Team Canada at the 2018 Winter Olympics

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
More than 3 weeks to go, but thought I'd start the thread in any event.

Trudeau is announcing the flag bearer tomorrow (Tuesday) at 11:30 am Toronto time. Personally, I'd say either Kaillie Humphries or Virtue and Moir. But I'm fine with whoever the choice is.

CBC has an article quoting an "international data analytics" company predicting 33 medals for Canada (behind Germany and Norway, ahead of our American friends).

Canada projected to win 33 medals at Winter Olympics | CBC Sports

Looking forward to this - I like the winter olympics a lot more than the summer olympics!

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Can't wait for the Olympics, just love that time. Something interesting on TV every day for 2 1/2 weeks.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Tessa Virtue is such a beautiful woman, great athlete, and superb choice for flag bearer.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
apparently the head coach from the speed skating team got booted for previous perv behaviour. sounds like it was from a decade ago when he was coaching the us.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Keep your eyes on Gabrielle Daleman. She's simply a beautiful woman.
She's also the current reigning world bronze medalist...even with that, she's probably in it tough to win an Olympic medal - but someone to watch.

So, let's discuss medal contenders this year.

The figure skating group has a bunch of them. Virtue and Moir should get either the gold or silver. Other contenders for figure skating are Kaetlyn Osmond, Gabby Daleman, Patrick Chan, Duhamel/Radford (pairs).

Hockey - women's, i hope will get gold. men's i'll just cross my fingers.

We should be able to get a haul from speed skating.

Bobsled/skeleton I think are also looking good.

Curling.

I feel really pessimistic about alpine and Canada's program in general. But someone can weigh in with optimism if they want.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
She's also the current reigning world bronze medalist...even with that, she's probably in it tough to win an Olympic medal - but someone to watch.

The figure skating group has a bunch of them. Virtue and Moir should get either the gold or silver. Other contenders for figure skating are Kaetlyn Osmond, Gabby Daleman, Patrick Chan, Duhamel/Radford (pairs).

Curling.

I feel really pessimistic about alpine and Canada's program in general. But someone can weigh in with optimism if they want.
I haven't followed it closely, but we are always competitive in the freestyle skiing events like moguls and ski-cross/snowboard-cross. Mikael Kingsbury and the Dufour-Lapointe sisters should be medal favorites in the moguls.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Always fun events to watch the Olympics, skiing, speed skating, bobsled and luge are my favorite events. Also one of the Canadian figure skaters, Katelyn Osmond, has a connection to this province and spent a few yrs. living in a town 15-20 minutes from where I live. I don't know her but to know an Olympian has a connection to your local area it's good. Best of luck to all our athletes at the Olympics.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I bought one of the Canadian Team hoodies from the Bay - ha ha so I can wear it while I watch the games. They're actually really good quality and comfortable. I wouldn't wear it outside the house but if you're in the market for a new hoodie, I'd recommend the line.

Something that will be annoying about the games is the time difference. I guess CBC will have their delayed and prime time package like usual. I'm too lazy to look it up but I assume they're sharing with TSN and Sportsnet?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

Curling.

We should be cleaning up in figure skating. I think this is the strongest event. Curling is a given. Speedskating... it will be interesting. in Sochi they were so bad. (compared to standards) and it didn't help that the Netherlands were THAT GOOD. Shorttrack should clean up, but i'm not sure about long.

Ski Cross, Moguls, we should be okay.
hockey medal (woman)

and then there are those sport where you go. "hey that's great" LOL

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Canada in Sochi by Day 3: 7 medals 3 gold 3 silver 1 bronze
Canada in Peyongchang by Day 3: 7 medals 2 gold 4 silver 1 bronze

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
We've lost out some medals from some highly regarded favourites... but every time we've won a medal back with a dark horse!

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
We've lost out some medals from some highly regarded favourites... but every time we've won a medal back with a dark horse!

that's usually canada's strength. like i remember in Torino (and even Vancouver). canada loses a medal - we win a medal no one expected. Canada misses out on a gold, we get some bizarro rando gold medal somewhere else.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Kinda OT, but the US is having one of its poorest showings in years so far.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
13 medals so far. If we could only win a medal in any of the traditional Nordic events...

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
Twenty years ago, we finished the Games with a total of 15 medals. Now, only four days in and we are at 13. Can't wait to see where we will be in another twenty years. Canada has come such a long way in the Winter Games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->