The 2015-2016 Blues Playoff Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

execwrite

May 4, 2002
Peekskill, NY
Visit site
Given that The Blues shut down Kane & Toews, and Benn & Spezza, I think they can do the same to Thornton, Marleau & Couture and Crosby, Malkin & Kessel. The only question is whether or not The Blues will come to play at the start of each game, not let down when the bounces don't go their way, and want it badly enough to do everything it takes to win, for the 3rd and 4th series.

I can't imagine The Blues losing to Nashville. I can see them losing to The Sharks, but I expect them to win that series. The Cop Finals would be a toss-up against The Pens, or The Bolts (IF Stamkos is back, playing decently), if NOT I expect Pittsburgh to beat them, and Rhe Blues not face them.

Whoa there, big guy. Benn & Spezza aren't in the same league as Crosby, Malkin and Kessel.

Pens just knocked off the President's Cup winner. They would be tough to beat.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I got a Budweiser red light goal horn for my birthday. Every time the Blues score, my 3 dogs get a treat. Every time that thing goes off they come running and excited, but usually they sit in the TV room watching the games with me and waiting for a goal.

At the beginning of the playoffs I bought 3 bags of treats. We finished one bag in the first round (I was giving treats for Minnesota goals, too). I have about 2/3 of the way through the 2nd bag. About a bag and 1/3 left....just enough for making a historic Cup run.

I have two thoughts about the playoffs:
I can't help but feel that this is going to be the year. This team feels different, and seems to have a mentality to go all the way. They're capable of beating the teams that are left, although I give credit to all those teams also being capable of winning the Cup. But the Blues could do it.

However if they don't, while I'll be very disappointed and feel like it was a golden opportunity lost, I'll also be able to go back and watch those Game 7 wins and the highlights of the playoffs and have some good feelings about this post-season. The last few years, there just wasn't anything really positive to take from those series. This year they've already provided me with some good memories and reward for being a fan.

I want more for this team. My son arrives for his summer visit the day after the end of the WCF. It would be so great to be able to sit and enjoy the SCF together live. That would be a memory I would treasure. I remember taking him to his first game at 5y of age the same year the Blues were earning the 1st overall EJ pick. This is the first time he's been able to enjoy any post-season success. Its great to see him becoming a fan in his own right, but I'd love to share the ultimate success with him.

Sushiko

Don’t touch my Bozak
Jul 7, 2011
PHX AZ
I got a Budweiser red light goal horn for my birthday. Every time the Blues score, my 3 dogs get a treat. Every time that thing goes off they come running and excited, but usually they sit in the TV room watching the games with me and waiting for a goal.

At the beginning of the playoffs I bought 3 bags of treats. We finished one bag in the first round (I was giving treats for Minnesota goals, too). I have about 2/3 of the way through the 2nd bag. About a bag and 1/3 left....just enough for making a historic Cup run.

That's awesome. I'd bet that's fun to see and even more fun to give them that many celebratory treats! Here's hoping your dogs gain a pound or two by the time it's over :laugh:

trevorftw

Voice of Reason
Sep 7, 2009
Saint Louis
Despite what the players are saying, you have to believe they're rooting for Nashville in game 7 tonight. It's an easier matchup for sure.

If it turns out to be Nashville, it could set up for an epic game 7 in the WCF.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
What's interesting is that all three West teams would be feeling extremely confident. The Blues surely feel like they can beat anyone after taking down Chicago and Dallas.

The Sharks would feel the same way about beating the Kings and Predators.

And the Predators would feel the same way if they were able to take down the Ducks and Sharks... both in game 7 on the ROAD.

The last one especially jumps out to me. I do prefer Nashville as a matchup (weaker offense, similar style of play, closer travel) but if they pull off another victory tonight, they will be feeling invincible.

It's going to be a tough 6 or 7-game matchup either way, barring something unexpected.

HappyGilmore

May 5, 2015
What's interesting is that all three West teams would be feeling extremely confident. The Blues surely feel like they can beat anyone after taking down Chicago and Dallas.

The Sharks would feel the same way about beating the Kings and Predators.

And the Predators would feel the same way if they were able to take down the Ducks and Sharks... both in game 7 on the ROAD.

The last one especially jumps out to me. I do prefer Nashville as a matchup (weaker offense, similar style of play, closer travel) but if they pull off another victory tonight, they will be feeling invincible.

It's going to be a tough 6 or 7-game matchup either way, barring something unexpected.

You bring up good points, but I don't care how invincible Nashville feels. In 2012, the Blues felt great about themselves after beating the Sharks in the first round only to unknowingly run into the eventual Cup champs that crushed them. I feel good about either opponent, but I'd feel pretty content with the Predators.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Whoa there, big guy. Benn & Spezza aren't in the same league as Crosby, Malkin and Kessel.

Pens just knocked off the President's Cup winner. They would be tough to beat.
I said a series between The Blues and Pens would be a toss-up, IF The Blues come to play every game, play determined all 60 minutes, and are willing to do what it takes to win. That doesn't sound to me that I said that The Blues would be a lock to win.

The Blues' team defence concentrated on leaving Kane and Toews and Hossa no operating room. It worked, and allowed them to beat The Blackhawks. Are you saying that The Blues WOULDN'T be capable of limiting Crosby, Malkin and Kessell from scoring near their normal level? If so, then The Blues won't have much chance to defeat Pittsburgh.

Where did I say that The Blues should have an easy time defeating The Pens, BECAUSE they held Benn and Spezza to low scoring numbers. I used The Blues' team defence work vs. the big scorers on Chicago and Dallas to state that The Blues are CAPABLE of beating The Pens. I didn't say it would be a "cakewalk".

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
who cares who we play. blues have beat two teams with over 100pts, one of them with a goalie who has won 2 cups. they can beat either of these 2 teams if they play their game.

i would prefer nashville only due to geographic reasons.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
You bring up good points, but I don't care how invincible Nashville feels. In 2012, the Blues felt great about themselves after beating the Sharks in the first round only to unknowingly run into the eventual Cup champs that crushed them. I feel good about either opponent, but I'd feel pretty content with the Predators.
Uh, that example is not at all similar or relevant.

And yes I'd prefer Nashville too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad