GDT: NHL 2024 Draft Lottery: Tuesday, May 7th, 6:30 pm | ESPN, ESPN+, SN, TVAS, Fubo (live stream with free trial) (Habs pick 5th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
MOD edit: Teams can move up maximum of 10 spots. It's a count down of all 16 teams that missed playoffs.

Current Draft Order:

16. St. Louis Blues
15. Detroit Red Wings
14. Pittsburgh Penguins (SJS own this pick due to Karlsson trade)
13. Minnesota Wild
12. Philadelphia Flyers
11. Buffalo Sabres
10. New Jersey Devils
9. Calgary Flames
8. Seattle Kraken
7. Ottawa Senators
6. Utah Hockey Club
5. Montreal Canadiens
4. Columbus Blue Jackets
3. Anaheim Ducks
2. Chicago Blackhawks
1. San Jose Sharks

Just excited about the Celebrini sweepstakes. T-minus 3 days until we find out!

I have this horrible gut feeling Chicago or Utah wins 1st Ov.

Last edited by a moderator:

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
I'd be particularly happy with winning the 2nd OA.

Without winning a lotto we can close the door on Demidov.

If we move down any, Lindstrom becomes very unlikely.

Then it's a matter of preference by the team, I'm hoping it's Catton or Sennecke.
I would also be satisfied 2OA. Demidov looks like he will be one hell of a player.
Can't be disappointed with that.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
giphy.gif
Another day of disappointment ?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
They'd go Demidov.. Arpon basically confirms that in his latest pods and articles.

Whether they'd be overtly aggressive to try to trade up to get him is another guess, but the staff is high on Demidov and they don't have any questions on his overall game the way they did on Michkov.

How do you think Arpon knows this, or thinks he knows this?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I would also be satisfied 2OA. Demidov looks like he will be one hell of a player.
Can't be disappointed with that.

The part with Demidov that makes me wonder is who knows how good he is? Are NHL scouts relying on their connections in Russia?

How much scouting has there actually been with the Russians? I'm not denying Demidov is at serious talent. I just wonder where the deep scouting is coming from?

So why do you say the tankathon predictor is dumb?

Do you mean it's dumb to run the predictor and think what result you get will tell us much about what result we'll get tonight?

Because it is dumb and not accurate. duh

Wow, you want to debate this now?

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
The part with Demidov that makes me wonder is who knows how good he is? Are NHL scouts relying on their connections in Russia?

How much scouting has there actually been with the Russians? I'm not denying Demidov is at serious talent. I just wonder where the deep scouting is coming from?
I'm sure teams have access to vids. @montreal posted shift by shift vids. Not hard for NHL teams to have all the info required from i.e. agents and contacts.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Because it is dumb and not accurate. duh

Wow, you want to debate this now?
It's a simulator. How is it not accurate? If you run it only 20 times you are not going to get a perfect distribution of the odds.

What's dumb is thinking you will.

Reactions: DiglettDangles

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm sure teams have access to vids. @montreal posted shift by shift vids. Not hard for NHL teams to have all the info required from i.e. agents and contacts.

Actual scouting is much deeper than just video recordings. It's utilized yes but you don't get the full picture most of the time.

Russians do generate top talent so I guess there is some level of trust there with word of mouth and some video watching.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
Actual scouting is much deeper than just video recordings. It's utilized yes but you don't get the full picture most of the time.

Russians do generate top talent so I guess there is some level of trust there with word of mouth and some video watching.
Agreed. That's why I mentioned they have access to all other info that we (the fans) don't, via agent, other contacts. He will also be interviewed at some point before the draft.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not really. You can still get a great forward Catton/Iginla/Sennecke.

I want one of:
Celebrini
Demidov
Iggy
Eiserman

If it was up to me, I'm walking away with one of these guys. Unless, we end up trading Guhle for Zegras and we draft another D with our pick. What a shift that would be eh?

Not saying we should trade Guhle for Zegras. Just wondering what the options Hughes might be considering.

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
First time watching a draft lottery, So the reveal for the #1 pick is the before last reveal? That means we have to wait all that time to hear Montréal #1.

I was planning on opening the stream, watching the first 30 seconds and then going back to my life after hearing “the first overall pick goes to... The Montréal Canadiens. ”

The excitement (or letdown) starts when instead of your team picking in its spot it’s another team there e.g. you won either #1 or #2

Reactions: Leto

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Another day of disappointment ?
I'll only be disappointed if we end up picking 7th. 6th is what is expected. I'll be ecstatic with 1 through 5th.

What I was disappointed with was our tanking strategy throughout the year. So to come away with a top 5 pick this year after such a bad tanking strategy would be great.

Reactions: habsfan891

jrom

Mar 28, 2022

It was mentionned recently that Habs scouts got the chance to watch some Demidov games this year (Athletic article I think).

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Let's go !!!

We have 8.5% chances of winning the 1st overall pick.
Time for the Habs to finally have luck on their side.

Reactions: Gustave

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Then trade up. Why make it so dramatic if we drop to 7th overall. It's like we will miss out on the greatest talent ever. The 2-12 players are all interchangeable anyway.

You can do both, trade down + trade up to get two picks between 12-15.
In your mind maybe, I guarantee that no team feels like that. While they may prefer different players, no GM thinks they are interchangeable.

• Love
Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Let's go !!!

We have 8.5% chances of winning the 1st overall pick.
Time for the Habs to finally have luck on their side.

- We were lucky when we stayed at 1st to draft Slafkovsky (there was only like a 25% chance of doing so).

- we were lucky to stay at 5 last year, we had a less than 50% chance of doing so.

- we were lucky in the KK draft to win one of the top 3 picks in the lottery.

- we were lucky in the Price draft after the lockout and get that top 5 pick.

We've actually been on the luckier side of things with the lottery. Our scouts in the KK and Galchenyuk drafts just failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad