Toronto FC: TFC Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeeIs

....--....
Mar 17, 2004
T.O.
Ghana has a chance to advance if they beat Portugal. Highly unlikely they forfeit the chance to advance just over a silly bonus dispute that could be settled later.

I really hope they go through. They were my top African team and was disappointed they lost to the US. They gave Germany a great run. If they can take on portugal and Germany defeats the US. IT would be amazing.

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
portugal is not moving on
am sorry, just take it in

it's time for the Americans to rule like they have since WW2

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
it doesnt matter if he gets booted from the tourney, the non-call kept Italy from advancing ...if he was Red carded like he should have been, 10 aside would not have resulted in Uruguay's goal

All teams get bad or missed calls, its part of the game, and credibility also comes into play. Chiellini doesn't get the benefit of the doubt since he is one of the worst fakers and whiners in all of football. Besides, it would have made no difference with the goal scoring header and how that went down.

The real reason Italy lost is because they scored zero goals in two games where all they had to do was tie. They just weren't good enough.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
All teams get bad or missed calls, its part of the game, and credibility also comes into play. Chiellini doesn't get the benefit of the doubt since he is one of the worst fakers and whiners in all of football. Besides, it would have made no difference with the goal scoring header and how that went down.

The real reason Italy lost is because they scored zero goals in two games where all they had to do was tie. They just weren't good enough.

While this is true, that game was complete BS. The red card call was absolutely terrible, and the non call on an actual incident is just salt in the wound. No one should be saying they lost because of the call/non call (respectively), but it's also pretty unfair to say that those two incidents don't have a major impact on the game. In this case, Italy had to give up attacking time and defend, because one poorly committed attack will lead to being ill prepared to defend and can blow the game. In the end, Italy should have been able to beat Costa Rica and this game should have been null, their loss. (But seriously, how can a reff ignore clear as day bite marks on a players back/neck area?)

This cup has been awful IMO, reffing is extremely weak and south American bias is all but too obvious. These are the things that make soccer a huge joke to many north americans, the refs have to much influence on these games.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004

Italy had total control of the game when they were even (players) ...can you even for a second really think they would not have had ball control if Suarez was Red Carded?

the second the sides even up, Italy would have went back into possession mode, and the game, and tourney would have been over for Uruguay.

Italy unfortunately doesnt have any quality strikers at the moment (save Balotelli who wasnt doing much and was already on a Yellow)

As for Italy being divers ...have you watched any other team play? Naymar thinks he's Superman he try to fly so much ...all of Spain swim more than they run ...heck, even Germany's Müller went for a swim causing the Pepe headbut (he wasnt holding his face and jumped up pretty fast after that) ...my German friends were in shock and embarrassed at his insulting display.

Every team dives, and it's the worst thing in the sport, but, in this tourney, Italy did it far less than most other Countries, and i've watched almost every game (missed 2 games only so far).

the way things are lining up right now (unless the USA throws a wrench into the standings), I'm thinking a Germany vs Mexico/Netherlands final (Mexico over Netherlands right now too... dont think Netherlands or Argentina has a good enough defense to make the finals)

Last edited:

enixer

Mar 26, 2011
Italy had 100% control of the game when they were even (players) ...can you even for a second really think they would have had ball control if Suarez was Red Carded?

the second the sides even up, Italy would have went back into possession mode, and the game, and tourney would have been over for Uruguay.

Italy unfortunately doesnt have any quality strikers at the moment (save Balotelli who wasnt doing much and was already on a Yellow)

As for Italy being divers ...have you watched any other team play? Naymar thinks he's Superman he try to fly so much ...all of Spain swim more than they run ...heck, even Germany's Müller went for a swim causing the Pepe headbut (he wasnt holding his face and jumped up pretty fast after that) ...my German friends were in shock and embarrassed at his insulting display.

Every team dives, and it's the worst thing in the sport, but, in this tourney, Italy did it far less than most other Countries, and i've watched almost every game (missed 2 games only so far).

the way things are lining up right now (unless the USA throws a wrench into the standings), I'm thinking a Germany vs Mexico/Netherlands final (Mexico over Netherlands right now too... dont think Netherlands or Argentina has a good enough defense to make the finals)

Exactly, Italy had control of this game until Marchisio was sent off. Can't know for sure if Uruguay wouldn't have scored even with 10 on 10, but that goal absolutely happened because the ref didn't send Suarez off, Chiellini was likely off his game at that point, etc.

I'm actually pretty optimistic about the future. Immobile had a fantastic year and can only get better at the international level with more experience. El Shaarawy still has a lot of potential, I'm sure he would've been there if he hadn't been injured this year. And Balotelli will continue to improve, hopefully. The one concern I have about Balotelli is the criticism in Italy from every ignorant, racist piece of garbage. Without Prandelli, we might not see Balotelli back.

The diving comments are clearly from people who haven't been watching games and just like repeating the same things over and over again.

I don't trust the refs at all in this tournament, so I have no idea who will make it. Definitely should be Germany vs. Netherlands, will likely be Brazil vs. Argentina with the refs awarding one or two penalties to Brazil in the final.

Hounsy

Dec 28, 2003
A wonderful location
Visit site
Can't see how the Ref is at fault for what happened to Italy. The red card he called happened on the ball ten feet in front of him and the one he missed was off the ball and took a few slow motion replays to see. Anyway hope Bitey Mcbites a Lot gets the boot from the tournament plus more, that was shameful.

Feenom

Jan 15, 2003
Spliffton
Visit site
The way the officiating is going I fear that (as Croatia said) the Cup is already Brazil's to lose. Brazil is very beatable but whoever plays them has to face the crowd and worse...the ref.

Btw, I wouldn't be surprised if Nigeria beats Argentina.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Exactly, Italy had control of this game until Marchisio was sent off. Can't know for sure if Uruguay wouldn't have scored even with 10 on 10, but that goal absolutely happened because the ref didn't send Suarez off, Chiellini was likely off his game at that point, etc.

I'm actually pretty optimistic about the future. Immobile had a fantastic year and can only get better at the international level with more experience. El Shaarawy still has a lot of potential, I'm sure he would've been there if he hadn't been injured this year. And Balotelli will continue to improve, hopefully. The one concern I have about Balotelli is the criticism in Italy from every ignorant, racist piece of garbage. Without Prandelli, we might not see Balotelli back.

The diving comments are clearly from people who haven't been watching games and just like repeating the same things over and over again.

I don't trust the refs at all in this tournament, so I have no idea who will make it. Definitely should be Germany vs. Netherlands, will likely be Brazil vs. Argentina with the refs awarding one or two penalties to Brazil in the final.

Balotelli has become to famous to be ignored ...Rossi if he was fit could have been a force, but, he wasnt, and may never regain his form.
...i just hope the next coach finally pushes the Attack (like Germany/Netherlands) because i'm really tired of watching Italy break the most passes in a game record, and then have almost no shots on net.

Brasil and Argentina should not make the finals (without a lot of help) ...they are not good enough, though the last game was the best i've seen Brasil play in a long time, but, it was vs a team in shambles.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Can't see how the Ref is at fault for what happened to Italy. The red card he called happened on the ball ten feet in front of him and the one he missed was off the ball and took a few slow motion replays to see. Anyway hope Bitey Mcbites a Lot gets the boot from the tournament plus more, that was shameful.

a Direct Red Card on a guy going for the ball in mid stride who has the other player step in front of him... the commentators didnt even say squat until the card came out, and they watched the replay a few times (then they agreed with it).

yes, cleats were up, but, he was trying to step over the ball, he wasnt going for a tackle, and he was the player in possession at the time. Worst case scenario should have been a Yellow, but, even with the Red, the game wasnt over.

for the bite(which was Red Card worthy, and would have even up the game, and crushed the momentum Uruguay had), there is an official Behind the Net, and linesman who should have seen the play ...it was Uruguay's top player, and Italy's top defender ...who else should they have been watching in the box?? (Cavani was close too)
My favourite part was the Uruguayan player pulling up Chellini's shirt to cover his shoulder when he was trying to show the ref (who didnt even go look at his shoulder)

its done, life goes on (and Uruguay), but Italy doesnt... reminds me of the Korea game, just hope Italy responds in the next World Cup in the same way.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012

Italy has control of the game, gets a poor call against, and proceeds to lose control. The linesmen is supposed to be monitoring the penalty area, and whats worse is the ref refused to even look at the bite imprints on his shoulder. It's ultimately Italy's own fault for failing to score in 2 matches and move on, but Suarez should have been sent off and the game evened up again. Who knows what happens then.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
a Direct Red Card on a guy going for the ball in mid stride who has the other player step in front of him... the commentators didnt even say squat until the card came out, and they watched the replay a few times (then they agreed with it).

yes, cleats were up, but, he was trying to step over the ball, he wasnt going for a tackle, and he was the player in possession at the time. Worst case scenario should have been a Yellow, but, even with the Red, the game wasnt over.

for the bite(which was Red Card worthy, and would have even up the game, and crushed the momentum Uruguay had), there is an official Behind the Net, and linesman who should have seen the play ...it was Uruguay's top player, and Italy's top defender ...who else should they have been watching in the box?? (Cavani was close too)
My favourite part was the Uruguayan player pulling up Chellini's shirt to cover his shoulder when he was trying to show the ref (who didnt even go look at his shoulder)

its done, life goes on (and Uruguay), but Italy doesnt... reminds me of the Korea game, just hope Italy responds in the next World Cup in the same way.

The red card was awful, even if it was a studs up challenge. Reffing has been a joke this word cup, we can only hope Suarez gets the book thrown at him.

As for Italy, they need to reinvent their game. This sitting back and passing/ passive system isn't getting them anywhere. They have some capable strikers, the new manager needs to utilize them properly.

Hounsy

Dec 28, 2003
A wonderful location
Visit site

Look I think you have every reason to be upset as an Italian fan, the result was unfair in the end and unjust. Though I still think it would have been a massive stroke of luck for any ref to pick that bite up as really there is only one angle that you can see it from and even then in real time it is hard to notice. On a side note it makes me wonder with how many times he has been caught biting how many times has he got away with it on the pitch when there was not a massive amounts of cameras to pick it up.

KLM-Line

May 8, 2007
Munich
Urs Maier (former ref) said on German TV that you can justify the red card when the ref identified malicious intent ... but given the lenient line of reffing so far Maier found it misplaced to go strict by the rules here. It all got accentuated by the ugly Suarez scene which went without any punishment ingame. In the end Italy should have done more beforehand to not find themselves in that position.

Ivory Coast loosing it in the final minute makes me wonder if there isn't even more heartbreak in for Africia when Ghana is on the lifeline of Germany/US.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
While this is true, that game was complete BS. The red card call was absolutely terrible, and the non call on an actual incident is just salt in the wound. No one should be saying they lost because of the call/non call (respectively), but it's also pretty unfair to say that those two incidents don't have a major impact on the game. In this case, Italy had to give up attacking time and defend, because one poorly committed attack will lead to being ill prepared to defend and can blow the game. In the end, Italy should have been able to beat Costa Rica and this game should have been null, their loss. (But seriously, how can a reff ignore clear as day bite marks on a players back/neck area?)

This cup has been awful IMO, reffing is extremely weak and south American bias is all but too obvious. These are the things that make soccer a huge joke to many north americans, the refs have to much influence on these games.

The referee immediately saw the foul as a red card, both announcers during the game saw it as a red card, the post game reviewers also agreed it was a red card, and if you have ever played or watched any amount of football, a dangerous play like that of spiking an opponents knee will always get called as a red card. The only commentators who disagree are disagreeing in Italian. It was a red card and deserved to be called a red card. Period.

As for the bite, the replay showed the referee didn't see the play, and with Chiellini's rep, he wouldn't just take his word for it. Thing is, some calls do get missed but they are just part of the game. If the ref had made the correct call in the Italy vs Costa Rica game, Chiellini would have been called for the foul in the box, Costa Rica would have had a penalty shot and most likely won 2-0. That would in turn mean that Italy needed a win and Uruguay a tie to advance, and that would also have changed this last game. However, those are all ifs and ifs count for nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad