Not open for further replies.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Home ice vs Chicago.

anigif_original-29303-1451935963-7.gif

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Well here it is. Are we all in agreement that a first round exit means a new coach and basically nuking the team aside from the young core? I'd want to see huge changes. At least we'll get it over with if it does turn bad.

Freyj

Oct 5, 2012
So if LA wins then tomorrow's games should be irrelevant for standing in the west.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Well here it is. Are we all in agreement that a first round exit means a new coach and basically nuking the team aside from the young core? I'd want to see huge changes. At least we'll get it over with if it does turn bad.

Yep. No reason for Backes to be brought back. Shop off Shattenkirk and maybe even Steen at the deadline. I doubt JBo will be traded but I wouldn't be upset if he was gone. Don't re-sign Brouwer and look for different guys through FA to fill out the roster.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
As confident as I was last year that we were going to win, I'm even more confident we're going to lose this year. There's no reason to believe this team is going to win any more than one game.

At the very least our awesome avatars will make total sense. I really hate the idea of nuking what is a very good team, but very good doesn't win Cups.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I'd say our 6 most important forwards are (in no particular order) Tarasenko, Schwartz, Steen, Backes, Stastny, and Fabbri. I'd be looking to retain those guys unless I had a very specific on-ice reason not to.

The top 9 forwards that I think are basically dead weight (or that should be first on the chopping block) are Lehtera, Brouwer, and Berglund. I'd explore moving on from all 3 before I entertain thoughts of moving on from one of the previous 6 names.

It's pretty clear who our best four defenders are on defense. The guy I would most like to get rid of is Bouwmeester. He's adequate enough, but he's not a true any situation guy and he just never seems to be making an impact play with the puck. That wouldn't be that bad if his defense wasn't slipping, but it is. It's a shame he has a NTC and the other three are RHD.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Yep. No reason for Backes to be brought back. Shop off Shattenkirk and maybe even Steen at the deadline. I doubt JBo will be traded but I wouldn't be upset if he was gone. Don't re-sign Brouwer and look for different guys through FA to fill out the roster.

Funny, Army will do exactly opposite moves.

I think we should focus on playoffs now, if we fall then we'll turn page and thinking to off-season, but lets give team the opportunity to show can we/they beat Chicago. I know we can, but question is do we've confidence to do it. The Killer Instinct.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
If we fail in the PO's:

1. Let Backes walk
2. Trade Bo as a cap dump--if we get something decent in return, all the better
3. Trade Shatty--just to clear the RHD backlog and b/c I think he will bring a good return.
4. Trade Lehtera if any of our moves bring back a decent 2C or better
5. Schwartz_-controversial on this one but if he disappears in the PO's, I would make quiet inquiries to see if we could "win" a lateral trade (either single player or package). I'm fine keeping him as well but I wouldn't lose it if we moved him for a killer deal.

Tell DA that, under no circumstances is he allowed to discuss moving Tank, Parayko, Petro or Fabbri.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
when you play the blackhawks, you also have to deal with some biased and brutal officiating. blues PK better come to play because they will be tested alot.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014

this is why schwartz/steen/stastny/backes have to produce as a whole. we cannot have a oshie like showing from these 4.

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007

this is why schwartz/steen/stastny/backes have to produce as a whole. we cannot have a oshie like showing from these 4.

This goes without saying..he always speaks in platitudes. Annoying.

I want to hear how this team is going to be different than the previous years gong shows.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia

I think Backes will stay anyway, should be the safest of the over 27s

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
I don't see a reason to bring back Backes as captain and most likely overpay to keep him. He's part of the losing core. Get rid of him.

illinidave

Feb 15, 2013
Edwardsville, IL
Looking for Backes, Steen, and Bergy to take off their Harry Potter invisibility cloaks starting Wednesday....and for Reaves to level Keith, Seabrooks, and Shaw.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Schwartz is definitely not on the block with how his return has impacted the team. We immediately added a point per game average the minute he stepped back into our lineup. I know he hasn't been as hot as what he was when he started out, but that happens to every player.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
This is supposed to a thread about the playoffs, not what to do with players in the offseason.

The Blues should be able to use their bigger players to advantage. My only concern in that regard is the officiating. If the referees give the Hawk players protection, we will pay a price in power play goals allowed. That is where Chicago is really tough. Will Reaves be a marked man by the referees, or can he play a physical game?

The Blues will have to play disciplined hockey. Make the big hit when it is a available, but no headhunting, no leaving the feet, jumping into the hit.

I am concerned with another aspect of the series. In two recent series, we have seen key Blues players hit and injured by our opponents. Both guys (Backes and Pietrangelo) missed time, and returned with limitations. Will we retaliate? Hitch seems unwilling to do it. If Hitch is willing to do so, Ott seems useful in the role. Too bad he is ill.

If Elliott falters, will Hitch be willing to use Allen? Allen has shown the ability to
steal a game on the road. He has also shown the ability to founder on the road.

The key Blues player, for me, will be Alexander Steen. Chicago will be covering Tarasenko and Fabbri. Steen could be the guy to come through. He had some big chances in the Minnesota series last year, and couldn't score on them. I think he is a terrific player, but you can't say he has been money in the playoffs. Maybe this year, we will be able to say that.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I'd say our 6 most important forwards are (in no particular order) Tarasenko, Schwartz, Steen, Backes, Stastny, and Fabbri. I'd be looking to retain those guys unless I had a very specific on-ice reason not to.

The top 9 forwards that I think are basically dead weight (or that should be first on the chopping block) are Lehtera, Brouwer, and Berglund. I'd explore moving on from all 3 before I entertain thoughts of moving on from one of the previous 6 names.

It's pretty clear who our best four defenders are on defense. The guy I would most like to get rid of is Bouwmeester. He's adequate enough, but he's not a true any situation guy and he just never seems to be making an impact play with the puck. That wouldn't be that bad if his defense wasn't slipping, but it is. It's a shame he has a NTC and the other three are RHD.

Bouwmeester has no offense to his game. He had a couple of 15 goal seasons early in his career. How did that happen? What was he doing then that he isn't doing now?

He can still skate well, and he is savvy, so I don't mind seeing him out there against the Hawks, keeping an eye on Kane looking for a stretch pass.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
The drag from mid-season to the playoffs is bad enough, the 4 day wait from the end of the season to Game 1 is the worst part of it.

BlueMagic

Oct 19, 2014
I just hope all hands are on deck for this. I'm very concerned that Allen won't be healthy. I understand Elliott has been named the starter, and I'm happy about that, but I just have a bad feeling Ells regular season magic won't last more than a few games in this series and we will need Allen.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
This is supposed to a thread about the playoffs, not what to do with players in the offseason.

The Blues should be able to use their bigger players to advantage. My only concern in that regard is the officiating. If the referees give the Hawk players protection, we will pay a price in power play goals allowed. That is where Chicago is really tough. Will Reaves be a marked man by the referees, or can he play a physical game?

The Blues will have to play disciplined hockey. Make the big hit when it is a available, but no headhunting, no leaving the feet, jumping into the hit.

I am concerned with another aspect of the series. In two recent series, we have seen key Blues players hit and injured by our opponents. Both guys (Backes and Pietrangelo) missed time, and returned with limitations. Will we retaliate? Hitch seems unwilling to do it. If Hitch is willing to do so, Ott seems useful in the role. Too bad he is ill.

If Elliott falters, will Hitch be willing to use Allen? Allen has shown the ability to
steal a game on the road. He has also shown the ability to founder on the road.

The key Blues player, for me, will be Alexander Steen. Chicago will be covering Tarasenko and Fabbri. Steen could be the guy to come through. He had some big chances in the Minnesota series last year, and couldn't score on them. I think he is a terrific player, but you can't say he has been money in the playoffs. Maybe this year, we will be able to say that.

This is why I think there should be some accountability for refs when they make bad game altering calls. Reaves being tossed from that Chicago games comes to mind. I hope that is looming in the mind of the refs as he should definitely get some play room. Probably not, though, we are talking about the Hawks.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
I really hope they get the playoff days and times set by this evening. Last minute time off requests from work don't always get approved.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
If the Blues make it to the 2nd round we need to have a HFBlues meetup/watch party

I would be all for this. A movie theatre owner out in St. Charles off 94 will sometimes play the games on the movie screens. I did it a couple of years ago and it was good times.

Also, can we start a gofundme or something for Elk to get his glorious ass over here next year for a game. I will pay for a Blues ticket out of my own pocket since I owe him, just need to get him over here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad