Thank You Toby Enstrom!

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
I went from a Toby detractor to a Toby defender to just happy to see the contract off the books.

His game was deteriorating with age and by all accounts he was never the player in Winnipeg that he was in Atlanta.

Wish he would have done more interviews.

Went to post how much Toby meant to the Jets in a playoff GDT when he skated to the bench for the ill fated line change. Changed the post to simply read “deleted.”

Was a valuable player but this looks for all intents and purposes to be the end of the line in Winnipeg.

Thanks for your service. Good luck in the future and thanks for waiving your NMC when the Jets needed it most.

ulf

Sep 21, 2002
sandy hook
Visit site
So long Toby. Take care of your family and let us know if ever we can return the favor you did your team at the expansion draft. Thx for helping Buff..you were worth every penny.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Toby's wife has basically said a goodbye to Winnipeg on Instagram. It's safe to say Toby's time is done here. He has been a great Jet through out his time here despite so many criticizers. Thank you Toby.

Looked at her Instagram. Not the words of someone who’s coming back.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011

Toby among the league D-men 400 minutes played this past regular season:

4th in corsi against/60
5th in fewnwick against/60
4th in shots against/60
12th in goals against/60
1st in scoring chances against/60
1st in high danger chances against/60

He is probably the best shutdown defenseman in the league. Yes he will get a job.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Scoreless and a minus in 2 playoff series.

I'm sorry but a guy on a team with pinching physical defensemen, will not miss him. His speed is falling off, passing is not as crisp. Never been physical. Swedish Elite League is where he belongs. Good mentor for the young Europeans, quality person by all accounts. But Morrissey is the key to defensive success. Niku and Stanley are the next wave. Morrow fits our coaches strategy. Like all Jets before him, from Ron Hainsey, Kyle Wellwood, Mark Stuart, Thorburn, even Pavelec, thanks for the memories.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Toby had a damn good run here. I do feel bad for him getting scratched in the last one. He bumped his effort up a notch in the playoffs. You can tell the Thrasher guys who put in so much over the years wanted this very badly.

If he is in fact not back, au revoir good sir. We appreciate what you did for us.

Reactions: Hobby Bull
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
he never delivered a hit in his career.

You're off by 166...

Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 11.22.46 PM.png

Last edited:

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

4th in corsi against/60
4th in shots against/60
12th in goals against/60

He is probably the best shutdown defenseman in the league. Yes he will get a job.

Sadly people pay about as much attention to this as they do to Enstrom's play.

I'm not sure I've encountered a player with so many preconceived notions about him. Baffling.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Guess my idea of signing him to a cheap one year deal as a bottom pairing D is out the window now? I was hoping both sides would agree to that but now he's unhappy with a scratch. Is he retiring then?

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Probably old news but seems as him leaving Winnipeg before the locker clearout was because he was mad at Maurice for sitting him in game 5 (which I think was the right thing to do, they needed energy): Defenceman Toby Enstrom likely done in Winnipeg

Enstrom is a pro. I doubt he had issues with the game 5 benching. Maybe I'm wrong, just a gut feeling.

I'd suggest it was his exit interview with management that had him leave without speaking to the media or cleaning out his locker.

Was likely told that he's not in the teams future next year & bolted out the door.

Pure speculation, but a better explanation for his actions.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Scoreless and a minus in 2 playoff series.

I'm sorry but a guy on a team with pinching physical defensemen, will not miss him. His speed is falling off, passing is not as crisp. Never been physical. Swedish Elite League is where he belongs. Good mentor for the young Europeans, quality person by all accounts. But Morrissey is the key to defensive success. Niku and Stanley are the next wave. Morrow fits our coaches strategy. Like all Jets before him, from Ron Hainsey, Kyle Wellwood, Mark Stuart, Thorburn, even Pavelec, thanks for the memories.

So clueless. It’s like people intentionally ignore facts and just throw out some lazy narrative that isn’t even true. Like fake news.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
People calling him a pro while he leaves Winnipeg before locker room cleanout. I am trying to square those two things? Sounds like a lack of professionalism to me. Also, I remember that last time we were in the post season and he sucked, the mysterious injury card was played too. Now it makes me wonder if that was all BS back in 2015 as well.

Anyway, wish him all the best on his future. He did well money wise with/from the Jets. Go enjoy life with your family.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
We have replacements way cheaper and will need this money for resigning others. I admired his heart and attitude but did not like his hockey style.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
The offense with Enstrom is more than dry, but Jets GA numbers will miss Toby next year *if* he doesn’t return.

He was the Jets best defender in preventing the other team’s offense. That’s a pretty good and important thing. Jets don't have much in defensive drivers although both Morrissey and Trouba are learning.

It’s no secret I’m a big fan of Niku, but he’ll be an offensively tilted rookie defender if he makes the team. I also don’t see any of Kulikov, Morrow, or Chiarot being anything but a large step backward from Toby.

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
People calling him a pro while he leaves Winnipeg before locker room cleanout. I am trying to square those two things? Sounds like a lack of professionalism to me. Also, I remember that last time we were in the post season and he sucked, the mysterious injury card was played too. Now it makes me wonder if that was all BS back in 2015 as well.

Anyway, wish him all the best on his future. He did well money wise with/from the Jets. Go enjoy life with your family.
Hes never talked a lot for the media. I do agree, if it is your last time in WPG when there it seems like there was a strong reciprocal relationship (ie: Enstrom waiving his clause, team granting him time to go to Sweden), Id atleast acknowledge some of that, could have bode well for future players who are pondering to sign w/ WPG.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013

4th in corsi against/60
4th in shots against/60
12th in goals against/60

Hey Garret, would you mind posting Dustin Byfuglien's chart as well? Really curious to see what it looks like. Thanks!

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

How is it a "lack of professionalism"? He did his exit meetings with the coach and GM like he was supposed to, cleaned out his locker and just left early without doing interviews. You are not required to do an interview with the media on the locker cleanout day. Many Jets did not do them (Buff, Connor, Chiarot come to mind). Toby is generally media shy and if he was not going to do an interview, it sounds reasonable to book an early flight to Sweden.

People just looking for controversy when there is none. Nothing to see here folks!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->