Oct 20, 2015
On an island
My personal tiers:

Tier 1: Cooper, Brind'amour, Sullivan,
Tier 2: Berube, Gallant,
Tier 3: Evanson, Woodcroft, Julien
Tier 4: Gruden, Carle, ect.

Wildcard: Quennville

If we get a tier 1, that's fantastic, Tier 2 and 3 are close in my mind but I have a distinct preference. Tier 4 would leave me disappointed, but recognizing there is still potential there. Quennville I'd stay away from even if he was reinstated, he may very well be the best coach among them, but this team doesn't need more distractions, and he'd be a big one.

It would be a one day story where they talk about Quenneville coming back after facing some "adversity" followed by a few stories about his comeback and legendary status. Incident was years ago and he wasn't in any way the main instigator or involved party.

It would hardly create any distraction.

Reactions: LiseL

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
They are hiring a staff. Not just a coach. Does the new coach pick the staff, is he given one or a list to pick from? Does his choice of assistants change how the interview goes? Are they ok with having JM there? New coach is the biggest thing on this teams agenda. Saying I want this guy or that isn't the whole picture. If you get Julien, then maybe the next coach is part of the staff. Or a young coach and Julien is part of the staff. Management has said it's about long term. This would apply to the coaches too, not just the roster no?

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
I would love for anyone who knows, or people that want to take a stab at it to explain Berube’s style of coaching.

Stuff like “gets buy in” “makes them work” “wants them to forecheck hard” “accountability” while “also wants them to stay on the right side of the puck” and “when you take care of your own end the offence will take care of itself” is super swell it tells us literally nothing about what strategies he deploys.
How does a Craig Berube team play?

1-2-2 ?
2-1-2?
5-0?!

coaching so so weird to evaluate…
Was DJ just bad at explaining? Is Berube good at that?
They all say exactly the same shit, they all work hard, the all want to win.
Is it simply track record?

Without knowing anything really about his coaching I’m going to guess:

Wants his teams to work hard every shift, play heavy hockey, get in hard on the forecheck but stay disciplined.
He expects his players to earn their icetime regardless of who they are, and also expects his best players to be his best players.
We have a lot offensively talented guys, but you can’t win anything in this league without taking care of your own end, and staying on the right side of the puck - do that, outwork the other team and you give yourself a chance to win every night.
* also if we get good goaltending we will be much better.

* this part is never said out loud.

Anyway anyone with any other more a nuanced look at what berube brings to the table would be a delight. I looked for quite awhile but didn’t find anything - seems like a good dude though.

It’ll be funny to read these 2 years from now if we do hire him…

Reactions: DrEasy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I have a feeling if Toronto loses in the first round, they will fire their coach and Pittsburgh will hire him. Then the leafs will get Berube and we end up with someone we dont want because that's how we roll.

Also, this site sucks on mobile. Especially typing. Freaking non-stop ads
Weren't you a mod, you don't have the lifetime ad free style available?

Reactions: Bileur

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
I would love for anyone who knows, or people that want to take a stab at it to explain Berube’s style of coaching.

Stuff like “gets buy in” “makes them work” “wants them to forecheck hard” “accountability” while “also wants them to stay on the right side of the puck” and “when you take care of your own end the offence will take care of itself” is super swell it tells us literally nothing about what strategies he deploys.
How does a Craig Berube team play?

1-2-2 ?
2-1-2?
5-0?!

coaching so so weird to evaluate…
Was DJ just bad at explaining? Is Berube good at that?
They all say exactly the same shit, they all work hard, the all want to win.
Is it simply track record?

Without knowing anything really about his coaching I’m going to guess:

Wants his teams to work hard every shift, play heavy hockey, get in hard on the forecheck but stay disciplined.
He expects his players to earn their icetime regardless of who they are, and also expects his best players to be his best players.
We have a lot offensively talented guys, but you can’t win anything in this league without taking care of your own end, and staying on the right side of the puck - do that, outwork the other team and you give yourself a chance to win every night.
* also if we get good goaltending we will be much better.

* this part is never said out loud.

Anyway anyone with any other more a nuanced look at what berube brings to the table would be a delight. I looked for quite awhile but didn’t find anything - seems like a good dude though.

It’ll be funny to read these 2 years from now if we do hire him…

Haven't extensively watched to comment on specific strategies Berube uses, but like everything results are your common denominator. When comparing DJ to Berube, you can quickly see by win% how one is much better than the other.

The Blues soured on him, but you can't really blame their implosion on Berube. After their Cup win the team let go of their veteran leaders (Tarasenko, Pietrangelo) and lost key top-6 players in ROR, Perron and Schwartz. Their window was effectively shut. They are in a weird place right now where they will retool and compete perpetually as a bubble-team.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I have a feeling if Toronto loses in the first round, they will fire their coach and Pittsburgh will hire him. Then the leafs will get Berube and we end up with someone we dont want because that's how we roll.

Also, this site sucks on mobile. Especially typing. Freaking non-stop ads
I don’t get any ads. Using brave browser.

Reddit

lang006

Jan 2, 2020
In my opinion Mike Sullivan would be a horrible hire. The guy had four future hall of famers plus Jake Guentzel for most of the season and still managed to ice one of the very worst power plays in the league. That's gotta be coaching.
We would be beyond lucky if we end up with a coach as good as Mike Sullivan. His message has worn stale now in Pittsburgh but he has had one heck of a good run with that core of players. The core is aged now and the team needs a rebuild in a bad way. There’s a a reason he hasn’t been fired yet as he still gets a lot out of that group considering how terrible the roster has become. Dubas has his work cut out for him. That pipeline is pretty weak and has been for a while.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Soooo apparently reddits sayin when Bruce Cassidy got fired , he asked Dorion what's up with OTT coaching situation & mentioned he "wants to come home" and Dorion told him Djs our guys ....

Then Vegas scooped him up

Broooooo like wtf
Realistically, there's no chance he would have had the financial backing to hire him anyways. Cassidy isn't in the clearance section.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Realistically, there's no chance he would have had the financial backing to hire him anyways. Cassidy isn't in the clearance section.
For sure.

Cassidy is making 4.5M and we know what Melnyk thought about paying that kind of coin to a coach...

"Does he walk on water? I mean, $5 million bucks? Sometimes the markets get silly.
Why go crazy in the business of hockey to do that? And I don't think it can make that much of a difference. I really don't. If I thought it did, so what do you do? You trade out a $5 million dollar player? You want to do that?
Those are direct quotes.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
For sure.

Cassidy is making 4.5M and we know what Melnyk thought about paying that kind of coin to a coach...

Those are direct quotes.
Yup. If one thing was made clear, it was that our hiring pool was from the low end only.

Seemed to apply to a few departments under his watch lol.

Reactions: DrEasy

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
Berube or Gallant wood be great. I'd love Brind'Amour but also figure he hasn't actually accomplished anything with Carolina yet, and if he's available this offseason I imagine it's because they still haven't made an impact in the playoffs.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Berube or Gallant wood be great. I'd love Brind'Amour but also figure he hasn't actually accomplished anything with Carolina yet, and if he's available this offseason I imagine it's because they still haven't made an impact in the playoffs.
Brind'Amour has an incredible track record and I see no chance that he gets fired this year. The east has been stacked and he gets as much as any coach could out of his roster.

Hes one of the safest coaches in the NHL imo when you consider the history he has with the franchise.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Soooo apparently reddits sayin when Bruce Cassidy got fired , he asked Dorion what's up with OTT coaching situation & mentioned he "wants to come home" and Dorion told him Djs our guys ....

Broooooo like wtf

Yeah - So he could Bruce Boudreau Dorion and get more money by using Ottawa as leverage

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

I head Brind Amour is signed he just won’t actually sign his contract yet because his assistant didn’t get the raises they wanted and are still negotiating

That’s culture and why Brind Amour is a winner

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Broooooo like wtf
You can read a lot of BS on Reddit, but I’m sure you are aware of that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad