Duchene

Keith - Doughty
Vlasic - Letang
Pietrangelo - Burns
Weber

Price
Holtby
Dubnyk

This is what I would do, looks like the strongest lines to me.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
The closer it gets the more optimistic I am. That the NHL did meet with the IOC and has actually put the time into creating a schedule that factors in Olympic participation helps, though no one can say to what degree. There is still a lot of time, so things can go either way.

As for Giordano, I wouldn't be that interested in an older defenceman with very limited international and playoff experience unless he really separates from the pack on the left side. I don't see that separation right now.

You're underrating Gio. His results are amazing. That being said, relationship wise I don't think TC is very interested. On the other end of the spectrum, Weber is going to get the spot because of past play, good relationship, and they like his playing style, even though there are righties that are better now.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
You're underrating Gio. His results are amazing. That being said, relationship wise I don't think TC is very interested. On the other end of the spectrum, Weber is going to get the spot because of past play, good relationship, and they like his playing style, even though there are righties that are better now.

Giordano is good and wouldn't be out of place on that kind of team, but there are question marks with him. A good World Championship would go a long way for him. Weber is, along with Getzlaf, a big test for Hockey Canada is the NHL participates in the Olympics. Hockey Canada hasn't had to cut any of the key players since 2010.

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
Giordano is good and wouldn't be out of place on that kind of team, but there are question marks with him. A good World Championship would go a long way for him. Weber is, along with Getzlaf, a big test for Hockey Canada is the NHL participates in the Olympics. Hockey Canada hasn't had to cut any of the key players since 2010.

Hello Guys/Gals

I have a question, i need to be reassured, regarding under23 Defense man for Canada

Besides Ekblad, Rielly, Murray (from CBJ) - which U23 can i put in the REALLY REALLY good category ? i am a little worried about this

Hamilton?
Nurse?
Chycrun
Parayko (sp) ?
Matheson from Florida (sp) ?
Foote (who knows)

reassure me needed

GetThePuckOuttaHere*

Feb 23, 2017
Hello Guys/Gals

I have a question, i need to be reassured, regarding under23 Defense man for Canada

Besides Ekblad, Rielly, Murray (from CBJ) - which U23 can i put in the REALLY REALLY good category ? i am a little worried about this

Hamilton?
Nurse?
Chycrun
Parayko (sp) ?
Foote (who knows)

reassure me needed

Hamilton and Parayko are fairly easily better than any of the players you mentioned, at least currently.

There is also such a ridiculous amount of upcoming/developing talent that it's pretty much impossible none of them reach your REALLY REALLY good category: Dumba, Morrissey, Chychrun, Chabot, Bean, Snaheim, Theadore, Fabbro, Walman, Fleury, Nurse, Foote, Hague, Makar, Smith, McIsaac, Merkley, Woo, Bouchard, and those are only the young guns I can pull off the top of my head.

Of those, I'd give an "A+" rating for highest chance of making the REALLY REALLY good team to Chychrun, Chabot, and McIsaac.

The only real competition for us on defense is Sweden and the States, who have Werenski and Jones as near locks for national team eventually (maybe Hanifin too, but he's not exceeded expectations whatsoever), and guys like McAvoy, Bode Wilde, and Quinton Hughes as up-and-comers. IMO, though;

Ekblad = Werenski
Parayko = Jones
Hamilton > Hanifin
Chychrun > McAvoy
Chabot > Wilde
McIsaac > Hughes

And obviously our depth is better. But HC need to get their heads out of their ***** and stop being greedy ****s and work on development programs, because the States are catching up quickly with all the support the NHL gives the southern states.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Hello Guys/Gals

Hamilton?
Nurse?
Chycrun
Parayko (sp) ?
Foote (who knows)

reassure me needed

There are none in that age range that you missed who are REALLY REALY good right now, other than maybe Hamilton who is comparable to some of the guys you listed in the first group, but there are prospects who could turn out that way. It takes several years for most defencemen to start showing their real ability. Guys like Severson, Montour, Morrissey, Theodore, Chabot, Sanheim could turn out very well, or not. Canada isn't in as good a spot with regard to young defencemen as it was after the 2003-2008 drafts, but relative to other countries the current position isn't that bad. Room for improvement though.

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
Hamilton and Parayko are fairly easily better than any of the players you mentioned, at least currently.

There is also such a ridiculous amount of upcoming/developing talent that it's pretty much impossible none of them reach your REALLY REALLY good category: Dumba, Morrissey, Chychrun, Chabot, Bean, Snaheim, Theadore, Fabbro, Walman, Fleury, Nurse, Foote, Hague, Makar, Smith, McIsaac, Merkley, Woo, Bouchard, and those are only the young guns I can pull off the top of my head.

Of those, I'd give an "A+" rating for highest chance of making the REALLY REALLY good team to Chychrun, Chabot, and McIsaac.

The only real competition for us on defense is Sweden and the States, who have Werenski and Jones as near locks for national team eventually (maybe Hanifin too, but he's not exceeded expectations whatsoever), and guys like McAvoy, Bode Wilde, and Quinton Hughes as up-and-comers. IMO, though;

Ekblad = Werenski
Parayko = Jones
Hamilton > Hanifin
Chychrun > McAvoy
Chabot > Wilde
McIsaac > Hughes

And obviously our depth is better. But HC need to get their heads out of their ***** and stop being greedy ****s and work on development programs, because the States are catching up quickly with all the support the NHL gives the southern states.

Where would you put Reilly and Murray (CBJ) on your list?

GetThePuckOuttaHere*

Feb 23, 2017
Where would you put Reilly and Murray (CBJ) on your list?

Right after the ones listed. They've both flashed brilliance, but encountered some injuries and I still think they have to make another step to break through. Their situations are unique in that I think both have been used improperly; Reilly was shoved into a #1 role before he should have been, and Murray has been kept out of CBJ's top-4 when he definitely deserves to be in there. Defensemen generally take quite a bit longer to develop than forwards, however, and hit their prime slightly later as well, so there's still a lot of time for them to break trough. You might also throw Morrissey in there; the guy has been a beast for Winnipeg all season long, and is starting to break through offensively. A real wildcard to watch for.

Last edited:

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
Right after the ones listed. They've both flashed brilliance, but encountered some injuries and I still think they have to make another step to break through. Their situations are unique in that I think both have been used improperly; Reilly was shoved into a #1 role before he should have been, and Murray has been kept out of CBJ's top-4 when he definitely deserves to be in there. Defensemen generally take quite a bit longer to develop than forwards, however, and hit their prime slightly later as well, so there's still a lot of time for them to break trough. You might also throw Morrissey in there; the guy has been a beast for Winnipeg all season long, and is starting to break through offensively. A real wildcard to watch for.

Good to know about Morrissey , really havnt followed him at all

The reason i ask is because i find we are not advancing as fast as other nations like USA and Sweden

Have they passed us on the Back end ?

What order do you put these guys in?

Is this an order you would agree ? anyone...im trying to gage with other nations

Ekblad,
Rielly,
Parayko
Murray
Morrissey
Chycrun
Matheson
Hamilton?
Nurse?
Chabot

McIsaac
Foote

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Hard to say right now, but Canada has so many centers so it is hard to leave guys off who are very good. Sometimes you might just need to slide a natural center on the wing.

Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron
Duchene-McDavid-Stamkos
Benn-Tavares-Seguin
Couture-Toews-Carter
O'Reilly

Keith-Doughty
Letang-Burns
Vlasic-Weber
Pietrangelo

Price
Holtby
Crawford

Okay, so no need to change up the goalies from the recent World Cup. I am a little worried going forward that Canada doesn't have that nail in the coffin goalie of the future. Price isn't old, but he's 30 and in 10 years we'll need someone else.

The defensemen, forget that stupid rule Babcock had of having a left and right handed shooting defensemen equally. I never understood that. The defense for the 1976 Canada Cup were all left handed shots and that was the best of all-time. I can't believe I even can't find room for Subban. But in all honesty, with that big ice I think he could be a difference maker. I just don't know who to take off that defense. Vlasic I guess if you had to pick. On the big ice there might be more of a need for the explosive guys rather than stay at home guys. So I certainly could see Subban on there. If an injury happens, he's the first one on that team though.

Up front I love those top three lines. The top line is obvious, no need to mix that up. I have Duchene on the team because of his explosive speed and the fact that I think this is a bit of an off year for him. Look at the speed on your second line though.........wow. The third line all of the guys are elite scorers and your 4th line has Toews for crying out loud. Carter is that normal wild card that can burst out with a huge game. Just not seeing it from Scheifle yet, maybe if he comes out of the gate flying next year he makes it.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I still think there will be a spot opening up for Mackinnon. I know he has not had a good year and has not met expectations but he's got the skill, speed and shot to play a most effective game on big ice with other good players on his line. Slap him on the wing and let him go.

I bet he gets a long look from the braintrust.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I still think there will be a spot opening up for Mackinnon. I know he has not had a good year and has not met expectations but he's got the skill, speed and shot to play a most effective game on big ice with other good players on his line. Slap him on the wing and let him go.

I bet he gets a long look from the braintrust.

I suspect that he will get some consideration, but this year is a big disappointment for everyone on Colorado. MacKinnon hasn't delivered as much as anyone would like to this point. Canada is also loaded on the right side if most of the top players are healthy.

I'm interested in hearing who the ideal linemates for McDavid are. His linemates at the 2016 WC were Marchand and Duchene. That line makes sense in theory, speed and international experience from Duchene and speed plus defence and board play in Marchand, but it never really clicked. Not sure exactly what kind of players best suit him.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I suspect that he will get some consideration, but this year is a big disappointment for everyone on Colorado. MacKinnon hasn't delivered as much as anyone would like to this point. Canada is also loaded on the right side if most of the top players are healthy.

I'm interested in hearing who the ideal linemates for McDavid are. His linemates at the 2016 WC were Marchand and Duchene. That line makes sense in theory, speed and international experience from Duchene and speed plus defence and board play in Marchand, but it never really clicked. Not sure exactly what kind of players best suit him.

That's a very good question indeed Jack.As You said, that line would have seemed to have had just what a guy like Mcdavid would need to get the best out of him but it just never materialized on the ice. It is imperative that we we find the right fit though as he will be an absolute key to Canada's success. We sure don't want to get into the bugaboo we had in getting the right guys for Crosby. I bet edmonton fans, the guys who see him the most, have the best idea of who should flank him. Not sure just how many oil fans spend much time here on the TC threads, perhaps snipe could weigh in on the matter, he knows his stuff.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
I wouldn't mind if McDavid and MacKinnon played together at the Worlds this year, if the chance exists...what do you know, what if they click and you see some spectacular chemistry, which is possible given the fact how skilled and fast they both are. MacKinnon is also the type of a player who can shoot and is not afraid to take the responsibility to shoot, which could play well with McDavid's style of game.

I would seriously want to see these two together.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I wouldn't mind if McDavid and MacKinnon played together at the Worlds this year, if the chance exists...what do you know, what if they click and you see some spectacular chemistry, which is possible given the fact how skilled and fast they both are. MacKinnon is also the type of a player who can shoot and is not afraid to take the responsibility to shoot, which could play well with McDavid's style of game.

I would seriously want to see these two together.

Good call, that might work. I can see Mack snapping home sweet feeds from McD all over the offensive zone.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
I wouldn't mind seeing Carter on his wing actually. Carter can skate, he can finish, and he's actually pretty responsible defensively. Both those guys with their reach and speed could be pretty effective on the big ice together, and Carter would reduce a lot of McDavid's defensive responsibilities.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Looks like you'll ice something like this:

Matt Ellison - Gilbert Brule - Brandon Kozun
Rob Klinkhammer - Max Talbot - Jonathan Cheechoo
Erik Christensen - Martin St. Pierre - Kevin Clark
Daniel Paille - Byron Ritchie - Chris DiDomenico

Chris Lee - Cory Murphy
Cam Barker - Micki Dupont
Shaone Morrissonn - Daine Todd

Joey McDonald
Danny Taylor
Justin Pogge

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012

Chris Lee - Cory Murphy

Joey McDonald
Danny Taylor
Justin Pogge
It has three positives to me:

1) the IOC would maybe understand that the NHL is important for the tournament's popularity

2) the tournament would be pretty even

3) I would absolutely love it if Canada managed to win even without NHLers, lol.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden

1) the IOC would maybe understand that the NHL is important for the tournament's popularity

3) I would absolutely love it if Canada managed to win even without NHLers, lol.

1) the IOC knows this, NHL doesn't know olympics importance for the NHL.

2) It would be status quo when it comes to relative strength except for 3)

3) Canada would be the weakest of the top 7 by a small bit. Canadian tweeners would rather play in the AHL or in a diminished role in the NHL nowadays.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Chris Lee - Cory Murphy

Joey McDonald
Danny Taylor
Justin Pogge

Columbus would probably be quite happy if you said in 2005 that Gilbert Brule would be a candidate to be Canada's top centre at the 2018 Olympics.

Always amusing to see fans buy the NHL's stance even when it disadvantages the fan's (alleged) own interests. Then again if a person is just a fan of exhibitions instead of international hockey, it does all make sense.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
I know Bettman said yesterday assume no, but I imagine that just to be more posturing, I wouldn't take it too seriously.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad