Olympics: Team USA 2022

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I think we are probably missing one more star at center, and our depth is a little thin.

Eichel/Matthews are great, and Larkin as a 4C is really solid. But Larkin really shouldn't be higher than a 4C on an all-star team like this, and we don't really have such great depth. Pavelski, Trocheck, Miller, Wheeler as our other center options might not be bad for an NHL team because those are very good players, but for an all-star team, it's not the greatest depth. If Hughes develops a lot in the next year into a player we can say is a quality 3C on this type of all-star team, I think we will have a good 1-4. Until then, we probably lack a 3C and depth.

I also think our depth is going to be there for 2026 because all of Eichel/Matthews/Hughes/Larkin should be back. We have players like Turcotte, Zegras, Beniers that in about 2-3 years should provide some really good depth for us.
Larkin is having a down year but IMO he is a prototypical 3C for this team.

I agree though we are a bit thin there. I went with Dvorak because as a 4C need someone who isn't a black hole offensively but can play both sides of the ice. I liked him in that role far better than Miller or moving Wheeler or Pavs to C.

Larkin ALWAYS steps up his play for his country and we need some guys who can actually pk. Most of our wingers don't really do that which we might struggle with Canada who can put out guys like Marchand, Stone, etc as top wingers who can play defense.

Trocheck would be the best 4C we could ask for this tourney but no way would I reward him all the times he said no thanks to the WC.

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I really don't think Trouba is in consideration for this team, but if he is, Fox is on the team or very close to making it. There's a big gap between those two players who play on the same blueline, and it's not in Trouba's favor.
we need some beef on that blue line which is why I went with him. Outside of Jones and Carlson, the rest are average size on down. Slavin and Jones can't do all the pk work. Plus Trouba is my 7d.

GRob83

Feb 3, 2010
Oh c'mon nobody thinks Oshie will be brought along as an extra forward? He's still the active leader in shootout%

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Not saying I agree or disagree. Curious as to why you took Trouba ahead of Adam Fox? Fox has had a lot bigger role for the Rangers.

I like Adam Fox. He is not a better PP QB than Hughes or Carlson, he isn't a player I would play over either guy if I am chasing a lead either. Then you look at what his other strengths are and they are covered better by other elements of the team. I think he can keep progressing and challenge in 2026, I just struggle to see his role. We have better PP weapons, Werenski and Jones give this cover as well should one go down in terms of offensive weapons.

Werenski and Slavin are going on the left. They are complete players that are ahead of him.

The reason I took McDonagh was for the PK and solid stay at home. He can also be the guy that ensures we get the most out of Carlson for me. We will see, but our problem isn't offense on the back-end so the guys Adam Fox is competing with are different. He also plays a tougher side of the ice for me to work him in. I struggled with the 8th D, I think that will be much more on the who is having a good year part of the team. I can see how you get to Trouba as your 8th D, I don't think he has been as good as some other options, but he brings a different element to the team. Fox is in a tough spot what he does well is really a hard competition for him for the role in my opinion.

Reactions: AmericanDream

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Unless I missed it I haven't seen Jordan Greenway or Conor Garland mentioned anywhere. Was kind of surprised at their numbers this season. And Greenway's size would be an interesting feature to go along with the team's skill.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Unless I missed it I haven't seen Jordan Greenway or Conor Garland mentioned anywhere. Was kind of surprised at their numbers this season. And Greenway's size would be an interesting feature to go along with the team's skill.
I put Greenway in my on the cusp list - he is on the outside looking in right now, but another big,strong, fast power forward- I would like to see more goal scoring from him first but he is a name to keep an eye on.

Garland has almost zero shot. Way too many wingers ahead of him that do what he does but better IMO. DeBrincat, Boeser, Connor and Kane are all snipers (yes Kane is a bit different but a snipe he still has lol)..then you have Gaudreau and the Tkachuks...no where for Garland to go though I love his motor and work ethic.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
One name I would love to find room for just because of him answering the call is Anders Lee. I really wanted him on my team, but again-younger/faster players with his size that can do what he does as well.

Brock Nelson/Cam Atkinson as well I wish we could fit both coming multiple times to play for us at the WC.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I like Adam Fox. He is not a better PP QB than Hughes or Carlson, he isn't a player I would play over either guy if I am chasing a lead either. Then you look at what his other strengths are and they are covered better by other elements of the team. I think he can keep progressing and challenge in 2026, I just struggle to see his role. We have better PP weapons, Werenski and Jones give this cover as well should one go down in terms of offensive weapons.

Werenski and Slavin are going on the left. They are complete players that are ahead of him.

The reason I took McDonagh was for the PK and solid stay at home. He can also be the guy that ensures we get the most out of Carlson for me. We will see, but our problem isn't offense on the back-end so the guys Adam Fox is competing with are different. He also plays a tougher side of the ice for me to work him in. I struggled with the 8th D, I think that will be much more on the who is having a good year part of the team. I can see how you get to Trouba as your 8th D, I don't think he has been as good as some other options, but he brings a different element to the team. Fox is in a tough spot what he does well is really a hard competition for him for the role in my opinion.
I put Slavin with Carlson for the very reason you stated- I feel Slavin's calm balance can allow Carlson to do what he does best.

That pair IMO would work really well together.

Werenski and Jones just make too much sense to keep together.

I went Hughes and McAvoy because Charlie can cover for Hughes some as well. Trouba was my 7d because we really lack that "beef" or guy that can clear out the front of the crease/pk. Jones does that but can't play him 60 minutes...well....lol we probably could. I am fine with a number of dmen to play that Bigger bodied/pk role- we need someone else besides Jones to do that against Canada and Sweden...

Maybe Petry is that name but not really his strength- he can definitely bring it from the point and I would have no problems with him over Trouba for the 7th d. Pesce possibly as well...

IMO, If all remain healthy, Carlson, Slavin, Werenski, Jones and McAvoy are 100% locks. Hughes is about 75% for me just because of that offense he can provide...but someone could overtake him that might have a bit more size/grit without losing much offense.

Overall though this group of dmen could be the best of any Nation in the tourney.

Reactions: JiggsNY

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I see your point that Fox's probably not one of the first for the shutdown role having Jones and McAvoy on that right side, and then not first for the PP having Carlson/Hughes on your team, but I think this idea that Hughes and Carlson are both needed for the two PP units is a little flawed. Is Werenski not one of the best PP defenseman in the NHL? If you have Slavin and McDonagh PK'ing on that left side, does Werenski PK? Or does he play top pair but no PP or PK? I think the idea should be Hughes/Carlson for PP1 and then Werenski for PP2, so we really shouldn't need both Carlson and Hughes.

It'd be much better to get someone in there for one of the lower roles whose going to be able to hold their own against elite competition in the low ES minutes without PP/PK. And if something makes you need someone to play PP or PK, Fox can also play both, so he provides versatility in that aspect. I get he's a smaller defenseman, so you'd probably prefer to not pair him with Hughes at ES, if you also have Hughes on the team, but the rest of the defense has good size, so there should be no real problem with having too many small defensemen and needing extra size.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

The problem with guys like that is who do you swap them out for?

EC

Nov 10, 2016
M. Tkachuk/Matthews/Kane
Van Riemsdyk/Eichel/Wheeler
B. Tkachuk/Larkin/Pavelski
Connor/Hayes/Guentzel
Gaudreau/J. Hughes/Kessel

Slavin/Carlsson
Werenski/Jones
Q.Hughes/McAvoy
McDonagh/Fox

Hellebyuck/Gibson/Bishop

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
Didn't see a thread so making one. I feel like this roster is going to be incredibly hard to whittle down. There are so many more options since our last best on best, so many young guys who have broken through, and a good amount of vets still sticking around and producing still (Pavelski, Pacioretty, Wheeler). There's probably 20ish deserving forwards and a lot of tough cuts. I can see arguments for all the guys I listed in my forward lineup. Defense is a little more straight forward, feel like theres an established top 8 guys or so (RD heavy for sure). Two goalies are no brainers.

Bolded are locks to make the team. Rest of the names listed in the lineup are guys who will have good arguments/ deserving to make the team. Longshots are unlikely, but not impossible one of them might end up in discussion. Also dont look into the line combinations, mostly just listing guys without too much thought on order.

M. Tkachuk
- Matthews - Kane
Gaudreau
- Eichel - Boeser
Connor
- Larkin - Guentzel
B. Tkachuk - Hughes - Wheeler
Miller - Trocheck - DeBrincat
Pacioretty - Pavelski - Rust

Longshots: Tuch, Hayes, JVR, Atkinson, Garland, Farabee, Lee, Nelson, Kessel, Oshie, Kreider

Hughes - Carlson
Werenski - Jones
Slavin - McAvoy
Krug - Petry
Suter - Fox

Longshots: Pionk, Marino, Pesce, McDonagh, Yandle, Faulk

Hellebuyck
Gibson

Demko
Bishop
Quinn Hughes is not a lock; McDonagh is not a long shot.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
If Hughes is playing normal 5-5 time, he will get ripped apart at best on best level. Power play weapon? Absolutely. But he loses so many puck battles and and too often plays from the wall in the defensive zone

Disagree - put him with McAvoy/Slavin, they can make up for his deficiencies.

Hard to get destroyed defensively when you always have the puck. Very few in the NHL can control play better from the blueline.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Quinn Hughes is not a lock; McDonagh is not a long shot.

I agree, although there is likely room for both and they would actually make a good pairing. It's going to be a tough squad to crack though. The player I'm most interested to see if he gets consideration is Pesce. Excellent defensively, plays with Slavin, and is showing some offense. If he makes it you could have two pairs that already play together (he and Slavin and Werenski and Jones). I think there's a lot of benefit to that.

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
I don't think Kessel deserves a sniff at this roster. He's just not the same as he used to be.

Someone I do think deserves at least a look on the bottom pairing defensively or as an extra defenseman is Brandon Carlo. May be more of an option for the 2026 team, but his defensive ability could be a great addition if he played alongside someone like Hughes.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
At this point almost have to really start looking at Jeff Petry as a RD option. He is only getting better with age and his play away from the puck is solid as well. Might be that one guy we aren't really talking about that makes this squad.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
At this point almost have to really start looking at Jeff Petry as a RD option. He is only getting better with age and his play away from the puck is solid as well. Might be that one guy we aren't really talking about that makes this squad.

I think Petry is a very strong candidate for the team and if the team was picked today would likely make it.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think Petry is a very strong candidate for the team and if the team was picked today would likely make it.

I think he is the 8th D-man right now.

He is a guy I have zero worries about stepping in if called on by injury. I know that seems like a slight but Jones, McAvoy and Carlson are all on that right side. It isn't a slight that is a very deep position group. I think Pesce is your other guy pushing on the right, that is why I don't think names like Trouba are in the mix.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
We have a lot of defense options. This is a good problem. I’m going to say that I’m going to be pretty disappointed if Fox doesn’t make this team. I’m not convinced we have more than 3-4 defenseman better than him. I may be biased, but I’m also not pushing any other Rangers like Trouba, DeAngelo, Kreider, Lindgren, Miller to make this team. They don’t deserve it. Fox clearly does.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I agree, although there is likely room for both and they would actually make a good pairing. It's going to be a tough squad to crack though. The player I'm most interested to see if he gets consideration is Pesce. Excellent defensively, plays with Slavin, and is showing some offense. If he makes it you could have two pairs that already play together (he and Slavin and Werenski and Jones). I think there's a lot of benefit to that.

No way on Pesce. Jones, McAvoy, Carlson, Petry and Pionk are clear upgrades.

He is in a B Team group with Fox, Trouba, Marino and Carlo. Much closer in impact
to those guys than McAvoy, Carlson and Petry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad