Value of: Taylor Hall's next contract

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
NJ never offered him an 8 year deal. Obviously if a team hypothetically offered him an 8 year deal he should have taken it. But no one ever did. The link you put up is titled:
Why NJ Devils' Ray Shero never offered Taylor Hall a contract
Did you read the article or are you headline surfing. Literally the first paragraph:

Despite ongoing dialogue between the New Jersey Devils and Taylor Hall regarding a multi-year contract extension, at some point, it became clear that Hall was not going to re-sign with the team that he became a Hart Trophy winner with, at least not this season.

---

"So where did it go wrong? Hall never said he didn’t want to play in New Jersey but he also didn’t say he wanted out of New Jersey. What he did say is that he wanted to win and the Devils have only done that 10 times this season. They’re the second-worst team in the league, just above the Detroit Red Wings, who aren’t even really trying to win right now.
"It became clear a month ago that this is not team capable of winning, so when Hall and Ferris met with Shero in Montreal in November, shortly before Hynes was fired, Shero told him he had to trade him."

---

The point still stands, if hall had been willing to resign in nj and get an 8 year deal at the time he wouldve made much more money in his career and that decision has cost him a lot of money. Shero didn't trade him bc NJ didn't want him, he traded him bc it "became clear Hall was no going to re-sign."

Actually read articles and not headlines...

Last edited:

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
I could see Edmonton being a good fit TBH. I would not like it as a Flames fan but if they got him at or under 6M for 4-5 years I’d think that’d be really solid. I am not familiar with their cap situation though so I am not sure how realistic that would be this summer.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I no think he will sign another 1 year deal somewhere to build back some value for when the cap goes up. This year so far has been worst case scenario for him. He either double down on it, or takes a big hit on a long term deal.
Interesting one to follow.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
Did you read the article or are you headline surfing. Literally the first paragraph:

Despite ongoing dialogue between the New Jersey Devils and Taylor Hall regarding a multi-year contract extension, at some point, it became clear that Hall was not going to re-sign with the team that he became a Hart Trophy winner with, at least not this season.

---

"So where did it go wrong? Hall never said he didn’t want to play in New Jersey but he also didn’t say he wanted out of New Jersey. What he did say is that he wanted to win and the Devils have only done that 10 times this season. They’re the second-worst team in the league, just above the Detroit Red Wings, who aren’t even really trying to win right now.
"It became clear a month ago that this is not team capable of winning, so when Hall and Ferris met with Shero in Montreal in November, shortly before Hynes was fired, Shero told him he had to trade him."

---

The point still stands, if hall had been willing to resign in nj and get an 8 year deal at the time he wouldve made much more money in his career and that decision has cost him a lot of money. Shero didn't trade him bc NJ didn't want him, he traded him bc it "became clear Hall was no going to re-sign."

Actually read articles and not headlines...
I read the article. Where does it say the Devils would have offered him 8 years after the knee injury.

"To be fair, there were no salient discussions on either side. Hall’s camp, led by his agent, Darren Farris, never presented Shero and managing partners Josh Harris and David Blitzer with any numbers or term."

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I read the article. Where does it say the Devils would have offered him 8 years after the knee injury.

"To be fair, there were no salient discussions on either side. Hall’s camp, led by his agent, Darren Farris, never presented Shero and managing partners Josh Harris and David Blitzer with any numbers or term."
I literally quoted where Shero knew hall wanted to go elsewhere so he didn't make an offer. What pending 28 year old ufa top tier player hasn't gotten a max term contract in the last decade? They all take the max term for the max security. I'm not going to keep connecting dots for you, at some point use the precedent of every other high profile pending ufa to determine to term that they all go after (it is max term), and then use common sense and read between the lines that the devils wanted to keep him but when they knew he wanted to go elsewhere they cut bait for the max return they could get. Him not engaging them on a deal has cost him a ton of money plain and simple. If you want to pretend otherwise go ahead...

Last edited:

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
He will get traded to a contender in the next few weeks.

If he lights it up for the remaining games plus playoffs, this shit start will be all of forgotten and a big long term awaits.

Because teams are stupid and don't learn. I wouldn't want my team to give him a big long term deal, regardless of cap space. His contract will most assuredly become and albatross in short order.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Hall is currently on a one year by 8M contract, and through 27 games with the Sabres he has 2 goals and 16 points. He had hopes of betting on himself this year and signing a big (10+ mill?) contract this off season. .

Frolunda

ChicksDigTheTrap

Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
I literally quoted where Shero knew they wanted to go elsewhere so he didn't make an offer. What pending 28 year old ufa top tier player hasn't gotten a max term contract in the last decade? They all take the max term for the max security. I'm not going to keep connecting dots for you, at some point use the precedent of every other high profile pending ufa to determineC to term that they all go after (it is max term), and then use common sense and read between the lines that the devils wanted to keep him but when they knew he wanted to go elsewhere they cut bait for the max return they could get. Him not engaging them on a deal has cost him a ton of money plain and simple. If you want to pretend otherwise go ahead...
If Hall was still a top tier UFA that would be the case. Unfortunately for Hall he has not played like one since the knee injury. It appears the NHL GMs agree with me since no one offered him a long term deal last year. It only seems some HFB posters cannot see that he has declined since the knee injury. Which season since the knee injury has he played like a top tier player?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
He should do what he should have done this year, take a < $5 million contract with a contender, prove he can be a valuable member of a winning franchise and then cash in.
Agreed, but then there is an agent who would never go for this...........too bad.
Buffalo has been a terrible fit for this guy, who bet on himself, and lost.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Agreed, but then there is an agent who would never go for this...........too bad.
Buffalo has been a terrible fit for this guy, who bet on himself, and lost.

It was an incredible lack of short term thinking. Why take the highest offer from Buffalo? To get the guaranteed income right now, right away? Or play the long game and put Hall in a position to make the $8 million Buffalo is paying him look like peanuts to what he could have gotten on a long term deal if he had a big year on a contender and proved he can play winning hockey.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
If Hall was still a top tier UFA that would be the case. Unfortunately for Hall he has not played like one since the knee injury. It appears the NHL GMs agree with me since no one offered him a long term deal last year. It only seems some HFB posters cannot see that he has declined since the knee injury. Which season since the knee injury has he played like a top tier player?
he was offered long term deals at discounts with the cap crunch so he decided to take the higher dollar one year deal betting on himself and it hasn't worked, and again he has cost himself money. this was reported on during the offseason, goggle the articles if you'd like. I'm done doing the work for you.

ChicksDigTheTrap

Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
he was offered long term deals at discounts with the cap crunch so he decided to take the higher dollar one year deal betting on himself and it hasn't worked, and again he has cost himself money. this was reported on during the offseason, goggle the articles if you'd like. I'm done doing the work for you.
By who? According to Friedman only Columbus offered longer than a year and he did not know what?

"Hall had a lot of teams saying, “Once we move this, we can pay you this,” even on a one-year deal. I think he was intrigued by Boston and Vegas, but neither could commit without moving money. (I’m not convinced Colorado even got that far.) With cash so tight, who knows how long it would have taken? Even then, many of the offers were around $3 million less than Buffalo’s offer. (It’s possible the Bruins were closer, willing to stretch for Hall, but that’s unconfirmed.)
It’s a lot to leave on the table, especially in a year where at least 28 per cent of your salary is to be withheld. Columbus had a longer-term offer, but I don’t know how high the number went. Hall wanted to know where he was playing. He didn’t want to sit and wait. The Sabres were in and committed, with a coach he likes and the best centre he’s ever played with. It’s bold. The NHL needs that."

31 Thoughts: Inside the tough, tense early days of NHL free agency - Sportsnet.ca

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
By who? According to Friedman only Columbus offered longer than a year and he did not know what?

"Hall had a lot of teams saying, “Once we move this, we can pay you this,” even on a one-year deal. I think he was intrigued by Boston and Vegas, but neither could commit without moving money. (I’m not convinced Colorado even got that far.) With cash so tight, who knows how long it would have taken? Even then, many of the offers were around $3 million less than Buffalo’s offer. (It’s possible the Bruins were closer, willing to stretch for Hall, but that’s unconfirmed.)
It’s a lot to leave on the table, especially in a year where at least 28 per cent of your salary is to be withheld. Columbus had a longer-term offer, but I don’t know how high the number went. Hall wanted to know where he was playing. He didn’t want to sit and wait. The Sabres were in and committed, with a coach he likes and the best centre he’s ever played with. It’s bold. The NHL needs that."

31 Thoughts: Inside the tough, tense early days of NHL free agency - Sportsnet.ca
What you just quoted is exactly what I said, he didn't wait for them to move money or agree to wait, he took a higher dollar 1 year contract and left money on the table from a long term offer...

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
What teams made him solid offers?
I mean the article above said essentially wait on us to move money from multiple teams. I dont know what else you want. Teams weren't going to make formal offers and get locked into a cap mess prior to moving money so other teams could hold them hostage to become cap compliant. For some reason you have an ax to grind here and it started with arguing about the NJ situation and now it progressing to his last contract as a UFA. If we aren't going to see eye to eye I'm at the point of just saying "ok" and moving on. It's alright to do that, but my firm opinion is Taylor Hall has cost himself a ton of money by how he handled his status in NJ and some of it is his fault and a lot is out of his control, but had be signed a contract extension he would be in a much better place financially than his is going to be at anytime in the next several years. If you don't agree with that than that is your prerogative.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I could see Edmonton being a good fit TBH. I would not like it as a Flames fan but if they got him at or under 6M for 4-5 years I’d think that’d be really solid. I am not familiar with their cap situation though so I am not sure how realistic that would be this summer.

We have over 20 million in cap this summer to address holes in the roster. We need a goalie and a potential Klefbom replacement so a decent chunk is spoken for

ChicksDigTheTrap

Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
I mean the article above said essentially wait on us to move money from multiple teams. I dont know what else you want. Teams weren't going to make formal offers and get locked into a cap mess prior to moving money so other teams could hold them hostage to become cap compliant. For some reason you have an ax to grind here and it started with arguing about the NJ situation and now it progressing to his last contract as a UFA. If we aren't going to see eye to eye I'm at the point of just saying "ok" and moving on. It's alright to do that, but my firm opinion is Taylor Hall has cost himself a ton of money by how he handled his status in NJ and some of it is his fault and a lot is out of his control, but had be signed a contract extension he would be in a much better place financially than his is going to be at anytime in the next several years. If you don't agree with that than that is your prerogative.
We do agree on one thing - it is time to move on:thumbu:

Reactions: bleedblue94

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino