WC: Team Canada 2024

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
With two best-on-bests coming up, I hope Hockey Canada sends the word around that if you're a 2026 bubble player (Konecny, Thomas, Kyrou, Suzuki, Cozens for example) or young up and comer (Byfield, McTavish, Benson, Fantilli), your attendance is expected or highly encouraged.

That combined with it being in Prague hopefully yields a nice turnout.

Edit: This is provided of course that your team misses the playoffs. Didn't realize how firmly entrenched the Flyers are so that excuses guys like Konecny and Tippett.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Roster update. 4 late additions after 1st. rd. PO eliminations. And Bedard declines an invite citing long year and recovering from injury. Disappointing. but that is the way it goes.
Konecny agrees for a shot to play with cousin Bo.
Byfield is a longshot as an RFA, but fingers crossed.

not quite a Prague powerhouse. but good enough to get the job done. depending on who they pick up to coach this team.

B HORVAT​
M BARZAL​
T KONECNY
R FABBRI
R THOMAS​
J KYROU​
A FANTILLI​
M MCTAVISH​
Q BYFIELD
C ZARY​
N SUZUKI​
M JOSEPH​

D COZENS J NEIGHBOURS​

V DUNN​
N DOBSON​
J CHYCHRUN​
T CHABOT​
O POWER​
M WEEGAR​
J WALMAN
C PARAYKO​

C INGRAM​
T JARRY​
J HOFER​
I haven't been following but has Bedard officially declined?

That's not a bad team but I don't really follow the WC all that much as the NHL playoffs are going on.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I haven't been following but has Bedard officially declined?

That's not a bad team but I don't really follow the WC all that much as the NHL playoffs are going on.

Invitations don't get really get sent until once a player's season is finished and a season ending exit interview w/medical have been concluded.

As for not following the WHC because of the NHL playoffs. You do realize that Team Canada games occur roughly between the hours of noon to 4pm EST. You got enough time to get in a nap, make a trip to beerstore to stock up on your favorite brew, come home, cook dinner, do clean up, help the kids with their homework and watch an hour Overdrive or That's Hockey before the puck drops on that evening's NHL playoff action.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Invitations don't get really get sent until once a player's season is finished and a season ending exit interview w/medical have been concluded.

As for not following the WHC because of the NHL playoffs. You do realize that Team Canada games occur roughly between the hours of noon to 4pm EST. You got enough time to get in a nap, make a trip to beerstore to stock up on your favorite brew, come home, cook dinner, do clean up, help the kids with their homework and watch an hour Overdrive or That's Hockey before the puck drops on that evening's NHL playoff action.
Most hockey fans with kids don't have the time to watch hockey at those times but sure I get that some do and will watch the games.

I usually try to watch a bit but the NHL playoffs is what 99% of hockey fans in NA focus on that time of year.

• Love
Reactions: Bijelo

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Its possibly Canada brings someone from the euro leagues, they done it before.

Some options could be Michael Joly, Daniel Carr, Chris DiDomenico and Ty Rattie

Playmaker82

May 2, 2023
Norway
Rattie could be a good choice. As for players on NHL-teams not going to the playoffs (as it stands) there is quite a few we could hope for in the right age-frame.

Bedard
McTavish
Suzuki
Cozens
McCann
Power
Crouse
Strome
Chychrun
Greig
Kartye
Fantilli
Schwartz
Skinner
Chabot
Gourde
Ingram
Levi
Montembault

+++

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Add Bowen Byram to potential Team Canada roster...now that he's with Buffalo.

Although can't say that he beats out any LHD that currently available. We'll see what Friday delivers and who lands where with what SC Contender.
A PELECH (5.750)​
V DUNN (7.350)​
J CHYCHRUN (4.6)​
T CHABOT (8.0)​

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Add Bowen Byram to potential Team Canada roster...now that he's with Buffalo.

Although can't say that he beats out any LHD that currently available. We'll see what Friday delivers and who lands where with what SC Contender.
A PELECH (5.750)​
V DUNN (7.350)​
J CHYCHRUN (4.6)​
T CHABOT (8.0)​

These tournaments aren’t about whose available, it’s about who wants to go, and I doubt Byram wants to go, I think he would like the rest and injury recovery.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
A completely unrealistic roster projection...especially Doughty who has a particular distain for the WHC, but maybe one big fish attracts another and the lure of a future Team Canada Olympic Team is enough for him to agree. But Byfield as a RFA will almost certainly decline. But would love to see what he could do on Sid's RW.

J MCCANN​
S CROSBY​
Q BYFIELD
B HORVAT​
M BARZAL​
T KONECNY
C ZARY​
M MCTAVISH​
C BEDARD​
A MANGIAPANE​
N KADRI​
N SUZUKI​

M JOSEPH D COZENS​

V DUNN​
D DOUGHTY
A PELECH​
N DOBSON​
J CHYCHRUN​
K LETANG​
T CHABOT​
M WEEGAR​

C INGRAM​
T JARRY​
J HOFER​

• Love
Reactions: therealdeal

MatBarzal

Apr 26, 2022
For the last two championships, Canada has been assembling a squad of players who did not get into the playoff, which means that Horvath and Barzal will not strengthen the national team. The choice is quite meager, plus Kairu and Thomas are disqualified.

Playmaker82

May 2, 2023
Norway
Its kind of a 50/50 as we speak to which of these five teams quality for the playoffs. Three out of them will probably do it, while the two others will be open for selection.

Tampa Bay 74p (Cirelli, Hagel, Paul)
Philadelphia 74p (Konecny, Tippett, Couturier, Sanheim, Drysdale)
NY Islanders 72p (Dobson, Barzal, Horvat, Pelech)
----------------
Detroit 72p (Fabbri, Rasmussen)
Washington 69p (Strome, McMichael)

I kind of hope that Philly & Isles doesnt make it :p

Reactions: therealdeal

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
NJD almost certainly out of the playoffs.

Dawson Mercer I think would be a great add to find his game a little bit after a step-back year after a breakout last season.

Still an exciting 22 year old who will reach 20+ goals this year.

Robert Thomas I really think should go and try to have a good showing since he's right in that group of 4-5 forwards vying for a 4th line role for Canada at the 4 Nations/Olympics.

Playmaker82

May 2, 2023
Norway
NJD almost certainly out of the playoffs.

Dawson Mercer I think would be a great add to find his game a little bit after a step-back year after a breakout last season.

Still an exciting 22 year old who will reach 20+ goals this year.

Robert Thomas I really think should go and try to have a good showing since he's right in that group of 4-5 forwards vying for a 4th line role for Canada at the 4 Nations/Olympics.
Unfortunately Robert Thomas is suspended, so he is not an option.

Mercer is in his last year of contract, so thats also not very likely.

Devils is not the best team for Canada, while it would definitely benefit Switzerland (Hischier, Siegenthaler, Meier), Sweden (Holtz, Bratt), Czech (Palat), Slovakia (Nemec) and USA (Hughes) more.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eye of Ra

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Any chance the innocent 2018 WJC members will be cleared and deemed eligible in time for the WC this year?

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
With the Islanders dropping out of a WC spot I pontificated on what other PO team getting bounced in the opening rd. could provide some interesting options for Team Canada. Dallas is the team I settled on and am hoping for a quick exit. Bummer that Thomas Harley is a pending RFA. so unlikely to accept any Team Canada invite. but there's a .05% chance. We'll leave him in for now. tempted to go guns blazing and pair Harley with Dobson on the PP. Might be a beautiful thing to watch.

B HORVAT​
M BARZAL​
T KONECNY
J MCCANN​
N SUZUKI​
D COZENS​
M MCTAVISH​
W JOHNSTON
C BEDARD​
C ZARY​
N KADRI​
M JOSEPH​

J NEIGHBOURS L STANKOVEN

A PELECH​
N DOBSON​
V DUNN​
M WEEGAR​
T HARLEY
C PARAYKO​
J CHYCHRUN​
T CHABOT​

C INGRAM​
T JARRY​
J HOFER​

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
With the Islanders dropping out of a WC spot I pontificated on what other PO team getting bounced in the opening rd. could provide some interesting options for Team Canada. Dallas is the team I settled on and am hoping for a quick exit. Bummer that Thomas Harley is a pending RFA. so unlikely to accept any Team Canada invite. but there's a .05% chance. We'll leave him in for now. tempted to go guns blazing and pair Harley with Dobson on the PP. Might be a beautiful thing to watch.

B HORVAT​
M BARZAL​
T KONECNY
J MCCANN​
N SUZUKI​
D COZENS​
M MCTAVISH​
W JOHNSTON
C BEDARD​
C ZARY​
N KADRI​
M JOSEPH​