WC: Team Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Final Camp Roster.

So it looks like many top euro names are going to skip, like Lepistö, Hietanen, and Kemppainen. Ohtamaa I guess is still a possibility, and looking at that defense, I'd say we could use him. Even more now since Hakanpää was apparently playing with a broken finger, and then he got even more hurt in tonight's game.

Last edited:

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
No Lepistö?! Who's going to score the goals from the blue line?
Bit disappointed of this finnish roster.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Final Camp Roster.

So it looks like many top euro names are going to skip, like Lepistö, Hietanen, and Kemppainen. Ohtamaa I guess is still a possibility, and looking at that defense, I'd say we could use him. Even more so now since Hakanpää was apparently playing with a broken finger, and now he got even more hurt in tonight's game.

It was sort of expected that in Euro-Olympic year some veteran players will decline. Hietanen has been in every tournament besides World Cup since 2012.

Yeah we really need Ohtamaa. Has been top 3 from our D core in last few WHC´s. But even he has been in five straight tournaments. Hope that he has motivation. Lehtonen was late pick last season and him and Koivisto were in olympics too. Neither really key players. D looks rather worrying.

Reactions: Retroglyphs

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
No Lepistö?! Who's going to score the goals from the blue line?
Plenty of options for that, actually. Heiskanen and Honka, at least. Juolevi possibly too. That's not to say, of course, there wouldn't have been room for Lepistö.

Yeah, this is not exactly the roster I expected us to have when entering the final week of the preparation period. We could sure use a solid addition or two still.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
In my eyes, Säteri will be the starter - unless Nashville gets eliminated, that is. Husso was solid this weekend, but these young goalies still tend to run kinda hot'n'cold, and he has history of doing so too. And remember last year. Korpisalo was real solid in his EHT showings and entered the tournament as the #1, but in the end, Säteri proved to be the more reliable one. Not that he was stellar, but more even and steady of the two anyway. Plus Säteri did show this season he can be similarly reliable even in the NHL. A couple of good EHT showings won't give Husso the edge here, since he's still "merely" an AHL goalie.

Husso and Säteri are pretty close. I didn't see Sihvonen's opinion on the subject until after I wrote that and he also thought Husso #1 and Säteri is a perfect guy giving strong performances from the bench if needed. Going to guess that Marjamäki really values that last year's performance by Säteri and might give him the #1 by a slight edge. The last 3 EHT games might play a role in the decision if Husso and Säteri get all the starts.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Final Camp Roster.

So it looks like many top euro names are going to skip, like Lepistö, Hietanen, and Kemppainen. Ohtamaa I guess is still a possibility, and looking at that defense, I'd say we could use him. Even more now since Hakanpää was apparently playing with a broken finger, and then he got even more hurt in tonight's game.

I would say it is quite likely that Ohtamaa comes regardless of his name being absent from that list. Chosen as the best defender of KHL final series, not bad. Can't say I watched any of the games though.

I wonder how final this list really is. There's Janne Pesonen and Kiiskinen as well celebrating SEL championship now.

Iiro Pakarinen apparently signed with Metallurg Magnitogorsk, so there's no contract on the way if Lehtinen still wants to try to reach him. He would've been a really welcome addition with some leadership and a guy that can score from a bottom line role. He has kids and family though so maybe he already made plans.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Granlund & Rantanen coming?

Granlund maybe, Rantanen seems unlikely, didn't look 100% in the playoffs.

Hopefully we will see most the young guys of defense, on course it's still possible that Marjamäki adds Kukkonen, Ohtamaa, Hietanen and Lepistö there instead.

Reactions: Hockeyfrilla

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I would say it is quite likely that Ohtamaa comes regardless of his name being absent from that list. Chosen as the best defender of KHL final series, not bad. Can't say I watched any of the games though.

I wonder how final this list really is. There's Janne Pesonen and Kiiskinen as well celebrating SEL championship now.

Iiro Pakarinen apparently signed with Metallurg Magnitogorsk, so there's no contract on the way if Lehtinen still wants to try to reach him. He would've been a really welcome addition with some leadership and a guy that can score from a bottom line role. He has kids and family though so maybe he already made plans.

kiiskinen is on the team. pesonen had a cold playoffs.

where is pillu?

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Husso and Säteri are pretty close. I didn't see Sihvonen's opinion on the subject until after I wrote that and he also thought Husso #1 and Säteri is a perfect guy giving strong performances from the bench if needed. Going to guess that Marjamäki really values that last year's performance by Säteri and might give him the #1 by a slight edge. The last 3 EHT games might play a role in the decision if Husso and Säteri get all the starts.
To me, the thing giving Säteri the edge here is not really last year's performance, but his NHL stint this year. It wasn't overly long, but still a decent showcase to his talents. I can't say if he's really that far above Husso in raw skill, but right now he's the most merited goalie we have, and thus the starter job is his to lose.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011

where is pillu?

That's right. Blind me. It must also mean that no Janne Pesonen. They would've announced them at the same time since they are from the same team.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009

where is pillu?
In regards to Kiiskinen, we don't really need smallish puckmoving wingers. We already have Manninen and Rajala, and both appear to be on the track to make it. Adding Haapala is also an option.

As for your second question, you should ask your dad these questions, if he hasn't given you the talk yet.

On a more serious note, he's at home nursing a lower body injury. In a strike of irony, he made it back to Jokerit lineup for the playoffs from his hand surgery, only to injure his leg two games in.

Reactions: Mestaruus

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
To me, the thing giving Säteri the edge here is not really last year's performance, but his NHL stint this year. It wasn't overly long, but still a decent showcase to his talents. I can't say if he's really that far above Husso in raw skill, but right now he's the most merited goalie we have, and thus the starter job is his to lose.

Stupid by Florida not to give him more games after Luongo and Reimer returned from injuries. Stat wise it seemed impressive what he got done from that kind of role.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
So wait, Jokiharju made it? That puts a smile on my face.

Edit: Oh, just the roster for camp. Still decent.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
So wait, Jokiharju made it? That puts a smile on my face.
He made it through the penultimate cuts. Whether he makes it through the final ones is still an open question. Depends on possible additions, his own performance, and the performance of others around him. I'd say he will especially be measured against Juolevi. As of right now, the camp roster contains three U20 aged defensemen (him, Juolevi and Heiskanen, who's a lock), and having all three in the final roster would be pretty unusual.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
We should hope that one of Nashville or Winnipeg ends that series fast, so better chance to get reinforcements. Less chance of injuries like that also. The regular season between those teams indicates that it will be quite a war though.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
After all the news tonight, here's what I view as our best case scenario right now.

Säteri
Husso
Kilpeläinen

Nutivaara
Honka
Heiskanen
Pokka
Ohtamaa
Kivistö
Juolevi
Kukkonen
Riikola

Aho
Teräväinen
Rantanen
Granlund
Koivu
Lehterä
Suomela
Manninen
Hännikäinen
Savinainen
Niemi
Anttila
Rajala
Palola

It would naturally require every domino piece there's left to fall exactly the right way. But hey, after the all the bad luck we've had, I'd say it's time for Lady Fortuna to smile us a little for change...

EDIT: Okay, had to make a minor one.

Last edited:

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
After all the news tonight, here's what I view as our best case scenario right now.

Säteri
Husso
Kilpeläinen

Nutivaara
Honka
Heiskanen
Pokka
Ohtamaa
Kivistö
Juolevi
Riikola

Aho
Teräväinen
Rantanen
Granlund
Koivu
Lehterä
Suomela
Manninen
Hännikäinen
Savinainen
Niemi
Anttila
Rajala
Palola

It would naturally require every domino piece there's left to fall exactly the right way. But hey, after the all the bad luck we've had, I'd say it's time for Lady Fortuna to smile us a little for change...

What about Kapanen, if Boston knocks out Toronto. I wonder if they would send him down to the AHL?

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
What about Kapanen, if Boston knocks out Toronto. I wonder if they would send him down to the AHL?

I just checked and Toronto Marlies leads 2-0. Need 3 wins to end series in AHL if I remember right, BO5.

TheAHL.com

Manitoba 1-1. If Winnipeg and Manitoba would both go out, that unlocks Niku.

They could still be thinking about Pulkkinen. Pulkkinen's team is down 0-2. However they did not even ask Kossila said Iltalehti, so probably no Pulkkinen either.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Well, the Marlies appear to be aiming for a long Calder Cup run, so... who knows. On the other hand, Kapanen has little left to prove in the AHL.

And as for our best-case defense, I've been so awed by Hakanpää and bummed by his bad luck that my mind keeps forgetting there are a couple of other potential additions in the Liiga final series too. I'd say we're in a situation where Lehtonen as an all-around defenseman is looking enticing, since he at least has some major tournament experience. Another name that pops to mind is Koivisto. And last but not least, of course, Lasse...

So, while that camp defense looks kinda unimpressive right now, there are still options. Quite a bit of them, in fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->