Olympics: Team USA 2022

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Team USA is really going to have rely on the likes of Matthews and Eichel more than I thought by looking at this roster. You never know with Kane and such, he is always that X-factor, but this is a team that I think will have to maybe out-muscle Canada or out hustle them. Talent alone won't have them win it. I am trying to think where USA has the advantage here. It definitely isn't up front. I would say in net they have the same sort of uncertainty that we do in Canada. On defense they seem pretty good though. This team looks a bit like the 2010 team. USA still has a ways to go to catch up to Canada in the top end talent, but they were an overtime goal away from doing it in 2010 and I thought Canada had the clear advantage on paper then as well. Who knows. I just think Canada is probably has their toughest task with the Americans so I tend to have interest in their roster more than any.

With Eichel you have someone who is going to go into the Olympics having never played a playoff game. Then there is Matthews who despite all of his talent has never set foot outside of the first round of a playoff series and often has himself to blame for it. That might change for Matthews this year, but those two are your big top end talents on Team USA. Kane is probably still 3rd on the pecking order but to be honest he has always been a "gamer" in his career. I'd worry about him as much as anyone on that team.

The rest up front don't match with Canada line for line. I don't think this version of Team USA is at the level of the 1996 World Cup team and that core. I can remember from 1996-2002 always getting a bit of a lump in my throat just looking at the USA roster (although by 2002 I felt less scared). I don't see it with the 2022 team. There isn't that lump.

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
Team USA is really going to have rely on the likes of Matthews and Eichel more than I thought by looking at this roster. You never know with Kane and such, he is always that X-factor, but this is a team that I think will have to maybe out-muscle Canada or out hustle them. Talent alone won't have them win it. I am trying to think where USA has the advantage here. It definitely isn't up front. I would say in net they have the same sort of uncertainty that we do in Canada. On defense they seem pretty good though. This team looks a bit like the 2010 team. USA still has a ways to go to catch up to Canada in the top end talent, but they were an overtime goal away from doing it in 2010 and I thought Canada had the clear advantage on paper then as well. Who knows. I just think Canada is probably has their toughest task with the Americans so I tend to have interest in their roster more than any.

With Eichel you have someone who is going to go into the Olympics having never played a playoff game. Then there is Matthews who despite all of his talent has never set foot outside of the first round of a playoff series and often has himself to blame for it. That might change for Matthews this year, but those two are your big top end talents on Team USA. Kane is probably still 3rd on the pecking order but to be honest he has always been a "gamer" in his career. I'd worry about him as much as anyone on that team.

The rest up front don't match with Canada line for line. I don't think this version of Team USA is at the level of the 1996 World Cup team and that core. I can remember from 1996-2002 always getting a bit of a lump in my throat just looking at the USA roster (although by 2002 I felt less scared). I don't see it with the 2022 team. There isn't that lump.
In my mind there are 8 “match winners” in the world right now, the USA has 2 of them with Matthews and Kane

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Huh? Hellebuyck and Gibson are better than anybody on Canada in goal. Our D-core is better too. Agree that we are covered up front, but I haven't gone into a game at that level thinking we were ahead in position groups the same way. This is much closer to the WJC level lately where they can play with them more and more often, it seems we are seeing that likely to translate up for the first time in a while. At least that is the hope as a USA fan.

Kane is playing at an MVP caliber right now. He is carrying the Hawks to a playoff spot. I think people aren't paying enough attention to what DeBrincat and Kane are doing. They are doing it together too something that will happen in the next tournament. We can put his running mate with him. He is likely the captain of the team, which is strange to me, especially as someone that saw him on a bitter rival when he was younger, along with some of the off-ice stuff. But to sleep on Kane isn't wise, he is a HHOF guy, perhaps the greatest American hockey player ever. To have him surrounded by more talent guys like Matthews means a lot to where we are development wise to have multiple game changing superstars.

Last edited:
Reactions: PullHard

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I do think chris kreider deserves a spot on the roster.

I like him, him and Larkin have had chemistry when together at the World Championships in my opinion. Also have been good pk tandem, so a fringe special teams benefit. I just think ultimately he is outgunned for a spot. That is actually a good sign, a player of Kreider's caliber never used to be left at home for something like this. But I won't be upset if Kreider does make it. He offers a lot as a player. He plays a consistent, hard game with a lot of pace. But there is just a lot more talent in the program than there used to be.

Kane, Johnny Hockey, Wheeler, the Tkachuk brothers, Connor, Boeser, DeBrincat we are talking about some good players here. I am curious to see who they name GM and coach, it might clue us in on certain guys.

Last edited:

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
Who are the 8 of them? Just asking as well, what are "match winners" in hockey?
It’s the rough translation of a French Québec term, and essentially meaning like they can win a game on their own based on on skill which can win games of the collectivity of several, and for me the eight the moment Are McDavid, MacKinnon, Crosby, Kane, Matthews, Ovechkin, Vasilevski and Hedman

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

If I was you I would worry about your dumpster fire goaltending, pillow soft defense, and an absurd lack of scoring wingers. Great center depth though.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com

Absolutely terrible takes.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Absolutely terrible takes.

I'm confused, you don't like Kane?

If I was you I would worry about your dumpster fire goaltending, pillow soft defense, and an absurd lack of scoring wingers. Great center depth though.

It all depends. I don't adhere to the lists they have for the Canadian defense. We've got the horses but it is almost as if people forget you can't just pick the highest scoring defensemen and put them on. I wouldn't call it an absurd lack of scoring wingers though. Right now Canada has three wingers in the top 10 in scoring. Lots of centres will be on Team Canada in 2022, but some are too good to leave off.

I'm not sure why people don't give Fleury his credit. Between Price and Binnington and the concerns people have with them why doesn't Fleury get the love he needs here?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Big Phil gonna Big Phil...it is all good we know why he is here trying to diminish this group. He be scared!

USA has the chance at a great team here..Canada is always Canada they will be at the top as well. Just hope we get to see it.

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Since it is Hockey Day in America, I would like to name MY top 10 American Born players all-time -modern era

#1. Patty Kane- GTFO here- he is the best and will be the best when said and done
#2. Patty Lafontaine- He was Kane in an era of Goliaths- his stats are insane- just too injured
#3. Chris Chelios- Warrior- doesn't matter what you think of him, the guy was a warrior
#4. Mike Modano - He was a 50 goal scoring center right out the gate-think Matthews but better skater
#5. Brian Leetch - all around one of the most complete dmen to ever play the game
#6. Keith Tkachuk- was a beast on ice, one of the best snipers of his era
#7. Jeremy Roenick - injuries slowed down what was a HOF career
#8. Doug Weight- crazy slick passing, underrated shot and defense -was excellent all around C
#9. Ryan Miller-amazingly athletic and elite in his prime-was a beast
#10. Mark Howe/Rod Langway - I have Howe above Housley- he was insane - if you never saw him play, I only saw highlights, he was legit. Langway was the Sec of Defense- was a shut down beast..probably needs to be higher.

HM: Tony Amonte, John Leclair, Phily Housley, Tim Thomas, Bill Guerin, Kevin Stevens, Derian Hatcher, Mike Richter, Brian Rafalski, Neal Broten, Joe Mullen, Dave Christian, ...

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Updated look at my Team USA from last summer after the bubble playoffs and a good portion of the 2021-22 season:

Forwards (x14):

Alex DeBrincat - Auston Matthews - Patrick Kane
Kyle Connor - Jack Eichel - Matthew Tkachuk
Jake Guentzel - Dylan Larkin - Blake Wheeler
J.T. Miller - Vincent Trocheck - Brock Boeser
Max Pacioretty
Extra: Chris Kreider

Defense (x8):

Jaccob Slavin - Charlie McAvoy
Ryan McDonagh - John Carlson
Zach Werenski - Seth Jones
Jeff Petry
Extra: Adam Fox

Goalies (x3):

Connor Hellebuyck
John Gibson
Thatcher Demko

Head Coach:

Peter Laviolette
Notes:
  • Definitely a gold medal contender and easily the deepest player pool we've had.
  • Forwards
    • Probably the deepest forward group we've ever had to choose from. You could make very strong cases for two dozen-plus forwards in my opinion.
    • In past tournaments, the controversy would revolve around a flawed but talented player (i.e. Kessel) being left home for a player that shouldn't have even been in consideration (i.e. Dubinsky). It's USAH, so a player that shouldn't be in contention probably will be, but this team would be leaving behind a lot of players that would have been on most of our prior teams.
    • Some veterans are having resurgent years like JVR, Pavelski, Brown, etc., but I don't think it's sustainable enough to have them truly in play over better, more versatile veterans like Wheeler and Pacioretty.
    • I'm most interested to see how some of the big, young guys progress over the next year. Guys like Brady Tkachuk, Alex, Tuch, Jordan Greenway, etc. are just starting to scratch the surface.
    • Some other guys I gave a lot of consideration to include Brady Tkachuk, Alex Tuch, Johnny Gaudreau, Bryan Rust, Brock Nelson, Conor Garland, Christian Dvorak, Kevin Hayes, Cam Atkinson, etc.
  • Defense
    • We have a ton of RHD depth. McAvoy, Carlson, and Jones should be locks, Petry just continues to produce as one of the most-underrated d-men in the NHL, Fox is proving his rookie season was just the start as he's one of the best young d-men in the league and in a year it may not be possible to keep him out of the starting lineup. Then you also have Pesce, who is one of the best shutdown d-men in the league, guys like Faulk having resurgent years, or someone like Pionk proving his first season in Winnepeg wasn't a fluke, etc.
    • Our LHD depth, on the other hand, isn't great as the guys are either very old (i.e. Suter) or still really young (i.e Hughes). Slavin is a top 10 d-man though and one of the most underappreciated players in the NHL. McDonagh's offensive output of a few years ago probably isn't coming back, but he's still a top defensive defenseman and would be a veteran presence.
    • Like Quinn Hughes, Werenski is a rover, but his added experience, size, and familiarity with Jones wins out for now.
    • I could see the staff though putting an RHD at LHD though over someone like Werenski if they're comfortable with it.
    • Some other guys I have a lot of consideration to include Brett Pesce, Quinn Hughes, Ryan Suter, Justin Faulk, Neal Pionk, Torey Krug, Connor Murphy, Nate Schmidt, etc.
  • Goalies
    • Our shallowest group for sure. Hellebuyck and Gibson are both Vezina-caliber #1's, neither plays behind a good defense, and Gibson's been on a trash Anaheim team nearly his entire career, so it'd be interesting to see them behind good teams / defenses.
    • Besides those two, things get a bit shallow as the veterans (Quick, Bishop, Miller, etc.) are either past their prime or injured, and the inexperienced guys (Demko, Petersen, Oettinger, etc.) are still establishing themselves.
    • Right now, I'd go with Demko in the #3 spot, but a lot can change for the younger guys in a year-plus.

Last edited:

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Updated look at my Team USA from last summer after the bubble playoffs and a good portion of the 2021-22 season:

Forwards (x14):

Alex DeBrincat - Auston Matthews - Patrick Kane
Kyle Connor - Jack Eichel - Matthew Tkachuk
Jake Guentzel - Dylan Larkin - Blake Wheeler
J.T. Miller - Vincent Trocheck - Brock Boeser
Max Pacioretty
Extra: Chris Kreider

Defense (x8):

Jaccob Slavin - Charlie McAvoy
Ryan McDonagh - John Carlson
Zach Werenski - Seth Jones
Jeff Petry
Extra: Adam Fox

Goalies (x3):

Connor Hellebuyck
John Gibson
Thatcher Demko

Head Coach:

Peter Laviolette
Notes:
  • Definitely a gold medal contender and easily the deepest player pool we've had.
  • Forwards
    • Probably the deepest forward group we've ever had to choose from. You could make very strong cases for two dozen-plus forwards in my opinion.
    • In past tournaments, the controversy would revolve around a flawed but talented player (i.e. Kessel) being left home for a player that shouldn't have even been in consideration (i.e. Dubinsky). It's USAH, so a player that shouldn't be in contention probably will be, but this team would be leaving behind a lot of players that would have been on most of our prior teams.
    • Some veterans are having resurgent years like JVR, Pavelski, Brown, etc., but I don't think it's sustainable enough to have them truly in play over better, more versatile veterans like Wheeler and Pacioretty.
    • I'm most interested to see how some of the big, young guys progress over the next year. Guys like Brady Tkachuk, Alex, Tuch, Jordan Greenway, etc. are just starting to scratch the surface.
    • Some other guys I gave a lot of consideration to include Brady Tkachuk, Alex Tuch, Johnny Gaudreau, Bryan Rust, Brock Nelson, Conor Garland, Christian Dvorak, Kevin Hayes, Cam Atkinson, etc.
  • Defense
    • We have a ton of RHD depth. McAvoy, Carlson, and Jones should be locks, Petry just continues to produce as one of the most-underrated d-men in the NHL, Fox is proving his rookie season was just the start as he's one of the best young d-men in the league and in a year it may not be possible to keep him out of the starting lineup. Then you also have Pesce, who is one of the best shutdown d-men in the league, guys like Faulk having resurgent years, or someone like Pionk proving his first season in Winnepeg wasn't a fluke, etc.
    • Our LHD depth, on the other hand, isn't great as the guys are either very old (i.e. Suter) or still really young (i.e Hughes). Slavin is a top 10 d-man though and one of the most underappreciated players in the NHL. McDonagh's offensive output of a few years ago probably isn't coming back, but he's still a top defensive defenseman and would be a veteran presence.
    • Like Quinn Hughes, Werenski is a rover, but his added experience, size, and familiarity with Jones wins out for now.
    • I could see the staff though putting an RHD at LHD though over someone like Werenski if they're comfortable with it.
    • Some other guys I have a lot of consideration to include Brett Pesce, Quinn Hughes, Ryan Suter, Justin Faulk, Neal Pionk, Torey Krug, Connor Murphy, Nate Schmidt, etc.
  • Goalies
    • Our shallowest group for sure. Hellebuyck and Gibson are both Vezina-caliber #1's, neither plays behind a good defense, and Gibson's been on a trash Anaheim team nearly his entire career, so it'd be interesting to see them behind good teams / defenses.
    • Besides those two, things get a bit shallow as the veterans (Quick, Bishop, Miller, etc.) are either past their prime or injured, and the inexperienced guys (Demko, Petersen, Oettinger, etc.) are still establishing themselves.
    • Right now, I'd go with Demko in the #3 spot, but a lot can change for the younger guys in a year-plus.

Anders Lee, Brock Nelson, Joe Pavelski, JVR, Charlie Coyle, Saad and Trocheck will get consideration long before Garland.

Also Pavelski has more utility than Pacioretty who is
strictly a shooter. I think if Kreider, Lee and Nelson have
good years they are making the team.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Anders Lee, Brock Nelson, Joe Pavelski, JVR, Charlie Coyle, Saad and Trocheck will get consideration long before Garland.

Also Pavelski has more utility than Pacioretty who is
strictly a shooter. I think if Kreider, Lee and Nelson have
good years they are making the team.

I never said Garland would or would not get consideration before that list of players.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Big Phil gonna Big Phil...it is all good we know why he is here trying to diminish this group. He be scared!

USA has the chance at a great team here..Canada is always Canada they will be at the top as well. Just hope we get to see it.

Not diminish, I think they are the 2nd best team on paper. I just thought, say, 4 years ago that they would have had a stronger core, especially up front, than what they have right now.

Tries to act evasive and play dumb. Yep you are confused about Kane thoroughly.

I would fear Kane in a tight and clutch situation more than anyone else on that team. What is the confusion here? The guy who sits 2nd behind McDavid in points isn't someone who would be the most feared on his country's team?

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
I would fear Kane in a tight and clutch situation more than anyone else on that team. What is the confusion here? The guy who sits 2nd behind McDavid in points isn't someone who would be the most feared on his country's team?

“You never know with Kane and such” “I'd worry about him as much as anyone on that team.”

Great your onboard then. Totally the opposite of what you previously wrote.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad