Speculation: Teams that could be surprise sellers on trade deadline day

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
I'd say you're more crazy to think that based on his full NTC than his performance. Performance-wise, I'd say he's worth a 1st. He's better than he was last year on a bum hip, and he would've gotten a 1st then if he wasn't dead set on only going to NYR.

That said, I wouldn't be disappointed at all if Yzerman threw a 2-3 year deal at Kane for $6M - $7M. If he falls off a cliff during that time, Detroit can handle it considering the litany of ELCs they'll have.

Which is part of the reason I'm cool with shipping Fabbri off. He's our #4 winger with Raymond/Debrincat/Kane around, and none of those three are particularly big or physical. Berggren is, no doubt, NHL ready, and is being kept down because they don't want to play him in bottom 6 minutes. Shit or get off the pot. He's about to be 24.
Just think best case scenario If we fall off and kane accepts a trade is to move for a 1st and bring him back in the off season if he agrees to it prior. Can use that 1st in another big deal

Agree with berggren being up and shipping fabbri. Was against his signing in the first place due to his injury history

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
The deadline is just over 2 weeks away and there is a lot of speculation with several teams, with Nashville coming up the most as a team that might make moves at the deadline that could take them out of this year playoff race, names like Saros and nearly all their soon to be UFAS being available--the question is of course--is it the preds calling the teams or are the team calling them? That is the question.

A lot can happen over the next 2 1.2 weeks but here are the teams that I can see being active in doing things for the future and not now.

NY Islanders have 8 games between now and the deadline and sit 5 pts out of the playoffs and I think if on deadline day they are sitting more than 5 pts out of the playoffs. they may trade some of the guys over the age of 30 on the team for younger assets

Washington and Pittsburgh--Two massive wild card teams for what they could do, Both have cores over the age of 30 and are currently 6 and 7 pts out of the playoffs respectively. With Pittsburgh the question is, will the let Crosby, Malkin and Letang retire before pulling the pin on a full rebuild. Karlsson has now come back down to earth and his numbers are what most thought they would be, Washington has the same question with Alex O. When do they start the rebuild or correction? Do they wait until Alex O retires. He is now 38 and looks human.

Detroit. Before Red Wings fans get mad at me. I can see what Stevie Y is doing. He is thinking long term. They are in the last wild card spot in the east and they have been somewhat consistent. But, I do not see them making a deep run in the playoffs and they have a couple of guys on their team that other teams that are looking for the a piece that could help them for a run. Obliviously most would point at Kane and he would need to sign off on the deal. The player that also jumps out is Perron. 35 years old, cup winner with 100+ games in the playoffs. Depth wins the cup and he is a very good depth person to have on the team. Kane is 34. For me the Wings might be a couple of year away from doing some damage and may think trading Perron or Kane for assets that could help them win the cup in a couple of seasons maybe the right move.

Out west two teams jump out at me.

Seattle and the Wild. The WIld are an interesting team--they have one more season after this one of paying the price for buying out both Praise and Suter. 14.7 in dead cap space would kill any team--but they have done well this year. Their core is mostly under 25. So will the wild pull trigger on moving some vets for more assets for the future. Mainly Fluery, Zuccarello, Maroon, and Goligoski? With Seattle it is more straight forward. They have been up and down all year. Names that I could see them consider moving are Larsson, Eberle, Tatar and Schultz( 10 team NTC he is looking increase his value in the off season a run in the playoffs would help)

what other teams could be surprise sellers at the deadline? And yes--I fully expect some fans of the teams mentioned to jump all over my theory
Selling early was a smart move by Conroy and Hughes.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Capitals aren't really a surprise seller, they are all but guaranteed seller at this point. How much they sell is the real question. UFA's are gone again unless they are staying but they will propably atleast listen to offers on several players with term left.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Just think best case scenario If we fall off and kane accepts a trade is to move for a 1st and bring him back in the off season if he agrees to it prior. Can use that 1st in another big deal

Agree with berggren being up and shipping fabbri. Was against his signing in the first place due to his injury history
Given how selective Kane has been since Chicago trading him and his signing process, I don't think anybody's giving a 1st for him.

Teams know he's selective, and if they're on the list, they're one of the few.

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
Given how selective Kane has been since Chicago trading him and his signing process, I don't think anybody's giving a 1st for him.

Teams know he's selective, and if they're on the list, they're one of the few.
Probably right unless he tells yzerman hes coming back and they work together on getting the team a good return and pretending hes open to say 6 teams but in reality its say 3 lol

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
I'm not saying they are going to....but the Penguins should sell everything. Sid included.

Geno returns a top 10 pick + teams best defensive prospect +
Sid returns a top 10 pick + teams best forward prospect ++
This is a value vs. available assets problem.

Are Sid and Geno worth packages which include a top-10 pick? That's not unreasonable value.

Name me a team holding a probable top-10 pick likely to be trading for a premier veteran top-6 C.

If there's even one team in that range today, both their expectation and the realistic probability is that a bubble team or just-off-the-bubble team adding either Sid or Geno at the TDL plays their way into a playoff spot down the stretch.

To put it another way...there is no way to actually trade either Crosby or Malkin and net a top-10 pick in return.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Lou should be a seller and get what he can for quite a few players (Reilly, Bortuzzo, Aho, Wahlstrom, Clutterbuck, Martin at the minimum) be we know he won’t.
Trade the 4th line as a set For a 2nd round pick
The Cizmarterbuck line is no longer necessary in its current aged state

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
This is a value vs. available assets problem.

Are Sid and Geno worth packages which include a top-10 pick? That's not unreasonable value.

Name me a team holding a probable top-10 pick likely to be trading for a premier veteran top-6 C.

If there's even one team in that range today, both their expectation and the realistic probability is that a bubble team or just-off-the-bubble team adding either Sid or Geno at the TDL plays their way into a playoff spot down the stretch.

To put it another way...there is no way to actually trade either Crosby or Malkin and net a top-10 pick in return.
Sid at 36, still a PPG. If I knew that we weren't going to win the lottery, I would probably trade the Habs pick today. Sitting around 7th right now. Nothing in stone we are getting anything more than a 2nd liner or 2nd pair at that spot. Ill take 4 years of Sid.

Slaf - Suzuki - Caufield
Newhook - Sid - Dach

Reactions: Habs10Habs

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
If Detroit wants to make room for young players, Compher would be the picture-perfect fit in Carolina. He isn't likely available, but the traits are all there. Good offensive production, a right-handed center, and 4 more prime seasons locked in.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
If Detroit wants to make room for young players, Compher would be the picture-perfect fit in Carolina. He isn't likely available, but the traits are all there. Good offensive production, a right-handed center, and 4 more prime seasons locked in.
Detroit doesn't have enough C depth to trade Compher, I don't think they would trade him even if they were out of the playoffs.

If Detroit falls apart I see them trading Gostisbehere and Kane.

Reactions: DaveG

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Trade the 4th line as a set For a 2nd round pick
The Cizmarterbuck line is no longer necessary in its current aged state
Cizikas however is still a functional player. Just have him play wing for Maclean to mentor him. Cal and Matt however have done their time in the organization and need to move on.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
The deadline is just over 2 weeks away and there is a lot of speculation with several teams, with Nashville coming up the most as a team that might make moves at the deadline that could take them out of this year playoff race, names like Saros and nearly all their soon to be UFAS being available--the question is of course--is it the preds calling the teams or are the team calling them? That is the question.

A lot can happen over the next 2 1.2 weeks but here are the teams that I can see being active in doing things for the future and not now.

NY Islanders have 8 games between now and the deadline and sit 5 pts out of the playoffs and I think if on deadline day they are sitting more than 5 pts out of the playoffs. they may trade some of the guys over the age of 30 on the team for younger assets

Washington and Pittsburgh--Two massive wild card teams for what they could do, Both have cores over the age of 30 and are currently 6 and 7 pts out of the playoffs respectively. With Pittsburgh the question is, will the let Crosby, Malkin and Letang retire before pulling the pin on a full rebuild. Karlsson has now come back down to earth and his numbers are what most thought they would be, Washington has the same question with Alex O. When do they start the rebuild or correction? Do they wait until Alex O retires. He is now 38 and looks human.

Detroit. Before Red Wings fans get mad at me. I can see what Stevie Y is doing. He is thinking long term. They are in the last wild card spot in the east and they have been somewhat consistent. But, I do not see them making a deep run in the playoffs and they have a couple of guys on their team that other teams that are looking for the a piece that could help them for a run. Obliviously most would point at Kane and he would need to sign off on the deal. The player that also jumps out is Perron. 35 years old, cup winner with 100+ games in the playoffs. Depth wins the cup and he is a very good depth person to have on the team. Kane is 34. For me the Wings might be a couple of year away from doing some damage and may think trading Perron or Kane for assets that could help them win the cup in a couple of seasons maybe the right move.

Out west two teams jump out at me.

Seattle and the Wild. The WIld are an interesting team--they have one more season after this one of paying the price for buying out both Praise and Suter. 14.7 in dead cap space would kill any team--but they have done well this year. Their core is mostly under 25. So will the wild pull trigger on moving some vets for more assets for the future. Mainly Fluery, Zuccarello, Maroon, and Goligoski? With Seattle it is more straight forward. They have been up and down all year. Names that I could see them consider moving are Larsson, Eberle, Tatar and Schultz( 10 team NTC he is looking increase his value in the off season a run in the playoffs would help)

what other teams could be surprise sellers at the deadline? And yes--I fully expect some fans of the teams mentioned to jump all over my theory
Detroit only sells barring a collapse or offers that are too good to refuse for Perron/Kane.

I could see if they trade for an actual good NHL D that they try and unload some of the garbage players they have sitting around though

Reactions: PelagicJoe

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Detroit doesn't have enough C depth to trade Compher, I don't think they would trade him even if they were out of the playoffs.

If Detroit falls apart I see them trading Gostisbehere and Kane.

I'd imagine that Jack Drury (who has had a very good season and is only 24) would be part of any trade for Copp or Compher.

The Shrike

Jul 13, 2008
Toronto
I'm not saying they are going to....but the Penguins should sell everything. Sid included.

Guentzel returns a late 1st rounder + top forward or defensive prospect
Letang returns assets
Karlsson returns assets

If they take back the right cap dumps, they flip those when they are at their TDL's and claim more assets in following years.

Hit the bottom of the league for 25 and 26. Draft some high picks. Mix in with the other prospects they have returned and other top picks.

They can do a quick rebuild, but they have to get assets for those high value pieces.

As it stands now....Crosby, Malkin, Karlsson and Letang could all retire Penguins without any return for them. Now is the time to do it. They's aren't winning any more cups....as much as I would like to see Sid take another run.
I'm sure Dubas would like to start the rebuild earlier, but the Fenway people seem set on keeping the old guard till at least Crosby's contract is up.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

Guentzel returns a late 1st rounder + top forward or defensive prospect
Letang returns assets
Karlsson returns assets

If they take back the right cap dumps, they flip those when they are at their TDL's and claim more assets in following years.

Hit the bottom of the league for 25 and 26. Draft some high picks. Mix in with the other prospects they have returned and other top picks.

They can do a quick rebuild, but they have to get assets for those high value pieces.

As it stands now....Crosby, Malkin, Karlsson and Letang could all retire Penguins without any return for them. Now is the time to do it. They's aren't winning any more cups....as much as I would like to see Sid take another run.
Where are they getting these “top 10 picks” from?

I don’t see a lot of rebuilding teams lining up to trade for guys who are 35+

IF they were to sell you’d be looking more things like

Necas + +
Danielson + + ++
Byram ++

Rebuilding teams simply aren’t giving up their 1sts for a guy who won’t make a difference

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Cizikas however is still a functional player. Just have him play wing for Maclean to mentor him. Cal and Matt however have done their time in the organization and need to move on.

functional gets you the 15th pick in the draft every year .He is like the other two a shell of what he was

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
The season would have to take a catastrophic turn for Detroit to sell off players. Word is Illitch is pretty adamant on pushing to make the playoffs.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Sid at 36, still a PPG. If I knew that we weren't going to win the lottery, I would probably trade the Habs pick today. Sitting around 7th right now. Nothing in stone we are getting anything more than a 2nd liner or 2nd pair at that spot. Ill take 4 years of Sid.

Slaf - Suzuki - Caufield
Newhook - Sid - Dach
Glad you are not Kent Hughes. You are hoping to get a top 6 F with that pick that you can run out for the next 12-15 years. Trading it away for a guy who is 36 when you are not going to make the playoffs is pointless. How long does Crosby realistically have? You have one shot next year- after that he is a UFA and can sign with a team that didn't throw away their assets

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Glad you are not Kent Hughes. You are hoping to get a top 6 F with that pick that you can run out for the next 12-15 years. Trading it away for a guy who is 36 when you are not going to make the playoffs is pointless. How long does Crosby realistically have? You have one shot next year- after that he is a UFA and can sign with a team that didn't throw away their assets
It's obviously contigent on Crosby playing another 4 years and with our team. I would not trade that for a rental ever. Is it bold? sure is. It is also Sidney Crosby. If Celebrini, Lindstrom, Demi and Catton are gone when we pick. I seriously think about this. So what, I'm not Kent Hughes. Not pretending to be.

We still have the Jets pick and two more 1st in 25. We can aim at forward here.

We are deep at D.

fr1to

Feb 21, 2024
Seattle
If the Kraken plan on being even somewhat competitive next season then there is little chance they're moving Larsson. They will likely just sell off the UFAs so they at least get something rather than losing them for nothing. Those would be:

C Wennberg
RW Eberle
D Shultz

Kraken would likely retain on at least two of them.

Tatar is also available but I'm not sure there would be much interest for a notorious playoff non-performer.

Dumoulin is not a pending UFA but could be available to make room on the left side for Evans.
If the Kraken fall out of it these are the right names. I would sign Eberle around his $5.5M for another year or two, but I'd want to see Gourde on a wing to sign Wennberg beyond next year, and I'd like to add a [potential] top-4 RD if not a high-end scoring forward. The four UFAs account for $14.5M in cap, and while extensions for Tolvanen and Beniers will cost a good chunk of that amount, I think there should be room to add another quality piece.

Is there a young RD or 1st out there for some combo of these guys?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad