Post-Game Talk: That's 10 down.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I really don't think Knoblauch is ready, and he's proven nothing so far. It's too risky to go to another mild mannered, boring, rookie coach, even if he actually can be a good one in a few years. I think the best play is to get an interim guy in there who won't actively sabotage the team, especially the youths, and then see what shakes loose in the spring if a respectable coach gets canned. But any interim would get closely instructed by Hextall on how to manage the roster presumably, and that's not comforting either given how likeminded he is with Hakstol.
Yeah... not going to trust a PP coach who is currently using Lehtera and not using Sanheim. I have no idea what he's done to earn some peoples confidence.

The comments and optimism about him sound a lot like the comments from the thread when Hakstol was hired (which Hextall is apparently an idiot for hiring in the first place, since he should have known from the start that Hakstol was the devil?).

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
Man, TK more than anyone really needs a good coaching staff and the right teammates around him. Guy is so skilled, but is too much of a solo act and makes all sorts of mistakes with the puck. But the hustle is clearly there.

The idea of this weak staff in charge of his development for the next 2, 3, 4 years is utterly depressing.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
What I don’t think hakstol gets is when you leave wiese, Lehtera and manning in then they are likely to get open a few times a game and get the puck on occasion. They will screw they chance up where a player who has skills like a few in the ahl will have a better chance. Manning and wiese has several chances that should have gone to someone else. Same thing with VDV and PEB last year.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
36 fn seconds for 'neck. jesus.

I had to leave to go to work after it was 2-0.

I'm glad I didn't see the 3rd. I am beyond frustrated like many on here.

The fundamentals for a make up of this type of team have been lost. We have speed on all lines, why not use that to crash and bang the net. I'd like to see 3 games where the D NEVER pinch and if they do get the puck to fire it back into the corner.

The D and how Hak wants them to play - are chasing the game/puck ALL the time.

Stop with the 'rat' up top on the PK, the set up is garbage (Lappy has to go, his scheme is crap and has been for too fn long). The shape is brutal, set up in a box or a triangle and move the players around like a zone D in bball - as most good PKs are utilized.

For F sakes;

Morin is needed to clear the crease (esp if we continue to 'grow' and not win anything, give him the exposure needed to develop more at the NHL game by putting him in the games - at least give him that) and play the tough situation minutes. Too easy in our zone with the makeup of our current D corps.

Leier and Lindblom on the ice please - been saying it for too long. They can CREATE chances. Sit the Wiese and Lethera combo.

the past 3 games, i've seen too many players coast to a puck in the corner or on a player stick. Go get it. SKATE.

- old man yelling into the void

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Watching Zetterberg and Wings coach sure a different reaction then our guys.

Again I woke up this am I thought for sure he'd be gone,,,,

Reactions: Rebels57

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Hextall being fired would be a big mistake.

It's still amazing that people take his answers to the media seriously.

I'm astounded every time I come here and see people go "HEXY NEEDS TO BE FIRED FOR THIS TOO!"

It's so short-sighted...I'm astounded!

Reactions: Danko

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Columbus is only a couple goals away from being 12th in goals for....and their PP is putrid. Says how well they do at 5v5, where they are the third best scoring team in the league. As of the last time I checked, CBJ were right at the top in expected goals for % too. Their process is ultra sound, even if Bob helps a lot. That skater roster isn’t even that good, especially at center, which is really meh. I don’t see any sizable gap between their lineup and ours in talent. But they play good hockey. If they right their PP, they’re cooking.

I am just not a fan of Torts. After one of their most recent wins a reporter asked him about it and he said. “i dont know what that was”.
What a guy

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
What's your blood type?

B+.

You're being irrational. You're not objectively looking at the bad things Hextall has done. I've said it before and I'll say it again he's an ok/decent GM. He's smart about a few things and dumb about others (Hakstol, keeping Ian LaPerriere around, etc.). I'm not saying it couldn't be worse but it could also be better. I don't know why some of you refuse to acknowledge this isn't an all or nothing situation.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
B+.

You're being irrational. You're not objectively looking at the bad things Hextall has done. I've said it before and I'll say it again he's an ok/decent GM. He's smart about a few things and dumb about others (Hakstol, keeping Ian LaPerriere around, etc.). I'm not saying it couldn't be worse but it could also be better. I don't know why some of you refuse to acknowledge this isn't an all or nothing situation.

Make a pros/cons chart of Hexy's moves as a GM and you'll corner yourself real quick in this debate.

What are you talking about? "this isn't an all or nothing situation"? Are you saying everyone needs to be fired or no one?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I mean this team has been pretty bad going back to December last year record wise. The underlying numbers aren’t anything great. Then you add in that Hakstol hasn’t done **** in his career to get that type of pass & here we are. That’s just complaints on a surface level. There’s more complex arguments as to why he’s unfit for the job at this point.

I don’t think he’s holding back a dynasty here but this team isn’t that bad. He certainly offers zero solutions to the problems at best.

I have seen one systemic adjustment. Moving the centers from behind the net on forecheck to out in front again.

That isn't enough. And as of now it's hard to envision a minor adjustment that will fix the deficiencies in their playstyle in the NHL.

Expecting a radical change midseasom is probably hopeless

Reactions: Rebels57

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Make a pros/cons chart of Hexy's moves as a GM and you'll corner yourself real quick in this debate.

What are you talking about? "this isn't an all or nothing situation"? Are you saying everyone needs to be fired or no one?

I've already made a couple of posts about his pros and cons.

In response to : What are you talking about? "this isn't an all or nothing situation"? You refuse to acknowledge Hextall's mistakes as poor decisions and write them off as minor mistakes. His poor decision making process is a reflection of the mental processes that are going through his head when making decisions. Example A: Hires a coach for young players but doesn't want a really young team and the coach is poor at communicating with young players. I.E. A very poor decision and poor thought process. Never mind the fact that he was his son's coach, which has bad decision written all over it.

I don't know how old you are but it is kinda like those people who are continual f***-ups in real life. Those people aren't there because of poor minor mistakes time and time again, there are were they are because they make poor decisions because of the in-ability to critically think things through.

I love the nonsense that we shouldn't be analyzing a GM for his mistakes after the fact. That's the only way to accurately judge someone. No one gets written in the NHL hall of fame before their career starts. Sheesh I didn't know this was that hard.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I've already made a couple of posts about his pros and cons.

In response to : What are you talking about? "this isn't an all or nothing situation"? You refuse to acknowledge Hextall's mistakes as poor decisions and write them off as minor mistakes. His poor decision making process is a reflection of the mental processes that are going through his head when making decisions. Example A: Hires a coach for young players but doesn't want a really young team and the coach is poor at communicating with young players. I.E. A very poor decision and poor thought process. Never mind the fact that he was his son's coach, which has bad decision written all over it.

I don't know how old you are but it is kinda like those people who are continual ****-ups in real life. Those people aren't there because of poor minor mistakes time and time again, there are were they are because they make poor decisions because of the in-ability to critically think things through.

I love the nonsense that we shouldn't be analyzing a GM for his mistakes after the fact. That's the only way to accurately judge someone. No one gets written in the NHL hall of fame before their career starts. Sheesh I didn't know this was that hard.

His mistakes have been minor. Saying he doesn't want a young team is a flat out lie. There's no evidence other than him saying he doesn't want all rookies at one time. Having an all 1 or 2 year experienced team is just stupid -- veterans are necessary and even bum vets are on every team.

Are you saying Hakstol was hired because he coached Hextall's kid? Because that is delusional if so. Even if you're not, even bringing it up is to incriminate him for it -- showing your agenda and vendetta against Hextall. Hakstol blows, you're totally right. But some coaches blow and stick around for longer than fans want all the time. Thank God Hextall is patient unlike everyone in this fan base. If it were up to y'all, we would Voracek for trash just to bring up Lindblom.

I'm 27. I have a Master's Degree and a terrific job of many years. What are you talking about? Who are "those people" and what poor mistakes did what to them? I have no idea who you're talking about.

You can analyze the GM for his mistakes, but if your critical thinking brought you to a solution that Hextall hates playing kids and should be fired, then you're never someone I want to do my analyzing. Again: Hextalls pros far outweigh any cons you have. Your problem with him not calling up this kid or that kid is magnified by our losing streak. If we were winning 10 (while playing the same players) instead of losing 10 then I don't think you'd be saying this "Hexy needs to be legitimately assessed to be fired" type stuff.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
His mistakes have been minor. Saying he doesn't want a young team is a flat out lie. There's no evidence other than him saying he doesn't want all rookies at one time. Having an all 1 or 2 year experienced team is just stupid -- veterans are necessary and even bum vets are on every team.

Are you saying Hakstol was hired because he coached Hextall's kid? Because that is delusional if so. Even if you're not, even bringing it up is to incriminate him for it -- showing your agenda and vendetta against Hextall. Hakstol blows, you're totally right. But some coaches blow and stick around for longer than fans want all the time. Thank God Hextall is patient unlike everyone in this fan base. If it were up to y'all, we would Voracek for trash just to bring up Lindblom.

I'm 27. I have a Master's Degree and a terrific job of many years. What are you talking about? Who are "those people" and what poor mistakes did what to them? I have no idea who you're talking about.

You can analyze the GM for his mistakes, but if your critical thinking brought you to a solution that Hextall hates playing kids and should be fired, then you're never someone I want to do my analyzing. Again: Hextalls pros far outweigh any cons you have. Your problem with him not calling up this kid or that kid is magnified by our losing streak. If we were winning 10 (while playing the same players) instead of losing 10 then I don't think you'd be saying this "Hexy needs to be legitimately assessed to be fired" type stuff.

All his mistakes aren't minor. This team wouldn't be at the bottom of the league if that was so. Hextall put this team in the position to use a young defense and continually said to get ready for it. He obviously doesn't feel comfortable about it and made no effort to shore this up if he felt so uncomfortable with it.

Hextall definitely had some bias in hiring Hakstol. Hiring previous son's coaches is poor judgment and shows he needs to do a better job of removing emotion out of his decision making. His son even played for the Phantoms for crying out loud.
Flyers GM Ron Hextall has history of hiring his son's coaches

See here you go again with your hyperbola. Who in their right mind would trash Voracek for Lindblom? In any regards one is a LWer and the other a RWer. I don't have a vendetta against Hextall I've said time and time again he is a decent GM but not this godsend like you this he is.

As far as what this goes : I'm 27. I have a Master's Degree and a terrific job of many years. What are you talking about? Who are "those people" and what poor mistakes did what to them? I have no idea who you're talking about.

I'm talking about the decision making process and how one goes about it, why is this hard to follow?

Where did I mention that he should be fired or hates playing kids? Stop drumming this stuff out of left field. My problem with Hextall is his questionable decision making at times.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Hakstol would not have been hired had he not coached Brett Hextall. Hes only the 2nd coach in like 40 years to go from college to the NHL, he coached Brett Hextall, and you think thats a coincidence? Its not the ONLY reason but I dont think Hak would even be on Hextalls radar had he not coached Brett.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'm sure it's absolutely a coincidence that VDV was Brett's teammate for two years and he was signed with the organization in 2013 after Hextall had arrived.

I wonder what other decisions Brett is behind?

Is he really the Shadow GM? lol

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada

Haks was absolutely hired because he coached Hexys kid...

his kid totaly sold the oldman on him..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad