Post-Game Talk: That's 10 down.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Many of us can proudly say we criticized this team during the 10 game win streak too.

I mean this team has been pretty bad going back to December last year record wise. The underlying numbers aren’t anything great. Then you add in that Hakstol hasn’t done shit in his career to get that type of pass & here we are. That’s just complaints on a surface level. There’s more complex arguments as to why he’s unfit for the job at this point.

I don’t think he’s holding back a dynasty here but this team isn’t that bad. He certainly offers zero solutions to the problems at best.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I really don't think Knoblauch is ready, and he's proven nothing so far. It's too risky to go to another mild mannered, boring, rookie coach, even if he actually can be a good one in a few years. I think the best play is to get an interim guy in there who won't actively sabotage the team, especially the youths, and then see what shakes loose in the spring if a respectable coach gets canned. But any interim would get closely instructed by Hextall on how to manage the roster presumably, and that's not comforting either given how likeminded he is with Hakstol.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I really don't think Knoblauch is ready, and he's proven nothing so far. It's too risky to go to another mild mannered, boring, rookie coach, even if he actually can be a good one in a few years. I think the best play is to get an interim guy in there who won't actively sabotage the team, especially the youths, and then see what shakes loose in the spring if a respectable coach gets canned.

MIKE KEENAN

Reactions: kelmitchell

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Firing Hak and getting an interim seems like the best option. This season is clearly on Hak and lappy. This group of players should be a top 15 team. We are not supposed to be with the wings. If we get a coach that simply knows how to play the rookies and how to hold players out of the lineup we would win a lot more.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
This team should be much better than their record. Hextall needs to make up his damn mind whether he wants to utilize young players or rely on vets (I'd hope not). Playing Manning and MacDonald over other player doesn't bode well for this club.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
DQEcg7uX4AAD5K0

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
The last two times the Flyers made the playoffs, it was because Mason carried them through long, improbable winning streaks. Does anyone think Brian Elliott could do that?

The Flyers special teams were much better then. Mason, Ghost and Giroux carried that team into the playoffs with help from other teans as well. That team also played with a swagger and with confidence. This group is as fragile as a uncooked egg

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Columbus is only a couple goals away from being 12th in goals for....and their PP is putrid. Says how well they do at 5v5, where they are the third best scoring team in the league. As of the last time I checked, CBJ were right at the top in expected goals for % too. Their process is ultra sound, even if Bob helps a lot. That skater roster isn’t even that good, especially at center, which is really meh. I don’t see any sizable gap between their lineup and ours in talent. But they play good hockey. If they right their PP, they’re cooking.

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
Even the announcers had a good point, after the Giroux goal was disallowed (Jones wanted Hakstol to throw the bench on the ice), I'd have gone on the ice, yelled at a ref and tried to get thrown out of the game. That's the end of Hakstol for me, because there are times every HC has to strategically go gonzo, and that was the time - this team has been getting screwed by the refs on a consistent basis, and that was the perfect time to stand up for your team - they might have lost the game, but they would have been flying out there.

I'd like to revisit this.

They didn't show Hak's immediate reaction on either the PHI or BOS broadcasts. Was anyone in the building who can report whether he showed ANYTHING?

Deadhead is absolutely correct that it was the time and place to pull an Earl Weaver and show some fire, or at least a damn PULSE.

I get the impression he barely flinched.

Also, it appeared the refs talked to Giroux and Simmonds before going to the bench? Does the guy command any respect?

Snider must be turning over in his grave. Utter disgrace.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
I really don’t understand how you’re even supposed to evaluate top prospects’ progress when you do all of this. How would we know if they’re falling on their faces? They’re not set up to succeed in any way.
I'll certainly agree that TK should be getting more ice time than he gets in the 3rd especially in a game we are losing. However, I have seen him get 4 unmolested breakaway chances due to his speed, and he has missed every one. Coaching isn't preventing him from cashing opportunities like these in.

Reactions: BernieParent

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I'll certainly agree that TK should be getting more ice time than he gets in the 3rd especially in a game we are losing. However, I have seen him get 4 unmolested breakaway chances due to his speed, and he has missed every one. Coaching isn't preventing him from cashing opportunities like these in.

But Weise and Lehtera aren't even going to get a scoring chance. Even if TK remains snake-bitten, someone could pot a rebound. Remember when TK chipped it to himself and then centered it to a open wing and no one was even in the offensive zone with him?

Last edited:

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
We were in the Stanley Cup Final 3 years later. Hextall/Hakstol still haven't even made it to the 2nd round yet.
We could still sign useful free agents or trade for players like Kimmo and Hartnell who were budget decisions for NSH. We also traded major assets for roster all the time, which is part of the reason we are in the 2017 mess.

The NHL is a completely different animal now, and I don't think Snider would be able to change anything. This team is trying to rebuild from the ground up, keeping 3 or 4 top end vets along the process.

Reactions: explosive skating

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Hextall needs to be fired as well.

Its not acceptable to normalize this type of futility.

I cant see him ever flipping the switch from builder to contender. Its almost like he has been given a lobotamy and lost all of his desire to win.
I really don't see why he should be switching off of builder when we have not finished building?

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
But Weise and Lehtera aren't even going to get a scoring chance. Even if TK remains snake-bitten, someone could pot a rebound. Remember when TK chipped it to himself and then centered it to a open wing and no one was even in the offensive zone with him?
I have ZERO issue with TK getting more time and generating these opportunities.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad