Olympics: Team Canada 2018 Roster discussion

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Burns is a lock, there is no question about it for me. Sadly, it makes almost impossible for Letang or Subban to crack the team. They either have to switch to the left side, or be 7th/8th defensemen.

I have an idea, if Subban or Letang are available, why not to try them playing on the left side during the Worlds? I mean, at least you try it and you know how it looks. You can always go back. There are 7 games in group stage + playoffs, I don't see a problem with that. But it's also possible that the handedness is not the only factor why they wouldn't be picked anyway so I don't know.

For fun, I made a best-canadian team according to the PPG: (best 14 forwards and 8 d-men in PPG right now)

Marchand - Crosby - Scheifele
Benn - McDavid - Seguin
Tavares - Carter - Marner
Getzlaf - Toews - Stone
Hall
Kadri

Letang - Burns
Keith - Schultz
Subban - Hamilton
Weber
Doughty

Last edited:

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Young guns the old guys may be checking over their shoulder for in 2018, and perhaps looking up to in 2022, Who have a fair chance to burst out, that fit the "Team Canada" speed and determination game fairly well: Domi, Monahan, Hamilton, MacKinnon, Huberdeau, Ekblad, Toffoli (one of several of these guys hit by a down year this year), Dumba, Johansen, Henrique, Ceci, Couturier, Brayden Schenn, Matt Murray, Parayko, Drouin, Marner, Reilly, Horvat, Scheifele.

Other potential 2022 players (Nolan Patrick, Joe Veleno, etc. not withstanding): Chychrun, Steel, Dubois, Jost, Bean, Chabot, Strome, Reinhart, Bennett, Mantha, Barzal, Beauvillier, Konecny, Fabbri, Morrissey.

Also, please don't pass over Brodie again...

And, lastly, everyone seems to hate on them, and the stats show why, but every time I see Darnell Nurse and Ryan Murray play, they're one of the best defenders on the ice. I guess I've only seen their good games.
I agree with Nurse and Murray. Murray's been good lately and he's still young and developing. I also think that Nurse is going to be one of the best D in the league soon. His play reminds me of Weber.

OKOptimistic

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
How about this team?

Marchand - Crosby - Bergeron
Benn - McDavid - Stamkos
Tavares - Toews - Carter
Hall - Scheifele - Stone

Vlasic - Doughty
Duncan Keith - Brent Burns
Kris Letang - Shea Weber
Ekblad - Alex Pietrangelo

Subs: Seguin, Drouin

Goalies: Price - Holtby - Dubnyk

I have a few young players on this roster because a lot of People say Canada should go young and fast on big ice after what happened in the World Cup with Team NA but I think it's also risky to send young 1st time players to the Olympics so I think you should let them get their feet wet at the 2017 IIHF World Championship. If not guys like Scheifele, Mackinnon, Drouin, and Marner should be left out for veteran players like Getzlaf, Perry and Giroux. Ekblad and Pietrangelo are an exception because I think these are the best defenders Canada has avaliable with not a lot of depth on the left side. Stamkos is still up in the air we'll see if he recovers.

However theres obviously lots a great players left out its very hard to choose a Canada roster as they have the luxury to only bring veteran decorated players and I think it only makes sense to have veteran players as that is the 'Team Canada Way' unlike Team USA where they have no choice but to put youngsters like Eichel and Matthews in the fray cause those are the only players they have.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
How about this team?

Benn - McDavid - Stamkos
Tavares - Toews - Carter
Hall - Scheifele - Stone

Vlasic - Doughty
Duncan Keith - Brent Burns
Kris Letang - Shea Weber
Ekblad - Alex Pietrangelo

Subs: Seguin, Drouin

Goalies: Price - Holtby - Dubnyk

I have a few young players on this roster because a lot of People say Canada should go young and fast on big ice after what happened in the World Cup with Team NA but I think it's also risky to send young 1st time players to the Olympics so I think you should let them get their feet wet at the 2017 IIHF World Championship. If not guys like Scheifele, Mackinnon, Drouin, and Marner should be left out for veteran players like Getzlaf, Perry and Giroux. Ekblad and Pietrangelo are an exception because I think these are the best defenders Canada has avaliable with not a lot of depth on the left side. Stamkos is still up in the air we'll see if he recovers.

However theres obviously lots a great players left out its very hard to choose a Canada roster as they have the luxury to only bring veteran decorated players and I think it only makes sense to have veteran players as that is the 'Team Canada Way' unlike Team USA where they have no choice but to put youngsters like Eichel and Matthews in the fray cause those are the only players they have.

The team is not bad. Seguin needs a more prominent role, and I don't like Tavares on the matchup line. Ekblad also hasn't improved enough to justify himself at the top level yet, even just for the experience. A strong playoff run would do a lot of good for him.

drewstar

Jan 1, 2010
6ix
Benn - McDavid - Seguin
Tavares - Scheifele - Stamkos
Couture - Toews - Carter
Duchene

Keith - Doughty
Vlasic - Letang
Pietrangelo - Burns
Weber

Price
Holtby
Dubnyk

Last edited:

drewstar

Jan 1, 2010
6ix

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
Price
Dubnyk
Holtby

Benn - McDavid - Seguin
Stamkos-Toews -Scheifele
Tavares-Carter-Perry
Getzlaf / Hall
Couture

Doughty-Weber
Vlasic - Burns
Keith -Pietrangelo
Letang
Ekblad

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Price
Dubnyk
Holtby

Benn - McDavid - Seguin
Stamkos-Toews -Scheifele
Tavares-Carter-Perry
Getzlaf / Hall
Couture

Doughty-Weber
Vlasic - Burns
Keith -Pietrangelo
Letang
Ekblad

Perry must be done at the top level. Credit to him for all the times he has represented Canada, but he really shouldn't be selected to play for Canada at any future tournament.

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
Perry must be done at the top level. Credit to him for all the times he has represented Canada, but he really shouldn't be selected to play for Canada at any future tournament.

Perry big patriot for Canada.
I think Perry can selected for 13-nd forward role)

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
It should be:

Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron
Benn-Mcdavid-Seguin
Tavares-Toews-Stamkos
O'Reilly-Getzlaf-Carter
Scheifele-Couture

Keith-Weber
Muzzin-Doguhty
Vlasic-Burns
Pietranglo

Price-Holtby-Dubnyk

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Perry big patriot for Canada.
I think Perry can selected for 13-nd forward role)

That kind of thinking leads to problems like Ryan Smyth on the 2006 Olympic team. I have a lot of respect for Perry's willingness to represent Canada, but an Olympic tournament with NHLers is about winning, not rewarding loyalty. Canada can take a game changer in the 13th or 14th forward role (think Toews in 2010) and would be stupid to not do just that.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Actually, I've been thinking about a team where we would rest all the players that have already won 2 of the past 3 tournaments and we would give the chance to others. I got that idea when I remembered the US olympic basketball team that won the olympics despite resting majority of stars (for different reasons, but still).

Marchand - McDavid - Stamkos
Benn - Seguin - Stone
O'Reilly - Carter - Scheifele
Hall - Giroux - MacKinnon
Couture
Drouin/Marner

Muzzin - Burns
Rielly - Letang
Murray - Subban
Brodie/Giordano, Ekblad/Parayko

Holtby, Dubnyk, Murray

Quenneville, Trotz, McLellan

I'm pretty sure that this team would do well, even though it misses Crosby, Tavares, Getzlaf, Duchene, Bergeron, Toews, Keith, Doughty, Weber, Vlasic, Pietrangelo, and Price.

In no way in hell I want to miss out on icing such a power-house as we can though. It's when you realize that you can add all those 12 players into the roster above, how extremely strong this canadian team will be.

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
It should be:

Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron
Benn-Mcdavid-Seguin
Tavares-Toews-Stamkos
O'Reilly-Getzlaf-Carter
Scheifele-Couture

Keith-Weber
Muzzin-Doguhty
Vlasic-Burns
Pietranglo

Price-Holtby-Dubnyk
'
Why Muzzin? Canada have many better d than him.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
'
Why Muzzin? Canada have many better d than him.
HockeyCanada and Babcock want to have 3-3 in terms of left-handed vs right-handed. The last olympics they even took 4 l-handed (Keith, Bouwmeester, Vlasic, Hamhuis). Also, Muzzin is a pretty good defenseman by himself.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
HockeyCanada and Babcock want to have 3-3 in terms of left-handed vs right-handed. The last olympics they even took 4 l-handed (Keith, Bouwmeester, Vlasic, Hamhuis). Also, Muzzin is a pretty good defenseman by himself.

That's more of a Babcock philosophy than a Hockey Canada mindset. I've always been a fan of Muzzin's game and argued even before his successful stint on Team Canada in Prague 2015 that he's more than just a product of Doughty, and could fill in on the A Team as a decent injury replacement in a pinch. I agree with Babcock's approach for the most part, especially on big ice, but I wouldn't include Muzzin on the A Team just because of the lefty-righty rule. There are a few right-handed D-men who can play the left side that I would take over Muzzin. I was happy he got to play in the World Cup on the A-Team in a meaningless tournament. Still it was the A team, or almost anyway, a well deserved cookie for him for his stellar play in Prague. I didn't watch a second of the World Cup tournament though... how did he do? was he alright?

Last edited:

86Habs

May 4, 2009
That's more of a Babcock philosophy than a Hockey Canada mindset. I've always been a fan of Muzzin's game and argued even before his successful stint on Team Canada in Prague 2015 that he's more than just a product of Doughty, and could fill in on the A Team as a decent injury replacement in a pinch. I agree with Babcock's approach for the most part, especially on big ice, but I wouldn't include Muzzin on the A Team just because of the lefty-righty rule. There are a few right-handed D-men who can play the left side that I would take over Muzzin. I was happy he got to play in the World Cup on the A-Team in a meaningless tournament. Still it was the A team, or almost anyway, a well deserved cookie for him for his stellar play in Prague. I didn't watch a second of the World Cup tournament though... how did he do? was he alright?

I think he was scratched for the majority of the games, actually.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012

He was all right, but he didn't play much. He played one or two pre-tournament games if I remember correctly, and then the one game against Europe in group stage. He was replaced by Bouwmeester who then played with Doughty the whole tournament, and needs to be said that he played well there.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Keith
Vlasic
Giordano

Will be the 3 lefties.

Muzzin, Bouwmeester aren't at that level as those 3.

Pietrangelo can play left side also so 5 righties, 3 lefties I assume.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Keith
Vlasic
Giordano

Will be the 3 lefties.

Muzzin, Bouwmeester aren't at that level as those 3.

Pietrangelo can play left side also so 5 righties, 3 lefties I assume.

If the NHL participates then we can assume that Keith and Vlasic will be there, but there is very little indication that Hockey Canada is high on Giordano.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
If the NHL participates then we can assume that Keith and Vlasic will be there, but there is very little indication that Hockey Canada is high on Giordano.

looking doubtful that we'll see an NHL Olympics next year...

but if he's interested, he can help his own cause by getting his ass to Paris along with Hamilton, should they get turfed in the 1st. rd.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
looking doubtful that we'll see an NHL Olympics next year...

but if he's interested, he can help his own cause by getting his ass to Paris along with Hamilton, should they get turfed in the 1st. rd.

The closer it gets the more optimistic I am. That the NHL did meet with the IOC and has actually put the time into creating a schedule that factors in Olympic participation helps, though no one can say to what degree. There is still a lot of time, so things can go either way.

As for Giordano, I wouldn't be that interested in an older defenceman with very limited international and playoff experience unless he really separates from the pack on the left side. I don't see that separation right now.

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
It should be:

Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron
Benn-Mcdavid-Seguin
Tavares-Toews-Stamkos
O'Reilly-Getzlaf-Carter
Scheifele-Couture

Keith-Weber
Muzzin-Doguhty
Vlasic-Burns
Pietranglo

Price-Holtby-Dubnyk

Have you seen Weber this year on the Canadiens? It won't be again ever

And why no ekblad

I guarantee ekblad over muzzin

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
The closer it gets the more optimistic I am. That the NHL did meet with the IOC and has actually put the time into creating a schedule that factors in Olympic participation helps, though no one can say to what degree. There is still a lot of time, so things can go either way.

As for Giordano, I wouldn't be that interested in an older defenceman with very limited international and playoff experience unless he really separates from the pack on the left side. I don't see that separation right now.

He was first replacement had their been an injury prior to Sochi to any of the left shot dmen, will try to find the link, but tells you at least he's in the mix for HC, and now the level he's at which arguably is superior then 2014 level he really deserves a chance. He's a good player, much better then present day, Bouwmeester, Muzzin, or Rielly.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
He was first replacement had their been an injury prior to Sochi to any of the left shot dmen, will try to find the link, but tells you at least he's in the mix for HC, and now the level he's at which arguably is superior then 2014 level he really deserves a chance. He's a good player, much better then present day, Bouwmeester, Muzzin, or Rielly.

He may have been in that spot. That doesn't really change that I am not that interested in him at this point, as I said. I don't doubt that he is in the mix for Hockey Canada.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad