Thank You Toby Enstrom!

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Thank you for your service, Toby. Wish you all the best.

I was never a big Enstrom fan. As soon as we signed him to that big number contract, his offensive production started to drop off. He was pretty mediocre to bad during our two playoff appearances, although supposedly he was hurt during the first one.

But he had a good NHL career. Go Toby Go!

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Nothing but respect for Toby Enstrom. If he's played his last game as a Jet then I hope him well in wherever he winds up.

That being said I both understand, but don't understand, him getting upset about not playing in game five. I mean I know he's a competitive hockey player, a super important game, he wants to play. But the Jets had lost 3 straight against Vegas. Maurice had to try something to get a win.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Toby's wife has basically said a goodbye to Winnipeg on Instagram. It's safe to say Toby's time is done here. He has been a great Jet through out his time here despite so many criticizers. Thank you Toby.

I tracked down the post: it reads:

And suddenly the season had ended. A big thank you to the team, the organization, the fans and everybody else who in some way helped us feel more than welcome here in Winnipeg. There is so many people and so many things I will miss! #nhljets

While that could be seen as a "good bye forever", it equally reads as "good bye for the summer".

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
Godspeed Tobias. I wasn't your biggest fan but you gave the Jets many years of committed service and comported yourself well during your career.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Nothing but respect for Toby Enstrom. If he's played his last game as a Jet then I hope him well in wherever he winds up.

That being said I both understand, but don't understand, him getting upset about not playing in game five. I mean I know he's a competitive hockey player, a super important game, he wants to play. But the Jets had lost 3 straight against Vegas. Maurice had to try something to get a win.

yes I just heard the story on the radio that he was apparently not pleased at being sat in what was likely his last game. It was also mentioned that he had been playing through a bad rib injury. I can see both sides of the issue really. From the team perspective, they can't be concerned with hurt feelings. Desperate times, desperate measures and all that. I mean I understand Enstrom being kinda pissed, but for him to leave in a huff seems a bit much...

I also have an issue with this whole "playing through injuries" thing. I like Enstrom, and think he was a better D man than maybe he gets credited for...but, I have a hard time believing he's a good enough player that he can play with a rib injury and still do much. I mean even fully healthy the guy is getting destroyed on a regular basis.

Reactions: Robinson2187

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
That tweet certainly does have more of the tone of a 'goodbye forever', rather than a 'goodbye for 4 months'. He could play in the Swedish league which would involve much less travel, only a 52 game season, and a shorter playoff season as well. Less wear and tear. He'd be making a fraction of the money, but finishing your career by playing back in your home country isn't exactly bad! Good luck to him.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Best of luck to Toby! Thanks for your many years of service!

The writing was really on the wall with all of the things he's going through with his family. Best to be as close to them as possible. He can still carve out a career in Sweden. No shame in that whatsoever!

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I also have an issue with this whole "playing through injuries" thing. I like Enstrom, and think he was a better D man than maybe he gets credited for...but, I have a hard time believing he's a good enough player that he can play with a rib injury and still do much. I mean even fully healthy the guy is getting destroyed on a regular basis.

Oddly enough, Maurice says he was not playing through the playoffs with broken ribs.....hmmm.....

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
Maurice is an absolute clown for sitting him game 5. Not only was it likely his last game as a jet and an NHL player, but he’s way better than f***ing morrow and kulikov so it may have cost us the series.

Classless move but more than anything else a really stupid move. Classic Paul

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Maurice is an absolute clown for sitting him game 5. Not only was it likely his last game as a jet and an NHL player, but he’s way better than ****ing morrow and kulikov so it may have cost us the series.

They didnt think it was the last game they were trying to win it. This board just loves pooping on the coach.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Maurice is an absolute clown for sitting him game 5. Not only was it likely his last game as a jet and an NHL player, but he’s way better than ****ing morrow and kulikov so it may have cost us the series.

I'm not sure about taking out Enstrom for Kuli myself. I suppose if Enstrom was actually dealing with injured ribs then Kuli might have been a better option assuming he's healthy. However, I think I'd have been inclined to go with Enstrom, and put Kuli in in place of Chiapet over Morrow...

Reactions: Ducky10

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Thank you Toby.....you gave me the ultimate gift of being able to figure out who the stupid hockey fans were much faster.

Atlanta might have got your best two seasons but we got some really good ones here too, obviously injuries and father time were catching up to you but all the best to you!!

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
Enstrom was a #1 in 2010-2012
Then #2 in 2013
#3 in 2014
#4 in 2015
#5 in 2016
#6 in 2017

C'est la vie. Years of loyal service and did well under the circumstances but hes made 40 million in the process so I'm not going to shed a tear.

Reactions: Monkey D Luffy

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Guy was elite for a while there, I guess injuries caught up to him? Was a damn fine babysitter the whole way though.

The Ugly Truth

May 23, 2018
W.
T.
F.

Did Enström or the Jets just announce that Enström was leaving? No.

While he may very well be leaving the team, until it's official this thread is entirely inappropriate and should be locked.

Reactions: kylbaz and Morrison

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
One thing no athlete can win against: father time. Toby was elite in his peak and has been declining for the last few seasons noticeably. Being 5'9 and playing defense in the NHL is no easy task. He got by with excellent positioning, quick feet and top notch vision for the break out pass. His quick feet have been not so quick, especially this year. Injuries, etc.

Good player, I hope Niku can come in and fill his (tiny) shoes.

Reactions: Ducky10

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
W.
T.
F.

Did Enström or the Jets just announce that Enström was leaving? No.

While he may very well be leaving the team, until it's official this thread is entirely inappropriate and should be locked.

Just have to put two and two together to figure out that he won't be back next year.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Yes, why do you think he will go back to Sweden??? ;-) Toby is definitely good enough for many NHL teams except perhaps the Jets under Maurice, especially if given time healing his injuries.

I still wouldn't be surprised if he went back to Sweden though... ;-) he isn't a single man any longer.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad