WC: Team Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Well, the Marlies appear to be aiming for a long Calder Cup run, so... who knows. On the other hand, Kapanen has little left to prove in the AHL.

And as for our best-case defense, I've been so awed by Hakanpää and bummed by his bad luck that my mind keeps forgetting there are a couple of other potential additions in the Liiga final series too. I'd say we're in a situation where Lehtonen as an all-around defenseman is looking enticing, since he at least has some major tournament experience. Another name that pops to mind is Koivisto. And last but not least, of course, Lasse...

So, while that camp defense looks kinda unimpressive right now, there are still options. Quite a bit of them, in fact.

I don't mind Kukkonen and we know that Marjamäki will ask him. We need few "luuta" players, since we have a good amount of puck moving offensive smaller D-men now. Hopefully it was a false alam with Hakanpää.

Btw I'm sure that they will send Kapanen to Marlies if Maple Leafs get eliminated. One reason could infact be so he can't go to WHC. I'm sure they would rather keep him over there.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I don't mind Kukkonen and we know that Marjamäki will ask him. We need few "luuta" players, since we have a good amount of puck moving offensive smaller D-men now. Hopefully it was a false alam with Hakanpää.
Yeah, defense rolings are my concern as well. Heh, usually we have to wonder which of the interchangeable stay-at-home d-men ultimately gets cut, but right now the problem is more like, where could we get some.

So yeah, Kukkonen comfortably slips into my ideal lineup as well.

As for Hakanpää, I heard he was playing with a hand injury even before getting more banged up tonight. So even if this turns out to be a scare and he's going to be on the ice in order to kill the series, he might still be out of the contention.

And I can't say anything for certain about Kapanen, but the reason I left him out is that my vibe is too that he'd be AHL bound if the Leafs bow out.

Last edited:

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Yeah, defense rolings are my concern as well. Heh, usually we have to wonder which of the interchangeable stay-at-home d-men ultimately gets cut, but right now the problem is more like, where could we get some.

So yeah, Kukkonen comfortably slips into my ideal lineup as well.

True and I think it's going to remain that way for Finland that we won't have a shortage for small puck moving D-men. I guess it's better this way since they say that is the modern way to play hockey. Then just have to hope that we get few goons from Liiga or KHL in the future for stay at home D roles.

I must wonder what happened with Jokipakka. I think he would fit this team. Were the bridges burnt when he wasn't selected for the Olympics? Must be...

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
It´s a shame that Lindbom is out. He may not be NHL player, but he would be a decent option to this level.

I had hopes that Elorinne would have been able to raise his game to this level. But he has looked quite bad this season. The whole crowded Tappara defence hasn´t work this season IMO. Mikkola is one of the best prospect in this. Don´t know if he did a good career move going into Tappara. He has been decent. But everytime I have watched Tappara games he has been outshined by Vittasmäki. Another decent option to play stay at home D in this level. (And nope not Tappara fan. Seen just lot of their games)

stonec

Nov 21, 2011
But the most probable reason is that if his summer training will deny his participation.

Since when did "summer training" become a reason to not participate? It is getting more and more ridiculous. Granlund is a player in the best age, there is no particular reason why he would need more summer training than McDavid. And based on previous tournaments, I'm optimistic he will join.

Reactions: MMANumminen

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Is Granmaster (Granny) coming? Boh, no. But he should, just to make a nice combo with these two other nifty puck movers, high IQ players Seabass and TT though I know - now you start to preach me about these frigging "roles" and line building and all that emblematically Finnish boring stuff which makes me remove the "varmistin". TT-Granny-Seabass (or otherwise) should be sweet and a treat indeed. Also, name "Kukkonen" makes me remove this "varmistin". But then again what would this tourney be without Mr. Grand Old Sweeper Kukkonen from Uleoborg and those frigging northern Stouts.

Reactions: behemolari

Razamanaz

Oct 22, 2017
Northern Hemisphere.
Anyway and anyhow Jonas Andersson of Kärpät - and Ilves and HPK of course! - fame is the Swedish SVT expert-commentator nowadays around in Swedish television.

And he is a honest guy. Something he must learnt in Finland!

And this is what he had to say in the third period between Sweden and Finland (3-7) in the EHT Czechoslovakia-tournament about Marjamäki.

And after he'd been spoken to why so many Finland skip the World Championships today ... nowadays players he known over the years and about the loss of Finland frontiers from NHL this time around:

And remember this not a quote (but it maybe sums it up):

The players nowadays don't want to play a stiff totally restricted play-style after the calculated whiteboard of the coach - they want their freedom to play like they will ... like Jukka Jalonen (the new head coach of Finland) did back when Finland won the Junior World Championships back in Helsinki. Of course with respect from both sides.

Let the horses ... The Lions loose!

För Finland to enjoy ... but for Sweden not so much ... the SVT-jive about Marjamäki is sometime in the third period for those who care!

Ishockey: Carlson Hockey Games - Avsnitt 3: Sverige - Finland

Finnswiss

Apr 28, 2013

Wow, Aho, Täreväinen and Granlund!!! I hope the guys are in form. Aho and Teräväinen know each other very well as they play in the NHL in the same line. I hope Marjamäki will let them play together also in the same line, they have a very good chemistry. They had a quite good season in the NHL and if I'm not wrong Granlund too.

Reactions: behemolari

MoeTheHobo

Jan 24, 2017
Wow, Aho, Täreväinen and Granlund!!! I hope the guys are in form. Aho and Teräväinen know each other very well as they play in the NHL in the same line. I hope Marjamäki will let them play together also in the same line, they have a very good chemistry. They had a quite good season in the NHL and if I'm not wrong Granlund too.
If Koivu comes, I rather see him with Granlund.

Razamanaz

Oct 22, 2017
Northern Hemisphere.
Granlund & Rantanen coming?

Granlund for sure ...

268x0w.jpg

Reactions: MMANumminen

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I don't think Granlund will or should play with the Cane boys. They need more of a role player on that line. Granlund can drive a line by himself.

Finnswiss

Apr 28, 2013
If Koivu comes, I rather see him with Granlund.

Yes, I think you are right. I didn't mean all three together in one line, only Aho and Teräväinen because they already played the whole NHL season together. I don't know who would be the best together with Granlund but Marjamäki will hopefully also find for the Granlund line players with good chemistry.

Last edited by a moderator:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
In principle, I don't like the idea of having Granlund, Aho and Teräväinen in the same line. As player types, they're too similar. That's why I'm hoping Rantanen joins. He'd be a much more fitting complementary piece to the Carolina duo.

However, if Granlund is our final addition... then Marjamäki has little choice. He has to put all his eggs in the same basket and see if MiG-Aho-TT is an unit that somehow clicks. At least to begin with.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011

But who is playing middle? they're all wingers nowadays

In principle, I don't like the idea of having Granlund, Aho and Teräväinen in the same line. As player types, they're too similar. That's why I'm hoping Rantanen joins. He'd be a much more fitting complementary piece to the Carolina duo.

However, if Granlund is our final addition... then Marjamäki has little choice. He has to put all his eggs in the same basket and see if MiG-Aho-TT is an unit that somehow clicks. At least to begin with.

Im sure Marjamäki will spread talent, after all it's only way to be effective in short tournament like this

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
best lines right now:

Teräväinen - Aho - Granlund
Savinainen - Suomela - Palola
Enlund - Niemi - Jormakka
Puustinen - Sandell - Anttila

Heiskanen - Honka
Juolevi - Pokka
Näkyvä - Kivistö

Goalies bla bla.

This is not enough. At best a 4th place for this team.

Finnswiss

Apr 28, 2013
Are possibly players from Kärpät Oulu and Tappara Tampere joining the team or are there no players who could strenghten the team with their skills I mean good enough for the NT at WHC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->