Olympics: Team Canada 2018 Roster discussion

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I know Bettman said yesterday assume no, but I imagine that just to be more posturing, I wouldn't take it too seriously.

I am surprised by the discussion on tv and online that his statement generated. He and Daly have been essentially making the very same statement for well over year. He didn't say anything new, and yes at least part of his statement is very likely posturing.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
I am surprised by the discussion on tv and online that his statement generated. He and Daly have been essentially making the very same statement for well over year. He didn't say anything new, and yes at least part of his statement is very likely posturing.

That's what discussion on TV and online is man. The 24 hour news cycle killed any valuable information or intelligent discussion. TSN was one of the biggest victims of this, they are just the worst now. None of them are worth listening to now, because they just create stories for the purpose of filling time, so not only does it create stories with no substance, but it drowns out any stories of actual interest when it does occur.

I know people love Bobby Mac and the likes, but they kinda do a lot of pointless work now.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
I don't really care what the NHL says until they give the final word. It surely helps to make it look like they have already made the decision, or that they will not go if things stay as they are now. If nothing else, the IOC will have to think whether they really want to risk it or not.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
That's what discussion on TV and online is man. The 24 hour news cycle killed any valuable information or intelligent discussion. TSN was one of the biggest victims of this, they are just the worst now. None of them are worth listening to now, because they just create stories for the purpose of filling time, so not only does it create stories with no substance, but it drowns out any stories of actual interest when it does occur.

I know people love Bobby Mac and the likes, but they kinda do a lot of pointless work now.

True, as we've seen even worse in the political realm. I'm more surprised that it is being treated by some regular people as new news, though I suppose they may not have been following the issue. McKenzie is quite useful when he gives statements of fact, given that he actually does talk with the parties involved throughout the hockey world. Once he veers into opinion he is not significantly more valuable than a typical poster here.

Hagstrom

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver
So the NHL not participating is official. Does this mean rhe AHL is also not? Is Canada just picking frim their nationals in the European leagues, then?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
So the NHL not participating is official. Does this mean rhe AHL is also not? Is Canada just picking frim their nationals in the European leagues, then?

So far as i understand, that would include AHL players who are on NHL contracts. ie. Players with contractual obligations to NHL Teams. Which is most of the players who would likely be viable options in a tournament like this anyway.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
It isn't unheard of for teams to loan young players out for the Olympics. Just this year Montreal loaned out Fucale for the Spengler Cup. A lot of young Europeans will delay the move to the NHL if they have a chance to play at the Olympic Games now that the NHL is not there. Peter Forsberg did that way back when & it was still exciting to watch.

I'd be fine with Montreal loaning Sergachev to play in the WJHC and the Olympic Games. That would be an incredible opportunity for the kid.

Who knows, maybe Fucale gets another TC invite. There's a good opportunity for some young players to step in and get an amazing chance to play for their country.

I don't see the need to pick solely from Canadians playing in Europe. They should look at the CHL, NCAA & AHL as well.

Hagstrom

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver
So far as i understand, that would include AHL players who are on NHL contracts. ie. Players with contractual obligations to NHL Teams. Which is most of the players who would likely be viable options in a tournament like this anyway.

Ah, ok, that makes sense

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I don't see the need to pick solely from Canadians playing in Europe. They should look at the CHL, NCAA & AHL as well.

I'm with you on this. I think at least a few CHL players will make it, perhaps some of the top 6 guys from the upcoming WJC will go to the Olympics 2 months later as well. Definitely leaves a huge incentive for some of these kids to delay a move to the NHL.

penepi

Jul 6, 2013
Bratislava
Looks like you'll ice something like this:

Matt Ellison - Gilbert Brule - Brandon Kozun
Rob Klinkhammer - Max Talbot - Jonathan Cheechoo
Erik Christensen - Martin St. Pierre - Kevin Clark
Daniel Paille - Byron Ritchie - Chris DiDomenico

Chris Lee - Cory Murphy
Cam Barker - Micki Dupont
Shaone Morrissonn - Daine Todd

Joey McDonald
Danny Taylor
Justin Pogge
I know it is absolutely pointless to make any predcitions at this point, but I couldn't resist as a Slovan fan -- Cheechoo might be retiring, perhaps the Olympics would be a reason why not to, though. But Kyle Chipchura is even a more complex player. As for goalies, Pogge was a total disaster last season; Brust (also Slovan's goalie) has been much better, I believe even better than Taylor and McDonald.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Last non-NHL Canadian roster (1994) looked like this?

Corey Hirsch,
Manny Legace,
Allain Roy,
Brad Werenka,
Derek Mayer,
Mark Astley,
Adrian Aucoin,
Chris Therien,
Brad Schlegel,
David Harlock,
Ken Lovsin,
Paul Kariya,
Petr Nedvěd,
Todd Hlushko,
Chris Kontos,
Dwayne Norris,
Brian Savage,
Greg Parks,
Greg Johnson,
Todd Warriner,
Fabian Joseph,
Wally Schreiber,
Jean-Yves Roy

Who would be the equivalent current player in 2018?

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
what the hell is petr nedved doing on that team?

He had Canadian citizenship and could not play for the Czechs at the time I am pretty sure, I think he was holding out for a new contract at the time too if I remember correctly so he kept hockey sharp this way by playing with the Canadian national team.

He really helped that team, easily our best player after Kariya.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
He had Canadian citizenship and could not play for the Czechs at the time I am pretty sure, I think he was holding out for a new contract at the time too if I remember correctly so he kept hockey sharp this way by playing with the Canadian national team.

He really helped that team, easily our best player after Kariya.

I'm pretty sure that was 1998 dude.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
His contract holdout and the year he played in the olympics?

The year he played for Canada at the olympics was 1994 thats for sure.

Man my memory has been mush lately, I swore that was the care. Indeed I am wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad