Team Canada at the 2018 Winter Olympics

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
The women's side of hockey definitely needs to look at how they develop speed/skill as the Americans have clearly passed us by.

The men's side I'm not worried about at all. If we send our A team we win this pretty easily.

Why? The only time we "easily" won Gold was 2014 and even that had some close games. Didnt even medal in 98 or 2006.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
We won't. We will always be a top 6 hockey nation, no question.
To me dropping to only a "top 6 nation" would be be almost like being dominated. If the women's game resembles the men's game however, where we are mostly #1 but multiple nations could be considered #1 for a short time, I'd be OK with that. Need nations 3-6 to really make some leaps though.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I actually have no problem taking that trade-off, as long as we don't get completely dominated in hockey in the future.

Hopefully Men's soccer is on the cusp of that (I know we're talking women right now, but still).

With one day to go, probably only one more medal chance in the bobsled. Only 4 events going on tonight anyways, and I'm sure none of our ladies in the 30km cross country are going to be near the podium right? Then it's just the curling gold and hockey gold games.

What an Olympics it's been! I hate the transition after the Winter Olympics because it's a whole 2 and a half years until the next Summer Olympics.

:( i know. (sigh). the summer ones take so long to get here.

trebor204

Jul 3, 2013
Taking into actual medals won (2 for pairs figure skating, 4 for relays, 5 for curling, 23,25 for hockey, etc.) :nod:

Once again Canada wins the actual medal count with at least 92 Medals (So far, 2o Gold, 33 Silver & 39 Bronze). They might have a chance to pick up 4 more in bobsleigh.

Germany is guaranteed at least 70 medals (23G, 11S, 11B) + another 25 in hockey, also have a shot in bobsleigh
Norway so far has 66 (25G, 23S, 18B), have a shot for more in Women's Cross-Country
USA so far has 61 (36G, 9S, 16B)
'Russia' has 56 (1, 18, 12) + another 25 in hockey

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Taking into actual medals won (2 for pairs figure skating, 4 for relays, 5 for curling, 23,25 for hockey, etc.) :nod:

Once again Canada wins the actual medal count with at least 92 Medals (So far, 2o Gold, 33 Silver & 39 Bronze). They might have a chance to pick up 4 more in bobsleigh.

Germany is guaranteed at least 70 medals (23G, 11S, 11B) + another 25 in hockey, also have a shot in bobsleigh
Norway so far has 66 (25G, 23S, 18B), have a shot for more in Women's Cross-Country
USA so far has 61 (36G, 9S, 16B)
'Russia' has 56 (1, 18, 12) + another 25 in hockey
Interesting metric. I mean it's hard to equate the worst player on the German hockey teams medal to that of an individual athlete, but I like the spirit of it.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
To me dropping to only a "top 6 nation" would be be almost like being dominated. If the women's game resembles the men's game however, where we are mostly #1 but multiple nations could be considered #1 for a short time, I'd be OK with that. Need nations 3-6 to really make some leaps though.

That's a tall ask. I mean, there hasn't been another nation in the men's side that has taken that next leap to join the Super 6 right? I mean, even Slovakia had to get merged into the World Team in the World Cup right?

Switzerland, Germany, Denmark, etc., none of these are going to be expected to beat 2 of the superpowers of hockey to reach a final. 20 years from now, it's still likely to be Canada/USA in women's hockey when it comes to the World Championships and Olympics. It's been Can/USA for all 18 WC and 5/6 Olympics.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
That's a tall ask. I mean, there hasn't been another nation in the men's side that has taken that next leap to join the Super 6 right? I mean, even Slovakia had to get merged into the World Team in the World Cup right?

Switzerland, Germany, Denmark, etc., none of these are going to be expected to beat 2 of the superpowers of hockey to reach a final. 20 years from now, it's still likely to be Canada/USA in women's hockey when it comes to the World Championships and Olympics. It's been Can/USA for all 18 WC and 5/6 Olympics.
Sure it is. I'm not saying I expect more countries to compete for gold by 2022. But within another 20 years would be nice.

trebor204

Jul 3, 2013
It looks like Norway won a gold in Women's X-Country, so Norway and Germany tie Canada's record with 14 gold medals

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
God, no wonder why we're so good at Free Ski.
15 million dollars?!

wow.

Yeah. lol. But if it keeps winning medals it's going to keep getting funding.

Expect snowboard to jump up too given the medals won there.

Feel bad for Harvey.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Yeah. lol. But if it keeps winning medals it's going to keep getting funding.

Expect snowboard to jump up too given the medals won there.

Feel bad for Harvey.

I'm looking at this, and i'm like this is kinda sorta... not good.
I would be pumping more money into Alpine/Cross Country. I think it will help eventually. and those are the events that draw all the medals.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I'm looking at this, and i'm like this is kinda sorta... not good.
I would be pumping more money into Alpine/Cross Country. I think it will help eventually. and those are the events that draw all the medals.

Yeah, but only Norway is that smart. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->