WC: Team Canada Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Did somebody watch the game? How did McDavid’s line mesh? And how about PP units?

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Did somebody watch the game? How did McDavid’s line mesh? And how about PP units?
They switched Schwartz to McDavid's line for the 3rd. The line was quite good, McDavid and Nuge showed some chemistry but mostly due to McDavid being the standout best player on the ice. I don't think Canada had a powerplay in the game.

Reactions: Bobby G and migi

migi

Feb 25, 2015
They switched Schwartz to McDavid's line for the 3rd. The line was quite good, McDavid and Nuge showed some chemistry but mostly due to McDavid being the standout best player on the ice. I don't think Canada had a powerplay in the game.

Thx.

I kind of thought Bailey would not mesh with them. McDavid and RNH need more north-south type of player with them with fast wheels and shooting mentality. Schwartz might be the best option.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018

I didn't watch the entire thing, but what I saw, wasn't bad. The whole team definitely needs to work on chemistry though. There were some changed during the game, McDavid ended up playing with Schwartz instead of Bailey in the third period and they looked much better.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
nice tune-up. now on to the real deal. I'd still like 1 or 2 significant adds once the 2nd. rd. is done. Pageau looks as though he had himself a game. wasn't really a fan of him getting an invite, but I hope he gets on a hot streak here for a couple of weeks the way he did a few years back for the Sens.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I started raving about McDavid to my workmates in the summer of 2015 when I read all the praise from Gretzky & co. They told me that I shouldn't believe the hype cause every year there's someone who's touted as the new superstar. Then I watched him play in the NHL and before the Worlds I told one of my workmates that just wait till you see him play in Russia and your jaw will drop. McDavid's performance in that tournament made me look like an idiot cause he really wasn't nearly as special as he'd been in the NHL.

But my workmate has seen him play in the NHL since then, and he's had to concede that McDavid is a little bit better than your average #1 overall pick.
I suppose you are right but he was only 18 on a pretty veteran team, he brought his best when it most mattered though.

He's the leader on this team this year , let's see how he does in that role.

Reactions: snipes

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
I suppose you are right but he was only 18 on a pretty veteran team

He was 19 and he was already the best player on that team. It just didn't really show on the ice. It almost looked like his main goal was to avoid getting injured. In the World Cup it was a different story.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
He was 19 and he was already the best player on that team. It just didn't really show on the ice. In the World Cup it was a different story.
o.k, he was 19, but I don't think we are gonna quibble about one year, he was still just a kid. I will agree with you he didn't blow away the competition that year.

Still, when it was money time he delivered and thats not something you see from many 19 year olds at this tournament.

Who was the last guy to do that?........Crosby?

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
Still, when it was money time he delivered and thats not something you see from many 19 year olds at this tournament.

Mikael Granlund was the leading player at the age of 19 when Finland won gold in 2011. But he still wasn't ready to play in the NHL even two years later.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Mikael Granlund was the leading player at the age of 19 when Finland won gold in 2011. But he still wasn't ready to play in the NHL even two years later.
Ah yes, you have jogged my memory on that. Yeah, he had one hell of a tournament. I guess the lasting image of him was that lacrosse goal he scored...............and it was in THEE money game too!!

It was a ballsy play.

Reactions: Lepardi

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
The tournament being so huge in Finland, in Finnish culture that goal is one of those "where were you when" moments.
It was a great moment and I'm not from Finland.

I remember watching the game and seeing him do that and I came out of my seat...............especially seeing it against Russia.

That always warms the cockles of my heart

Malcolm

Apr 6, 2016
o.k, he was 19, but I don't think we are gonna quibble about one year, he was still just a kid. I will agree with you he didn't blow away the competition that year.

I was in Russia in 2016 for most of Canada’s games. Taylor Hall was the best player for Canada hands down. McDavid was deferring to everybody else and was passing at every opportunity. Did same thing today. Needs to be a bit more selfish.

Reactions: jj cale

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
Appears to be a great Game from Horvat. Looks to 2 Primary assists on Duboi and McDavids goal, as well as 2 more goals from that line (assuming while he was on?), for a +4 on 6 goals? Very nice!

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I was in Russia in 2016 for most of Canada’s games. Taylor Hall was the best player for Canada hands down. McDavid was deferring to everybody else and was passing at every opportunity. Did same thing today. Needs to be a bit more selfish.
I agree.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012

we're going to have to deal with that for a while. can you imagine what he's going to be like when he gets his first opportunity to play with the Big Boys at a real tournament? Yes, Mr. Crosby. No, Mr. Crosby. Yes, Mr. Tavares...and etc. etc.

it's who he is. gotta love him.

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
Marner turns down Hockey Canada invite for world championship

"
The Canadians didn’t get their man.
At least, not in the case of Mitch Marner.
Hockey Canada wanted to add the Maple Leafs winger for the world hockey championship in Denmark, but after a weekend of hemming and hawing, Marner turned down the invitation.
Marner wanted to go, but decided in the end to heal from bumps and bruises that came with being the Leafs’ best player in an intense first-round series against the Boston Bruins. Marner led Toronto, which lost in seven games to Boston, in scoring with nine points (two goals and seven assists) in the series.
At the 2017 world championship, Marner had 12 points (four goals and eight assists) in 10 games for Canada, which took silver.
After Marner declined the invite, Hockey Canada on Monday named Colorado Avalanche forward Tyson Jost to its roster.
Canada opens the 2018 worlds on Friday against the United States. "

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
we're going to have to deal with that for a while. can you imagine what he's going to be like when he gets his first opportunity to play with the Big Boys at a real tournament? Yes, Mr. Crosby. No, Mr. Crosby. Yes, Mr. Tavares...and etc. etc.

it's who he is. gotta love him.

Good thing McDavid already had the chance to play for Canada at the best on best level at the 2016 World Cup.

Marner turns down Hockey Canada invite for world championship

"
The Canadians didn’t get their man.
At least, not in the case of Mitch Marner.
Hockey Canada wanted to add the Maple Leafs winger for the world hockey championship in Denmark, but after a weekend of hemming and hawing, Marner turned down the invitation.
Marner wanted to go, but decided in the end to heal from bumps and bruises that came with being the Leafs’ best player in an intense first-round series against the Boston Bruins. Marner led Toronto, which lost in seven games to Boston, in scoring with nine points (two goals and seven assists) in the series.
At the 2017 world championship, Marner had 12 points (four goals and eight assists) in 10 games for Canada, which took silver.
After Marner declined the invite, Hockey Canada on Monday named Colorado Avalanche forward Tyson Jost to its roster.
Canada opens the 2018 worlds on Friday against the United States. "

That makes sense. I thought that Hockey Canada was either waiting for Marner or for the completion of round two, so when Jost was randomly added the latter option seemed unlikely.

Weber's Better
Jul 7, 2008
What are the lines looking like? Sounds like these were two of them

Schwartz- McCaptain - RNH
Dubois - Horvat - Pageau

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad