WC: Team Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Expected, really. If they were of a mind to decline, they would have said so a long time ago.

MiG next.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
I have a feeling that Aho and Teravainen wanted to ask Granlund (and maybe koivu) if they are going and one or both of them said yes.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I have a feeling that Aho and Teravainen wanted to ask Granlund (and maybe koivu) if they are going and one or both of them said yes.
I don't think this really affected their decision, unless they really considered it that much of a given two weeks ago already that the Wild would lose. Not to mention the series could still be ongoing, and even hemming and hawing has its limits.

However, with this duo confirmed, it could be easier to sway our men in Minny, and other possible eliminated parties as well. The presence of talent does tend to draw more talent.

Edit: Teräväinen revealed that he had some minor injury in his knee, and was waiting for an all-clear before saying yes. He got the permission on Friday. It seems more likely that Aho's decision was tied to this if anything. Simply put, he wanted to wait what would happen to his partner in crime.

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Probably not going join the team. Mikko has a family and Granlund won't likely join.
I, on the contrary, wouldn't be awfully surprised if one or even both join. But we'll see.

Depends a lot about his summer training and motivation towards the Finnish hockey team.
There's never been anything wrong with Granlund's motivation towards the NT. When he's declined, he's always had a perfectly valid reason.

Last edited:

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
I, on the contrary, wouldn't be awfully surprised if one or even both join. But we'll see.

There's never been anything wrong with Granlund's motivation towards the NT. When he's declined, he's always had a perfectly valid reason.
But the most probable reason is that if his summer training will deny his participation.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
But the most probable reason is that if his summer training will deny his participation.
If this was a sly way of saying, "he'll give us some cheap excuse because he can't stand Marjamäki", just get out of here.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
Granny had contract issues last year. Koivu is getting older and running out of opportunities. Plus, Denmark is pretty darn close to Finland. I have a good feeling that we get both, but a very good feeling we get Granlund.

Reactions: Retroglyphs

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
If this was a sly way of saying, "he'll give us some cheap excuse because he can't stand Marjamäki", just get out of here.
I don't buy the theory that players won't join because of Marjamäki. I see that either the tournament have lost value and don't give anything to players or it's too big of a risk to get injured.

To first one - I mean they come to play basically for free, so what's the price but just that gold medal? Surgery table? Also I see WHC as a stepping stone for hungry players who are close breaking through to the NHL.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I don't buy the theory that players won't join because of Marjamäki. I see that either the tournament have lost value and don't give anything to players or it's too big of a risk to get injured.

To first one - I mean they come to play basically for free, so what's the price but just that gold medal? Surgery table? Also I see WHC as a stepping stone for hungry players who are close breaking through to the NHL.
My apologies for the Marjamäki barb then.

Now, Granlund's going to be paid around 5.5M for the next three years, regardless of him getting injured or not. He's not in that career stage anymore where he has to prove something to anyone or particularly think about his future.

If he doesn't have injuries and is in a mood to play more hockey, he'll come. Of course, this is not to say he can't have some perfectly good reason to decline, but I don't think he's going to prioritize summer training.

Reactions: MVPGoon

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Since we were discussing him earlier, sounds like Juolevi got an invite to the final camp roster.

Reactions: Mestaruus

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Since we were discussing him earlier, sounds like Juolevi got an invite to the final camp roster.

Great news then. Will be fun to see him EHT games. He just has to play his best now.

Vatanen would be a good addition also.

Him resting New Jersey's decisive game as their #1 defense man means he has more than minor injury so there's 90% chance that he won't come. Let's hope for Nutivaara though, Marjamäki's guy. Last chance to play under Marjamäki like ever probably is a good incentive for him. I don't think that Columbus will recover from a 2-3 deficit against Washington.

Last edited:

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
However, with this duo confirmed, it could be easier to sway our men in Minny, and other possible eliminated parties as well. The presence of talent does tend to draw more talent.

The bait has been set. Come on fishies.

On to another topic, I really liked what Husso showed this weekend and it will be hard for Säteri to take the #1 goalie spot now. However, last year's merits were strong by Säteri, so it will be an interesting battle if we don't get one of the Nashville guys if Winnipeg could eliminate them. Well Colorado could knock them out sooner but I don't think so.

So I'm guessing Säteri gets two games next weekend and Husso one and that may decide the #1 goalie spot.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Him resting New Jersey's decisive game as their #1 defense man means he has more than minor injury so there's 90% chance that he won't come.
Vatanen has a concussion, but apparently of the sort he himself described as "mild". The only kind of injury that can be DTD, but not fixable with local anesthetic shot. So there's actually a decent chance he could get cleared in time. But yeah, I still wouldn't count anything on him.

On to another topic, I really liked what Husso showed this weekend and it will be hard for Säteri to take the #1 goalie spot now. However, last year's merits were strong by Säteri, so it will be an interesting battle if we don't get one of the Nashville guys if Winnipeg could eliminate them. Well Colorado could knock them out sooner but I don't think so.

So I'm guessing Säteri gets two games next weekend and Husso one and that may decide the #1 goalie spot.
In my eyes, Säteri will be the starter - unless Nashville gets eliminated, that is. Husso was solid this weekend, but these young goalies still tend to run kinda hot'n'cold, and he has history of doing so too. And remember last year. Korpisalo was real solid in his EHT showings and entered the tournament as the #1, but in the end, Säteri proved to be the more reliable one. Not that he was stellar, but more even and steady of the two anyway. Plus Säteri did show this season he can be similarly reliable even in the NHL. A couple of good EHT showings won't give Husso the edge here, since he's still "merely" an AHL goalie.

Now, since I mentioned young goalies and Nashville, I must immediately give one caveat to the above statement. There is one fully proven young goalie, who would be our starter, without question. If the Preds somehow stumble and exit early, I wouldn't feel much woe over Rinne skipping as long as Saros would say yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad