Confirmed Trade: [TBL/NSH] Tanner Jeannot for Cal Foote, c. 2025 1st round pick, 2024 2nd round pick, 2023 3rd, 4th, and 5th round picks

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
It's possible, but I don't see Tampa having made that kind of trade for a rental. Since it's been rumored that Nashville and him were close on a deal for around 2 or so aav for 6 years I believe, I doubt Tampa pays much more. I think JBB probably has some idea of what it's going to take to sign him on at least a mid year deal, as he usually has a good plan for the years ahead. I think they'll come to an agreeable # for both sides without risking arbitration or losing him.

Hope so, I'd hate to see his agent leverage us because of it.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
lol mmhmm
As a Nashville fan I can confirm this was in case the fact. The HERD line as it was called was used for that purpose, and ice time wise ended up playing more like 2nd line minutes rather than 3rd or 4th.

The big thing for Tampa fans to keep in mind that all of those stats from last season were primarily before February. Jeannot pretty much hit a wall and fell off a cliff at that point of the season and hasn't really climbed back up since.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
As a Nashville fan I can confirm this was in case the fact. The HERD line as it was called was used for that purpose, and ice time wise ended up playing more like 2nd line minutes rather than 3rd or 4th.

The big thing for Tampa fans to keep in mind that all of those stats from last season were primarily before February. Jeannot pretty much hit a wall and fell off a cliff at that point of the season and hasn't really climbed back up since.
Not only hit a wall but teams started to key in on what the Herd line was looking to do and also took advantage of Jeannot's over-willingness to drop the gloves to disrupt their game (when he's far more effective actually being on the ice).

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
A little early to say that when they haven't even drafted the players they got with the picks.
It will be interesting if they got a 30 goal scorer with a late pick on a contract for less than two million for 2 1/4 seasons.

Who they pick afterwards is irrelevant. We know the value of those picks at the moment of the trade - and it was way too much given Jeannot’s value.
We were talking Hagel's contract. I think JBB overpayed for Jeannot as of now, but only the future and contract extension would tell.

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
It will be interesting if they got a 30 goal scorer with a late pick on a contract for less than two million for 2 1/4 seasons.

We were talking Hagel's contract. I think JBB overpayed for Jeannot as of now, but only the future and contract extension would tell.
Hawks got exactly what they needed from the Hagel trade and so did TB. No one was fleeced.

Hagel on the Hawks helps them stay out of the basement for 3 seasons. Having Hagel didn't help us at this time and there is a way lower likelihood of him having this kind of success on a roster like the Hawks.

It was a win-win trade. Looking forward to seeing how much money/term Hagel gets and where on his next contract. Does TB feel they will have space?

Reactions: Outl4w

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Hawks got exactly what they needed from the Hagel trade and so did TB. No one was fleeced.

Hagel on the Hawks helps them stay out of the basement for 3 seasons. Having Hagel didn't help us at this time and there is a way lower likelihood of him having this kind of success on a roster like the Hawks.

It was a win-win trade. Looking forward to seeing how much money/term Hagel gets and where on his next contract. Does TB feel they will have space?
That is a good question and JBB has his work cut out with him. Do the hawks want to take on another undercoating center in celly ?

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
Wait but who got Kucherov, Point, Cernakk, Sergachev, Vasy, Palat, etc? Oh right it was Stevey Y
The two hardest things to find in Hockey a #1 number one center and #1 defencemen. Steve Y was lucky enough to inherit both. I wasn't taking anything away from him but, those are really good building blocks to start with. Some franchises have never had a defence or center the caliber of Stamkos and Hedman. My point was that the not one person should get full credit for the Tampa Bay Lightnings championships.

Reactions: torontoblood

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Won't pretend to know the player very well, but watched the game yesterday and he was basically invisible. Which is fine, but I was surprised at how slow he looked. I though the report on him was size with good wheels?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Won't pretend to know the player very well, but watched the game yesterday and he was basically invisible. Which is fine, but I was surprised at how slow he looked. I though the report on him was size with good wheels?
I wouldn't say he has any particular speed element to his game at all. At best he is "average" in terms of speed. By constantly hustling, he can look effective enough, and when he's forechecking he definitely makes players hear footsteps - but due to the physical threat, not because of pure closing speed.

He was kind of notorious for his training/physical preparation with the Preds. It's possible he took some of that a step too far this year, I don't know... I wouldn't say he definitely looked slower for us, though, just more of a general lowering of his game in all areas relative to last season.
:dunno:

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
I wouldn't say he has any particular speed element to his game at all. At best he is "average" in terms of speed. By constantly hustling, he can look effective enough, and when he's forechecking he definitely makes players hear footsteps - but due to the physical threat, not because of pure closing speed.

He was kind of notorious for his training/physical preparation with the Preds. It's possible he took some of that a step too far this year, I don't know... I wouldn't say he definitely looked slower for us, though, just more of a general lowering of his game in all areas relative to last season.
:dunno:
Got it, thanks. Interesting player, weird that his production would fall off a cliff the past year.

Still have this sense that when the playoffs come he will have a second gear, but his playoff stats are pretty underwhelming and if he doesn't skate well....

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
So, if I read it right the Lightning have about 2 mill in space with Jeannot (RFA), Killorn (UFA), Bellemare (UFA), Perry (UFA), Ross (RFA), Ian Cole (UFA) to make a decision on.

I'm not going to dive deep into what Tampa is going to do, but with Jeannot not producing both with Nashville and now Tampa and being RFA I can see Tampa going to him with a 1, maybe 2 year deal at cheap and telling him he'll get top 6 minutes and 2nd unit pp time, or just getting Killorn's ice time.

Assuming Tampa goes in that direction, I can see people singing a different tune next season like Hagel.

Hagel trade I took a loss and a win. I said I wouldn't do that deal, but it isn't really to be judged until the next season and the dude is going to put up 60+ points, so definitely seems worth it.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
So, if I read it right the Lightning have about 2 mill in space with Jeannot (RFA), Killorn (UFA), Bellemare (UFA), Perry (UFA), Ross (RFA), Ian Cole (UFA) to make a decision on.

I'm not going to dive deep into what Tampa is going to do, but with Jeannot not producing both with Nashville and now Tampa and being RFA I can see Tampa going to him with a 1, maybe 2 year deal at cheap and telling him he'll get top 6 minutes and 2nd unit pp time, or just getting Killorn's ice time.

Assuming Tampa goes in that direction, I can see people singing a different tune next season like Hagel.

Hagel trade I took a loss and a win. I said I wouldn't do that deal, but it isn't really to be judged until the next season and the dude is going to put up 60+ points, so definitely seems worth it.
I guess it depends on how low they can keep Colton and Jeannot... but seems like they can make the Cap if they keep them at $2.75Mish and under (each).... :dunno:

1679510925056.png

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Got it, thanks. Interesting player, weird that his production would fall off a cliff the past year.

Still have this sense that when the playoffs come he will have a second gear, but his playoff stats are pretty underwhelming and if he doesn't skate well....
We all assumed at the start of the season it was him dialing it back some so that he didn't hit the wall like he did last year at the end of the season. Problem is he didn't really start ramping that effort up after the All Star weekend so it may or may not be there.

Could just be one of those guys that had the run of his life and now that he has made it kind of lets his foot off the throttle a bit. Definitely wouldn't be the first guy it has happened too. Hopefully he finds that gear again though cause even if he wasn't scoring he was fun to watch.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.

Tampa will have more than 2 million in space. If they waive or trade Fleury and are able to move out Myers to save another 275k, they'll have around 10.5 million to sign Colton, Jeannot. Eyssimont, backup G, 3LD, and 2 additional F to reach at least a 21 player roster. If they choose to keep Fleury, they'll have around 9.75. It's doable since the backup G will be 850k, the 2 bottom line F adds, whether from Syracuse or another low cost ufa add, will be 1.75-2ish, so Tampa will have around 8 million left to keep Colton, Jeannot, Eyssimont and a 3LD, or just over 7 for those 3 F. A lot will depend on how they want to address the 3LD position and if Fleury is in their plan vs a trade for someone like Seeler or a ufa such as Kulikov.

The two main losses will be Killorn and most likely Cole, unless either takes considerably below what they could get on the market to stay in Tampa, or the Lightning do something strange and value keeping Killorn for his 34-38 year old seasons over Colton or Cirelli. There's a slim chance they could find the space(if Killorn takes a decent discount), by giving him the $ they'd pay Jeannot plus a little extra, but that's doubtful. It will be a tight fit, but Tampa can make it work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad