Confirmed Trade: [TBL/NSH] Tanner Jeannot for Cal Foote, c. 2025 1st round pick, 2024 2nd round pick, 2023 3rd, 4th, and 5th round picks

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
The trade made sense, the price paid didn't.

Brisebois assumed Jeannot would run around against the leafs & bruins and do whatever he wanted, whenever he wanted because no one could match his toughness. He f***ed around and found out and against Schenn in game #2. Its a draw. The rest of the lighting "tough guys" are BTFO and quickly abandoned the intimidation strategy used in years past. Jeannot becomes irrelevant and benched after game #4.

You know the rest.

Was not a draw lol. Schenn held in but definitely lost

Reactions: JFleegs

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Will be funny if specifically because he had a bad 2 months once coming to Tampa they were able to sign him dirt cheap long term, and then next year he goes back to playing like he did in his Rookie season.

Yah I'd say slightly in jeannots favor.

Ovi895

Feb 24, 2023
I know Tampa won 2 covid cups and have a finals appearance and all but since getting spanked by Columubs Brisebois traded

1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, both Footes (each a former 1st round pick), 2nd, 2nd, Raddysh, Joseph, bunch of smaller picks

for

Coleman, Goodrow, Savard, Hagel, Jeannot, Paul, -Tyler Johnson

that's SIX first round picks, 8 depending if you count Footes, and at least another 1st rounder worth of lower value picks and prospects like Raddysh

For comparison, Yzerman's last big trade was getting McDonagh AND Miller for Namestnikov, Howden, Hajek, 1st, where Miller alone fetched a 1st and 3rd back, so pretty much getting McDonagh for Namestnikov, Howden and Hajek.

That's like an entire rebuild worth of futures just for solid depth players

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Will be funny if specifically because he had a bad 2 months once coming to Tampa they were able to sign him dirt cheap long term, and then next year he goes back to playing like he did in his Rookie season.

He was bad all season before the trade as well and apparently was pricing himself out of what the Preds wanted to pay him anyway.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
This was really the difference between Tampa and Toronto imo.

Toronto added O'Reilly, McCabe, Acciari and Schenn who were difference makers and Tampa added Jeannot. That said you have a good physical young forward who could just as easily regain form next year.
The Tampa GM was too dumb. Could have traded less picks for all those players that Toronto got. O'Reilly would have helped their center depth, Acciari is better than Raddysh, then they could have maybe traded for someone like Hathaway or maybe Orlov. They traded billions of picks for 1 guy who can't even put 50 points up and can fight, big whop. Could have added better depth and win.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
I know Tampa won 2 covid cups and have a finals appearance and all but since getting spanked by Columubs Brisebois traded

Yes - The value is insane, but beyond just the cups - it let them keep a relatively competitive roster together. The contracts of the players brought in fit their roster in a perfect way and allowed them retain their top and upper middle tier roster players for a longer period of time.

The Jeannot trade is meant to do the same thing, presuming they get him to take that standard "team friendly" contract they have gotten the depth players to sign for over the last decade.

Ovi895

Feb 24, 2023
Yes - The value is insane, but beyond just the cups - it let them keep a relatively competitive roster together. The contracts of the players brought in fit their roster in a perfect way and allowed them retain their top and upper middle tier roster players for a longer period of time.

The Jeannot trade is meant to do the same thing, presuming they get him to take that standard "team friendly" contract they have gotten the depth players to sign for over the last decade.

The biggest thing that led them retain a competitive roster was the 56 game covid season allowing them to line up Kucherov's recovery with the entire RS cap window

Reactions: Holls Blackmail

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I admit I don't get to see Nashville play very often. Coming into the Toronto-Tampa series I wasn't sure what Jeannot we would see - the one from the regular season or the one of legend.

Unfortunately for the Lightning, they got the regular season one.

All that said, watching my Leafs get burned by guys like Hagel and Paul has taught me never to question Tampa's moves..... :laugh:

Reactions: horner

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015

If jeannot had the edge in that fight he would have challenged Schenn again. Instead he crawled back in the hole he came from ! Send him back to Nashville. [MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013

1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, both Footes (each a former 1st round pick), 2nd, 2nd, Raddysh, Joseph, bunch of smaller picks

for

Coleman, Goodrow, Savard, Hagel, Jeannot, Paul, -Tyler Johnson

that's SIX first round picks, 8 depending if you count Footes, and at least another 1st rounder worth of lower value picks and prospects like Raddysh

For comparison, Yzerman's last big trade was getting McDonagh AND Miller for Namestnikov, Howden, Hajek, 1st, where Miller alone fetched a 1st and 3rd back, so pretty much getting McDonagh for Namestnikov, Howden and Hajek.

...just for solid depth players that helped them do what? (Hint: it's conveniently at the beginning of your post)

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
If jeannot had the edge in that fight he would have challenged Schenn again. Instead he crawled back in the hole he came from ! Send him back to Nashville. [MOD]
He did challenge Schenn again. There’s a clip of it lmao

Ovi895

Feb 24, 2023
...just for solid depth players that helped them do what? (Hint: it's conveniently at the beginning of your post)

Does that automatically make all those moves good? Does that mean there is automatically one out of 32 teams every year all of whose moves are beyond reproach?

What if they traded 10 first round picks for Blake Coleman? Still doesn't matter because results? Or 10 first rounders for Brandon Hagel, after all he's part of that group even if he didn't win any cups for them

They let Carter Verhaeghe walk for nothing despite having the option to retain him cheaply in 2020 when they'd have traded 3 first rounders for him later that year if he was available at a mil for 2 years

nuxnux1

Oct 17, 2022
So just be content with the past and don't try to improve?

Bold strategy. Let's see if it pays off.
No but making these high risk moves for low contracts has worked for them so I’ll give the benefit of the doubt to the gm there

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Brisebois has basically said TB is not rebuilding and will continue to retool under the core of Hedman, Stamkos, Kucherov etc until they're gone.
That's fair.
He's also not wrong about the fact after the end of the 1st round,
it's a lottery with hitting on quality players.
That being said we'll see if the Jeannot trade works out.
Personally I like TJ, modern day enforcer who can check and penalty kill -
and had a crazy shooting % in his rookie year.
If they can get him signed to a Paul type contract great.
His skating looked to be an issue in the Leafs series.

I disagree with the Schenn fight changing the series. He actually let
up on Schenn after landing an upper cut which cut Luke open.
TB choking away two 3rd period leads at home and not winning an
OT game is what did them in

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille