Olympics: Team Canada 2018 Roster discussion

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I can't seem to find an exclusive Olympic roster discussion thread for team canada. For a while it was lumped in with the World Cup.

So.....as of today, what is everyone predictions for Team Canada 2018?

Centres:

Crosby
McDavid
Tavares
toews

wingers:

Stamkos
Mackinnon
sequin
Benn
Hall
Giroux
Oreilly
Bergeron

Defencemen:
Doughty
Keith
Weber
Ekblad
Pietro
Subban
Reilly

Goalies

price
Holtby
Louongo

Okay....I for the life of me can't come up with lines. I selected the four centres as players who I see as least likely to move to wing. Our wing depth is chalk full of versatile centremen, which is a little unsettling, but I think talents triumphs over what position someone plays.

The defencemen are pretty set. Keith will be like this teams version of niedermeyer. The guy is ageless. I struggled not getting Vlasic on the team but ultimately made my last two defencmen a homer pick (Subban) and a futures pick (Reilly). I think HC has a history of grooming players and I see Reilly making huge steps in his development from now until roster selection.

Price and holtby are establishing themselves as the two best tenders in the world. They are locks and will might split early games in the tournament to see who has the hot hand. Third goalie is almost irrelevant, but let's give it to Lou as an emergency backup he has experience and veteran leadership for the locker room. Also kind of a reward for his commitment to HC

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
My prediction is that it's waaay too early to predict.

So much could happen. Surprise players could come out of nowhere, others could flame out. In 2012, who thought that e.g. Benn and Vlasic would be playing in Sochi?

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
My prediction is that it's waaay too early to predict.

So much could happen. Surprise players could come out of nowhere, others could flame out. In 2012, who thought that e.g. Benn and Vlasic would be playing in Sochi?

It's really not that far off though. In a year and a half the summer camp will be taking place.

I think we can at least discuss at this point who the early favourites are and who we think might creep into the discussion

tinozz

Jan 26, 2016
Well since nhl will propably withdraw from the olympics for they're silly exhibition games (worldcup) i wouldnt predict a great line up

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
Well since nhl will propably withdraw from the olympics for they're silly exhibition games (worldcup) i wouldnt predict a great line up

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about that. Good point.

It will probably be a Spengler Cup-like Team Canada.

SenSaddest

Jan 31, 2015
2018 Canada build your roster of the future

had an interesting conversation with my buddy yesterday about what roster we want to see in 2018, who knows if nhl players will be able to go or what not but for fun we made a line-up. Heres mine with predicted line combos.

Stamkos Crosby Tavares
Duchene Toews Seguin
Benn Getzlaf Perry
Stone Mcdavid Mackinnon

extras Hall, Bergeron, Giroux

Subban Doughty
Weber Keith
Pietrangelo Ekblad

extras Burns ,Rielly ,letang?

Price
Holtby
fleury

Rational for forwards- basically 90% of spots are obligatory because these guys hopefully wont fall off. Stone is added for defensive presence with the speed of Mack doing basically the same thing as Duchene. Mcdavid should probably be higher but if we look at past rosters youth is normally slowly incorporated but i could see this line switching with Getzlafs depending on him and Perrys regression (if that happens). i feel like bergeron could man that forth line if Getz does drop off and then you just move up Mcdavid. Giroux is benched because for all the talent in the world he doesnt crack the top six and the other two lines are more two way.

Defense ( this is my ideal players not factoring LH/RH rules Mike has)- Subban will have reached a point of maturity where he will finally be trusted (as a sens fan this pains me to say but he is amazing) and him and doughty will be monsters out there and Weber will have taken a slight step back and him and keith could be the perfect shut down pairing. Alex takes the bottom pairing with his complete game and I think ekblad could be the perfect match in style and tempo. Rielly will be the offensive option they can maybe run if they are playing a faster team like russia or sweden although I feel like he will get the subban treatment for this event.

Goalies- no real surprise, luongo just falls off here due to age and natural regression , final spot could be surprised i could see from a guy like comrie or Calvin Pickard even

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Benn McDavid Seguin
Hall Crosby Bergeron
O'Reilly Toews Stone
Stamkos Tavares MacKinnon
Schwartz, Duchene

Vlasic Doughty
Rielly Subban
Keith Burns
Ekblad, Pietrangelo

Price
Holtby
Crawford

Have to remember that this tournament isn't that far away. I am making a few projections. First, McDavid will quite possibly be the top player in the NHL by that point. He makes it and gets top line duties with Canada's best player combo in Seguin and Benn. Crosby remains elite and retains a prominent role. Bergeron works with Crosby, and I really like his play this year. I doubt he will fall of significantly in less than two years, particularly given that he relies on his brain more than anything else. Hall played well with Crosby at the 2015 World Championships, and I expect that he will score a lot next season due to either learning how to play with McDavid or just getting easier matchups on the second line. Canada is weak on the left side, which also helps him. Toews retains the checking line spot, with Stone and O'Reilly taking the two way winger spots. Tavares is Canada's third best scoring centre in 2018, as I expect that Getzlaf will regress somewhat by then and the need for a player of his type will be lessened on the large ice surface. Stamkos is likely still Canada's best sniper at this point, and MacKinnon brings a very useful skillset for the big ice. Schwartz is another good two way winger that can slot in anywhere, while Duchene is a good soldier for Hockey Canada who has a good attitude but could also play on most lines.

I really like the Vlasic Doughty pairing. Vlasic's style of defending is very well suited to international hockey, and Doughty will be Canada's best defenceman by this point. Subban is and will be Canada's second best right handed defenceman, so he gets a prominent spot. It's a bit of a projection, but I like the way that Rielly is developing and I like his style of play for the bigger ice surface. I think he develops essentially into another Subban who is better defensively but has a worse shot. Keith keeps his spot as his level of play is still quite high and Canada is weak on the left side. Canada will also want to retain his experience. Burns takes Weber's spot, as he seems to be surpassing him now and he also brings the same size/shot element that Weber brings. The emergence of Ekblad on the right side also helps push Weber out, though if Canada goes conservative then Weber will be there. Pietrangelo is an elite defenceman with Olympic experience and the ability to play either side. He's too useful not to bring.

We all know the goaltending situation. Price is the starter, Holtby looks like the backup and any number of guys could be the third player. I would like to see Canada produce some quality young goaltenders.

Last edited:

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Benn McDavid Seguin
Hall Crosby Bergeron
O'Reilly Toews Stone
Schwartz, Duchene

Vlasic Doughty
Rielly Subban
Keith Burns
Ekblad, Pietrangelo

Price
Holtby
Crawford

Have to remember that this tournament isn't that far away. I am making a few projections. First, McDavid will quite possibly be the top player in the NHL by that point. He makes it and gets top line duties with Canada's best player combo in Seguin and Benn. Crosby remains elite and retains a prominent role. Bergeron works with Crosby, and I really like his play this yer. I doubt he will fall of significantly in less than two years, particularly given that he relies on his brain more than anything else. Hall played well with Crosby at the 2015 World Championships, and I expect that he will score a lot next season due to either learning how to play with McDavid or jut getting easier matchups on the second line. Canada is weak on the left side, which also helps him. Toews retains the checking line spot, with Stone and O'Reilly taking the two way winger spots. Tavares is Canada's third best scoring centre in 2018, as I expect that Getzlaf will regress somewhat by then and the need for a player of his type will be lessened on the large ice surface. Stamkos is likely still Canada's best sniper at this point, and MacKinnon brings a very useful skillset for the big ice. Schwartz is another good two way winger that can slot in anywhere, while Duchene is a good soldier for Hockey Canada who hs a good attitude but could also play on most lines.

I really like the Vlasic Doughty pairing. Vlasic's style of defending is very well suited to international hockey, and Doughty will be Canada's best defenceman by this point. Subban is and will be Canada's second best right handed defenceman, so he gets a prominent spot. It's a bit of a projection, but I like the way that Rielly is developing and I like his style of play for the bigger ice surface. I think he develops essentially into another Subban who is better defensively but has a worse shot. Keith keeps his spot as his level of play is still quite high and Canada is weak on the left side. Canada will also want to retain his experience. Burns takes Weber's spot, as he seems to be surpassing him now and he also brings the same size/shot element that Weber brings. The emergence of Ekblad on the right side also helps push Weber out, though if Canada goes conservative then Weber will be there. Pietrangelo is an elite defenceman with Olympic experience and the ability to play either side. He's too useful not to bring.

We all know the goaltending situation. Price is the starter, Holtby looks like the backup and any number of guys could be the third player. I would like to see Canada produce some quality young goaltenders.

Such a long time to wait though. too bad we can't get an international best on best tournament before February 2018. such a shame.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
Benn McDavid Seguin
Hall Crosby Bergeron
O'Reilly Toews Stone
Schwartz, Duchene

Vlasic Doughty
Rielly Subban
Keith Burns
Ekblad, Pietrangelo

Price
Holtby
Crawford

Have to remember that this tournament isn't that far away. I am making a few projections. First, McDavid will quite possibly be the top player in the NHL by that point. He makes it and gets top line duties with Canada's best player combo in Seguin and Benn. Crosby remains elite and retains a prominent role. Bergeron works with Crosby, and I really like his play this yer. I doubt he will fall of significantly in less than two years, particularly given that he relies on his brain more than anything else. Hall played well with Crosby at the 2015 World Championships, and I expect that he will score a lot next season due to either learning how to play with McDavid or jut getting easier matchups on the second line. Canada is weak on the left side, which also helps him. Toews retains the checking line spot, with Stone and O'Reilly taking the two way winger spots. Tavares is Canada's third best scoring centre in 2018, as I expect that Getzlaf will regress somewhat by then and the need for a player of his type will be lessened on the large ice surface. Stamkos is likely still Canada's best sniper at this point, and MacKinnon brings a very useful skillset for the big ice. Schwartz is another good two way winger that can slot in anywhere, while Duchene is a good soldier for Hockey Canada who hs a good attitude but could also play on most lines.

My only question mark on your roster would be Mark Stone. Now, I like Stone a lot and see him play quite often here in Ottawa but, while he's improved in this area since his junior days, his skating could be somewhat of a liability on the international ice, particularly in a presumed defensive/match-up role where he's playing top-line minutes against the opposition's best. Yes, he'll partly make up for it with his superior positioning and feel for the game, but unless Jeff Carter drops off the cliff in the next year and a half (unlikely, IMO) I'd keep it simple and conservative and go with Carter on Toews's right side.

Overall I'd like to see Stone participate for Canada at the Worlds such that his play on the international ice can be evaluated properly.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Perhaps it's because I don't see Reilly enough, or that he is weighed down by a horrid team, but I just don't think he's going to be Top-7 Canada good by then, too many other guys ahead of him. And I think Petro is a little over rated, at least that's what the advanced stats would suggest, same with Weber right now.

It'll also be interesting to see what happens with Stamkos over the next 2 years. Obviously Hockey Canada loves him, but I think he will put up worse numbers each year. I think that injury really deflated him, now he's injured again, and frankly I think he was somewhat the product of St. Louis. That being said, he is still one of Canada's best trigger men. Hopefully I'll be calling myself a damn fool in December 2017 when this team is named assuming NHL players go.

Also Crosby, he had an amazing finish to this year again. If he is still as good then as he is today, that forward group could be really potent with McDavid. So annoying that we don't get to see McDavid in the right jersey come September.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
My only question mark on your roster would be Mark Stone. Now, I like Stone a lot and see him play quite often here in Ottawa but, while he's improved in this area since his junior days, his skating could be somewhat of a liability on the international ice, particularly in a presumed defensive/match-up role where he's playing top-line minutes against the opposition's best. Yes, he'll partly make up for it with his superior positioning and feel for the game, but unless Jeff Carter drops off the cliff in the next year and a half (unlikely, IMO) I'd keep it simple and conservative and go with Carter on Toews's right side.

Overall I'd like to see Stone participate for Canada at the Worlds such that his play on the international ice can be evaluated properly.

Stone doesn't fit the recent model of Canada's utility wingers, but I am interested in seeing him in that role. He is one of several more cerebral two way wingers (similar to when Bergeron plays on the wing) that Canada suddenly has. There also seems to be a lack of wingers (or centres who have wing experience) who have size, speed and a defensive conscience.

Perhaps it's because I don't see Reilly enough, or that he is weighed down by a horrid team, but I just don't think he's going to be Top-7 Canada good by then, too many other guys ahead of him. And I think Petro is a little over rated, at least that's what the advanced stats would suggest, same with Weber right now.

It'll also be interesting to see what happens with Stamkos over the next 2 years. Obviously Hockey Canada loves him, but I think he will put up worse numbers each year. I think that injury really deflated him, now he's injured again, and frankly I think he was somewhat the product of St. Louis. That being said, he is still one of Canada's best trigger men. Hopefully I'll be calling myself a damn fool in December 2017 when this team is named assuming NHL players go.

Also Crosby, he had an amazing finish to this year again. If he is still as good then as he is today, that forward group could be really potent with McDavid. So annoying that we don't get to see McDavid in the right jersey come September.

Rielly is a guess. I like his agility and I like how Babcock is bringing him along. If he stagnates then clearly there is no chance. I am guessing that Canada prefers to bring another left handed defenceman if competition is somewhat close, and I can see Rielly (or Murray possibly) getting close to the required level. Pietrangelo is utilized pretty heavily in defensive settings, which always seems to bring a player down in advanced metrics. I find it hard to believe that he's regressed since his early 20s.

Stamkos hasn't been the same since his leg injury. Part of it is likely physical, and part is definitely that he's changed his game since St. Louis left. On team Canada he won't have to worry about carrying the puck and trying to set guys up. Just get open and shoot, like he did with St. Louis. There isn't really anyone other than Seguin who has his skillset for Canada.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Mark Stone? It's like the Logan Couture phase people had in 2014.

No, those two players will never be on a best on best. Stone skates like a minor league player, he'll never have success at the highest level.

First priority. SKATE. If you can't skate, forget it. That's why Rick Nash will always be in consideration and Babcock loves him. He'll be ahead of Stone even if he has 30 points in the 2018 season.

Getzlaf will be there also, whether you like or not.

Stamkos Crosby Bergeron
Benn Getzlaf Perry/Seguin
Hall Toews Carter
Mackinnon McDavid Nash
Duchene Tavares Giroux

Choose 14.

Last edited:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I don't buy you need to skate like Sergei Fedorov to be an effective big ice or best on best hockey player.

It helps but it is not the be all end all. If you can skate well enough and are a smart player you can still be effective at that level.

Speaking of getzlaf, he is no speedster but he has made out all right at that level.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
I don't buy you need to skate like Sergei Fedorov to be an effective big ice or best on best hockey player.

It helps but it is not the be all end all. If you can skate well enough and are a smart player you can still be effective at that level.

Watch Babcock and Yzerman interviews before Sochi.

They mentioned ''SKATING'' and the word more then 100 times in literally any interview.

Did you see the pace of the Canada games in Sochi? If your feet can't move and your not skating, your useless to Babcock.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Watch Babcock and Yzerman interviews before Sochi.

They mentioned ''SKATING'' and the word more then 100 times in any interview.

Then why is getzlaf a lock if they value it above everything else?

Sure, they prefer all the players to have strong skating but they are not gonna ignore a great player just because he does not skate like the wind.

Sometimes a player brings more to the table then world class skating. Stone MIGHT be one of those guys.

We don't know yet.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005

No, those two players will never be on a best on best. Stone skates like a minor league player, he'll never have success at the highest level.

First priority. SKATE. If you can't skate, forget it. That's why Rick Nash will always be in consideration and Babcock loves him. He'll be ahead of Stone even if he has 30 points in the 2018 season.

Stamkos Crosby Bergeron
Hall Toews Carter
Mackinnon McDavid Nash
Duchene Tavares Giroux

Choose 14.

I hear what you're saying, but there is a little more to it. Lots of players do a whole lot with not the strongest skating ability. Take a look at a Heatley or Tavares, neither are fleet of foot, but have done great things on the international ice. Stone appears to be a pretty cerebral and defensively minded.

Do I think that makes him likely for the team? I don't know. As the poster said it'll be interesting to see what he can do if he plays at the Worlds this year, those are the type of tournaments where we can learn about those types of players.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
I hear what you're saying, but there is a little more to it. Lots of players do a whole lot with not the strongest skating ability. Take a look at a Heatley or Tavares, neither are fleet of foot, but have done great things on the international ice. Stone appears to be a pretty cerebral and defensively minded.

Do I think that makes him likely for the team? I don't know. As the poster said it'll be interesting to see what he can do if he plays at the Worlds this year, those are the type of tournaments where we can learn about those types of players.

You're right in that skating ability doesn't correlate to ability to play on the international ice, but their role matters, too. Stone would presumably be deployed as the RW on the defensive match-up line (i.e., the Toews line), where he would be matched up against the likes of Kane, Ovechkin, Tarasenko, etc. IMO, skating ability matters tremendously in that role which is evident by Babcock lining up Marleau and Carter with Toews in Sochi. Now, Marleau and Carter are very good defensively players, but they're not Selke candidates. What they both are, though, are excellent (elite, really) skaters and really big guys with good scoring ability. Again, it comes down to role and I still take Carter 10 times out of 10 when putting together that roster for 2018 unless he's deteriorated by then or Stone proves he can excel on the international ice.

IMO, Stone is up against the likes of Carter, MacKinnon, Duchene, O'Reilly, Schwartz, Hall, Gallagher, Toffoli and a few other for a utility role. Many factors will dictate who grabs those final few spots, including their ability to play on the larger ice surface and adaptability to multiple roles. Stone is a really good player, but needs to build his resume.

Also, I recall Yzerman allowing for a few "clunkers" on the 2014 team...presumably he was referring to Getzlaf (who's honestly a good skater, just not a good accelerator) and Perry (not a good skater). Getzlaf & Perry earned Yzerman's and Babcock's trust in Vancouver and proved to be possession beasts under Babcock's system in Sochi playing against ridiculously weak matchups.

As far as Stamkos goes, its unlikely he'll ever be a top-3 center in the NHL again, but he's still a rare commodity with his ability to get open and his shooting ability. He'll fill a role for Team Canada.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Stamkos Crosby Bergeron
Hall Toews Carter
Mackinnon McDavid Nash
Duchene Tavares Giroux

Choose 14.

If you're going to rail against Stone's skating ability, you might want to avoid listing Perry, since he directly contradicts everything you said. Stone is better than Couture and fills a specific role better than Couture would have. He's not a lock by any stretch, but as TSN already said Stone is under consideration for the 2016 World Cup team. If he keeps getting better he will have a very good chance to make the Olympic team.

SenSaddest

Jan 31, 2015

Stamkos Crosby Bergeron
Hall Toews Carter
Mackinnon McDavid Nash
Duchene Tavares Giroux

Choose 14.

75 23 38 61 he is a stud , but i mean judging by your user name we might as well invite DD in his place

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Tavares-Crosby-Stamkos
Benn-McDavid-Seguin
Hall-Toews-Bergeron
Mackinnon-Getzlaf-Perry
Giroux/Duchene

Keith-Doughty
Subban-Weber
Vlasic-Burns
Pietrangelo/Ekblad

Price
Holtby
Crawford/Fleury

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Then why is getzlaf a lock if they value it above everything else?

Sure, they prefer all the players to have strong skating but they are not gonna ignore a great player just because he does not skate like the wind.

Sometimes a player brings more to the table then world class skating. Stone MIGHT be one of those guys.

We don't know yet.

or Corey Perry, can't skate for ****. Tavares???...although he has improved his skating considerably.

Mark Stone would be in the mix for a roster spot for a true best on best because of his high IQ. Evander Kane? great skater, low hockey IQ = no shot.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
or Corey Perry, can't skate for ****. Tavares???...although he has improved his skating considerably.

Mark Stone would be in the mix for a roster spot for a true best on best because of his high IQ. Evander Kane? great skater, low hockey IQ = no shot.

Exactly, the brain trust is not looking only at skating, it is important no doubt but they recognize some players bring other things that are important even if they don't have top level skating and they are not going to pass on those guys.

A guy like kane has nothing but skating basically, what good is he even though he can fly?

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
Benn McDavid Seguin
Hall Crosby Duchene
O'Reilly Toews Stone
Schwartz,Monahan

Vlasic Doughty
Subban Pietrangelo
Keith Ekblad
Parayko

Price
Holtby
Crawford

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
I'm not seeing enough love for TJ Brodie here. I say this as an Oiler fan. I think he makes the team before someone like Rielly. He's has proven himself this year and last year as a 1D, is an amazing skater, and will only be 27 at the time of the Olympics.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad