Waived: Taylor Pyatt - Claimed By Pitt 1/2

Richter35

Oct 30, 2006
great news. I hope that now MDZ is traded for a decent forward to balance out the lineup

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Well, I don't put much stock in to the bold. Those guys are successful due to playing with Crosby and Malkin. They are moderately skilled players who would likely be 2nd liners elsewhere (Kunitz a 2nd line tweener). Look at how poor Neal played when he was originally acquired, for example.

If you put a moderately skilled guy with a superstar like a Crosby or Malkin, they are going to put up points.

I'm not suggesting that they unearthed talent. But they did make shrewd moves to add those two guys as they had the prospects to get those deals done.

SlingshotVv

arm-bar all the things
Sep 28, 2009
Colonia, NJ
Yeah! I love being a Ranger fan and always rooting for a mediocre team! No elite talent, no deep playoff runs. Really ****ing exciting!!!

You'd rather be a pens fan and tank entire decades to have elite talent for a decade? If you're *****ing about mediocrity I'd love to see how you'd feel about 7 bottom 5 finishes in 10 seasons. Or about watching a team that has no compete level, no scoring talent, and no defense or goaltending ( which is all required for that level of suck), night in and night out, season after season, with top picks that don't necessarily pan out as reward sometimes, like the Morozov era Pens. I'm sure you'd be positively looking to the future *rolls eyes*

And if you don't think Lundqvist, McDonagh, and Nash are elite talent, I'm sure you'd handle a team of scrubs well.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
You guys are hilarious. You want elite talent yet you're not willing to tank. This team loses a few games in a row and this board nearly implodes. I would honestly, love to see what this place would look like after FIVE (yes.. FIVE) years of being in the gutter

Half of you would be at the bottom of the grand canyon

Actually, that describes you.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
You guys are hilarious. You want elite talent yet you're not willing to tank. This team loses a few games in a row and this board nearly implodes. I would honestly, love to see what this place would look like after FIVE (yes.. FIVE) years of being in the gutter

I actually think that most of this board would be fine with the team in the cellar if we knew that was the plan and that's what was expected. Fans are capable of seeing the end game in a long-term plan. The problem is two-fold: a.) we don't trust management to stick with it/execute properly and b.) that isn't the expectation of this particular team.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
You'd rather be a pens fan and tank entire decades to have elite talent for a decade? If you're *****ing about mediocrity I'd love to see how you'd feel about 7 bottom 5 finishes in 10 seasons. Or about watching a team that has no compete level, no scoring talent, and no defense or goaltending ( which is all required for that level of suck), night in and night out, season after season, with top picks that don't necessarily pan out as reward sometimes, like the Morozov era Pens. I'm sure you'd be positively looking to the future *rolls eyes*

You don't need 5 years. Chicago struck gold with Toews in 2006 and Kane in 2007. Add to them the shrewd trades and lower round draft picks that their management has been able to accomplish ever since their owner changed, and you have what might become a dynasty.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Maybe he was proud because the Rangers were actually trying to win then.

In my mind, thats sadder than any tanking.

The charming thing about the Rangers is that they've always tried to build a team the right way by the fans. Meaning they're not going to pull a ****sburgh and tank consecutively to hoarde the generational talent through the draft.

I think that's why 94 was so special. The Rangers were a good team that brought in the right players to compliment homegrown guys, and they won on a combination of heart skill and grit

SlingshotVv

arm-bar all the things
Sep 28, 2009
Colonia, NJ
You don't need 5 years. Chicago struck gold with Toews in 2006 and Kane in 2007. Add to them the shrewd traded that their management has been able to accomplish ever since their owner changed, and you have what might become a dynasty.

Struck gold is right. Look at Tampa, Florida, NYI, Edmonton, Ottawa. Teams that have lost for entire generations. It's no guarantee

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
The charming thing about the Rangers is that they've always tried to build a team the right way by the fans. Meaning they're not going to pull a ****sburgh and tank consecutively to hoarde the generational talent through the draft.

What flavor is the MSG Kool-Aid?

I think that's why 94 was so special. The Rangers were a good team that brought in the right players to compliment homegrown guys, and they won on a combination of heart skill and grit

I have no idea what this is supposed to mean.

The 94 team was so special because they won the Cup.

Last edited:

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Building a team with no longterm plan or foresight is not the right way to build a team, by any definition, at any level.

'94 was different. The team was in the midst of a 50+ year drought, and willing to do anything to get a Cup. Why have the Rangers acted the same way for the past 20 years? ESPECIALLY considering they haven't had pieces in place even resembling a championship team?

But no, Glen Sather putting together a mediocre roster every year and telling you "we're going to win the Stanley Cup" makes you happy and proud as a fan, despite spitting in the face of reality.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
And if you don't think Lundqvist, McDonagh, and Nash are elite talent, I'm sure you'd handle a team of scrubs well.

And a franchise center? Where is that? Every Cup team has had elite centers. Even Bergeron and Krejci are better than whatever we have.

And Nash was someone else's elite talent. And he sure hasn't impressed me this year.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville

Charming is a good word considering the blinders some people have regarding the reality of this franchise.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Actually, that describes you.

I'm a fan of a quick re-tool. Which is completely different than sucking relentlessly for 5 seasons and drafting ALL the generational talent

Source?

Source for what? Is there a way to quote 90% of the posts on this board?

About the same way it looked from 1998-2004.

And RIP to all those good Ranger fans lost in the sucking. Good thing we were able to repopulate after Jagr revived the team post lockout

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Why does everyone always call it tanking when talking Rangers?

They do not need to tank, they need to build with a direction. Sell the players who are not going to be good in 2, 3, 4 years and get some decent draft picks and youth that will be just entering the NHL in 2, 3, 4 years.

No one knows how long or how quickly it would take to turn it around, Ranger have some good young pieces that should be around for a long time, they have a goalie.

It's more about saying hey we have something in McD, let's figure out a player to pair him with long term. That Kreider kid is pretty good, Stepan fits, let's see if we can build something there, Nash or not. Stralman has not been bad, let's see if maybe he'll accept an extension right now that maybe leaves some money on the table. Hey I bet if we sell Boyle, MDZ maybe we could get back something that fits in better with Brassard, oh does he need a new contract too, well he's not playing so great, see if he'll take an extension that leaves some money on the table.

Instead it's forget all that, we'll just wait until they all turn free agents and either resign them or some other free agents at peak cost, let arbitration deal with whatever does not work out and call it a off-season.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
I'm a fan of a quick re-tool. Which is completely different than sucking relentlessly for 5 seasons and drafting ALL the generational talent

And RIP to all those good Ranger fans lost in the sucking. Good thing we were able to repopulate after Jagr revived the team post lockout

Yeah, you enjoy watching a team with no plan, no foresight. Just Glen Sather giving nice soundbites like "Our goal is to win a Stanley Cup." I'll continue to watch teams with elite talent and depth like Chicago continue to win playoff games, wondering why the Rangers are so clueless in comparison.

sickboy35

Jun 4, 2002
trenton
Visit site

we were here during the time they sucked, didnt you read Singins post? all of us old guys were on different board before here so yeah we know what its like? all we got was Jessiman!:sarcasm:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

Not sure either. Finding the right combination of guys to bring in to compliment homegrown players is pretty difficult. People seem to look at 94 as the culmination of the time from the Messier trade on, and forget that the Rangers actually had a pretty decent record of player development for about a decade before. The homegrown 1994 guys were the 2nd wave of youth to come through in that decade... and the team traded away their two of their best to achieve it. Following 94, the youth movement was completely lost.

In the first wave was players like Ridley, Dahlen, Sandstrom, Granato, Patrick, Turcotte, Erixon, Ruotsolainen, Miller, Vanbiesbrouck. All quality NHLers. They tried complimenting them with players like Larouche, Podubny, Kisio, Ogrodnick and eventually Gartner and Nicholls. It didn't work.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
What flavor is the MSG Kool-Aid?

The 94 team was so special because they won the Cup.

It means you don't have to suck relentlessly to win. You can do it with the right group of guys + hard work and the will to win. The 2012 team was close but ultimately ended up being arguable 1 30 goal scorer and a #6 dman away from the promiseland

Charming is a good word considering the blinders some people have regarding the reality of this franchise.

The reality of this franchise as of TODAY unfortunately is injuries and wear and tear. Nash, Callahan, Staal and Girardi, barring a complete 180 in their play, are nowhere near the level of play they were a few years ago.

Nash's concussions. Callahan's EVERYTHING. Staal's eye + concussion. Girardi being basically Hank's human shield. These guys are deteriorating right in front of our eyes, and that's a huge problem.

Yeah, you enjoy watching a team with no plan, no foresight. Just Glen Sather giving nice soundbites like "Our goal is to win a Stanley Cup." I'll continue to watch teams with elite talent and depth like Chicago continue to win playoff games, wondering why the Rangers are so clueless in comparison.

So why are you here? Go watch Chicago and Pit..

When did I ever say I enjoyed watching a team with no plan..all I said was there's no honor in **** tanking and that what PIT did would never fly here

we were here during the time they sucked, didnt you read Singins post? all of us old guys were on different board before here so yeah we know what its like? all we got was Jessiman!:sarcasm:

We also wound up with Montoya though!

Seriously though, different era. We've drafted some VERY nice players post-lockout. Lundqvist, Callahan, Kreider, Stepan, Miller

Dubinsky + Anisimov (which turned into Nash)

I trust Gordie and the rest of the scouts now 100x more than the ass clowns from the dark ages

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad