Prospect Info: The 2015 NHL Draft Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Right here with ya. A lot of people are saying his play really picked up the last few weeks of the season when he was given more responsibility, namely 1st unit powerplay time. Barzal would be good too, but I'm set on Rantanen at the moment.

I think he would be a fine pick. Looks like he has high level goal scorer potential pn the right side which is a huge need.

I just don't buy into the moving him back into center party. From what I've seen and read RW is where he belongs.

Again though I would still be happy with him.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I think he would be a fine pick. Looks like he has high level goal scorer potential pn the right side which is a huge need.

I just don't buy into the moving him back into center party. From what I've seen and read RW is where he belongs.

Again though I would still be happy with him.

And thinking of our current and future at right wing, we might be better off with Rantanen. Of course centers are more valuable but they need wingers too and I'm not fine with Chatham being our one and only RW prospect.

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
We can draft Barzal in the 1st to be our center and than draft Korostelev to be our shooting RW in the 2nd round. Then, to boot, we can pick Musil with our other 2nd rounder (FLA).

I'd be pretty good with that...would restock the forward pool pretty darn quick...

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
And thinking of our current and future at right wing, we might be better off with Rantanen. Of course centers are more valuable but they need wingers too and I'm not fine with Chatham being our one and only RW prospect.

Why I would be fine with the pick. I just don't see him going back to center and maintaining his current play.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Pick the best offensively skilled forward available, don't worry about a natural center or wing.
And for pete's sake don't give any stock to who's more NHL ready.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Rantanen since the WJC has had a minutes increase and thus a increase in point production. I think it's something like 8 goals, 10 assists in 26 games since the WJC. I really like him. Barzal is, like said above, a Scott Gomez type player. He is actually really never looking to shoot which is a little concerning.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Rantanen since the WJC has had a minutes increase and thus a increase in point production. I think it's something like 8 goals, 10 assists in 26 games since the WJC. I really like him. Barzal is, like said above, a Scott Gomez type player. He is actually really never looking to shoot which is a little concerning.

So? He is 17. That is very coach able but he is also a high level playmaker that can elevate the players around him.

We shouldn't just skip a guy because he is a play maker. We really don't have any high end ones right now.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
So? He is 17. That is very coach able but he is also a high level playmaker that can elevate the players around him.

We shouldn't just skip a guy because he is a play maker. We really don't have any high end ones right now.

If he can learn to shoot instead of force a pass then I have no doubt he'll be successful in the NHL and more valuable than Rantanen but I'm not sure if he can do it, he's got the way higher upside. He's also got great size. I would be fine taking either.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I'm not yet sold on barzal that high.

I need to do more research on him.
I have zacha a few notches above him.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
if Toronto calls up at the draft and offers kessel plus Nashville's first for the devils first, do you do it? let's assume NJD's pick is 7-8.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey

Wait so is being a Scott Gomez type player bad ??

Does anyone remember how good he was before he left in FA ??

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
While we need goals, we also need guys who can set up goals. So I would have no problem taking a guy who could be a Gomez type player.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
if Toronto calls up at the draft and offers kessel plus Nashville's first for the devils first, do you do it? let's assume NJD's pick is 7-8.

That's really tempting... Kessel's reputation is totally undeserved IMO. Only Giroux, Malkin, Ovechkin, and Crosby have more points than him since 2011. But at the same time, Kessel's likely approaching a decline in his offensive numbers at his age, and even if it isn't very sharp, it's gonna be another Kovalchuk situation where we're paying more for past performance than future. I'd do that with a team closer to contending, but not this one.

Still, we should consider ourselves lucky if whoever we pick at 7 or 8 gives us more points throughout their time with the Devils than Kessel would over the length of his contract.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I think I would but why would Toronto do that?

They want him out. Really badly. Shanahan would be a god to casual Leaf fans if he flipped Kessel for something like Werenski or Provorov.

And we'd still probably walk away with someone like Sprong or Konecny, which really isn't a huge downgrade from someone like Rantanen.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
kessel's contract sucks though and his numbers won't be what it was before. I don't think it's how the devils should approach the build even though he's a really good offensive player.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
kessel's contract sucks though and his numbers won't be what it was before. I don't think it's how the devils should approach the build even though he's a really good offensive player.

thats why i not for it.

and it would double suck if the leafs got a solid player with the devs pick

no

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
That's really tempting... Kessel's reputation is totally undeserved IMO. Only Giroux, Malkin, Ovechkin, and Crosby have more points than him since 2011. But at the same time, Kessel's likely approaching a decline in his offensive numbers at his age, and even if it isn't very sharp, it's gonna be another Kovalchuk situation where we're paying more for past performance than future. I'd do that with a team closer to contending, but not this one.

Still, we should consider ourselves lucky if whoever we pick at 7 or 8 gives us more points throughout their time with the Devils than Kessel would over the length of his contract.

I don't know the stats off hand, but I'm willing to bet there's been significantly more goals scored against with him on the ice then he's scored during that same time span.

For that reason, I want nothing to do with Kessel.

Give me Eriksson for a prospect + 2nd pick versus Kessel which will likely cost a good prospect + 1st round pick + more

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
I haven't been this excited since the Larsson draft. The potential player that we could get at 7th would be in contention for top 3 in any other draft. Makes me giddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad