WC: Team Canada 2024

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
It won't be a traditional Team Canada Prague Powerhouse but as good as we are going to get in this day and age.

Bedard obliterates Team Canada records for an 18 year old and maybe challenges a few tournament records as well.

Players available and willing by the end of April.

I'm hoping Drysdale is fully recovered.

And suspensions are still in place on 2018 WJC players.

B HAGEL​
B POINT​
D COZENS​
B HORVAT​
M BARZAL​
T KONECNY​
K JOHNSON​
M MCTAVISH​
C BEDARD
J HUBERDEAU​
N SUZUKI​
G VILARDI​

A NEWHOOK D GUENTHER

J MORRISEY​
D SEVERSON​
A PELECH​
N DOBSON​
O POWER​
J DRYSDALE​
T CHABOT​
R PULOCK​

D LEVI​
J HOFER​
M BLACKWOOD​

Reactions: jj cale

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
It won't be a traditional Team Canada Prague Powerhouse but as good as we are going to get in this day and age.

Bedard obliterates Team Canada records for an 18 year old and maybe challenges a few tournament records as well.

B HAGEL​
B POINT​
D COZENS​
B HORVAT​
M BARZAL​
T KONECNY​
K JOHNSON​
M MCTAVISH​
C BEDARD
J HUBERDEAU​
N SUZUKI​
G VILARDI​

A NEWHOOK D GUENTHER

J MORRISEY​
D SEVERSON​
A PELECH​
N DOBSON​
O POWER​
J DRYSDALE​
T CHABOT​
R PULOCK​

D LEVI​
J HOFER​
M BLACKWOOD​
Did you make this team while enjoying your Sunday morning coffee?

• Haha
Reactions: Maple Leaf and SOLR

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

B HAGEL​
B POINT​
D COZENS​
B HORVAT​
M BARZAL​
T KONECNY​
K JOHNSON​
M MCTAVISH​
C BEDARD
J HUBERDEAU​
N SUZUKI​
G VILARDI​

A NEWHOOK D GUENTHER

J MORRISEY​
D SEVERSON​
A PELECH​
N DOBSON​
O POWER​
J DRYSDALE​
T CHABOT​
R PULOCK​

D LEVI​
J HOFER​
M BLACKWOOD​
What is the basis for making a team with so many unproven young guys and non team Canada worthy players like Vilardi, Blackwood, Hagel and Pulock?

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Bringing them into the mix?

I went back and forth all summer from overly optimistic a true Prague powerhouse 2015 edition to a more modest, realistic version typical of what we've been getting the past 3-4 seasons for this tournament. Could revert back to a Prague powerhouse in November if a couple of the big reams get off to rotten starts. stay tuned.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
The tournament is 8 months away and a million things can happen. I'm assuming GS made the list because he's bored.

I think the guy is confused and thinks that this roster is for some hypothetical World Cup Team Canada and not the annual IIHF tournament.

I think you may be a little confused as well. No, I wasn't bored. This roster is pretty much what we have been getting at this tournament for the past 4 years. If anything it is still a little on the optimistic side. But I'm counting on the wives and girlfriends/partners to do a little arm-twisting to get their Prague spring vacay in and we get a true Prague Powerhouse.

There's no better place than Prague in May.

Reactions: MardyBum

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Newhook will be busily playing in the second round at at that time.

What? So you can dream away a late summer morning but I can't?

Unlikely, but sure dream away. My dream is for both Newhook and Mercer to play and then we can bring a Newfoundland kitchen party to Prague and really rock the joint with an ugly stick.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
How many Canadians will be watching Canada take on Luka Doncic and Slovenia at the FIBA World Cup semifinals tomorrow morning?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Luka Doncic is a basketball player for the Dallas Mavericks. He is also the star player for Slovenia's national team and has done impressive things for such a small country (which only has about 2.1 million people in terms of population). Canada and Slovenia are playing in the Quarterfinals of the FIBA World Cup tomorrow, the winner will move on to take on Serbia in the Semifinals.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Luka Doncic is a basketball player for the Dallas Mavericks. He is also the star player for Slovenia's national team and has done impressive things for such a small country (which only has about 2.1 million people in terms of population). Canada and Slovenia are playing in the Quarterfinals of the FIBA World Cup tomorrow, the winner will move on to take on Serbia in the Semifinals.
Cool.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Germany won gold over Serbia and Canada beat USA in overtime for bronze. Good result for Canada who has a legit star in SGA. Olympics in Paris next year should be fun.
Were the best players at the tournament?

(* Sincere question, I truly don't know. *)

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Were the best players at the tournament?

(* Sincere question, I truly don't know. *)
Some but not all. USA is a clear “B” team but still had multiple all stars (just young guys generally). European countries get more buy-in but still some high profile player not there (Giannis, Jokic etc.)

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Some but not all. USA is a clear “B” team but still had multiple all stars (just young guys generally). European countries get more buy-in but still some high profile player not there (Giannis, Jokic etc.)
Are the Olympics more likely to attract Best on Best?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Are the Olympics more likely to attract Best on Best?
Yeah, the Olympics are a bigger deal. Canada qualified for the first time since I think 2000 or so which is good because they’re one of the top producer of nba talent after USA.

USA doesn’t get enough buy-in for a “true” A team other than a couple occasions but still sends a pretty loaded roster most years

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
What is the basis for making a team with so many unproven young guys and non team Canada worthy players like Vilardi, Blackwood, Hagel and Pulock?
Are you confusing the World Championships with the World Cup or something? Those players are very much in line with what we can typically expect for this tournament and in fact Hagel & Pulock in particular would be huge gets.

OP, your roster is very optimistic and would be among the best we've ever sent. Curious why you think players from Tampa will be available?

Also, you have players from Tampa, Buffalo, Islanders, Senators. Surely all 4 don't miss the playoffs.

(I also understand that you can add players after round 1 of the playoffs but I think far more often than not they just solidify the team before then. They aren't going to fill out half the roster with players being eliminated after round 1).

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Are you confusing the World Championships with the World Cup or something? Those players are very much in line with what we can typically expect for this tournament and in fact Hagel & Pulock in particular would be huge gets.

OP, your roster is very optimistic and would be among the best we've ever sent. Curious why you think players from Tampa will be available?

Also, you have players from Tampa, Buffalo, Islanders, Senators. Surely all 4 don't miss the playoffs.

(I also understand that you can add players after round 1 of the playoffs but I think far more often than not they just solidify the team before then. They aren't going to fill out half the roster with players being eliminated after round 1).

My guess is two teams miss and the two are eliminated 1st. rd. So, we maybe only talking about 3-4 players added late. It is a little optimistic. But I find optimism to be more entertaining. I expect we'll see something completely different by mid November. And I'm hoping we have an answer on the fate of the 2018 WJHC players. who is suspended and who isn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad