U18: Team Canada

Omark

Tesla stock
Aug 5, 2011
Espoo, Finland
Is this even close to be Canada's best possible team? I know they usually don't have all the best guys in U18, but is it like 3-5 guys missing or is this completely a B-C team? Results are horrible so far.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
Is this even close to be Canada's best possible team? I know they usually don't have all the best guys in U18, but is it like 3-5 guys missing or is this completely a B-C team? Results are horrible so far.
They’re missing 11 players ranked in the top 33 NA Skaters by NHL Central Scouting, but they still should be playing better than they are.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
They’re missing 11 players ranked in the top 33 NA Skaters by NHL Central Scouting, but they still should be playing better than they are.
Are you telling me that Canada can’t send three teams to a best on best competition who would each be dominant? Tell me that’s not so.

Last edited:

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
You must come south of the border. You mean dominate.
No, true and loyal maple eating Canadian and one who sees the handwriting on the wall with respect to Canada's presumed, continued dominance of the game. As for the omission in the post, same reflects the challenges of posting while in transit.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
No, true and loyal maple eating Canadian and one who sees the handwriting on the wall with respect to Canada's presumed, continued dominance of the game. As for the omission in the post, same reflects the challenges of posting while in transit.
I don't come across many Canadian fans who are fans of international hockey that presume any dominance going forward and haven't for awhile.

By the way, interesting choice for an avatar for a genuine maple syrup eating canuck. I suspect possible split loyalties. :)

Last edited:

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
I don't come across many Canadian fans who are fans of international hockey that presume any dominance going forward and haven't for awhile.

By the way, interesting choice for an avatar for a genuine maple syrup eating canuck. I suspect possible split loyalties. :)
My late father was seconded to the U.S. Navy for a short period of time just before the planned invasion of Japan. He spent time flying /ferrying Curtis SB2C Helldivers from the east coast of the U.S. to the west coast. My father was on leave awaiting assignment in the Pacific theater when the atomic bombs were dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. My Father use to say that the atomic bomb saved his life and gave me mine. His cousin was not so fortunate. One year younger , my Father's cousin, also an RCAF pilot, was killed on a bombing raid over Hungary in late 1943.

Nimitz was one of the great commanders of Second World War who was a true example of the proverbial Profile in Courage. There are far worse choices for an avatar.

As for Canada's tenuous hold at the pinnacle of our national game, I would only note that in the early 1990's I predicted that within a generation the United States would be our equal in hockey. That prediction was met with derision and laughter. My section prediction at that time, that the U.S. would pass us at a gallop within two generations, had my contemporaries questioning my sanity. Some 30 years later, I stand by those seemingly radical predications. In fact, in another 10 years, it will the Americans that will be able to send multiple teams to best on best tournaments, with each of those teams being able to viably compete for the championship. It's all in the demographics. And it's inevitable.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
My late father was seconded to the U.S. Navy for a short period of time just before the planned invasion of Japan. He spent time flying /ferrying Curtis SB2C Helldivers from the east coast of the U.S. to the west coast. My father was on leave awaiting assignment in the Pacific theater when the atomic bombs were dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. My Father use to say that the atomic bomb saved his life and gave me mine. His cousin was not so fortunate. One year younger , my Father's cousin, also an RCAF pilot, was killed on a bombing raid over Hungary in late 1943.

Nimitz was one of the great commanders of Second World War who was a true example of the proverbial Profile in Courage. There are far worse choices for an avatar.

As for Canada's tenuous hold at the pinnacle of our national game, I would only note that in the early 1990's I predicted that within a generation the United States would be our equal in hockey. That prediction was met with derision and laughter. My section prediction at that time, that the U.S. would pass us at a gallop within two generations, had my contemporaries questioning my sanity. Some 30 years later, I stand by those seemingly radical predications. In fact, in another 10 years, it will the Americans that will be able to send multiple teams to best on best tournaments, with each of those teams being able to viably compete for the championship. It's all in the demographics. And it's inevitable.
In case there was any misunderstanding, I think your avatar is sharp.

Also.............my grandfathers brother was killed as part of a bomber group in Europe during WW2 Buried in Holland.

Last edited:

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
In case there was any misunderstanding, I think your avatar is sharp.

Also.............my grandfathers brother was killed as part of a bomber group in Europe during WW2 Buried in Holland.
The Greatest Generation.

Reactions: jj cale

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England

What is your definition of a generation?

Because since the the 90s when you made this prediction, Canada has won 5 of the 6 best on best tournaments and 10 of the 23 u20 tournaments (6 more than anyone else, and 3 of the last 4).

Certainly it will take more generations at this rate, especially with the absolute player factory western Canada has become recently; the USA has certainly made strides in player development in this generation (I think they’ve surpassed the nordic countries comfortably and are close to passing russia if they already haven’t), but they’ve yet to produce a generational talent and are known for underperforming at senior international events whether best on best or not

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011

Very well. You weren’t the only one with the crystal ball. 1996 did it for me. The talent in North America is phenomenal and Canada now will have some battle taking on its Neighbour.
anyone who says otherwise has their head in the sand.cheers

Reactions: ChesterNimitz

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Liked this post but the ending is still questionable as Canada still is #1 in the world and rightly so.

Maybe I'm nitpicking here but 30 years seems to be more than a generation of players as well.

Reactions: ORRFForever

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
What is your definition of a generation?

Because since the the 90s when you made this prediction, Canada has won 5 of the 6 best on best tournaments and 10 of the 23 u20 tournaments (6 more than anyone else, and 3 of the last 4).

Certainly it will take more generations at this rate, especially with the absolute player factory western Canada has become recently; the USA has certainly made strides in player development in this generation (I think they’ve surpassed the nordic countries comfortably and are close to passing russia if they already haven’t), but they’ve yet to produce a generational talent and are known for underperforming at senior international events whether best on best or not
Add on to that 7 silver and 3 bronze.

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
I didnt know this Canadian team

But

Posters here stating that this is the best Canadian team ever !!!

Those posters know less then me

We need to stop stating “this is the best team we ever put together” garbage

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Liked this post but the ending is still questionable as Canada still is #1 in the world and rightly so.

Maybe I'm nitpicking here but 30 years seems to be more than a generation of players as well.
If demographics were the only determining factor, the U.S. would dominate soccer and they do not.

Last edited:
Reactions: wetcoast

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Canada has struggled at this tournament for as long as it has been around and we've done just fine at other levels.

We'll be just fine.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Sure, I definitely stated it was the best team Canada has taken in a while (minus the covid/ohl lockout year), and it was the most talented team at the u18s for Canada in quite a few years.

I think we would have stacked up well against the Americans (with a healthy Bjarnson), they've had a pretty easy schedule through the tournament with one of the easiest round robin groups I've seen. But the Swedes have a strong roster and game plan this year, I'm looking forward to the final.

Reactions: PecnoTrunk

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
Question to all regarding Ethan gauthier , I’m assuming he would have played for Canada if he wasn’t in the playoffs in Quebec (even though he was born in USA he basically grew up in Quebec )

What other notable players were we missing ? Other then Fantilli and bedard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad