Speculation: Teams that could be surprise sellers on trade deadline day

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
The deadline is just over 2 weeks away and there is a lot of speculation with several teams, with Nashville coming up the most as a team that might make moves at the deadline that could take them out of this year playoff race, names like Saros and nearly all their soon to be UFAS being available--the question is of course--is it the preds calling the teams or are the team calling them? That is the question.

A lot can happen over the next 2 1.2 weeks but here are the teams that I can see being active in doing things for the future and not now.

NY Islanders have 8 games between now and the deadline and sit 5 pts out of the playoffs and I think if on deadline day they are sitting more than 5 pts out of the playoffs. they may trade some of the guys over the age of 30 on the team for younger assets

Washington and Pittsburgh--Two massive wild card teams for what they could do, Both have cores over the age of 30 and are currently 6 and 7 pts out of the playoffs respectively. With Pittsburgh the question is, will the let Crosby, Malkin and Letang retire before pulling the pin on a full rebuild. Karlsson has now come back down to earth and his numbers are what most thought they would be, Washington has the same question with Alex O. When do they start the rebuild or correction? Do they wait until Alex O retires. He is now 38 and looks human.

Detroit. Before Red Wings fans get mad at me. I can see what Stevie Y is doing. He is thinking long term. They are in the last wild card spot in the east and they have been somewhat consistent. But, I do not see them making a deep run in the playoffs and they have a couple of guys on their team that other teams that are looking for the a piece that could help them for a run. Obliviously most would point at Kane and he would need to sign off on the deal. The player that also jumps out is Perron. 35 years old, cup winner with 100+ games in the playoffs. Depth wins the cup and he is a very good depth person to have on the team. Kane is 34. For me the Wings might be a couple of year away from doing some damage and may think trading Perron or Kane for assets that could help them win the cup in a couple of seasons maybe the right move.

Out west two teams jump out at me.

Seattle and the Wild. The WIld are an interesting team--they have one more season after this one of paying the price for buying out both Praise and Suter. 14.7 in dead cap space would kill any team--but they have done well this year. Their core is mostly under 25. So will the wild pull trigger on moving some vets for more assets for the future. Mainly Fluery, Zuccarello, Maroon, and Goligoski? With Seattle it is more straight forward. They have been up and down all year. Names that I could see them consider moving are Larsson, Eberle, Tatar and Schultz( 10 team NTC he is looking increase his value in the off season a run in the playoffs would help)

what other teams could be surprise sellers at the deadline? And yes--I fully expect some fans of the teams mentioned to jump all over my theory

Reactions: Nevins

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Yeah I was gonna say Minnesota and Pittsburgh.

Minnesota badly needs a re-tool. Old roster that needs an influx of young talent because they're nowhere near contender status right now

Reactions: HawksDub89

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022

Minnesota badly needs a re-tool. Old roster that needs an influx of young talent because they're nowhere near contender status right now
minny just extended a bunch of old players to multiyear deals. i dont think guerin does it even if he should.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
I could see the Wings buying and selling at the deadline.

I could see them moving Gostisbehere to a team like Tampa that has had D injuries for an overpayment.

I could also see them trading for a signed Hanifin regardless of playoff status.

Reactions: SoupNazi

saywut

Jun 11, 2009

Unless players waive their clauses and teams actually want those contracts there isn't much Guerin can do with the situation he elected to put himself in. Sure, Duhaime gets a 5th-7th, but that's nothing. If Fleury wants to go he's the only guy that gets anything, Bogosian's an extension candidate with how he's played, Maroon's injured right now(again, 5th-7th). Can't see Johansson waiving, nobody should be touching Gaudreau/Foligno(also injured) with those contracts(trade protection as well), probably not moving Zuccarello as that may upset Kaprizov, Goligoski's not an NHL player, Merrill probably clears waivers. That just leaves Hartman(NMC) and Middleton who still have term and are giving quality play relative to their pay.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Detroit. Before Red Wings fans get mad at me. I can see what Stevie Y is doing. He is thinking long term. They are in the last wild card spot in the east and they have been somewhat consistent. But, I do not see them making a deep run in the playoffs and they have a couple of guys on their team that other teams that are looking for the a piece that could help them for a run. Obliviously most would point at Kane and he would need to sign off on the deal. The player that also jumps out is Perron. 35 years old, cup winner with 100+ games in the playoffs. Depth wins the cup and he is a very good depth person to have on the team. Kane is 34. For me the Wings might be a couple of year away from doing some damage and may think trading Perron or Kane for assets that could help them win the cup in a couple of seasons maybe the right move.
I'd rather keep Kane for those damage years but Perron, Ghost and Määttä could be traded away to make room for Edvinsson, Johansson and Berggren.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
I'd rather keep Kane for those damage years but Perron, Ghost and Määttä could be traded away to make room for Edvinsson, Johansson and Berggren.
Like I posted. Kane would be the first player to jump to peoples minds but for me it was Perron. Kane can bring leadership to the prospects and younger players and that is something all teams rebuilding need. Ghost is a guy who I have never liked. He can not play in his own zone and in the play offs would be a liability. But a team battling for a playoff spot might give something up and use them on their powerplay.

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
Like I posted. Kane would be the first player to jump to peoples minds but for me it was Perron. Kane can bring leadership to the prospects and younger players and that is something all teams rebuilding need. Ghost is a guy who I have never liked. He can not play in his own zone and in the play offs would be a liability. But a team battling for a playoff spot might give something up and use them on their powerplay.

Wings fan here ... I don't think you're wrong with your overall analysis - the Wings aren't close to being a contender so if they can get good value, it's not a bad idea. But 1- I'm not convinced Perron or anyone else besides Kane would get the Wings anything substantial (they've been hoarding picks for years and their system is stocked to the brim, to the point they're going to have to start moving D prospects or risk losing them for nothing) and 2- with Perron specifically, he's definitely seen as a leader in the locker room and mentor for the young guys, so I would be really surprised if he was moved, unless they're just completely out of it by next month.

Reactions: PelagicJoe

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
I could see the Wings buying and selling at the deadline.

I could see them moving Gostisbehere to a team like Tampa that has had D injuries for an overpayment.

I could also see them trading for a signed Hanifin regardless of playoff status.

The Wings remind me of the Canucks of the East, always feels like they could be involved in everything. Two teams that are ready to make deals at any given time.

Reactions: David71

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
That sort of describes the Wings current situation though, doesn't it?

Reactions: Detroit Knights

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
Sadly the Penguins should be sellers and this is something that should have been decided even before they lost to LA today.

Smith sent to another team that has a retention spot along with pick, that team trades him back to Vegas w/retention, pens get back a prospect or young guy from Vegas. Maybe dorofeyev?

Jake to either a young team that can sign him long term looking to take the next step in a year or two that has some young high end guys that could use "sid jr" in terms of setting an example for work ethic, effort, preparation, coachability ECT while being a 30plus goal scorer for the foreseeable future or a playoff team trying to get over the hump. either way, what Vancouver gave up to Calgary is what the pens would be looking for.

POJ to a team for a player in a similar spot, young guy not fitting in for young guy not fitting in. He could be a legit second pairing defender if he was out from under Sullivan and coached properly.

Personally I try to trade rust and hope he waives to got to a team with a better shot win, maybe Carolina, Edmonton, or Vancouver wants him. I don't know. Pens would take back salary for the right return.

I like eller and would want to hang onto him for another year if the team goes young, but he should be avail for the right price.

Acari could me moved if he's healthy at the deadline, pick or prospect coming back. Or, better pick with a slightly over paid player.

Neito/Harkins/white should be given away for free.

Ned has had a great year and should be offered. Or Jarry if the price is right.

Hell I'd trade Malkin if he wanted out and the price was right to a team that wants him and has wingers to get the best out of him. Who needs a second line center and won't be throwing him the scraps that sid doesn't want to play with? Avs can't have sid but I'd trade them Geno.

Sid ends his career a penguins, so does letang, I keep karlsson at least one more year as I think you get a better return next year than you do now after the cap goes up. Don't sell low on rackell and petterson stays till at least next deadline as well.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019

Not bad enough but not good enough to be a realistic cup team has basically been the Wilds existence.

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
No ones thinking of the wings at this moment but if they fall off suddenly kane gostisbehere perron sprong gets added to the mix

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Lou should be a seller and get what he can for quite a few players (Reilly, Bortuzzo, Aho, Wahlstrom, Clutterbuck, Martin at the minimum) be we know he won’t.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
I'd be OK with Detroit moving Ghost and Fabbri regardless of whether they're in the mix or not. They wont, because the approach will be that they "Want depth in case of injuries", but I think you can plug Edvinsson and Berggren into those roles. I'd throw Perron on that list but in a playoff situation, I think he's a guy you want around mentally, even if he's not all that great anymore. He's one of the few on this team that's "Been there, done that".

If Detroit goes on a massive losing streak over the next two weeks and is 6-10 points out of it, dump Ghost, Fabbri, Perron, and Sprong for whatever you can get. If you can find somebody dumb enough to take Chiarot/Holl/Petry, dump one of them, too.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I see a clear division after DAL COL WIN STL VGK VAN EDM LAK so no one in the west should be a surprise.

NJD is heating up so it's not a shock for the teams below BOS FLA TOR TBL NYR CAR NJD to be sellers.

Seems like a race between DET and PHI for that last spot.

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
I'd be OK with Detroit moving Ghost and Fabbri regardless of whether they're in the mix or not. They wont, because the approach will be that they "Want depth in case of injuries", but I think you can plug Edvinsson and Berggren into those roles. I'd throw Perron on that list but in a playoff situation, I think he's a guy you want around mentally, even if he's not all that great anymore. He's one of the few on this team that's "Been there, done that".

If Detroit goes on a massive losing streak over the next two weeks and is 6-10 points out of it, dump Ghost, Fabbri, Perron, and Sprong for whatever you can get. If you can find somebody dumb enough to take Chiarot/Holl/Petry, dump one of them, too.
If we fall out of it and were moving kane am I crazy to think since hes been playing good and at a ppg ,and a hall of Famer and playoff performer we can get a 1st from a cup contender ???

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
If we fall out of it and were moving kane am I crazy to think since hes been playing good and at a ppg ,and a hall of Famer and playoff performer we can get a 1st from a cup contender ???

I'd say you're more crazy to think that based on his full NTC than his performance. Performance-wise, I'd say he's worth a 1st. He's better than he was last year on a bum hip, and he would've gotten a 1st then if he wasn't dead set on only going to NYR.

That said, I wouldn't be disappointed at all if Yzerman threw a 2-3 year deal at Kane for $6M - $7M. If he falls off a cliff during that time, Detroit can handle it considering the litany of ELCs they'll have.

Which is part of the reason I'm cool with shipping Fabbri off. He's our #4 winger with Raymond/Debrincat/Kane around, and none of those three are particularly big or physical. Berggren is, no doubt, NHL ready, and is being kept down because they don't want to play him in bottom 6 minutes. Shit or get off the pot. He's about to be 24.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Good question

It seems there are more teams on playoff bubble this year, so any of them would be surprising in some respects (although some unsurprising names). One could put all teams into four buckets...

Lottery Teams (9) -- Among the lottery-eligible teams, any younger, long term assets sold would be a surprise (ie Jiricek, Zegras)

BUF, MTL, OTT
CBJ
ARZ, CHI
CGY, ANA, SJS

Young Playoff Bubble (4) -- The younger, developing clubs on the way up and near the bubble would be expected to sell some UFAs, but not long-term assets

DET
PHI, NJD
MIN

Older Playoff Bubble (9) -- But the fully developed, win-now type teams on the bubble would be surprising sellers (outside of cap moves)

TBL, TOR
NYI, PIT, WAS
STL, NSH
LAK, SEA

Playoff Locks (10) -- I think anyone from a team considered a lock for playoffs today would (much like Sandin trade to Washington). So anyone off todays roster (outside of cap dumps) from any of these teams:

FLA, BOS
NYR, CAR
DAL, COL, WPG
VAN, VGK, EDM

Reactions: Macheteops

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I'm not saying they are going to....but the Penguins should sell everything. Sid included.

Geno returns a top 10 pick + teams best defensive prospect +
Sid returns a top 10 pick + teams best forward prospect ++
Guentzel returns a late 1st rounder + top forward or defensive prospect
Letang returns assets
Karlsson returns assets

If they take back the right cap dumps, they flip those when they are at their TDL's and claim more assets in following years.

Hit the bottom of the league for 25 and 26. Draft some high picks. Mix in with the other prospects they have returned and other top picks.

They can do a quick rebuild, but they have to get assets for those high value pieces.

As it stands now....Crosby, Malkin, Karlsson and Letang could all retire Penguins without any return for them. Now is the time to do it. They's aren't winning any more cups....as much as I would like to see Sid take another run.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
If the Kraken plan on being even somewhat competitive next season then there is little chance they're moving Larsson. They will likely just sell off the UFAs so they at least get something rather than losing them for nothing. Those would be:

C Wennberg
RW Eberle
D Shultz

Kraken would likely retain on at least two of them.

Tatar is also available but I'm not sure there would be much interest for a notorious playoff non-performer.

Dumoulin is not a pending UFA but could be available to make room on the left side for Evans.

Last edited:
Reactions: fr1to

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Lou should be a seller and get what he can for quite a few players (Reilly, Bortuzzo, Aho, Wahlstrom, Clutterbuck, Martin at the minimum) be we know he won’t.

Bortuzzo, Clutterbuck and Martin would all be very welcome additions to Toronto. What are the Islanders needs?

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Bortuzzo, Clutterbuck and Martin would all be very welcome additions to Toronto. What are the Islanders needs?
Picks honestly. Just none of those useless (Reaves) players in return. You can have all 3 for free if you promise to sign John and his Wheat Bran for another $10m+ contract with a full NMC.

• Wow
Reactions: Kaizen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad