The 2015 B Draft (Open Edition) has ended.

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
We really need to agree upon some sort of adjusted method of looking at international scoring starts, eh? Some eras are much more important than others, and even within the important era, there are seasons that are out of whack (68,72 I believe) to the point where rolling all starts into one career number may be too reductionist.

The career stats are there just for the sake of completeness. I'm not sorting the table by career PPG of wildly different eras, I'm sorting it by top 10 finishes which are what matter. Talking about eras within the lens of judging them by scoring finishes should occur too (hence my note about Nilsson).

Looking at the time frames of those stats, no, I can't say it's such a sure thing that Nilsson should have been taken long ago.
I should be more comparative making that statement. Considering some of the really questionable European picks, Nilsson is a no-brainer awhile ago. But if you think they were bad picks to begin with, I'm making a silly appeal.

I don't have comparative scoring finishes from international scoring tables from the late 50s through the 60s, but Nilsson would certainly shine there. A more direct approach could be simply comparing his production with Tumba's. Tumba was five years older, but Nilsson's international career almost perfectly overlaps with Tumba's. I don't have either of these things on hand though. I'd also have to figure out what the best source to use for tracking these figures down would be since there's differences from SIHR to Eliteprospects to passionhockey.

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
The career stats are there just for the sake of completeness. I'm not sorting the table by career PPG of wildly different eras, I'm sorting it by top 10 finishes which are what matter. Talking about eras within the lens of judging them by scoring finishes should occur too (hence my note about Nilsson).

Scoring finishes matter more, yes, but also some tournament's results are worth a lot more than others.

I should be more comparative making that statement. Considering some of the really questionable European picks, Nilsson is a no-brainer awhile ago. But if you think they were bad picks to begin with, I'm making a silly appeal.

I don't have comparative scoring finishes from international scoring tables from the late 50s through the 60s, but Nilsson would certainly shine there. A more direct approach could be simply comparing his production with Tumba's. Tumba was five years older, but Nilsson's international career almost perfectly overlaps with Tumba's. I don't have either of these things on hand though. I'd also have to figure out what the best source to use for tracking these figures down would be since there's differences from SIHR to Eliteprospects to passionhockey.

Really? I thought that all the stats for major international tournaments agree... Sihr, eliteprospects, kings of the ice, iihf guide, etc.

All I was saying was even if I saw a Soviet forward with those scoring finishes in those years, I am not sure I'd consider him a slam dunk selection right now. Might also depend a lot on whether he played center or wing.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
With rouse going to Dawson instead of where I wanted him, it's even more important they get a big, strong defensive guy to balance out that defense.

Dale Rolfe, D averaged almost 24 minutes a game for strong post expansion teams, often pairing with Brad Park. He was one of the tallest and heaviest players of his era.

84659.jpg

Earned a 1st team all-star nod in 1967 in the AHL - no small feat.

Dale Rolfe !!!

Awards and Achievements:
Stanley Cup Finalist (1972)

All-Star voting - 17th(1968) 19th(1973)

AHL First Team All-Star (1967)

Offensive Accomplishments:
150 Points in 509 NHL Regular Season Games
29 Points in 71 NHL Play-off Games

117 Points in 337 AHL Regular Season Games
5 Points I 17 AHL Play-off Games

Scoring Percentages:
Points - 59, 48, 48, 37, 37

Best 6 Seasons: 257

At 6'4", 210 lbs, Rolfe was actually one of the biggest players of his time. Using the 1971 season, which was the midpoint of his career, only Pete Mahovlich was taller at 6'5" and no other skater was 6'4". Some teams didn't have a guy over 6'1". Only Bucyk, another Bruin, a Golden Seal, an O6 relic in the west division, and Jerry Korab were heavier.

Rolfe was a rough and tumble player but not to the degree you'd have liked to see for a player his size. He wasn't a major fighter, instead preferring stickwork. His most famous fight was of course against Dave Schultz in the 1973-74 season. Rolfe got pummelled but he hung in there a very long time and stuck it out to the end, despite having his hair pulled and receiving a head butt from Schultz. Details and comments about the fight are listed here.

http://www.dropyourgloves.com/Fights/GameEvents.aspx?Game=14978&Fight=21667#Fight21667

- Rolfe averaged 23.89 minutes per game in his 506 post-expansion games, including 23.37 in four seasons with the very strong early 1970s Rangers.

- Rolfe placed very highly on his team's depth chart in his 8 full seasons: 4th, 2nd (behind White), 4th (behind Brewer, Baun, Bergman), 4th (behind Park, Neilson, Seiling), 4th (same), 2nd (Seiling), 3rd (Park, Seiling), 4th (Park, Marotte, Greschner).

- Rolfe was an important part of the NY Rangers' PK, leading the team in PKTOI twice. He killed 46% of penalties for teams that averaged about average on the PK (worse in LA & Detroit, better in New York). At even strength, he has a respectable career adjusted +31.

- Fun fact: Rolfe actually took two of the more famous slapshots leading to injury, in hockey history. In 1972, his shot hit Jean Ratelle, breaking his ankle and derailing his Hart and Ross season (he still won the Pearson). In the 1974 playoffs, his slapshot hit Barry Ashbee in the eye, ending his career prematurely.

Legends of Hockey said:
Dale Rolfe was a forward until he arrived to play junior hockey with the Barrie Flyers of the OHA in 1956. Under the direction of coach Hap Emms, however, his big, lanky frame was moved back to the blueline to serve and protect his future brother-in-law, goaltender Wayne Rutledge.
Afterwards, Rolfe turned pro with the Boston Bruins' organization in 1959-60. He got a three-game tryout in Beantown, but was sent to the minors by coach Milt Schmidt who questioned Rolfe's commitment to work hard with consistency.

The move proved to be quite a stumbling block to his NHL aspirations. He tumbled his way across the Bruins' minor-league chain with stops in Kingston, Portland, and Hershey until a near-death blow was dealt to his career. He was traded to Eddie Shore's Springfield Indians.

In Springfield, players were taught to play a great defensive game by Shore, a man who was a master of the position in his day. But the price of admission was to be an indentured servant. Players on Shore's team were expected to collect tickets at the turn-styles and to clean up the rink after the game?all for a tiny annual stipend. Rolfe once remarked that the donut sellers made more money than the players did.

On the Indians' blueline, Rolfe was paired with future NHLer and fellow prisoner Bill White. Both players knew that they were better than many of the rearguards who were in the NHL at that time. But Shore wouldn't allow either player to go to the big tent unless he received a small mountain of cash and a pile of minor-league players. No offers came through.

Rolfe endured the situation for four seasons and was contemplating his retirement as a form of escape. In the end, though, the Indians were sold to the expansion L.A. Kings. At last, Rolfe was free to return to the NHL. He joined the Kings' blueline corps in 1967 and lasted until 1970 when he was traded to the Detroit Red Wings. In the Motor City questions about Rolfe's self-discipline continued to be raised. It was observed that he had a tendency to skate like a madman to make the team at training camp and then taper off as the season progressed. As a result, his stay in a Wings' sweater was short. He was traded to the New York Rangers in 1971.

With the Rangers, Rolfe really found his NHL legs. There were no more questions raised about his commitment. He became a pillar on defense, especially during any playoff action.

His most infamous moment came during a playoff game in 1974 against the Philadelphia Flyers. The Flyers were intimidating Ranger players all night. At one point, they were zeroing in on defenseman Brad Park. Rolfe had seen enough. He stepped in to support his defenisve partner when he found himself squared off against Dave "The Hammer" Schultz. Before Rolfe could even react, his knees were already buckling under the weight of a severe beating. None of his Ranger teammates came to his aid.

Rolfe survived the drubbing to play one final season. In the 42nd game of the 1974-75 campaign, however, he crashed into the boards, feet first and suffered a severe ankle break that ended his career.

Wikipedia said:
Rolfe then spent the 1960–61 and 1961–62 season with the Portland Buckaroos of the Western Hockey League. Rolfe then moved to the AHL where he spent the next season with the Hershey Bears and the following four seasons with the Springfield Indians. In the 1967–68 season, he returned to the NHL, playing for the Los Angeles Kings. He played for the Kings until he was traded to the Detroit Red Wings on February 20, 1970. Rolfe stayed in Detroit for the remainder of the 1969–70 season and the majority of the 1970–71 season before being traded to the New York Rangers for Jim Krulicki where he would spend the rest of his professional career, retiring after the 1974–75 NHL season.

Rolfe played a total of 509 NHL regular season games with 25 goals, 125 assists and 556 penalty minutes.

He was recognized by opponents to be a smart defender who uses tremendous reach and strength to play the puck or take a man out of play.

1968 Hockey Card said:
One of the biggest men in hockey at 6-4, 205, Rolfe moves with surprising agility.

Scouting Reports:
Complete Handbook Of Pro Hockey 1973 said:
tallest defenseman in the league... knows how to ride his man into the corner and pin him there... when stationed at the front of the net, Rolfe is effective at tying up an opponent, even if it means tugging at an arm, stick, or sweater...

Complete Handbook Of Pro Hockey 1974 said:
one of those steady, defensive types who are often overlooked in all-star voting but are treasured by coaches and goaltenders... long reach enables him to use pokechecks when shorter defensemen would have to take the body...

The New York Rangers: Broadway's Longest Running Hit said:
a perfect complement for Brad Park on the back line...

Players: The Ultimate A-Z Guide Of Everyone Who Has Ever Played in the NHL said:
a defenseman with tremendous strength... when Rolfe put his mind to taking his man and keeping him away from the puck, there was little the opponent could do.

Fischler's Hockey Encyclopedia said:
One of the biggest skaters in the NHL... upon his arrival in New York, Rolfe matured as a big-leaguer and played the best defense of his life. His skating ability enabled him to lead many a dangerous rush and his long reach enhanced his defensive capabilities...

And a few great quotes from a great book that captures this era very well:

The Rangers said:
“Hey, hockey fight, you get a smack in the mouth or you get knocked on your arse, it's over. You go to the penalty box and you come back out, you may hurt a little bit but you're not hurt in a hockey fight. Well, any fight. You get smacked. It's just the punch, it's no big deal. It's part of the game and it's that simple." – Dale Rolfe

… It was Sunday, May 5, 1974 and the New York Rangers had a one nothing lead on the flyers in Philadelphia midway through the first period of game seven of the Stanley Cup semifinals… Park became entangled with Saleski but Dave Schultz stepped in and went after Rolfe. It may have been one of the most one-sided fights ever seen in the NHL. Some writers claimed it was the turning point of the series and that it showed that the Rangers lacked character as a team for not coming to the aid of one of their teammates… So was it as bad as all that? No, absolutely not. In fact, it may have been one of the most overhyped media events ever reported. The fight itself had no effect on the outcome of the game.… Dale Rolfe played during the rest of the game and was not out of the lineup with an injury. New York outshot Philadelphia 15 to 9 in the third period and had 34 shots on net by the end of the night.… Read with the players themselves thought about this fight and the game. It also find the comments from Rolfe, Schultz and Francis in their interview section of this book… Reach your own conclusion on the importance of this fight from the words of the people closest to the event.

Dale Rolfe: "nope I didn't think it was a turning point when it happened. After it happened. I think it was the turning point because Dave Schultz was sent out to get me, get me or Park, one of the other. It was that simple and I'm telling you this from a very good source from Philadelphia. He was on a mission, I said if you want to win this series, get rid of Rolfe. That was that simple. I'm not blowing smoke up my arse or anything, it's a fact… I was playing well and like I say, I’m not bragging, complaining or being indifferent but I know for a fact Schultz was sent out to take me off the ice. (Shero himself said you were playing good.) Yep.”

Bruce MacGregor: "well, I don't think it helped Dale Rolfe at all. Get into a scrap with a guy like that. I mean, Dale really wasn't a fighter either. He was a big tall guy that could look after himself but I mean, he really wasn't looked upon as much of a fighter.… Schultz went after him, you know, obviously to take him out of the game or whatever.”

Dale Rolfe: “Parkie and I just seemed to click. I could go up the ice and I’d be there all alone and I got very adept at two on ones and three on ones. I could skate, you know, for a big guy, 6’4, 220, whatever I was at the time… yes, I could skate, I had the long stride and I was a strong skater…. I never had any other memorable fights… I know one thing, my stick has never lost a fight… In those days you could use it. So you got fined $500 for hitting a guy over the head, so what? The club paid it anyway.” (did other players retaliate because of the stickwork, or did they just give you more room on the ice?) Uh, not in the NHL, I’ve had a few stick fights in the AHL, maybe once in the NHL.

Last edited:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
:headache: The draft list was repeated players. What a headache happens when more than one person updates things.

If someone wants to spend time on their holiday to straighten things up, go for it. Otherwise I'll do it after the long weekend.

Happy New Year!

Looking forward to 2016, especially ATD 2016.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Draft list is in some trouble...

Edit: just saw vi's post. Not sure who put all those repeated players in there... It sure wasn't me. I'll fix it soon.

Edit again... The only person who's edited the post is you, according to the edit history.

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
:headache: The draft list was repeated players. What a headache happens when more than one person updates things.

If someone wants to spend time on their holiday to straighten things up, go for it. Otherwise I'll do it after the long weekend.

Happy New Year!

Looking forward to 2016, especially ATD 2016.

Straighten things out? What things? like how you said that the draft has ended? And how you just repeated the last nine rounds into rounds 17-25 to fill in the draft list?

No matter how drunk you may have been last night, it's hard to imagine that was an accident. Is this another "vanislander rage quit/sabotage" incident?

If so (and I'm not passing judgment at this moment), it's unfortunately true that you can't be trusted to be in charge of a draft, even a low one like this.

Last edited:

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Draft list:

Round 1

LTC Praha - Shorty Green, RW
Dawson City Nuggets - Richard Farda, C

Round 2

Dawson City Nuggets - Josef Augusta, LW
LTC Praha - John Cullen, C

Round 3

LTC Praha - Willie Marshall, C
Dawson City Nuggets - Ron Grahame, G

Round 4

Dawson City Nuggets - Jiri Kochta, RW
LTC Praha - Sean Hill, D

Round 5

LTC Praha - Tom McCarthy, LW
Dawson City Nuggets - Oleg Tverdovsky, D

Round 6

Dawson City Nuggets - Alexander Steen, C/LW
LTC Praha - Jiri Slegr, D

Round 7

LTC Praha - Brian Gionta, RW
Dawson City Nuggets - Ernie McLea, C

Round 8

Dawson City Nuggets - Marek Zidlicky, D
LTC Praha - Tommy Williams, C/RW

Round 9

LTC Praha - Pete Horeck, LW
Dawson City Nuggets - Daymond Langkow, C

Round 10

Dawson City Nuggets - Bob Plager, D
LTC Praha - Radek Bonk, C

Round 11

LTC Praha - Hugh Bolton, D
Dawson City Nuggets - Sergei Samsonov, W

Round 12

Dawson City Nuggets - Vladimir Ruzicka, C
LTC Praha - Jack McDonald, LW

Round 13

LTC Praha - Earl Robertson, G
Dawson City Nuggets - Nelson Emerson, C/RW

Round 14

Dawson City Nuggets - Jim Dorey, D
LTC Praha - Patrice Brisebois, D

Round 15

LTC Praha - Hal Winkler, G
Dawson City Nuggets - Willie Huber, D

Round 16

Dawson City Nuggets - Bob Rouse, D
LTC Praha - Ville Peltonen, W

Round 17

LTC Praha - Tom Reid, D
Dawson City Nuggets - Dale Rolfe, D

Round 18

Dawson City Nuggets
LTC Praha

Round 19

LTC Praha
Dawson City Nuggets

Round 20

Dawson City Nuggets
LTC Praha

Round 21

LTC Praha
Dawson City Nuggets

Round 22

Dawson City Nuggets
LTC Praha

Round 23

LTC Praha
Dawson City Nuggets

Round 24

Dawson City Nuggets
LTC Praha

Round 25

LTC Praha
Dawson City Nuggets

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Straighten things out? What things? like how you said that the draft has ended? And how you just repeated the last nine rounds into rounds 17-25 to fill in the draft list?

No matter how drunk you may have been last night, it's hard to imagine that was an accident. Is this another "vanislander rage quit/sabotage" incident?
Eh idk I've had some real moments drunk that I don't understand. Don't think we need to accuse anyone of anything.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Dawson City needs a scoring right winger and selects the player with the highest seven year vsx rating left who was also a solid penalty killer, RW/LW - John Anderson.

000230286.jpg

-631 points in 814 career games
-27 points in 37 career playoff games
-1 Top 10 Finish in Power Play Goals
-5 30 Goal Seasons, 3 40 Assist Seasons, 3 70 Point Seasons
-Tied with Kevin Dineen for Hartford Whalers playoff scoring lead in 1986 with 13 points
- Highest 7 Year vsx remaining with 388

LOH said:
Drafted 11th overall by his dream team Leafs, he matured slowly. But by his third year he was a star of the new Kid Line featuring Laurie Boschman and undrafted, though the next year, 1980-81, he called them the Skid Line for their poor season. Later in his Leaf career he played with undrafted and Rick Vaive, again the team's top line, but after four consecutive 30-goal seasons he felt it was time to move on.

Joe Pelletier said:
Anderson played four years with his hometown Toronto Marlies of the OHL where he demonstrated great skill and goal scoring ability. After a final season in junior where he scored 57 goals and 199 points in 64 games, the Leafs grabbed Anderson with the 11th overall draft pick in the 1977 entry draft. Anderson was selected ahead of the likes of Ron Duguay, Mike Bossy, John Tonelli and Rod Langway.

While he may not have earned the status of those other draft picks, Anderson developed into one of the top left wingers in the game in 1980s. He had speed to burn, and the agility to go with it. He had great puck skills - able to softly lay a pass to a streaking teammate or power a slapshot from the top of the faceoff circle. He was a mainstay on the powerplay, and although he did not play aggressive defensive hockey, was a good penalty killer because of his skating abilities.

After an impressive year of apprenticeship in the minor leagues, John joined the Leafs full time in 1978-79. He had his ups and downs in his first three years in the league, but by 1981 he had found a home on the Leafs top line. Anderson's speed and puck skills were a perfect compliment for slippery center Bill Derlago and heavy shooter Rick Vaive.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Praha finally starts a 3rd pairing with two-way giant Boris Mironov, D. For a while Mironov was considered a top-20 defenseman (I remember him on a couple of THN preseason lists) and had a good smattering of offensive, defensive and physical abilities. He played over 22 minutes a game for over 700 games. A guy who managed that for pretty good teams would likely already be gone, but Mironov's teams were 8% worse than average.

Mironov.jpg

- 6'3", 223 lbs
- 22.32 minutes per game for teams 10% below average
- Best defense VsX: 86, 81, 60, 56, 39, 37, 35
- 7 points in 20 major international games

Last edited:

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Praha will form the other part of that pairing with a physical defender who can pitch in offensively and keeps others accountable while playing a lot of minutes (and for generally good teams). D - Kevin Bieksa

0552.kevin_bieksa_jeff_vinnicknhlivg.jpg

633 Games, 245 Points, 22:23 TOI
71 Playoff Games, 25 Points, 24:34 TOI
37-10-6 record on Hockeyfights
TOI/G among defenders for his team: 1,2,2,3,3,3,4,4,4
SHTOI/G among defenders for his team: 2,2,2,3,4,4,4,5,5
PPTOI/G among defenders for his team: 1,1,3,3,3,3,4,4,4

Hockey News said:
Initiates contact from the back end. Owns a good shot from the point. Is defensively responsible and able to log big minutes. Can fight, too. Has all-around appeal and agitating qualities, too.

A Thrilling Ride: The Vancouver Canucks' Fortieth Anniversary Season said:
Bieksa scored three goals in Vancouver's five-game dismantling of San Jose..Bieksa, a terrific two-way defenceman, was at his swashbuckling best when he scored two goals off the rush in Games 1 and 2 of the series. Those goals were of the highlight-reel variety, combining speed and skill. Bieksa required neither of those attributes for his double-overtime series-clinching goal in Game 5. This one was more about luck, a sharp eye, lghtning reflexes, and a couple of fortuitious bounces...while Dan Hamhuis and Kevin Bieksa morphed into one of the league's finest shutdown blueline duos. By month's end, the Canucks were on top of the NHL, a revered position they wouldn't relinquish for the rest of the regular season.

100 Things Blackhawks Fans Should Know and Do Before They Die said:
Chicago's Ben Eager and Vancouver's Kevin Bieksa opted for a mixed martial arts approach, with each body-slamming the other to the ice during the fracas.

Halloween Edition - The Raven Review said:
Fans will remember the team's 2015 off-season as a period of change and renewal. The most notable adjustment was the trade of long-time defenceman Kevin Bieksa who will always be remembered for the game-winning goal he scored to push the Canucks into the Stanley Cup finals in 2011 and for bringing an element of physicality to the Canucks' blue line.

Kevin Bieksa said:
Maybe I'm a little nastier this year, a little more of a chip on my shoulder, but that's just something I thought about in the simmer. I wanted to come in and have a good year and be hungry again.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Dawson will compete it's third line with a guy who you don't often think of as a defensive guy, but who killed a ton of penalties for over 1000 games while being skilled enough to be a secondary (and sometimes primary) scorer for his teams - Radek Dvorak, RW.

radek_dvorak.jpg

- 590 points in 1260 games (only 82 on the PP!!!)
- Best VsX: 70, 57, 53, 41, 40, 40, 39
- Killed 25% of penalties for teams 8% below average
- Stanley Cup finalist in 1996 and 2006
- 26 points in 45 major international games

Last edited:

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Dawson will then add a fourth line center who is a big-time shutdown guy and killed a ton of penalties over his career: C - Todd Marchant

250px-Todd_Marchant_Edmonton_Oilers_1997.jpg

* 1195 Games, 498 Points, 16:43 TOI/G
* 95 Playoff Games, 34 Points, 18:31 TOI/G (2 Playoff OT Goals)

* Stanley Cup Champion (2007)
* Represented USA at 1994 Olympics
* Selke voting – 7th(2003), 8th(2000), 10th(2001)… also votes in 2007 and 2008
* Short-Handed Goals – 5th(1995), 5th(2001), 5th(2010), 6th(2002), 10th(2007), 11th(1995), 20th(2009)
* Peak Years: 1995-2010 - 4th in Short-handed goals, 88% of 2nd place Petr Bondra
* He was on the ice for 45% of his team's PP goals against, 26th all-time among post-expansion forwards (as of 2009). And he did this over 1038 games, more than a lot of guys in front of him.
* 28 career SHGs (24th all-time), despite playing in a generally defense-first era.
* Tied the NHL record for 3 SHGs in a single playoff series

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Dawson will then add a fourth line center who is a big-time shutdown guy and killed a ton of penalties over his career: C - Todd Marchant

250px-Todd_Marchant_Edmonton_Oilers_1997.jpg

* 1195 Games, 498 Points, 16:43 TOI/G
* 95 Playoff Games, 34 Points, 18:31 TOI/G (2 Playoff OT Goals)

* Stanley Cup Champion (2007)
* Represented USA at 1994 Olympics
* Selke voting – 7th(2003), 8th(2000), 10th(2001)… also votes in 2007 and 2008
* Short-Handed Goals – 5th(1995), 5th(2001), 5th(2010), 6th(2002), 10th(2007), 11th(1995), 20th(2009)
* Peak Years: 1995-2010 - 4th in Short-handed goals, 88% of 2nd place Petr Bondra
* He was on the ice for 45% of his team's PP goals against, 26th all-time among post-expansion forwards (as of 2009). And he did this over 1038 games, more than a lot of guys in front of him.
* 28 career SHGs (24th all-time), despite playing in a generally defense-first era.
* Tied the NHL record for 3 SHGs in a single playoff series

finished his career with 47% usage!

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Praha adds to their 4th line with Walt McKechnie, C, a two-way player who is one of the best offensive options now as well.

- Best VsX: 69, 60, 54, 48, 47, 40, 38

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=29084374&postcount=41

Regina selects a first line center who can do a little bit of everything. This guy played 955 NHL games, scoring 606 points. He had 6 50-point seasons, four with 23+ goals. He was hugely relied upon by his teams, being on the ice for 40% of their PP goals and 34% of their PP goals against. He's described as, a good faceoff man, uses his size (6'2", 195) effectively, a hard but clean hitter, fast skater, good playmaker, and can dig the puck from the corners.

What's the downside? Why hasn't a guy like that been selected yet? Well, as relied upon as he was, it was by some awful teams. He got into just 15 playoff games as a result, though he did score 12 points. The scouting reports note that he is a guy many stronger teams would like to have. But it never happened. Take his career -107 with a grain of salt: Overpass' adjusted +/- says an average player would have been -153 over the same time for these teams, making him an adjusted +45.

Walt McKechnie, C

waltmckechnie.jpg

McKechnie was 35 when he retired, a rarity in 1983. The only players in the league older than him, were Tony Esposito, Vaclav Nedomansky, Carol Vadnais, Serge Savard, and Wayne Cashman. He had 43 points that year in just 65 games - more than any of the 11 skaters in the league 34 and older.

Shorthanded: The Untold Story Of the Seals said:
"Walt was a great centreman and one of the best puckhandlers in the league at the time. He was doing things then - like passing the puck between the feet or off of skates - that guys wouldn't do for years. He had a dry sense of humour and was a good team guy."...McKechnie led the 1972 seals with a +2 rating - one of the few times a Seals player had a positive rating in the teams history... One of McKechnie's roles on the Seals was killing penalties. Carol Vadnais remembered McKechnie as a "good team player. He was good with the puck and a good penalty killer."... Perhaps McKechnie's greatest asset was his stickhandling. He had a long reach and handled the puck very well. "This guy could stickhandle through everybody. He had a lot of one-liners and was a real prankster."

He was big and strong in front of the net, like a Phil Esposito...

"He hated losing", said Reggie Leach. "He tried so hard... he got mad when we didn't play well..."

"he made soft flip passes and was also great on faceoffs."

Last edited:

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
If I understood the rules correctly.

Ill draft Bill Lindsay, LW for Dawson City.

4984-253Fr.jpg

Edit: Might be a bad pick at this level? But if I recall he has a short prime as a PKer.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
If I understood the rules correctly.

Ill draft Bill Lindsay, LW for Dawson City.

4984-253Fr.jpg

Edit: Might be a bad pick at this level? But if I recall he has a short prime as a PKer.

you'd actually be picking for Praha, who already has a 4th line LW. keep him as a spare or draft someone else?

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Eh idk I've had some real moments drunk that I don't understand.
Thank you.

A bottle of Jagrmeister on New Year's has left my memory fuzzy and my jeep glass windshield broken (I recall punching it when some guy at the pumps tried to waive me away from my fav pump :laugh: ).

Now the holiday is over and I'm back (well, back at the Internet cafe for a bit daily - given my computer problems in recent weeks).

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Dawson City selects coach Dick Carroll

138072d1228080327-gambo-t_wil1-photo-dick_carroll1909.jpg

• led the Toronto team in the National Hockey League to the Stanley Cup championship in 1918
  • led the Toronto Canoe Club junior hockey team to the Memorial Cup in 1920
  • coached the Pittsburgh Yellow Jackets of the United States Amateur Hockey Association, leading them to two championships in 1924 and 1925.
  • coached the Duluth Hornets of the American Hockey Association for two seasons (1926 to 1928) and the Tulsa Oilers for three seasons (1928 to 1931). Over his first five years as a coach in the AHA, Carroll's teams finished in first place four times.
  • He was also a football and boxing coach, and was manager of the Guelph Maple Leafs baseball team of the Intercounty Baseball League, winning the league championship in 1928.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Eh just keep him for a spare.
Peltonen played as much RW as LW, is a true 'W', so he could play the right side and Lindsay the left for a utility line.

Bill Lindsay - Walt McKechnie - Ville Peltonen

Lindsay was huge on the Panthers Stanley Cup Finals run, Peltonen a leader and great skater who was constantly clutch internationally and McKechnie as the two-way pivot. Nice.

1990*

This looks like fun.

If I understand the format correctly, Praha is up. I select for their side coach Frank Mathers.

To say Mathers dedicated his life to the game is an understatement; he spent 35 years as coach, GM and President of the AHL's Hershey Bears, and was inducted as a builder into the HOF in 1992 based solely on his resume as a minor league executive. In six finals appearances during his time behind the bench, Mathers won three Calder Cup championships. He added an additional five in other roles for the organization, for a total of eight Cups. Only once in seventeen years did one of his teams fail to make the playoffs, and he carried a lifetime regular season record of 596-495-129 (0.727).

Mathers is a good choice for Praha as he was Willie Marshall's coach almost exclusively during their respective primes.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Peltonen played as much RW as LW, is a true 'W', so he could play the right side and Lindsay the left for a utility line.

Lindsay was huge on the Panthers Stanley Cup Finals run, Peltonen a leader and great skater who was constantly clutch internationally and McKechnie as the two-way pivot. Nice.

Everything from the NHL has Peltonen at LW, and perhaps even more importantly, internationally (where his scoring stats seem to be the selling point for you) he was playing with Selanne over the years, who was RW, correct? So when/where was he RW?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad