse and Zacha and I wouldn't be too mad about any of them except Zacha at 7, that's a reach for him. I think people sell Crouse short because he isn't a sexy producer. He's an Andrew Ladd type guy who creates opportunities for others to produce. He can also score goals, which is not really bad thing. :laugh: At 7 it's a huge gamble and I would rather have Barzal or Rantanen but trading down and snagging him at 11-12 would really not be all that bad.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Is there really talk about trading for Kessel?

Can't we just admit we are in a rebuild?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think Barzal is good enough to keep the pick, not trade it and just straight draft him.

If he didn't get hurt this year I don't think we would of had a chance at drafting him at 7.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think Barzal is good enough to keep the pick, not trade it and just straight draft him.

If he didn't get hurt this year I don't think we would of had a chance at drafting him at 7.

He's a little over a ppg, and not much of a goal scorer. OK size. Why so high on him?

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
We better not trade the pick for Kessel

He has fallen off a cliff since New Years

Kessel is not Toronto's problem like they make out.

but in 2015, Kessel is 0-0-0 against playoff teams

I can't really fault Kessel for this season. That team has been straight up lit on fire like a dumpster full of gasoline soaked tires. He's usually a very dependable scorer and I really think he would thrive in the low pressure media market that is NJ. That being said, I don't think trading that pick is the right move. Kessel isn't getting any younger and it's not like he would be the missing piece that wins us the Cup next season. However, if Toronto is dead set on getting rid of him and Lou can pull a cheap deal (not likely) I wouldn't be against him being in NJ, just not at the cost of our 1st.

If you're best player is Kessel, you are doing something wrong.

Kessel is a great player with loads of skill, but he absolutely should not be the best player on your team. He's horrible defensively, not good along the boards, and scores primarily off the rush. His GF/GA is absolutely atrocious for how many goals his line scores.

I want absolutely nothing to do with Kessel on this team, I'd rather us use our assets on different players.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
He's a little over a ppg, and not much of a goal scorer. OK size. Why so high on him?

Barzal for the longest time was the #2 to McDavid. Injury made him drop. Without that injury he is a top 5 pick IMO easily.

I think he is the 3rd or 4th best Pure center in the draft. Vision is insane, good skater as well. I think his PPG doesnt tell the whole story because he plays on one of the lowest scoring teams in the WHL. He isnt much of a scorer, but he makes the players around him better. Only so much you can do if your team mates dont finish their chances

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Watching him play some and some written sources. Elite skater. Fast and smooth. Great playmaker with excellent hockey IQ.

He does need to bulk up but it's my hunch he will continue to improve and become elite despite his recent numbers.

You are right though he isn't a goalsxorer. He is a playmaker.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
You risk losing your target when you trade down.

Zacha will be this year's pasternk.
Too many teams passed on him.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I like Rantenen there. He was lights out in the wjc.

Right here with ya. A lot of people are saying his play really picked up the last few weeks of the season when he was given more responsibility, namely 1st unit powerplay time. Barzal would be good too, but I'm set on Rantanen at the moment.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Barzal for the longest time was the #2 to McDavid. Injury made him drop. Without that injury he is a top 5 pick IMO easily.

I think he is the 3rd or 4th best Pure center in the draft. Vision is insane, good skater as well. I think his PPG doesnt tell the whole story because he plays on one of the lowest scoring teams in the WHL. He isnt much of a scorer, but he makes the players around him better. Only so much you can do if your team mates dont finish their chances

You said it better then me.

I mean if you guys want a pure goal scorer then Ranatenen is the way to go.

But if we want a potential 1C. At our spot Barzal is the guy IMO. Speed. Great first stride. Great vision. Definitely the type of player people have been asking for.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Barzal = Scott Gomez. I'm not convinced his game will even translate well to the next level. Also, the fact that he was once considered a top 5 pick means nothing. Remember that Sean Couturier was considered the #1 pick for an extremely long time, and now he's nothing to write home about.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Barzal = Scott Gomez. I'm not convinced his game will even translate well to the next level. Also, the fact that he was once considered a top 5 pick means nothing. Remember that Sean Couturier was considered the #1 pick for an extremely long time, and now he's nothing to write home about.

But Couturier dropped because of play. Barzal dropped cause of an injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad