Speculation: Teams that could be surprise sellers on trade deadline day

Bowe Byrum

Nov 22, 2021
Unless players waive their clauses and teams actually want those contracts there isn't much Guerin can do with the situation he elected to put himself in. Sure, Duhaime gets a 5th-7th, but that's nothing. If Fleury wants to go he's the only guy that gets anything, Bogosian's an extension candidate with how he's played, Maroon's injured right now(again, 5th-7th). Can't see Johansson waiving, nobody should be touching Gaudreau/Foligno(also injured) with those contracts(trade protection as well), probably not moving Zuccarello as that may upset Kaprizov, Goligoski's not an NHL player, Merrill probably clears waivers. That just leaves Hartman(NMC) and Middleton who still have term and are giving quality play relative to their pay.
plus they are making the playoffs

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I also could see Edmonton as sellers. Not the typical sellers. I think they seem enough of Ceci, Kulak and Foegele to move them out. Ceci only if they find an upgrade. Kulak to create some cap space and Foegele if the Oilers add a top 6 RW and a 3rd line C. Brown, Janmark and Ryan also could be moved.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I could see the Wings buying and selling at the deadline.

I could see them moving Gostisbehere to a team like Tampa that has had D injuries for an overpayment.

I could also see them trading for a signed Hanifin regardless of playoff status.
This is about what I see. I don’t see Yzerman doing one or the other, but if he makes deals I expect multiple with a combo of short term sales and long term buys. I don’t think he sells given where we are in the standings, but I doubt he’s going to go all in for just this year.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Even though the Blues are currently in the last playoff spot, I expect them to be sellers. Some might consider that surprising. This isn’t the 2019 team that went on a tear to a surprising Cup win.

The problem is they don’t have a ROR or Tarasenko to sell this time around. But I could see them getting some mid-round picks for Scandella, Kapanen, Blais or Sundqvist.

And if Buchnevich isn’t going to re-sign, then he’s likely available too but a pretty hefty haul.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Even though the Blues are currently in the last playoff spot, I expect them to be sellers. Some might consider that surprising. This isn’t the 2019 team that went on a tear to a surprising Cup win.

The problem is they don’t have a ROR or Tarasenko to sell this time around. But I could see them getting some mid-round picks for Scandella, Kapanen, Blais or Sundqvist.

And if Buchnevich isn’t going to re-sign, then he’s likely available too but a pretty hefty haul.
I could see yzerman and Armstrong coming together on a buchnevich deal at the deadline. Detroit has some young almost/ready prospects + picks.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Detroit. Before Red Wings fans get mad at me. I can see what Stevie Y is doing. He is thinking long term. They are in the last wild card spot in the east and they have been somewhat consistent. But, I do not see them making a deep run in the playoffs and they have a couple of guys on their team that other teams that are looking for the a piece that could help them for a run. Obliviously most would point at Kane and he would need to sign off on the deal. The player that also jumps out is Perron. 35 years old, cup winner with 100+ games in the playoffs. Depth wins the cup and he is a very good depth person to have on the team. Kane is 34. For me the Wings might be a couple of year away from doing some damage and may think trading Perron or Kane for assets that could help them win the cup in a couple of seasons maybe the right move.
If putting Perron on the trade block and trading him and we do nothing else and that is considered being sellers...

sign me the fu*k up on being a seller. Sell sell sell then baby.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I'm not saying they are going to....but the Penguins should sell everything. Sid included.

Geno returns a top 10 pick + teams best defensive prospect +
Sid returns a top 10 pick + teams best forward prospect ++
Guentzel returns a late 1st rounder + top forward or defensive prospect
Letang returns assets
Karlsson returns assets

If they take back the right cap dumps, they flip those when they are at their TDL's and claim more assets in following years.

Hit the bottom of the league for 25 and 26. Draft some high picks. Mix in with the other prospects they have returned and other top picks.

They can do a quick rebuild, but they have to get assets for those high value pieces.

As it stands now....Crosby, Malkin, Karlsson and Letang could all retire Penguins without any return for them. Now is the time to do it. They's aren't winning any more cups....as much as I would like to see Sid take another run.
man, that loyalty gene just decided to jump off that cliff real quick.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012

just out of curiosity, what would you think would be the ask for robert thomas?

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
man, that loyalty gene just decided to jump off that cliff real quick.
loyalty to what? Some franchises are in perilous positions. Allowing themselves to flatline may never resuscitate a team. We all know Pittsburgh was on it's last ropes, before winning the Crosby sweepstakes.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
loyalty to what? Some franchises are in perilous positions. Allowing themselves to flatline may never resuscitate a team. We all know Pittsburgh was on it's last ropes, before winning the Crosby sweepstakes.
just throwing crosby, malkin, letang out like dirty laundry. that loyalty or lackthereof

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Yeah Detroit I think should sell Gostisbehere, Sprong and Perron if they get decent value for all of them and try to hold water without them. Perron would cause the biggest hole I'd think but also would have a ton of interest with his play style

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Don't see Yzerman just selling people. Could see a hockey trade.
I think getting a pick for Sprong and putting Berggren in his place could be a smart move but generally I'd agree they obviously wanted to take a step this year and will need all the points they can get down the stretch. Still I think I'd move some UFAs if I were them

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
This is about what I see. I don’t see Yzerman doing one or the other, but if he makes deals I expect multiple with a combo of short term sales and long term buys. I don’t think he sells given where we are in the standings, but I doubt he’s going to go all in for just this year.
I see Detroit a lot like where I saw Carolina in 2018-19 heading into the playoffs. Some minor tweaking but they'll ride with what they have. I can't see any kind of major selling but they also won't heavily buy either, too soon in the window.

Reactions: SoupNazi

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Detroit should not be selling anyone if they are where they are at by deadline time. This team has taken big steps and the guys deserve to have a chance to play playoff hockey. Message is so bad if they just sell off. They are winning because of their depth, selling off the depth would crush them

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Seattle. May not be a bad idea to shop Grubauer and see what they could get for him. Daccord has taken over in net and has been playing well.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Thomas is a young 1st line center.....you don't trade these
Everyone has a number.

mcdavid is mcdavid, but there is always a number that someone would accept. Just look at gretzky.

I'm not looking for actual specific players in return like seider/larkin/whatever, just like well we would need 2-3 1sts + A prospect + B+ prospect + two middle sixers, as an example of course.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
just throwing crosby, malkin, letang out like dirty laundry. that loyalty or lackthereof
It's business man. Players walk in FA all the time and players get traded.

Dear sid...not going to trade you, because you know.....loyalty and all ....just hope the franchise doesn't fold when you retire and we enter a period of immense darkness and despair.

• Haha
Reactions: Detroit Knights

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
It's business man. Players walk in FA all the time and players get traded.

Dear sid...not going to trade you, because you know.....loyalty and all ....just hope the franchise doesn't fold when you retire and we enter a period of immense darkness and despair.
i could understand if we were talking about filippula or guerin or even talbot, maybe even malkin in a way, but crosby? tough

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad