The 2015 B Draft (Open Edition) has ended.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Everything from the NHL has Peltonen at LW, and perhaps even more importantly, internationally (where his scoring stats seem to be the selling point for you) he was playing with Selanne over the years, who was RW, correct? So when/where was he RW?
Selanne replaced Peltonen on Finland's top line in the 1998 Olympics (Lehtinen - Koivu - Peltonen/Selanne). In 2004, the second line was Ruutu-Jokinen-Peltonen. Peltonen has replaced both Selanne and Lehtinen at times over the years. A play-by-play announcer profiled him as a 'swing man' due to his ability to shift sides seemlessly.

In Florida Peltonen played both right wing and left wing (on all four lines!:laugh:). It was hard to find an ideal spot for him.

I'll PM a Finn I know to bring up some references.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Selanne replaced Peltonen on Finland's top line in the 1998 Olympics (Lehtinen - Koivu - Peltonen/Selanne). In 2004, the second line was Ruutu-Jokinen-Peltonen. Peltonen has replaced both Selanne and Lehtinen at times over the years. A play-by-play announcer profiled him as a 'swing man' due to his ability to shift sides seemlessly.

In Florida Peltonen played both right wing and left wing (on all four lines!:laugh:). It was hard to find an ideal spot for him.

Peltonen played LW on the "huey duey and louie"-line in 98.

Just watched the highlights: He was playing LW in the WC 95 and Olympics 98.

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK

Well, you sound pretty sure about this. So let's put him on the right and keep Lindsay on the left.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
I am sure every wing has played on the switch side, so for any wing it could either/or - but in my recollection Peltonen is always the left wing.
In Huey-Dewey-Louei he was left, Lehtinen was right. When Selänne entered the line Lehtinen switched to the left and Peltonen was demoted.

I thought maybe in the World Cup 2004, but then I remember Tuomo Ruutu's 2-2- goal in the final and Ruutu comes from the right, hence Peltonen would have been left as well (Peltonen-OJ-Ruutu).
In that sense, Peltonen is as left wing as they come, very few instances in Finnish national team or SM-Liiga of him being right.
In the NHL I wouldn't be surprised if he was tried at every spot imaginable - not good enough for top 6, too offensively talented for bottom-6 sort of player.

Sorry to disappoint you Van, but Peltonen is one of those guys who had a very strong profile of being left wing.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I am sure every wing has played on the switch side, so for any wing it could either/or - but in my recollection Peltonen is always the left wing.
In Huey-Dewey-Louei he was left, Lehtinen was right. When Selänne entered the line Lehtinen switched to the left and Peltonen was demoted.

I thought maybe in the World Cup 2004, but then I remember Tuomo Ruutu's 2-2- goal in the final and Ruutu comes from the right, hence Peltonen would have been left as well (Peltonen-OJ-Ruutu).
In that sense, Peltonen is as left wing as they come, very few instances in Finnish national team or SM-Liiga of him being right.
In the NHL I wouldn't be surprised if he was tried at every spot imaginable - not good enough for top 6, too offensively talented for bottom-6 sort of player.

Sorry to disappoint you Van, but Peltonen is one of those guys who had a very strong profile of being left wing.
Thanks. So be it. Peltonen, LW

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Trade to announce:

Praha trades left winger Bill Lindsay in exchange for Dawson City's 22nd rounder (the pick now, as 1990 wanted to pick coach Frank Mathers for Praha, but it wasn't Praha's turn, but it will be with this trade).

Another GM (anyone who has been participating in this) is needed to confirm the trade.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Trade to announce:

Praha trades left winger Bill Lindsay in exchange for Dawson City's 22nd rounder (the pick now, as 1990 wanted to pick coach Frank Mathers for Praha, but it wasn't Praha's turn, but it will be with this trade).

Another GM (anyone who has been participating in this) is needed to confirm the trade.

Im the one who made the pick so Ill confirm the trade. Since I originally intended for Lindsay to play for Dawson City.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Im the one who made the pick so Ill confirm the trade. Since I originally intended for Lindsay to play for Dawson City.
And 1990 thought he was picking the coach for Praha.:laugh: Doubly apt trade!

Round 22

LTC Praha (acquired in trade) - coach Frank Mathers
LTC Praha - TO BE PICKED NEXT

Round 23

LTC Praha
Dawson City Nuggets
Praha has the next two picks (their own 22nd and 23rd rounders) and still have a starting RWer to draft (plus at least one extra forward).

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Praha selects as an extra skater: checking line center Rudy Migay, the offensive star of two Memorial Cups in 1947 and 1948 and an AHL co-MVP all-star in 1959, but inbetween he found himself playing 418 NHL games in the heart of the Original Six era on a defensive-oriented line with Ron Murphy on his wing. Known most for his penalty killing at the NHL level, the Leafs alternate captain did score 20+ points per season for five consecutive seasons between 1953-54 and 1957-58, including back-to-back seasons 4th in Leafs scoring. He brings a good basic skillset, defensive responsibility, hustle, grit and opportunistic secondary scoring to a great checking line.

123939.jpg

Rudy Migay was a defensive player with the Toronto Maple Leafs and known as an elite penalty killer. He was nicknamed “Toy Terrier†because of puny size – 5′6″ , 150 lbs and that he played the game with a ubiquitous and tenacious style of play.
http://awinninghabit.com/2010/11/22/toronto-maple-leafs-hockeys-rudy/

Parkhurst said:
Rudy is often referred to as 'the honest workman' because he gives everything he has in every game. He plays center but is used mainly on penalty killing at which he excels.
http://www.bradyscards.com/hockey/1...cards/1957-58_Parkhurst_6_Rudy_Migay_back.jpg

Rudy Migay was a spectacular player at the minor league level, but primarily a defensive player with the Toronto Maple Leafs. He was best known as a penalty killer along with usual partner Ron Stewart.

The Fort William, Ontario native made quite a name for himself at the junior and AHL levels as a playmaking center. He was adoringly nicknamed "Toy Terrier" because of puny size (he stood just 5'6" and 150 pounds) combined with his tenacious style of play.

However the Leafs were a powerful team in the late 1940s, especially at center ice. Names like Max Bentley and Teeder Kennedy made it next to impossible to get much ice time. Migay was resigned to play with the Pittsburgh Hornets for 4 years before finally cracking the Leafs lineup.

Needless to say, Migay was definitely excited to join the Leafs, although he had to reinvent his game. It took him nearly three years to score as many points as he did in his last year of junior. Migay was content to play in a checking role for nearly 6 complete seasons with the Maple Leafs.

By the end of the 1957-58 season Migay's days in Toronto were coming to a close. He had finished the year in the minor leagues, and aside from the 20 more big league games, he wound up his career in the minor leagues both as player and as a playing coach.

It was a bitter ending for Migay, who felt he could have played at the NHL level over those final years of his career.

"I thought I might have a chance at coming back. I was hoping for a trade," said Migay, who along with Stan Mikita and Elmer Vasko was one of the few players of Slovak descent in the NHL's younger years.

The trade never materialized, of course. It was a different time back in the 1950s and 1960s. Teams could easily bury a player in the minor leagues and hope that the exiled players would tear up the minor leagues and possibly command more from in a trade. Migay held up his part of the deal - he went down without complaint and worked his butt off - scoring 82 points in just 51 games and shared the AHL's Most Valuable Player award (along with Bill Hicke)
http://mapleleafslegends.blogspot.com/2009/06/rudy-migay.html

1990*

Well, it only makes sense to book-end one Finnish legend :)naughty:) with another. I pick for Praha (I hope I am doing it right this time) the right wing Arto Javanainen.

As the leading goal-scorer in Finnish league history, the clever finisher led Liiga in that category five different times during his career. Beyond a brief sojourn overseas in 1985- where he played fourteen games with Pittsburgh and 50 more in the AHL for the affiliate Skipjacks- and two seasons with rival TPS, Javanainen spent the majority of his career with Ässät.

A line of Peltonen-McKechnie-Javanainen should also function well as a unit, with a grinder, a passer and of course a scorer together. Javanainen should also prove useful as a powerplay triggerman.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Dawson City selects Rich Sutter, the gritty right winger who amassed nine 100+ PIM seasons as a quality Bottom-6 role player. He scored 25+ points ten times over a 12-year NHL career. The 21 year old scored three playoff goals on Philly's march to the 1985 Stanley Cup Finals and was the Canucks Unsung Hero in 1988 and 1989. His style of play lent itself to numerous injuries that had him in and out of the line-up. He scored 315 points in 874 career NHL games played.

13229.jpg

Rich Sutter was no different than any of his 5 brothers who also played in the National Hockey League. All six brothers played the exact same style - hardnosed, mucker and grinder, forechecker, role player, pest, and, above all, winner... the family's characteristic hustle and desire.

Rich was drafted 10th overall by the Pittsburgh Penguins in 1982. Six selections earlier Rich's twin brother Ron was chosen by the cross-state rivals the Philadelphia Flyers. That marked the highest drafting of twin brothers until 17 years later when the Sedin twins Daniel and Henrik were drafted 2nd and 3rd overall.

Every team in hockey wanted a Sutter, except for the Penguins apparently. They soured on Rich quickly. They said he had a bad attitude. Rich was disappointed with his ice time early in his rookie season, and let the Penguins management know that he would rather be playing in junior than sitting on the bench in the NHL. From that point on no matter what Rich Sutter did, it wasn't enough for the Pens. He was traded in early October of his second season as a pro. The whole Pittsburgh chapter is messy, as some of the Pens management team bad mouthed Rich to the point where they were potentially ruining his career. Rich was bitter and even to this day he doesn't like to talk about it.

Like the Sedin Twins, Rich and Ron were quickly reunited. After just 9 games total in Pittsburgh, the Flyers traded for Rich in a deal involving lots of draft picks. Ron went on to a long career in Philadelphia but Rich's stay was relatively brief, playing three years with his brother.

Rich cherished his short time in Philly, and not just because Ron was there. He made some great friends and loved the city, But he was shocked when in the summer of 1986, he was sent to Vancouver in a deal for J.J. Daigneault.

Sutter enjoyed 4 years in Vancouver, posting 20, 15 and 17 goals in the first three years respectively. Sutter, who played both wings, often found himself on a line of midget bangers with Steve Bozek and a veteran Stan Smyl. The trio became known as "Club Chaos" or "Hack-Smack-and-Whack - in no particular order."

Those were lean years for fans of the Vancouver Canucks, but Sutter's endless hustle was always appreciated. Unfortunately, the most memorable moment of Sutter's stay in Vancouver, and maybe his whole career, was a serious injury. On October 23, 1988, Sutter was the victim of viscious high sticking incident with the Oilers Mark Messier. Sutter was entering into the Oiler zone by cutting across the middle of the ice. Messier, deciding to play oral surgeon skated by with his stick at head level and clotheslined Sutter. Sutter broke several teeth, ultimately losing four. Sutter spent hours in the dentist chair. The Canucks team dentist even noted that he had to remove hockey tape which was embedded in Sutter's mouth.

Richie, who was tremendously popular among Vancouver fans, was traded with Harold Snepsts, the ultimate Canuck cult-hero, to St. Louis late in the 1989-90 season. He spent the next three years in St. Louis, the first two with his brother Brian as the head coach. The last two years in St. Louis Rich was reunited with Ron as the Blues traded for his rights too.

Rich scored 149 goals and 166 assists in 874 hard played games. He added 1411 PIMs.
http://canuckslegends.blogspot.kr/2006/05/rich-sutter.html

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Love the Nuggets 4th line of Bill Lindsay - Todd Marchant - Rich Sutter :hit::hit::hit:

Now, Dawson City is up again for its 24th round pick, and still needs a backup goalie!

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Not that he's a bad pick now, but why is that such a surprise? Is he better than a single contemporary goalie who's already been selected?

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Not that he's a bad pick now, but why is that such a surprise? Is he better than a single contemporary goalie who's already been selected?

I dont see him being two drafts apart from Khabibulin and one draft worse than Beaupre and Puppa.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Casey managed to be 2 sv% points above the league average over 425 games.

Puppa only played 429 games himself, but was 6 points above the average in his career.

Beaupre was only 2 points over himself, but over a 667 game sample. When his career was just 420 games in, he was 4 points above the average on his career.

Khabibulin was right on the average, but over a career that was literally twice as long. Over his 450-game peak he was 5 points above average.

In the playoffs, Casey's average 5 under the league average is the worst of the bunch as well, aside from Puppa (-19). Khabibulin (0) and Beaupre (-1) come out looking pretty good. Puppa is the only one who couldn't prolong/win a few series along the way, resulting in a pitiful 19 career games (the others have 66-72 apiece).

Only Beaupre and Puppa earned any all-star or norris recognition one would consider significant. Khabibulin, like Casey, didn't, but then he's the one with the double length career and a cup.

Casey got into one ASG - like Puppa. Beaupre was in two, Khabibulin four.

Only other thing I'd like to check is their ratings vs. backups. I'll have to do that in the next while. I'll edit it in.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Khabibulin, Beaupre, Puppa, John Casey
Love the memories! Casey was other worldly, Haesek-like, but for a short time. Khabibulin was The Wall at a time when Phoenix provided no defense (TOI be damned!).

What I have already said was NOT contested back then... ome thought Puppa talented others thought him "poop ah". I certainly thought Beaupre underrated, but I've been a Caps fan since the day Langway was acquired.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Praha select right winger Frank St. Marseille , the three-time Stanley Cup finalist for the expansion Blues, scored 45 points in 62 playoff games in St. Louis, having had five 50+ assist seasons.

STMAILLE0001_20101116125.gif

Complete Handbook Of Pro Hockey said:
... has always been one of St. Louis' top scorers, especially in the playoffs... a smooth skater who plays smart, aggressive hockey... smart veteran center... never a prolific goal scorer, but check his assist record... "goals? what's the difference between goals and assists as long as you get a point and your team wins?"... accomplished defensive forward... steady veteran... best faceoff man on the club... was voted the Kings unsung hero two years ago...

Joe Pelletier said:
... he made his NHL debut as a 28-year old. He scored 16 goals and 32 points in 57 games for St.Louis and earned himself a regular spot on the team. Frank played in three consecutive Stanley Cup finals, losing all three of them.

Franks tenure in St.Louis lasted for six seasons before he was traded to Los Angeles for Paul Curtis on January 27,1973. At the time of the trade Frank held the St.Louis team records for games played and points. Despite that Frank was a very underrated player. He was a consistent and reliable performer.

His best season in LA was a 53 point performance in 74-75. His career high came in St.Louis 69-70 (59 points).

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
There are sooo many worthy picks, arguably Double-A and AAA picks imo (at least in terms of defensive defenseman and Botom-6 forwards and one goaltender), but this draft just has one more per team.

Praha is up now.:popcorn:

Dawson City closes out the draft,

1990*

Well, I checked the list and didn't see this fellow. I feel he is deserving of a spot on a team that has Tom Reid already. He provides all the toughness of that player but also had a very respectable resume as an offensive contributer for a stay-at-home defenseman in the 80s; he tallied 20 or more points in six consecutive seasons, with nine such years overall- including four 30+ point campaigns.

I pick for Praha D Greg Smith

4858-64Fr.jpg

From the Minnesota North Stars book Frozen in Time:

ihsMtWT.png

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: