Prospect Info: The 2013 NHL Entry Draft [Part VI] From Here To Eternity: 18 Days To The NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
A linemate you have great chemistry with can make your skill set look better than it would playing with a scrub though, right?

Not really. A player may have more of an impact in the game and score more points, but it doesn't change their skills. Scouts look at different things when watching a game.

Then not only that, they both played well away from each other this year when each of them were injured.

IndustryLeech

Jan 23, 2013
Fort Collins, CO
Not really. A player may have more of an impact in the game and score more points, but it doesn't change their skills. Scouts look at different things when watching a game.

Then not only that, they both played well away from each other this year when each of them were injured.

Fair enough, thanks for your insight.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
Why not discuss each player as an individual, rather than pulling up boogeyman arguments based on past draft position, coming from people who have never seen either player even play a game?

Gare Joyce ‏@GareJoyceNHL 47m
Spoke to 3 sr scouts Mon., none w Seth Jones @ #1, 2 don't have SJ @ #2 & one has him #4 behind Barkov ("not sold on him, see Erik Johnson")

Here is the tweet that brought this whole argument up again. Do you think the sr. scout who said this to Joyce has seen either of them play? If a sr. scout is comfortable making that comparison, I see no reason to just dismiss it outright, unless someone else on this board is a sr. scout for an NHL team and can say that this guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

As to the comparison itself, I don't believe they are saying that EJ and Jones are the same player. I believe they are saying that they both have the same kind of hype going into the draft.

Ice Crusher

Apr 10, 2011
Quebec City
Here is the tweet that brought this whole argument up again. Do you think the sr. scout who said this to Joyce has seen either of them play? If a sr. scout is comfortable making that comparison, I see no reason to just dismiss it outright, unless someone else on this board is a sr. scout for an NHL team and can say that this guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

As to the comparison itself, I don't believe they are saying that EJ and Jones are the same player. I believe they are saying that they both have the same kind of hype going into the draft.

Well, McKenzie still have Jones #1...Is one other guy gonna make you change your mind? He's legit for sure...but so many people have not the same point of view on players that I put my trust entirely on our organization of picking the BPA for our team.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
Well, McKenzie still have Jones #1...Is one other guy gonna make you change your mind? He's legit for sure...but so many people have not the same point of view on players that I put my trust entirely on our organization of picking the BPA for our team.

And that is exactly what we are all going to do... put our trust Pracey, and Pracey is going to get exactly who he wants. The pick is gonna come in and whoever it is, it will be who the Avs want, and we will all live with it. I don't think anyone would actually consider jumping ship because of a draft pick.

However, I was just reading the trade board and saw the rumor that Buffalo is trying to make a play for our pick. I think I might be fine with that if they offer us a king's ransom for it.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I just don't understand how it's logical to say a team should pass on someone because he had a few similarities to a past player who never lived up to expectations. No one player is the same, so basing a decision on a past player seems ridiculous.

EJ and Jones have some similarities for sure, but Jones has faced much tougher competition in his draft year than EJ did and excelled, he's a smarter player, and he's a better skater. He's a hell of a lot closer to Pietrangelo than EJ but people keep going back to EJ because he was drafted 1st instead of 4th.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
It seems more and more each day that to me we are probably going to trade the pick. In fact id be surprised if any of COL, FLA, TB didnt end up trading their picks.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I'm not positive of it - it's just something that I'm afraid might happen.

Monster_under_bed.jpg

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado

Hmm, doesn't that imply that the monster under the bed is indeed real since you can physically see hands coming out from under it?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
It seems more and more each day that to me we are probably going to trade the pick. In fact id be surprised if any of COL, FLA, TB didnt end up trading their picks.

Shockingly, I agree.

I mean its normal for there to be trade talk every year involving the 1st overall pick, but this year there seems to be more then normal. Plus you even have Roy himself who has said they could very well trade down a few spots. That's pretty big.

Something seems to be brewing between the Avs, Sabres, and a 3rd team(Either TBL,NSH, or FLA) at this point. The Sabres have been quoted many a times by many reporters to have serious interest in the top 3 pick, and specifically #1. Now today the rumor comes out again only from the head of scouting that said they have talked and will continue(The important part IMO) to talk right up to the draft.

I just get the feeling were gonna see a 3 way trade where the Sabres get the #1 pick, the Avs a 2/3/4 pick, and the other team the 8 Pick. With significant +'s going everywhere else.

Seems to be some real steam coming out of this idea.

As long as we stay Top 4 though. I don't really care. And the Sabres sound really desperate to get the 1st overall.

I could see us coming out with like the #4 + #8/Myers/Grigorenko. Which would be unreal to say the least.

Mr Serious

Jul 23, 2011
Personally, unless the trade is highway robbery I don't want to trade away the pick.

I feel that after having to endure this year and winning the lottery they need to keep the pick.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I still don't particularly care who they take, as long as they don't draft for current positional need, and do draft the player they believe is the BPA.

They'll get a really good young player however they go.

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
This is going to go around and around endlessly without anything like a definitive or logical answer. It basically boils down to: Jones is a defenseman and MacKinnon is a forward. That's why MacKinnon is the best player available and he should be the pick. Ironically the argument is incompatible with a BPA argument, unless they want to go ahead and argue that forwards are superior to defensemen, period. If a white hot "Sidney Crosby of defensemen" prospect or "next Bobby Orr" was sitting there at the top of the draft boards, none of these arguments would be any different. The player would still be a potential bust because he plays defense and no other reason. None of these arguments are any more nuanced than that.

I'll give my opinion without mentioning position at all then. I prefer MacKinnon because I think he is ready to step in right away and be a star rookie much like Duchene and Landeskog were. With Jones, there is more development needed before he approaches his peak, and therefore more things that can go wrong along the way.

Jones may have a higher ceiling, but it's not by much IMO, and my opinion is that Mac is further along in his development. If ceilings are fairly similar, I generally prefer the player that is further along in development.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Shockingly, I agree.

I mean its normal for there to be trade talk every year involving the 1st overall pick, but this year there seems to be more then normal. Plus you even have Roy himself who has said they could very well trade down a few spots. That's pretty big.

Something seems to be brewing between the Avs, Sabres, and a 3rd team(Either TBL,NSH, or FLA) at this point. The Sabres have been quoted many a times by many reporters to have serious interest in the top 3 pick, and specifically #1. Now today the rumor comes out again only from the head of scouting that said they have talked and will continue(The important part IMO) to talk right up to the draft.

I just get the feeling were gonna see a 3 way trade where the Sabres get the #1 pick, the Avs a 2/3/4 pick, and the other team the 8 Pick. With significant +'s going everywhere else.

Seems to be some real steam coming out of this idea.

As long as we stay Top 4 though. I don't really care. And the Sabres sound really desperate to get the 1st overall.

I could see us coming out with like the #4 + #8/Myers/Grigorenko. Which would be unreal to say the least.

How can you possibly get #4 and #8? How did Buffalo get #4?

I think if Buffalo wants #1 then #8 and #16 are starters. (That could likely get Buffalo to #4)

Ennis/Sekera/Ehrhoff/any prospect would be on the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad