WC: Team Canada Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
There is no reason to rank this team below other teams in the tournament based on talent. Canada is bringing a solid group, just like USA (edit: whoops) and a few other countries. Russia isn't even bringing basically half of its best this year. I will say that Canada tends to perform below its talent level at this tournament (see 2012, 2013 and even 2017 in recent years) so we will just have to wait and see. The defence really could have used one veteran top end defenceman to push everyone else down a slot. In any event I think that we should be happy with this team. McDavid alone makes the roster a success in my eyes as it gets him potentially valuable experience leading a team internationally and really, we very rarely see Canadian players of his calibre at this tournament. Having Barzal, one of Canada's best young forwards, further pleases me. Even if Canada loses I will be quite content with this edition of the tournament provided that those two players get decent experience.

They should switch Beauvillier with O'Reilly, and put O'Reilly at center position, move Schenn to wing and keep the Beau-Barzal-Eberle line together.

I half agree with this. I would prefer O'Reilly over Schenn in a centre spot, but I also think that Barzal and Eberle are going to need defensive cover and O'Reilly is ideal for that. I even specifically said a few pages back that I hoped for an O'Reilly - Barzal - Eberle line.

I'm curious about the thirteenth Canadian forward spot. Usually someone would have reported something by now. Given that the team is already in Europe I can only think of two possibilities. One, they are talking with Marner but giving him some extra time given that his series just finished. Two, they are waiting for the second round to finish. If they are waiting for the second round to finish I have low expectations. Looking at each series, Pittsburgh has no particularly noteworthy Canadian forward other than Crosby, and that seems very unlikely. Washington doesn't have anyone worth adding. Boston has Marchand and Bergeron, but each refused last year so I don't see them coming right after the second round. Tampa has Stamkos who is probably not at full health, but Point may be an option. Las Vegas doesn't have any especially big name forwards to add. San Jose only realistically has Couture and he never comes for this tournament. Winnipeg has Scheifele, but he's been unhealthy this year and has already played in this tournament several times. Nashville has Johansen I guess but he seems to have no interest in coming to this tournament.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpoolCat and jaro

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
There is no reason to rank this team below other teams in the tournament based on talent. Canada is bringing a solid group, just like USA (edit: whoops) and a few other countries. Russia isn't even bringing basically half of its best this year. I will say that Canada tends to perform below its talent level at this tournament (see 2012, 2013 and even 2017 in recent years) so we will just have to wait and see. The defence really could have used one veteran top end defenceman to push everyone else down a slot. In any event I think that we should be happy with this team. McDavid alone makes the roster a success in my eyes as it gets him potentially valuable experience leading a team internationally and really, we very rarely see Canadian players of his calibre at this tournament. Having Barzal, one of Canada's best young forwards, further pleases me. Even if Canada loses I will be quite content with this edition of the tournament provided that those two players get decent experience.

I half agree with this. I would prefer O'Reilly over Schenn in a centre spot, but I also think that Barzal and Eberle are going to need defensive cover and O'Reilly is ideal for that. I even specifically said a few pages back that I hoped for an O'Reilly - Barzal - Eberle line.

I'm curious about the thirteenth Canadian forward spot. Usually someone would have reported something by now. Given that the team is already in Europe I can only think of two possibilities. One, they are talking with Marner but giving him some extra time given that his series just finished. Two, they are waiting for the second round to finish. If they are waiting for the second round to finish I have low expectations. Looking at each series, Pittsburgh has no particularly noteworthy Canadian forward other than Crosby, and that seems very unlikely. Washington doesn't have anyone worth adding. Boston has Marchand and Bergeron, but each refused last year so I don't see them coming right after the second round. Tampa has Stamkos who is probably not at full health, but Point may be an option. Las Vegas doesn't have any especially big name forwards to add. San Jose only realistically has Couture and he never comes for this tournament. Winnipeg has Scheifele, but he's been unhealthy this year and has already played in this tournament several times. Nashville has Johansen I guess but he seems to have no interest in coming to this tournament.

Telegin and Nichushkin (OG18 champs) not play in WC too .

NATE still can go in these tournament ?
What do you think?
He always accept invite

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Telegin and Nichushkin (OG18 champs) not play in WC too .

NATE still can go in these tournament ?
What do you think?
He always accept invite

I don't think that MacKinnon will go. The team already arrived in Europe and he isn't there even though his team was eliminated from the playoffs almost one week ago.

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
I don't think that MacKinnon will go. The team already arrived in Europe and he isn't there even though his team was eliminated from the playoffs almost one week ago.
It means Hockey Canada can add some players afters 2 round SC
Like Ellis in 2016

jaro

Mar 31, 2018
What a disappointment this team is. If it wasn’t for MCDavid they would have no hope of getting a medal.
I thing this team is very strong. I like this roster and i thing in this tourname t they are favorit to the gold medal

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Some people here are so damn dramatic. Canada right now has the best team of the tournament on paper, even if the goaltending looks weak. Does not mean that Canada will medal, especially since they often underperform, but right now they are a strong contender for gold.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I doubt it. They usually don’t accept invites after the second round.

usually, but it wouldn't be unprecedented to bring in 1 or 2 players after the 2nd. rd, with the tourney already in progress. What if they don't register name Dipietro, but wait a few days to see if a NHL#1 goalie wants to come in (unlikely at this point) late. Jones/Murray/Holtby/Fluery. bringing over late another forward and established D-man would be a smart move. there are a few 19-20 year old rookies on this team that shouldn't get their noses all out of joint if they see the press box for a few games. much the same as Schenn did in Prague 2015 when Sid checked in late. And Schenn was more of an NHL established player than a few of these 19-20 year old rookies. I'm talking about PLD and Beauvillier.

Last edited:

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Always like this tournament, Team Canada will be fine even if there are some good players who won't be playing.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
You might want to checck the Swedish defense.

Does not mean that Canada will medal, especially since they often underperform, but right now they are a strong contender for gold.

Canada are clearly the number one favorites to win this tournament at the moment.

I am really looking fwd to seeing what McDavid and Barzal can do with more ice to play with.

McDavid was a disappointment in 2016. He wasn't nearly as aggressive in challenging defensemen as he was in the NHL in his rookie season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad