Team Canada at the 2018 Winter Olympics

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Kinda OT, but the US is having one of its poorest showings in years so far.

So far the only difference from 2014 is the failed medals in women’s moguls and men’s slopestyle snowboarding . But they clearly are on track to do worse. There won’t be a medal in speed skating this time (there was one in 2014), none in men’s skeleton or bobsled, possibly none in women’s hockey, and will fail in 1-2 of the men’s ski events. It comes down to how well they can do in the remaining snowboarding and parallel freestyle skiing events

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
i dunno why we can't ski (like down hill, cross country). it's so weird
My guess is there are a handful of countries that really focus on those sports, like the scandinavian countries and the Alps countries. It's in their blood, their countries have been participating in those activities for hundreds, maybe thousands of years.

I mean, there is a reason why they're called "Nordic" events and "Alpine" events.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
My guess is there are a handful of countries that really focus on those sports, like the scandinavian countries and the Alps countries. It's in their blood, their countries have been participating in those activities for hundreds, maybe thousands of years.

I mean, there is a reason why they're called "Nordic" events and "Alpine" events.

:laugh: i know that. it just always amazes me especially with the money Canada invested in it.
it's sort of like in the summer prior to last olympics in Rio Canada couldn't swim.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005

Without looking the Netherlands must on average do best between the two Olympics since 2000. They are pretty solid in some of the summer events and they obviously clean up here

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Twenty years ago, we finished the Games with a total of 15 medals. Now, only four days in and we are at 13. Can't wait to see where we will be in another twenty years. Canada has come such a long way in the Winter Games.
Indeed. Hosting the Olympics in your country really gives you a boost if you commit to prepare for it. Of course there are more chances to medal now as well.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
:laugh: i know that. it just always amazes me especially with the money Canada invested in it.
it's sort of like in the summer prior to last olympics in Rio Canada couldn't swim.

Erik Guay's injury is a bummer. Canada had a good chance to medal with him in alpine skiing. He finished 2nd and 1st at the 2017 World Championships.

He's already 36 so his career is nearly over.

Reactions: Uncle Rotter

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
that's a boo :(

Both of Canada's #1 athletes in alpine skiing dropped out of the Olympics because of injuries. Marie-Michèle Gagnon dislocated her left shoulder and suffered a torn ACL to her right knee during a practice before the first competition of the season at the end of November. She already said she would be back for another 4 years to compete in the 2022 Olympics.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
Why do Canada care so little about Cross-country? It should be all means be as popular as it is in Sweden (in Norway it is far bigger so that is exceptional)? Sometimes I think that Alex Harvey is more known in Sweden than in Canada, especially after last season's final in Canada.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
We atleast have people that are competitive in the alpine skiing....They have just never been able to actually perform come Olympic time. The Nordic events are a complete throw away though.

It's a shame because this is where a LOT of medals are handed out. Norway is leading the pack right now in medals and I'd guess well over 80% of their medals come from Nordic/Alpine events.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Why do Canada care so little about Cross-country? It should be all means be as popular as it is in Sweden (in Norway it is far bigger so that is exceptional)? Sometimes I think that Alex Harvey is more known in Sweden than in Canada, especially after last season's final in Canada.

Nordic skiing is very popular in Scandinavia, especially Norway and Sweden, as you probably know. Canada never really had that culture. We don't have a history of people skiing for transportation like people in Sweden and Norway do either, so there is nothing cultural drawing people to the sport. Canadian's care as much as Nordic events as they do Alpine or Biathlon, as well.

Reactions: LiveeviL

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
which is weird. like Beckie Scott won a gold in it, you'd think that would have triggered a "oh hey! i can do that!"

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
It takes a certain type of up-bringing, cultural influence and personality that would make you want to do something borderline torturous as cross-country... not to mention at an olympic level. There's no popularity/glory that comes with it in Canada compared to Europe. So it'll take a very unique and determined individual to decide they want to do it.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
For anyone interested, AP is doing pretty decent with the Canadian medal predictions so far. I'll keep this updated if people are interested.

GOLD

Team Figure Skating
- (Team and Medal correct)
Curling Mixed Doubles - (silver projected)
Men's Freestyle Skiing Moguls - (Athlete and Medal correct)
Men's Speedskating 10,000m - (Athlete and Medal correct)

SILVER

Men's Snowboard Slopestyle
- (gold projected for McMorris)
Ladies' Snowboard Slopestyle - (no projected medalist)
Ladies' Freestyle Skiing Moguls - (Dufour-Lapointe projected gold)
Men's Speedskating 5000m - (Athlete and Medal correct)
Luge Team Relay - (Bronze projected)

BRONZE

Men's Snowboard Slopestyle
- (Medal correct, Athlete incorrect)
Figure Skating Pairs - (Athletes and Medal correct)
Women's Luge - (silver projected for Gough)
Short Track Speedskating - (silver projected for Boutin)

So far there are only 1 or 2 projected medalists that failed to medal so pretty good start for Canada. Overall, AP is right in the neighborhood with all the predictions though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daisy Jane

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Man, if Canada had ANY degree of proficiency in the Nordic/Alpine events we'd crush 35 medals easily.

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Canada should be able to decrease the gap because

a.) there are only a few more biathlon, cross-country, nordic-combined events left
b.) Canada still has close to 12 strong medal contenders in events in that Norway is not a factor or is simply non-existent (Men's/Women's Hockey, Womens/Mens Bobsleigh, Ice Dancing, Female Figure Skating, the 4 remaining short track events, long track mass start, 6 more freestyle skiing events/snowboard events and maybe even women's curling)

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Canada should be able to decrease the gap because

a.) there are only a few more biathlon, cross-country, nordic-combined events left
b.) Canada still has close to 12 strong medal contenders in events in that Norway is not a factor or is simply non-existent (Men's/Women's Hockey, Womens/Mens Bobsleigh, Ice Dancing, Female Figure Skating, the 4 remaining short track events, long track mass start, 6 more freestyle skiing events/snowboard events and maybe even women's curling)

There are still a lot of Alpine events left though...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad