Team Canada at the 2018 Winter Olympics

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I don't know about Canada, but usually it's all in the structure and financial support. It's not like you can't you just can't find the guys.

and that's what is bizarre.
Alpine Canada pumps (or it did), a lot of money
we've got people who land on the podium on the circuit.
then it's show time and pooof.... Canada vanishes.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
27 medals and potentially only 2 in hockey/curling combined...that's a shocker.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
Why are you grouping his circuit wins with the Olympics when I was specifically talking about his performance at the Olympics? I even said he has never translated his circuit success into the Olympics. He’s never podiumed at the Olympics.
World Championships, not World Cup. In the ski world, the World Championships are considered pretty close to the Olympics. And how can 4th, 5th and 5th at the Olympics be considered a negative? Compare those results with his World Cup season standings.
Erik Guay - Wikipedia

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
World Championships, not World Cup. In the ski world, the World Championships are considered pretty close to the Olympics. And how can 4th, 5th and 5th at the Olympics be considered a negative? Compare those results with his World Cup season standings.
Erik Guay - Wikipedia

He’s never won an Olympic medal despite all his success elsewhere. You can qualify it with different things but at the end of the day that’s the bottom line.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He’s never won an Olympic medal despite all his success elsewhere. You can qualify it with different things but at the end of the day that’s the bottom line.

He has 24 podiums in 15 years on the World Cup and hundreds of races. 4th-4th-5th in the Olympics is a fine result there relative to his career results, especially in a sport where the results can be so randomized due to conditions.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
and that's what is bizarre.
Alpine Canada pumps (or it did), a lot of money
we've got people who land on the podium on the circuit.
then it's show time and pooof.... Canada vanishes.

"Performs on the circuit" sounds like a bit of an exaggeration. Now I don't follow competitive skiing so I am largely talking out of my ass, but looking at the statistics on Wikipedia it seems a stretch to call Canada anything better than a mediocre alpine nation.

On the World Cup circuit Canada has won 76 races all time. That places them in 10th with 8 more than Liechtenstein and four fewer than Slovenia. However they have less than half of eight place Norway. This is also the 52nd season so Canada would average a bit under 1.5 wins per year (unfortunately I didn't see an all time results for top three finishes).

At the World Championships Canada is 10th all time among men's medals with 10 and 8th in the women's with 18.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
i mean, it happens to the best of us...

edit - sorry, i shouldn't joke about this. if he's driving around drunk it's terrible and a complete embarrassment.

second edit -

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
"Performs on the circuit" sounds like a bit of an exaggeration. Now I don't follow competitive skiing so I am largely talking out of my ass, but looking at the statistics on Wikipedia it seems a stretch to call Canada anything better than a mediocre alpine nation.

On the World Cup circuit Canada has won 76 races all time. That places them in 10th with 8 more than Liechtenstein and four fewer than Slovenia. However they have less than half of eight place Norway. This is also the 52nd season so Canada would average a bit under 1.5 wins per year (unfortunately I didn't see an all time results for top three finishes).

At the World Championships Canada is 10th all time among men's medals with 10 and 8th in the women's with 18.

okay..
but we've had some people land on the podium (which is what i've said) but we don't medal at all during the olympics. it's bizarre!

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
3 medals. We won gold in mixed curling

I made that post before bronze in hockey.

Anyway, could have been easily 30+ if some of our medal contenders didn’t flame out. Can’t win them all I suppose.

Still an outside shot at 30 if Kripps can come from behind in bobsleigh.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Here's my Team Canada review for 2018:

Biggest positive surprise: Figure skating - the judges were fair, the right people won. The Canadian team looked so tight together. Just look how happy everyone is for Osmond here:

Patrick Chan is clapping wildly in the background, Keegan Messing is happy, Moore-Towers is jumping up and down, Moir is pumped, Virtue is her usual bubbly self, Piper is literally crying with joy.

Biggest negative shocker: Curling - obviously. Thank god for Morris/Lawes. I think they need to reconsider how they select who goes to the Olympics.

Where we could have done better: Short track, despite the medals for Boutin/Gerard, needs to regroup because Canada can't rely on one skater of each gender to win all the medals in 2022. Speed skating, despite historic gold for Bloeman, needs to look at how they develop their skaters because no one else is even close to a medal. Blondin was a huge disappointment. Bloeman will probably retire before 2022. There's no one to fill the void left by Hughes/Klassen/et al. Then there are the usual suspects - alpine, cross-country, biathlon, basically anything that has to do with skis and isn't freestyle. Hopefully we can develop some contenders in the snowboard races as well. Boggles the mind how Canada gets shut out of alpine at every Olympics.

Where we did better than expected: I think the luge and bobsleigh teams have shown well. Hope we can take that next step in luge for 2022, and maybe we can develop another contender in skeleton.

Biggest heartbreak: Obviously the Canadian women losing gold.

Biggest smile moment: Virtue/Moir winning gold.

Predictions for 2022: I think 2018 represents a high water mark for Canada. 2022 will likely see a step back in terms of overall medals. If the COC treats it as a transition Olympics going into another Calgary bid, I'm hopeful we can see another surge up afterwards.

Last edited:

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
I made that post before bronze in hockey.

Anyway, could have been easily 30+ if some of our medal contenders didn’t flame out. Can’t win them all I suppose.

Still an outside shot at 30 if Kripps can come from behind in bobsleigh.

Oh ok I didn't realise when you posted it my bad. I've noticed a lot of people (especially Americans who like to flaunt their men's curling gold) have seemed to completely forget about the mixed event.

I'm really happy about the fact that we can't finish worse than third in both total medals and golds. This is huge and we are only getting better.

As frustrating as it is to see other countries taking over hockey, this makes me realise that we are also taking over and developing in the world of sports.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Oh ok I didn't realise when you posted it my bad. I've noticed a lot of people (especially Americans who like to flaunt their men's curling gold) have seemed to completely forget about the mixed event.

I'm really happy about the fact that we can't finish worse than third in both total medals and holds. This is huge and we are only getting better.

As frustrating as it is to see other countries taking over hockey, this makes me realise that we are also taking over and developing in the world of sports.

The women's side of hockey definitely needs to look at how they develop speed/skill as the Americans have clearly passed us by.

The men's side I'm not worried about at all. If we send our A team we win this pretty easily.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
This year, I agree. But if the NHL goes in 2022 I'd be scared of the US.

Well, you can't expect unrivalled dominance forever. There is an upper limit as to how good a hockey player can actually be and how much difference they can make in a 5v5 situation. It isn't basketball where single players can dominate entire games for 40+ minutes. Short of Canada being able to develop 5 Crosby's and 5 McDavid's the gap will continue to close.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
Well, you can't expect unrivalled dominance forever. There is an upper limit as to how good a hockey player can actually be and how much difference they can make in a 5v5 situation. It isn't basketball where single players can dominate entire games for 40+ minutes. Short of Canada being able to develop 5 Crosby's and 5 McDavid's the gap will continue to close.

Yeah, it's just hard to let go I guess. But like I said, as we lose our dominance in hockey, we gain in relevancy in other sports (eg; 2nd-3rd overall in WO medals, winning U-19 world basketball championship).

Canada will be fine :D

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Yeah, it's just hard to let go I guess. But like I said, as we lose our dominance in hockey, we gain in relevancy in other sports (eg; 2nd-3rd overall in WO medals, winning U-19 world basketball championship).

Canada will be fine :D
I actually have no problem taking that trade-off, as long as we don't get completely dominated in hockey in the future.

Hopefully Men's soccer is on the cusp of that (I know we're talking women right now, but still).

With one day to go, probably only one more medal chance in the bobsled. Only 4 events going on tonight anyways, and I'm sure none of our ladies in the 30km cross country are going to be near the podium right? Then it's just the curling gold and hockey gold games.

What an Olympics it's been! I hate the transition after the Winter Olympics because it's a whole 2 and a half years until the next Summer Olympics.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad